Sign in to follow this  
Colchester fan

We have brought in the Para's on Saturday............

but only for pre match and mid match entertainment [:)]From our official site.Soldiers will be launching their own pitch invasion at Colchester United this weekend - armed with musical instruments.The

Band of The Parachute Regiment, based at Merville Barracks, Colchester

Garrison, will be providing on-field musical entertainment before this

Saturday''s match versus Norwich City at the Community Stadium, and at

half-time.Outside the ground there will also be a number of

stands for different Army Regiments and Corps, including The Royal

Anglian Regiment, which recruits from this region and the 1st Battalion

is currently serving in Afghanistan. Also in attendance will

be troops from the Territorial Army unit, 36 (Eastern) Signal Squadron

(Volunteers) based at the Garrison. There will also be a number of interactive activities, including a climbing tower which the crowd can take part in.

That''s great, hope all our men and women in uniform receive arousing welcome from City and Colchester fans alike - I am sure they will.

Just out of curiousity how many free tickets did the para''s get for the game then? One way to fill a stadium..

[quote user="Colorado Canary"]

That''s great, hope all our men and women in uniform receive arousing welcome from City and Colchester fans alike - I am sure they will.

Just out of curiousity how many free tickets did the para''s get for the game then? One way to fill a stadium..

[/quote]Not sure mate, the services lads/lasses get a special price anyway for games at the WHCS, there are always a fair number at our home games I suspect there will be more than normal for this one. I dont know where these guys will sit to watch the game there are spare seats allocated for giveaways from the club that are not included in the official (Paid) attendance figures, so they will probably be in those on the West stand.

It''s also a good way to have a few heavies available if things get out of hand, it would not be the 1st time we have used the army as stewards and they dont take their duties lightly, I remember a game against Bradford City years ago where their fans got a right pasting!

[quote user="Colchester fan"]It''s also a good way to have a few heavies available if things get out of hand, it would not be the 1st time we have used the army as stewards and they dont take their duties lightly, I remember a game against Bradford City years ago where their fans got a right pasting![/quote]I remember that - ouch!

[quote user="jibbajabba"][quote user="Colchester fan"]It''s also a good way to have a few heavies available if things get out of hand, it would not be the 1st time we have used the army as stewards and they dont take their duties lightly, I remember a game against Bradford City years ago where their fans got a right pasting![/quote]I remember that - ouch![/quote]Loved those donkey jackets [:D]

[quote user="Colchester fan"][quote user="Colorado Canary"]

[/quote]

Not sure mate, the services lads/lasses get a special price anyway for games at the WHCS, there are always a fair number at our home games I suspect there will be more than normal for this one. I dont know where these guys will sit to watch the game there are spare seats allocated for giveaways from the club that are not included in the official (Paid) attendance figures, so they will probably be in those on the West stand.
[/quote]

..and if any of them are City fans will they be refused entry or " moved" ??

[quote user="McCanary"][quote user="Colchester fan"][quote user="Colorado Canary"]

[/quote]Not sure mate, the services lads/lasses get a special price anyway for games at the WHCS, there are always a fair number at our home games I suspect there will be more than normal for this one. I dont know where these guys will sit to watch the game there are spare seats allocated for giveaways from the club that are not included in the official (Paid) attendance figures, so they will probably be in those on the West stand.[/quote]

[/quote]The Paras usually go where the Paras want to [;)]

[quote user="McCanary"][quote user="Colchester fan"][quote user="Colorado Canary"]

[/quote]Not sure mate, the services lads/lasses get a special price anyway for games at the WHCS, there are always a fair number at our home games I suspect there will be more than normal for this one. I dont know where these guys will sit to watch the game there are spare seats allocated for giveaways from the club that are not included in the official (Paid) attendance figures, so they will probably be in those on the West stand.[/quote]

[/quote]Doubt they will be checked mate, most of them are probably Mancs or scousers!

[quote user="jibbajabba"][quote user="McCanary"][quote user="Colchester fan"][quote user="Colorado Canary"]

[/quote]The Paras usually go where the Paras want to [;)][/quote]The ones I know certainly do, dont have a fight with them if you value your eyes or ears that is the first thing they go for, it is very effective in Afghanistan they tell me.

[quote user="Colchester fan"][quote user="jibbajabba"][quote user="McCanary"][quote user="Colchester fan"][quote user="Colorado Canary"]

[/quote]

Not sure mate, the services lads/lasses get a special price anyway for games at the WHCS, there are always a fair number at our home games I suspect there will be more than normal for this one. I dont know where these guys will sit to watch the game there are spare seats allocated for giveaways from the club that are not included in the official (Paid) attendance figures, so they will probably be in those on the West stand.
[/quote]

[/quote]

The Paras usually go where the Paras want to [;)]
[/quote]

The ones I know certainly do, dont have a fight with them if you value your eyes or ears that is the first thing they go for, it is very effective in Afghanistan they tell me.
[/quote]

Is it?  Blimey, my uncle was a Para and he always said the throat

Para''s... if they wanted heavies they should have gone for the Marines (proper hard soldiers)!!!

