Sign in to follow this  
Scottlarock

- Bryan Gunn, no regrets.

Yes we failed last season under Gunn, a failiure that was already going on before he was given the job. I think even a guy like Boothroyd or dare I say it Lambert would of had their work cut out keeping us up last season what with all the then boards policies and the poisonous, negative feeling left by Roedernowhere!

Yes its likely he wasn''t up to the job, that we''ll never know. Though I think in this mainly weak League we''d of been fairly well up with Gunn remaining at the helm. One of the best managers in my time was Dave Stringer a guy appointed from within and someone who would of never made a manager anywhere.

Yes he isn''t a patch on Lambert and I see now why Mcnally plumped for him!

The former board deserve more flak cause if they''d of appointed a decent manager instead of the very inept Grant and Roeder, Gunn would never of been thought of, they put of any decent managers last season by offering a short term deal (as well as people in the know could see what was going on and it wasn''t advantagious to success on the football field) and they should never of appointed Gunn before the new board members came in during the summer!

Gunn doesn''t deserve all this flak from fans who would know less about football than what Gunny has forgot about the game and many knockers on here I suspect are too young to have ever saw him play for Norwich?

The EDP were always going to want to interview him at some point cause he is a well known local figure that had a big say in the biggest sporting club in East Anglia!

Gunn will always be a legend in my eyes, he was never going to turn the job down. Just a shame he was in the wrong place at the wrong time with a failing board that got desperate and made some crazy decisions!

[quote user="grantroederdisaster"]Yes we failed last season under Gunn, a failiure that was already going on before he was given the job. I think even a guy like Boothroyd or dare I say it Lambert would of had their work cut out keeping us up last season what with all the then boards policies and the poisonous, negative feeling left by Roedernowhere!

Yes its likely he wasn''t up to the job, that we''ll never know. Though I think in this mainly weak League we''d of been fairly well up with Gunn remaining at the helm. One of the best managers in my time was Dave Stringer a guy appointed from within and someone who would of never made a manager anywhere.

Yes he isn''t a patch on Lambert and I see now why Mcnally plumped for him!

The former board deserve more flak cause if they''d of appointed a decent manager instead of the very inept Grant and Roeder, Gunn would never of been thought of, they put of any decent managers last season by offering a short term deal (as well as people in the know could see what was going on and it wasn''t advantagious to success on the football field) and they should never of appointed Gunn before the new board members came in during the summer!

Gunn doesn''t deserve all this flak from fans who would know less about football than what Gunny has forgot about the game and many knockers on here I suspect are too young to have ever saw him play for Norwich?

The EDP were always going to want to interview him at some point cause he is a well known local figure that had a big say in the biggest sporting club in East Anglia!

Gunn will always be a legend in my eyes, he was never going to turn the job down. Just a shame he was in the wrong place at the wrong time with a failing board that got desperate and made some crazy decisions![/quote]You are straying off topic here, see my picture of the article in today''s EDP on the previous page.To claim he wouldn''t do anything different implies that he doesn''t think he did anything wrong, which is stupidly arrogant.

[quote user="morty"][quote user="The gut"]

[quote user="morty"]Ok, to summarise, for the people coming in here spouting crap without actually reading all the posts.We mostly agree Bryan Gunn was a club legend.He was an awful manager who failed miserably, say what you like about previous manager, the board etc he had time and assets to keep us from relegation and it was his total lack of managerial competence that got us relegated.The board chose the cheap option in appointing him again.For him to say he has no regrets about his beloved club being relegated is arrogant, and to still insist that he did a good job ie prepared the team adequately whilst on pre season tour in Scotland, or all went out and got pi$$ed every night if you believe rumours is laughable. He had all summer to prepare that team for kick off against Colchester and we know what happened.I, myself, would have far more respect for him if he held his hands up and apologised to the fans along the lines of "I tried my best for the club I love, but I let you all down, sorry"[/quote]

Who is spouting crap and not reading all the posts?

Please highlight where he he is reported to say he has no regrets about his beloved club being relegated.

Does anyone dispute that he tried his best? I think that goes without saying.

[/quote]Today''s EDP.That do?(apologies if it comes out sideways)[IMG]http://i869.photobucket.com/albums/ab257/mortymccarthy/Photo0255.jpg[/IMG][/quote]touche morty - classy post.

You are correct Morty, but I wasn''t replying to you, I was replying to some of the ridiculous posts which go way overboard about Gunn!

Are ColU hanging Boothroyd because of their 7-0 defeat at Preston the other week, that was worse than losing 7-1?

