Sign in to follow this  
Yarmy!

''Martin on the radar of clubs higher up pyramid'' EDP

''Martin on the radar of clubs higher up pyramid''

Young Canaries striker Chris Martin is being tracked by a host of Championship clubs, according to a report yesterday.

Sky Sports made the claim on their website yesterday, saying: “His form has not gone unnoticed higher up the football pyramid with a number of sides keeping tabs on his progress.”

Martin''s contract is up in the summer and Sky say Norwich are keen to sit down and negotiate a new deal. The 21-year-old is enjoying a purple patch under manager Paul Lambert, having spent last season on loan at Luton Town, along with Michael Spillane.

Does anybody think he will sign a new contract? Would be a very big loss if we did lose Martin, I personally think he is the best finisher at the club and also is very young so has definately got a bright future..

Your opinions.. [:D}

I tihnk he will stay. He is flourishing under Lambert and his team and leaving now, he could get lost in a championship squad and never seen again.

I hope that his feet are back on the ground after the last few years. It looks like he is growing up and realising that if he puts the work in the rewards will follow.But he is starting every game, and although scoring, he is scoring against some pretty shonky league one defenders.He hasn''t proved anything at Championship level yet, if he went to a Champ club it would be as a squad player.He''d do best to stay here for now I think.

[quote user="Hit Squad"]ink we should sign him up now, before any major interest becomes obvious, we can afford to let and talent go on the cheap.

Surely semi was worth a fee
[/quote]

I think a month of not paying him is as good as a fee.

[quote user="Hit Squad"]ink we should sign him up now, before any major interest becomes obvious, we can afford to let and talent go on the cheap.Surely semi was worth a fee[/quote]ever seen him play?

Yeah i agree with all the above comments [:)]

Think Lambert should sit him down and get him to sign a new contract [:D]

Yeah i agree with all the above comments

Think Lambert should sit him down and get him to sign a new contract

what makes people think this is not already taking place?Martin don''t want to go anywhere,

I posted somtime ago that Martin is fustrated at no contract talk coming from the club. Put yourselves in his shoes, you would love to be playing for the club week in week out, but you would also want to know that you have a contract after the Summer. If another club offers him a good contract then we will loose him for nothing.

whilst I do also rate him, but he does tend to drift in and out of the game... and has on occasion looked knackered by 75 mins

But if he gets a chance or even half a chance he still finishes it! So always worth keeping on.. But i also like seeing McDonald come on and run beyond the defenders with his pace  [:)]

[quote user="morty"]I hope that his feet are back on the ground after the last few years. It looks like he is growing up and realising that if he puts the work in the rewards will follow.

But he is starting every game, and although scoring, he is scoring against some pretty shonky league one defenders.

He hasn''t proved anything at Championship level yet, if he went to a Champ club it would be as a squad player.

He''d do best to stay here for now I think.
[/quote]

Good post.

He''s still got a lot to prove. As I keep saying, he''s only scored 8 league goals this season. It''s alright but it''s not outstanding.

Realitically I can''t see him getting a better offer or being a success at a bigger club than Norwich.

He''s a decent young attacking player with some talent. But he''s not a naturally prolific goalscorer and he doesn''t have a lot of pace.

[quote user="GJP"]

[quote user="morty"]I hope that his feet are back on the ground after the last few years. It looks like he is growing up and realising that if he puts the work in the rewards will follow.But he is starting every game, and although scoring, he is scoring against some pretty shonky league one defenders.He hasn''t proved anything at Championship level yet, if he went to a Champ club it would be as a squad player.He''d do best to stay here for now I think.[/quote]

Good post.

He''s still got a lot to prove. As I keep saying, he''s only scored 8 league goals this season. It''s alright but it''s not outstanding.

Realitically I can''t see him getting a better offer or being a success at a bigger club than Norwich.

He''s a decent young attacking player with some talent. But he''s not a naturally prolific goalscorer and he doesn''t have a lot of pace.

[/quote]I think anyone currently in the first team would be stupid to want to leave right now, its obvious we have the beginnings of something very good here.