Of course they should get the ovation they truely deserve, just another cheap trick by Colchester to fill the stands, they could have easily waited for a game against Exeter of Carlisle?

[quote user="WeAreYellows49"][quote user="Colchester fan"][quote user="jibbajabba"][quote user="McCanary"][quote user="Colchester fan"][quote user="Colorado Canary"]

[/quote]The Paras usually go where the Paras want to [;)][/quote]The ones I know certainly do, dont have a fight with them if you value your eyes or ears that is the first thing they go for, it is very effective in Afghanistan they tell me. [/quote]

Is it?  Blimey, my uncle was a Para and he always said the throat

[/quote]Yes it used to be the throat, they now tend to stick their thumbs in your eyes to temporarily blind you and then follow that up with a forearm smash on your ears this has the effect of disorientating you leading to a full on assault with a knife or just to take you prisoner, this will not be on show Saturday I hope!

[quote user="jibbajabba"][quote user="Colchester fan"]It''s also a good way to have a few heavies available if things get out of hand, it would not be the 1st time we have used the army as stewards and they dont take their duties lightly, I remember a game against Bradford City years ago where their fans got a right pasting![/quote]I remember that - ouch![/quote]Hello Jibba.....any luck [;)]

[quote user="Colchester fan"]It''s also a good way to have a few heavies available if things get out of hand, it would not be the 1st time we have used the army as stewards and they dont take their duties lightly, I remember a game against Bradford City years ago where their fans got a right pasting!
[/quote]

There in a band, not 3 PARA roughions, they march and blow, so I imagine they would be fair game in a fight[:D]

I remember a few seasons back we got some ''well ard'' soldiers in for half time entertainment. (Can''t remember if they were Paras or what) It was a demo on armed and unarmed combat with knives etc.  It got such a slating from the do-gooders it was embarrassing.

[quote user="Tunica Molesta"]I remember a few seasons back we got some ''well ard'' soldiers in for half time entertainment. (Can''t remember if they were Paras or what) It was a demo on armed and unarmed combat with knives etc.  It got such a slating from the do-gooders it was embarrassing.[/quote]Well, if you want to see blokes arsing around with each other, you can just hit Riverside on a Saturday night! I''d much prefer to see some cheerleaders at half-time! [Y]

[quote user="jibbajabba"][quote user="Colchester fan"]It''s also a good way to have a few heavies available if things get out of hand, it would not be the 1st time we have used the army as stewards and they dont take their duties lightly, I remember a game against Bradford City years ago where their fans got a right pasting!
[/quote]

I remember that - ouch!
[/quote]

Funny that, I remember in my days as a NCFC steward that we were called in by Colchester when you played Aldershot at Layer Road because your "usual" stewards couldn''t handle the "Burberry Boys" from Aldershot! But I am sure you will now say how much tougher they are now and of course much more professional.

None the less anyone who wears the uniform and serves the country deserves a loud and appreciative ovation.

[quote user="Canaries in Bed"]There all full time band members, not soldiers.[/quote]So, we''ve gone from having some Paratroopers/Marines/etc being there. To it basically being a band! Brilliant! [:D]£10 says it''s the Sally Army that turn up! [:D]

The paras rightly deserve every single peice of applause they will surely get - however I hope I am not being to synical by saying I feel this is another Cowling stir by having the paras at this particular game.

[quote user="Attleborough_Canary"]

[quote user="jibbajabba"][quote user="Colchester fan"]It''s also a good way to have a few heavies available if things get out of hand, it would not be the 1st time we have used the army as stewards and they dont take their duties lightly, I remember a game against Bradford City years ago where their fans got a right pasting![/quote]I remember that - ouch![/quote]

Funny that, I remember in my days as a NCFC steward that we were called in by Colchester when you played Aldershot at Layer Road because your "usual" stewards couldn''t handle the "Burberry Boys" from Aldershot! But I am sure you will now say how much tougher they are now and of course much more professional.

None the less anyone who wears the uniform and serves the country deserves a loud and appreciative ovation.

[/quote]Was that when they had the ball dropped in by helicopter and made a big thing about 2 army towns playing in the game, if so I remember it well, not the Aldershot Burberry boys though you must have done a good job !

[quote user="Attleborough_Canary"]

[quote user="jibbajabba"][quote user="Colchester fan"]It''s also a good way to have a few heavies available if things get out of hand, it would not be the 1st time we have used the army as stewards and they dont take their duties lightly, I remember a game against Bradford City years ago where their fans got a right pasting![/quote]I remember that - ouch![/quote]

Funny that, I remember in my days as a NCFC steward that we were called in by Colchester when you played Aldershot at Layer Road because your "usual" stewards couldn''t handle the "Burberry Boys" from Aldershot! But I am sure you will now say how much tougher they are now and of course much more professional.[/quote]

Dunno mate, they''re just stewards - like anywhere else in the country they have their GCSE in crowd management and do as they''re told.