[quote user="grantroederdisaster"]You are correct Morty, but I wasn''t replying to you, I was replying to some of the ridiculous posts which go way overboard about Gunn!

Are ColU hanging Boothroyd because of their 7-0 defeat at Preston the other week, that was worse than losing 7-1?[/quote][Y]

it was not the case of just adding a couple of players . he signed 11 players with the players we had left after "lets get the temps in" season.

pardon the pun but how on earth is any team going to do any good with the amount of changes we had.

i bet none of the players knew each other hardly . gunn took the stick for relegation.

we had being downhill for a couple of seasons . lets look at gunns budget ...not alot not anything near roeders gambling .

holt..bargain

askou..bargain

great idea bring martin back, (did gunn not stick his neck out to keep hoolihan.?).

spillane ..gave another chance.

yes he made mistakes ..but the amount of players he had to sign and decide who to keep.

i think he got that right ..(excluding the keeper)

we are a good team if gunn was not given the chance we would not have some of the players if not most who are in the team now.gunn clearly could not get the best out of them i admit, but he made some good choices on a small budget because previous managers blew the lot.

he spent most of the budget on holt the rest did not cost much if anything .

some of you forget that.

[quote user="singing canary"]it was not the case of just adding a couple of players . he signed 11 players with the players we had left after "lets get the temps in" season.

pardon the pun but how on earth is any team going to do any good with the amount of changes we had.

i bet none of the players knew each other hardly . gunn took the stick for relegation.

we had being downhill for a couple of seasons . lets look at gunns budget ...not alot not anything near roeders gambling .

holt..bargain

askou..bargain

great idea bring martin back, (did gunn not stick his neck out to keep hoolihan.?).

yes he made mistakes ..but the amount of players he had to sign and decide who to keep.

we are a good team if gunn was not given the chance we would not have some of the players if not most who are in the team now.gunn clearly could not get the best out of them i admit, but he made some good choices on a small budget because previous managers blew the lot.

some of you forget that.[/quote]I despair, I really do.

[quote user="singing canary"]it was not the case of just adding a couple of players . he signed 11 players with the players we had left after "lets get the temps in" season.

holt..bargain

askou..bargain

some of you forget that.[/quote]OMGlook, the thread is about BG, regrets and articles.so Gunn? Should he show that he has regrets about his tenure and that he wouldn''t change a thing?Yes or no?

I''ve already read that morty and it doesn''t say he doesn''t regret the club being relegated. Seriously now, do you think anyone would say that. You can do your best and believe you''ve made the best decisions you can (therefore you wouldn''t do anything different) and still fail. Regrettably the local press is again choosing words to grab attention, to make the story even more appealling, stirring interest, boosting sales. Do you think he done his best? Was he a legend to you?

[quote user="Scottlarock"][quote user="singing canary"]it was not the case of just adding a couple of players . he signed 11 players with the players we had left after "lets get the temps in" season. pardon the pun but how on earth is any team going to do any good with the amount of changes we had. i bet none of the players knew each other hardly . gunn took the stick for relegation. we had being downhill for a couple of seasons . lets look at gunns budget ...not alot not anything near roeders gambling . holt..bargain askou..bargain great idea bring martin back, (did gunn not stick his neck out to keep hoolihan.?). spillane ..gave another chance. yes he made mistakes ..but the amount of players he had to sign and decide who to keep. i think he got that right ..(excluding the keeper) we are a good team if gunn was not given the chance we would not have some of the players if not most who are in the team now.gunn clearly could not get the best out of them i admit, but he made some good choices on a small budget because previous managers blew the lot. he spent most of the budget on holt the rest did not cost much if anything . some of you forget that.[/quote]

OMG

look, the thread is about BG, regrets and articles.

so Gunn? Should he show that he has regrets about his tenure and that he wouldn''t change a thing?

Yes or no?

[/quote]

Mate, you really aren''t going to get an answer, because the only possible answer is  unacceptable to the pro Gunn lobby .

[quote user="grantroederdisaster"]............

Are ColU hanging Boothroyd because of their 7-0 defeat at Preston the other week, that was worse than losing 7-1?[/quote]I would hope not as it''s a '' better '' result.The 7-0 Colchester defeat was away to a higher level club in the Cup, the 1-7 result at Carrow Rd was at home to a club in the same League.