[quote user="B-ru"]I tihnk he will stay. He is flourishing under Lambert and his team and leaving now, he could get lost in a championship squad and never seen again.[/quote]Do you think Martin would be lost in our championship squad B-ru??

I think the club might be mindful of what happened to him last time he got a new contract!!! Whilst he has done well this year, he was a waste of money for the previous 2 seasons!!!

[quote user="can u sit down please"]

I really rate the guy. His touch and finishing are amongst the best in the club.

It does irritate me how some people target him as "not bothered or lazy" (not quoted from this post).

Get him signed up!

[/quote]

Martin suffers because his natural ''running style'' and demeanor can make it appear that he''s not putting in maximum effort but he''s got great potential. I disagree slightly about his finishing as he''s been guilty of missing the simpler chances whilst sticking away more difficult ones. But with Holt and Hoolahan as older more experienced players alongside him, taking more of the attention, it''s allowed Chris to develop his game and confidence.

Vital to our success and we need to keep him in the side. One other point though....due to his age we wouldn''t lose him on a free would we (as suggested elsewhere)? A fee would be settled by a tribunial wouldn''t it?

I wonder how much he is on now, I remember quite a lot of supposed interest from bigger clubs when he first burst onto the scene under Grunt, I wouldn''t be at all surprised if he was on very good wages. That could be whats holding up contract talks as perhaps he is looking for a natural increase in wages that the club won''t or can''t give him....

[quote user="Salahuddin"]I wonder how much he is on now, I remember quite a lot of supposed interest from bigger clubs when he first burst onto the scene under Grunt, I wouldn''t be at all surprised if he was on very good wages. That could be whats holding up contract talks as perhaps he is looking for a natural increase in wages that the club won''t or can''t give him....[/quote]Hmmmm, interesting point.I wish there was some rule that clubs had to disclose what the players get.

This is a case of more bad journalism from Archant I believe. They have got this rumour from the Sky Sports website and decided to run an article. However the sky source can''t be give any credance as it claims Martin spent time on loan at Derby last season! The guy wont be going anywhere.

You all seem to be missing the point. GJP you say that he won''t get a better offer, but the club haven''t given him an offer, so as it stands he won''t be a city player come the summer. Why is this the case when the club recently gave Daley a new contract, who rarely even makes the bench.

[quote user="Metal Militia"]You all seem to be missing the point. GJP you say that he won''t get a better offer, but the club haven''t given him an offer, so as it stands he won''t be a city player come the summer. Why is this the case when the club recently gave Daley a new contract, who rarely even makes the bench.[/quote]Perhaps there are things going on in the background that are none of our business?Perhaps he has been offered something but is holding out for better offers somewhere?Perhaps Lambert doesn''t want him?These things rarely take place anywhere other than behind closed doors.

[quote user="morty"][quote user="Metal Militia"]You all seem to be missing the point. GJP you say that he won''t get a better offer, but the club haven''t given him an offer, so as it stands he won''t be a city player come the summer. Why is this the case when the club recently gave Daley a new contract, who rarely even makes the bench.[/quote]

Perhaps there are things going on in the background that are none of our business?

Perhaps he has been offered something but is holding out for better offers somewhere?

Perhaps Lambert doesn''t want him?

These things rarely take place anywhere other than behind closed doors.

[/quote]

It''s true, you only normally hear about contract negotiations when everything has been resolved. It''s when players and managers start talking about it you start to worry. Wouldn''t be surprised to hear a new deal has been signed in the next couple of weeks but this story does smack of agent trying to drum up a bit of competition.

Martin is under 24 so he can''t leave on a free, although we wouldn''t get his true vaule either.

[quote user="Metal Militia"]You all seem to be missing the point. GJP you say that he won''t get a better offer, but the club haven''t given him an offer, so as it stands he won''t be a city player come the summer. Why is this the case when the club recently gave Daley a new contract, who rarely even makes the bench.[/quote]

I''m sure the club will offer him something (and if they don''t then I''d trust the managers decision).

He needs to be kept hungry and Lambert will know when the right time is to reward him.

I expect at the moment he''ll want to know that the only thing his players are concentrating on is promotion/winning the league/winning the next game.