Sign in to follow this  
Nexus_Canary

Norwich Serious Injury Curse ???

Now just reading through a list of "failed potential players" and it got me thinking, is there a bit of a injury curse at Norwich ? Is it a common thing in football or is it down to a clubs money and how the injury can be dealt with ? Do we have a bad injury record ? Off the top of my head I can think of :Alex Notman, Darren Eadie, Keith O''Neill, Kris Renton and the more recent Dean Ashton who with the exception of Renton had thier careers shortened considerably by injury.Now Renton we dont know about but people talk about failed potential. Do you think that anything could have been done to help or support these injuries if we were bigger financially ?Now even in the case of Eduardo da Silva of Arsenal, his injury was caused by former Norwich loanee Martin Taylor, I cant really think that we have a record for causing injuries but its another thought about a "Norwich Injury Curse"Now obviously everyones physical strength and healing is going to be different as is the nature of a break or injury. So the healing period will be different for everyone. Eg : When i broke my ankle a few years ago I was supposed to be on crutches for 6 months but due to pre injury fitness and looking aftermyself I amased the NHS (lol) with comming off the crutches after just under 4 months. Do you think in Norwich history we have been blighted with injury , just plain un-lucky OR thats just the nature of the modern game ?

I think the point here is that we know about our own players. If you were to talk to a fan of anther club he''s probably have a similar length list.

Yeah thats a good point. I mean West Ham and Newcastle always seem to get stacks of injuries. Man Uniteds injury list as well this season as been ridiculous. So were definately not the only ones...

I agree and was thinking maybe its a case of "knowing ones own" as well but saying that Manure have had a right defensive disaster this season ! Playing Carrick, a defensive mid as a centre back ?! Even i felt some sympathy for Sir Alex at that point.You guys thinking its more the elements of the modern game ?I guess the first "big name" was Michael Owen, i have kinda grown up with him being the kid of football. I remember the buzz around our sixth form when a player who was actually a month or so younger than the oldest in our year group was getting first team football with Liverpool and was being tipped for an England cap ?!?Again, Owen.... his late career despite being a world class player has been destroyed by injury.Then more modern times, both Rooney and Walcott have potential niggles and the pair of them are barely out of thier teens !Think maybe kids or teenagers are getting exposed to the game at an age where , ok they are skillfull enough to play but not physically strong enough ?Ankles and Knees after taking pounding after pounding or knock after knock week in week out are gonna wave the white flag at some point.Thoughts ?

I think now players are a lot stronger and better conditioned than they used to be. Obviously this is a good thing but it also means that some of the force that goes into tackles is frightening. I remember standing near the pitch at a Kings Lynn v Norwich friendly and Drury went into a 50/50 which I reckon would have broken the average persons ankle.

Could it also be the boots? I have heard a lot of criticism about blade studs and how they stick in the turf and effectively plant the foot meaning you are vulnerable to knee injuries. Do boots also offer enough protection? Is that why we are seeing these metatarsal injuries?

John O''Neill came along as a replacement for Steve Bruce but didn''t even last the first half of his debut, vs Wimbledon...

A crashing tackle from John Fashanu (see, its true-ex-Norwich!!) put an end to his game, season, and career, both at Norwich and in football!

Neil Emblen another disappointment as well, very good player, but, sad to say, by the time we signed him in 2001, he was already injury prone. Mike Walker could have signed him several years previously-but didn''t, mores the pity.

Guess his "equivalent" in the modern game would be someone like Tom Huddlestone.

As for many of the foot and ankle injuries in the game today-look no further than some of the "boots" (lightly defined use of the word), many of which are light and offer little or no protection.