[quote user="Beauseant"]

[quote user="Scottlarock"][quote user="singing canary"]it was not the case of just adding a couple of players . he signed 11 players with the players we had left after "lets get the temps in" season. pardon the pun but how on earth is any team going to do any good with the amount of changes we had. i bet none of the players knew each other hardly . gunn took the stick for relegation. we had being downhill for a couple of seasons . lets look at gunns budget ...not alot not anything near roeders gambling . holt..bargain askou..bargain great idea bring martin back, (did gunn not stick his neck out to keep hoolihan.?). spillane ..gave another chance. yes he made mistakes ..but the amount of players he had to sign and decide who to keep. i think he got that right ..(excluding the keeper) we are a good team if gunn was not given the chance we would not have some of the players if not most who are in the team now.gunn clearly could not get the best out of them i admit, but he made some good choices on a small budget because previous managers blew the lot. he spent most of the budget on holt the rest did not cost much if anything . some of you forget that.[/quote]

OMG

so Gunn? Should he show that he has regrets about his tenure and that he wouldn''t change a thing?

Yes or no?

[/quote]

Mate, you really aren''t going to get an answer, because the only possible answer is  unacceptable to the pro Gunn lobby .

[/quote]

It''s a daft question. He cannot change anything. If he believes he done the right thing at the time, then he can''t have a regret. It is being implied that he doesn''t regret being relegated - get real.

[quote user="The gut"]I''ve already read that morty and it doesn''t say he doesn''t regret the club being relegated. Seriously now, do you think anyone would say that. You can do your best and believe you''ve made the best decisions you can (therefore you wouldn''t do anything different) and still fail. Regrettably the local press is again choosing words to grab attention, to make the story even more appealling, stirring interest, boosting sales. Do you think he done his best? Was he a legend to you?[/quote]Yes I saw him play, he was / is a legend. Yes he did his best. He was stupid to take it on.But overall, to say he has no regrets about his time in charge only reads in a very arrogant way to me.Did you see on Sky before the Leeds match where he reckoned that if he was still in charge we''d be up somewhere up near the top of the league? That is Bryan saying that he is as good a manager as Lambert is.He cocked it up, he should hold his hands up and apologise, regardless of how ruthless his sacking was.

[quote user="Beauseant"]

[quote user="Scottlarock"][quote user="singing canary"]it was not the case of just adding a couple of players . he signed 11 players with the players we had left after "lets get the temps in" season. pardon the pun but how on earth is any team going to do any good with the amount of changes we had. i bet none of the players knew each other hardly . gunn took the stick for relegation. we had being downhill for a couple of seasons . lets look at gunns budget ...not alot not anything near roeders gambling . holt..bargain askou..bargain great idea bring martin back, (did gunn not stick his neck out to keep hoolihan.?). spillane ..gave another chance. yes he made mistakes ..but the amount of players he had to sign and decide who to keep. i think he got that right ..(excluding the keeper) we are a good team if gunn was not given the chance we would not have some of the players if not most who are in the team now.gunn clearly could not get the best out of them i admit, but he made some good choices on a small budget because previous managers blew the lot. he spent most of the budget on holt the rest did not cost much if anything . some of you forget that.[/quote]OMGlook, the thread is about BG, regrets and articles.so Gunn? Should he show that he has regrets about his tenure and that he wouldn''t change a thing?Yes or no?

[/quote]

[/quote]I know - they are so flat earth that they don''t realise by not answering the question they marginalise themselves even more than if they answered.......prats :-)

Maybe the EDP have set him up, lets face it, and this is no disrespect, your average footballer isn''t usually the sharpest knife in the drawer.However when asked the question "Do you have any regrets" my obvious answer would be "I massively regret getting relegated, how it made me feel and how I let the fans down, but apart from that I feel I woudn''t have done anything different"I am sure that Bryan has been dealing with the media long enough to ensure that he makes himself clear and is taken in context.

[quote user="Bob Franklin"]IMO much of what Gunn says is accurate and guaranteed to provoke the sort of nastiness that is already appearing on this thread. However, if I had been Gunn I would have kept a low profile on this until the end of the season. I will mention that I agree with his stance re McNally''s public allegation that Gunn was guilty of poor preparation. Like I have said already too many times before, I don''t remember a better pre-season run of matches than that which Gunn and his quickly assembled new squad achieved and who can criticize him for his player acquisitions.Although, of course, Gunn detractors on here will not even give him credit for the likes of Holt, Hughes, Askou forgetting that even if it was Deehan who brought them to Gunn''s attention it was Gunn who took responsibilty for the final decision just like any other organisation. Perhaps if McNally had kept his trap shut then Gunn may have done too.[/quote]

I totally agree with you Bob, well said.

