Sign in to follow this  
Murphy and the Bricks

Would we have stayed up??????

Boothroyd: I wanted Norwich job

“I did go and meet the Norwich board,” said Boothroyd. “I did have a chat with them and they were looking for somebody to the end of the season, and that''s not me. I want to build something and that didn''t really fit with me.”

From today''s EDP.

Do you think Boothroyd would have kept us in the Championship?

We certainly would have given ourselves a better chance of staying up rather than going with the cheap option.The board also kind of copied Newcastle in the "lets appoint a club legend, what could possibly go wrong?" plan.

Its hard to say. The question would have whether he could have got the right players in. Because when Roeder was fired after that replay against Charlton we were so bad that relegation seemed likely even then. I would like to have thought there would have been better organisation and more discipline than under Gunny

[quote user="morty"]We certainly would have given ourselves a better chance of staying up rather than going with the cheap option.

The board also kind of copied Newcastle in the "lets appoint a club legend, what could possibly go wrong?" plan.
[/quote]

I think we actually got in there before Newcastle did, so they copied us. Guess no one will make that mistake again.....

I do think Aidy would of kept us up, but we would be struggling again this season. In the long run League One might work out in our favour, radical changes were made due to it and we haven''t seen a host of our better players leave (yet). Just have to get promoted this year.

[quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]

[quote user="morty"]We certainly would have given ourselves a better chance of staying up rather than going with the cheap option.The board also kind of copied Newcastle in the "lets appoint a club legend, what could possibly go wrong?" plan.[/quote]

I think we actually got in there before Newcastle did, so they copied us. Guess no one will make that mistake again.....

I do think Aidy would of kept us up, but we would be struggling again this season. In the long run League One might work out in our favour, radical changes were made due to it and we haven''t seen a host of our better players leave (yet). Just have to get promoted this year.

[/quote]I imagine the board offerred Aidy a 6 month contract, and like he said, he wanted something longer term. Pity we didn''t have the foresight to identify Lambo at that point.All that said, we are emerging, like a phoenix from the flames, a much better club for the experience.

Boothyroyd I honestly believe would have kept us up....but.....it seems to have taken an embaressing relegation to the 3rd tier for the board to have opened its eyes. In the past we would never have poached a manager as we want to be seen as "nice little norwich", but now with Doncaster and co being told to jump before they were pushed and bringing in a more aggresive team, we look like we are going forward at last...shame it took relegation for that to happen.

1 step back 2 steps forward.

[quote user="Dogger in Top 2"]Who cares, it didn''t happen so lets move on[/quote]

We heared he turned it down because they wouldn''t pay the wage he wanted, but then we will never know the real reason 

Although relegation hurt, I personally would rather be where we are now with a good manager, a more ruthless approach to running the club caused by the shock of the drop, and going in the right direction on the field with some good players coming through. 

If we had stayed up we would still have Gunn in charge, would most likely be scratching around at the bottom end of the Championship with a load of loanees and no real way forward apparent.

[quote user="Pboro_Canary"]

Although relegation hurt, I personally would rather be where we are now with a good manager, a more ruthless approach to running the club caused by the shock of the drop, and going in the right direction on the field with some good players coming through. 

If we had stayed up we would still have Gunn in charge, would most likely be scratching around at the bottom end of the Championship with a load of loanees and no real way forward apparent.

[/quote]

Not if Boothroyd had got the job instead of Gunn in the first place!!!!!!!!

All very tricky stuff, he may well have kept us up only to suffer more of the same this season, let’s face it had been on the cards from the previous season.

Furthermore we would still have Neil -------Doomcaster at the Club, no McNasty or Mr Bridger (our new Chairman) so all-in- all it may well yet prove to have been a price worth paying however painful it was last May.

[quote user="First Wizard"]Who know?......Isn''t it strange how this news breaks just 24 hrs before our game with Col Who.[/quote]What is strange is the manager of the opposing team just before one of our biggest matches of the season saying how much we mean to him and how he wanted to be our manager. If I were a (the) Colchester fan, I''m not sure I''d be too happy with him.

[quote user="Spud1973"]

Boothroyd: I wanted Norwich job

“I did go and meet the Norwich board,” said Boothroyd. “I did have a chat with them and they were looking for somebody to the end of the season, and that''s not me. I want to build something and that didn''t really fit with me.”

From today''s EDP.

Do you think Boothroyd would have kept us in the Championship?

[/quote]

YES

[quote user="morty"][quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]

[quote user="morty"]We certainly would have given ourselves a better chance of staying up rather than going with the cheap option.

The board also kind of copied Newcastle in the "lets appoint a club legend, what could possibly go wrong?" plan.
[/quote]

[/quote]

I imagine the board offerred Aidy a 6 month contract, and like he said, he wanted something longer term. Pity we didn''t have the foresight to identify Lambo at that point.

All that said, we are emerging, like a phoenix from the flames, a much better club for the experience.
[/quote]

Thanks to McNally and Lambert.

Probably so, we were 18th when Gunn tookover, and with Bootroyd in charge i doubt we would have dropped, we probably would have finished around 18th, then finished 18th again this season

Boothroyd would have organised us into a team, whereas under Gunn we were clueless. No doubt we would have stayed up, but as I was saying last season, relegation could be a blessing in disguise because of the need to blood youngsters who were just not getting a chance in the Championship. I''m very happy with the way that this is turning out !! [<:o)]