Sign in to follow this  
Scottlarock

- The Gunn Club - renaming it?

Should the Gunn club be renamed? When should it be renamed? How long should it stay as ''The Gunn Club''?My opinion is it should change at some point - it draws into focus though that it''s risky naming things after people.

[quote user="Scottlarock"]Should the Gunn club be renamed? When should it be renamed? How long should it stay as ''The Gunn Club''?My opinion is it should change at some point - it draws into focus though that it''s risky naming things after people.

[/quote]Despite what I think of the man right now you can''t take away his position in history.Are you likening this to getting a tatoo of a girlfriend on your arm?For me, I''d leave it as it is.

Been a member of the Gunn Club since its inception - whatever we think of his inept time in management, the man is still a club legend who went through a very personal traumatic time whilst he was at the club, during the club''s most successful period in it''s history.  Let''s keep it as it is and let the footballing memories of the man endure.

I know that it reflects on his historic significance as a goal keeper rather than as a manager.But I always wondered why Norwich had become a old boys club in that a load of our former players seemed to have "nice" and well paid office jobs at the club and other than being xxxx they were more than anything a drain on resources.I for one am glad that this old establishment behind the doors of Norwich has been somewhat broken down, as there has been a poison at our club for years..... any significance in the fact that now Gunn has left the dressing room etc seems a happier place ?Im not saying hes been the whole reason we failed for the last 10 years but there has been a rot since we left the premiership with the Worthington promotion era something of a blip because we didnt exactly impress in the Prem did we :-/I think if the club is to move forwards renaming the Gunn club is something that should be in the middle - long term plans.I had friends who were Norwich fans working at Carrow road, and frequently Id ask them about the players etc etc, the normal stuff would come back... Kenton & Russel were arrogant, Iwan had time for everyone and Bellamy was friendly enough, but the one thing comming back from all my mates was Gunn being an arrogant spitefull c**t not to be crossed in the work place because he could and would make your job hell.

[quote user="Scottlarock"]
Should the Gunn club be renamed? When should it be renamed? How long should it stay as ''The Gunn Club''?

My opinion is it should change at some point - it draws into focus though that it''s risky naming things after people.

[/quote]

Huck''s Haven [:)]

[quote user="cityangel"]

[quote user="Scottlarock"]Should the Gunn club be renamed? When should it be renamed? How long should it stay as ''The Gunn Club''?My opinion is it should change at some point - it draws into focus though that it''s risky naming things after people.

[/quote]

Huck''s Haven [:)]

[/quote]Ha-ha, knew you would suggest something like that!

To be honest I know its sounds harsh but if there was any money to be made from changing the name for sponsorship purposes or something I would be all for it. I think such a situation would be completely different from renaming the ground as a whole

[quote user="First Wizard"]Change it, lets bury the supposed legend crap once and for all.[/quote]

That is way over the top, Wiz! Gunny is STILL a legend despite his less than successful tenure as First Team Manager. He was first team keeper during our ''glory days'' & has always said nothing but good things about our club since retirement. On top of that he is a pillar of the community & a generally nice bloke taboot.

Why kick him when he''s down?

[quote user="Nexus_Canary"]I know that it reflects on his historic significance as a goal keeper rather than as a manager.But I always wondered why Norwich had become a old boys club in that a load of our former players seemed to have "nice" and well paid office jobs at the club and other than being xxxx they were more than anything a drain on resources.I for one am glad that this old establishment behind the doors of Norwich has been somewhat broken down, as there has been a poison at our club for years..... any significance in the fact that now Gunn has left the dressing room etc seems a happier place ?Im not saying hes been the whole reason we failed for the last 10 years but there has been a rot since we left the premiership with the Worthington promotion era something of a blip because we didnt exactly impress in the Prem did we :-/I think if the club is to move forwards renaming the Gunn club is something that should be in the middle - long term plans.I had friends who were Norwich fans working at Carrow road, and frequently Id ask them about the players etc etc, the normal stuff would come back... Kenton & Russel were arrogant, Iwan had time for everyone and Bellamy was friendly enough, but the one thing comming back from all my mates was Gunn being an arrogant spitefull c**t not to be crossed in the work place because he could and would make your job hell. [/quote]I can confirm that I heard and experienced the same - I worked at the club in the late nineties (not a new revelation - have sad it before).