FOOTBALL MUST COME FIRST

[quote user="morty"]Maybe the EDP have set him up, lets face it, and this is no disrespect, your average footballer isn''t usually the sharpest knife in the drawer.

However when asked the question "Do you have any regrets" my obvious answer would be "I massively regret getting relegated, how it made me feel and how I let the fans down, but apart from that I feel I woudn''t have done anything different"

I am sure that Bryan has been dealing with the media long enough to ensure that he makes himself clear and is taken in context.
[/quote]

I think you''ll find that Bryan is pretty sharp hasn''t he orchestrated and been very involved in raising nearly a million pounds for the Leukemia appeal?

[quote user="BBFF"][quote user="Bob Franklin"]IMO much of what Gunn says is accurate and guaranteed to provoke the sort of nastiness that is already appearing on this thread. However, if I had been Gunn I would have kept a low profile on this until the end of the season. I will mention that I agree with his stance re McNally''s public allegation that Gunn was guilty of poor preparation. Like I have said already too many times before, I don''t remember a better pre-season run of matches than that which Gunn and his quickly assembled new squad achieved and who can criticize him for his player acquisitions.Although, of course, Gunn detractors on here will not even give him credit for the likes of Holt, Hughes, Askou forgetting that even if it was Deehan who brought them to Gunn''s attention it was Gunn who took responsibilty for the final decision just like any other organisation. Perhaps if McNally had kept his trap shut then Gunn may have done too.[/quote]

I totally agree with you Bob, well said.

FOOTBALL MUST COME FIRST
[/quote]Theres real irony in the fact you have a tag line at the end of your post saying "Football must come first"You''re completely correct, football must come first before sentimentality for old players.

[quote user="cityangel"]

[quote user="morty"]Maybe the EDP have set him up, lets face it, and this is no disrespect, your average footballer isn''t usually the sharpest knife in the drawer.However when asked the question "Do you have any regrets" my obvious answer would be "I massively regret getting relegated, how it made me feel and how I let the fans down, but apart from that I feel I woudn''t have done anything different"I am sure that Bryan has been dealing with the media long enough to ensure that he makes himself clear and is taken in context.[/quote]

I think you''ll find that Bryan is pretty sharp hasn''t he orchestrated and been very involved in raising nearly a million pounds for the Leukemia appeal?

[/quote]I''m well aware of his charitable activities, but this reads to me he''s either being a bit arrogant or his words have been misquoted to sell papers.

[quote user="cityangel"]

[quote user="morty"]Maybe the EDP have set him up, lets face it, and this is no disrespect, your average footballer isn''t usually the sharpest knife in the drawer.However when asked the question "Do you have any regrets" my obvious answer would be "I massively regret getting relegated, how it made me feel and how I let the fans down, but apart from that I feel I woudn''t have done anything different"I am sure that Bryan has been dealing with the media long enough to ensure that he makes himself clear and is taken in context.[/quote]

[/quote]an amazing achievement.......however charities thank and rely on the contributors and the million pound figure was a lot more to do with the good good people of Norfolk and the fact that BG was NCFC.  There are lots of very intelligent people and families who suffer terminal illness who have no support or can''t raise a bean.......becuase of circumstance............not IQ

BG has been very sharp at succesfully securing salaries continuosly since he retired and up until he was sacked - no regrets Bryan? Too right.

[quote user="The gut"][quote user="Beauseant"]

OMG

Yes or no?

[/quote]

[/quote]

It''s a daft question. He cannot change anything. If he believes he done the right thing at the time, then he can''t have a regret. It is being implied that he doesn''t regret being relegated - get real.

[/quote]

It is not a daft question it is just a question that you are avoiding.   It is critical to this debate because any manager in any sector or undertaking whether football, construction or finance who has taken on a project which has failed will assess the reasons for failure; fully and honestly.   Arguably, Gunn failed twice.  Once with relegation and again with Colchester.

Any manager of any business project which has failed who reviews that project honestly and who has any sense of self awareness will identify the mistakes and learn from them.   To say in that context that "I have no regrets and would not have done anything differently" is wholly unacceptable in any industry because you are saying that you would fail again.   It is not about changing what has happened but about acknowledging responsibility and planning things diffferently in the future.  Also, it is taking the adult route of accepting that no one is perfect and we can all do better.  It is about being grown up enough to admit mistakes made.   Gunn like Blair follows the childish route of "Not my fault and nothing to do with me".

As I said before, I have lost respect for Gunn because his attitude here is unacceptable for the reasons I have given.  Again to repeat, Gunn is at worst arrogant and at best delusional

When at his peak as a goalkeeper, Gunn had few peers.