Wiz - "supposed legend"? Surely the man is a City legend, there''s no "supposed" about it. We all realise that his management tenure was an unsuccessful one but to use that to tarnish what he achieved for this club would be churlish in the extreme.

The man is still a legend therefore there''s no need to change the name. Goodness me, you''ll be wanting to rename "Delia''s" next... ;)

Lets rename the Geoffrey Watling stand because he has passed away then too shall we?

Leave the Gunn club name.. its synonymous with the ground a nice testimony to Gunnys legend status he achieved as a player.

[quote user="jas the barclay king"]

Lets rename the Geoffrey Watling stand because he has passed away then too shall we?

Leave the Gunn club name.. its synonymous with the ground a nice testimony to Gunnys legend status he achieved as a player.

[/quote]Agreed. What would renaming it achieve exactly? Despite some of the acid n this message board I come across many fans who have a lot of time for Gunn. People will be asking for those within the Hall of Fame to be removed if they ever try management and are unsuccessful. Take care Hucks.

[quote user="Bruces Header"]

[quote user="First Wizard"]Change it, lets bury the supposed legend crap once and for all.[/quote]

That is way over the top, Wiz! Gunny is STILL a legend despite his less than successful tenure as First Team Manager. He was first team keeper during our ''glory days'' & has always said nothing but good things about our club since retirement. On top of that he is a pillar of the community & a generally nice bloke taboot.

Why kick him when he''s down?

[/quote]seemingly and sadly that is what wiz likes to do quite a bit... especially when it comes to Gunn. Way ott. 

Happy to leave well alone for now

He is only a legend to those old enough to remember his playing days

Younger fans coming thru the ranks will no doubt have no allegianceto his memory

Time will neutralise the gun club.

And I''ll third that. I have a relation who was, when she worked at One Railway or whatever it called itself, responsible for the NCFC rail travel account. The only person she had any problems with from NCFC in her time in that role was this supposed legend. Arrogant, ''Do you know who I am'' and so far up his own backside it was suprising you could ever see his head. A nasty nasty man to work with. NCFC is a much place without him thank you.

First Wizard your comment "Change it, lets bury the supposed legend crap once and for all".

So we forget all he done for this club and all he went through personally because the board went for the cheap option???

If you have any kids, if one got to the age of say 32 and didnt talk to you for a few months would you stop loving them?

[quote user="Arthur Whittle"]First Wizard your comment "Change it, lets bury the supposed legend crap once and for all". So we forget all he done for this club and all he went through personally because the board went for the cheap option??? If you have any kids, if one got to the age of say 32 and didnt talk to you for a few months would you stop loving them?[/quote]

No, Arthur, I wouldn''t. I might decide not to like them for a while but, before I made that decision, I would check that my hearing aid was functional.  

There''s a fashion around Norwich for nicking letters from signs.  Why not steal the G so it''s the "''Unn Club", and then paint the remaining letters pink?

[quote user="Arthur Whittle"]First Wizard your comment "Change it, lets bury the supposed legend crap once and for all".

So we forget all he done for this club and all he went through personally because the board went for the cheap option???

If you have any kids, if one got to the age of say 32 and didnt talk to you for a few months would you stop loving them?[/quote]What, like if you had a daughter and she married a black man?

leave it be for time being, Gunns playing career status is something every young goal keeper should aspire to

It should stay the Gunn Club, he was and still is a legend! No one has given more for the club, yes he got paid well for it, but he has a genuine connection with the club and fans.