As a man, he has even fewer. I know I wouldn''t have been able to handle the death of a daughter as well as he did, and he was in the public eye. Not only that, he has made the best of that tragedy and built a charity that has been very successful, both in fundraising and raising the profile and understanding of that illness.

He, like many before him -and no doubt to follow-loves the club and the area. Maybe his heart ruled his head when he was appointed prior to the Barnsley game, maybe it did again when he was offered the job full time? Maybe he should have stepped down after Barnsley, maybe, maybe...

So many "maybe''s"...

He wasn''t suited to be a Manager. Maybe he would have made a career out of it, had he stepped back and learnt the trade away from Norwich?

But he couldn''t resist, and no-one can blame him for that, many of us will have stepped forward when maybe we shouldn''t have, such is the tempation of those that we have an attachment to.

As I have written before, questions need be asked of those who appointed him, considered him, in the first place. Yes, I know, he could have said "no"-but come on!!

It''s a tad hypocritcal to say we should all move on now, after writing and contributing to this thread, but we should. Gunn and Norwich is no more, finished, book closed. What counts is now.

[quote user="CambridgeCanary"][quote user="The gut"][quote user="Beauseant"]

[quote user="Scottlarock"][quote user="singing canary"]it was not the case of just adding a couple of players . he signed 11 players with the players we had left after "lets get the temps in" season. pardon the pun but how on earth is any team going to do any good with the amount of changes we had. i bet none of the players knew each other hardly . gunn took the stick for relegation. we had being downhill for a couple of seasons . lets look at gunns budget ...not alot not anything near roeders gambling . holt..bargain askou..bargain great idea bring martin back, (did gunn not stick his neck out to keep hoolihan.?). spillane ..gave another chance. yes he made mistakes ..but the amount of players he had to sign and decide who to keep. i think he got that right ..(excluding the keeper) we are a good team if gunn was not given the chance we would not have some of the players if not most who are in the team now.gunn clearly could not get the best out of them i admit, but he made some good choices on a small budget because previous managers blew the lot. he spent most of the budget on holt the rest did not cost much if anything . some of you forget that.[/quote]OMGlook, the thread is about BG, regrets and articles.so Gunn? Should he show that he has regrets about his tenure and that he wouldn''t change a thing?Yes or no?

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

It is not a daft question it is just a question that you are avoiding.   It is critical to this debate because any manager in any sector or undertaking whether football, construction or finance who has taken on a project which has failed will assess the reasons for failure; fully and honestly.   Arguably, Gunn failed twice.  Once with relegation and again with Colchester.

Any manager of any business project which has failed who reviews that project honestly and who has any sense of self awareness will identify the mistakes and learn from them.   To say in that context that "I have no regrets and would not have done anything differently" is wholly unacceptable in any industry because you are saying that you would fail again.   It is not about changing what has happened but about acknowledging responsibility and planning things diffferently in the future.  Also, it is taking the adult route of accepting that no one is perfect and we can all do better.  It is about being grown up enough to admit mistakes made.   Gunn like Blair follows the childish route of "Not my fault and nothing to do with me".

As I said before, I have lost respect for Gunn because his attitude here is unacceptable for the reasons I have given.  Again to repeat, Gunn is at worst arrogant and at best delusional

[/quote]Absolutely spot on in all aspects. Good post.

[quote user="JTG"][quote user="CambridgeCanary"][quote user="The gut"][quote user="Beauseant"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]Absolutely spot on in all aspects. Good post.[/quote]truly a great post.....it''s what we all know or should know....you''ve spelt it out exactly sir.

go spoil yourself and go buy the paper morty!

all should buy the local paper and keep it going... won''t be long until local papers are a thing of the past.  

[quote user="morty"]Anyone bought the paper and read the article yet?I''m tempted to get one lol.[/quote]Going into binner town now................I love buying the EDP down here :-) :-) :-) :-0

[quote user="The Chirp"]go spoil yourself and go buy the paper morty!

all should buy the local paper and keep it going... won''t be long until local papers are a thing of the past.  [/quote]I normally only but in on Thursday for jobs, or Saturday if I am looking for a car.I prefer to get my news the environmentally friendly, non tree destroying way on the interweb.And I was hoping for the cheaper option of someone else buying it and just telling me about it lol.

Okay, that was a waste of 50 pence.Shameless self promotion for his new career, not a sniff of an apology to the fans for failing us.Jog on Mr Gunn, you have definitely gone down in my estimation.