Sign in to follow this  
gazzathegreat

Classic day out

Having not been to many away matches recently, for a variety of reasons, I was lucky enough to get the chance to go today with my daughter and a good friend. It turned into an away day classic.

With some degree of local knowledge of the area and the fact my daughter’s father in law is a steward at Col U we were tipped off on likely parking areas etc and managed to find a spot not too far away. Have to say the new venue was very disappointing, is this really an improvement on Layer Road, don’t think so. Why are so many of these souless plastic grounds being built miles from nowhere, no history, no atmosphere, and this one could not cope with a full away end - real crush getting refreshments, but cracking atmosphere at half time as Hucks was spotted in amongst all of us.

Have to give a mention to the stewarding which was great, no one tried to get us to sit down and we were just allowed to get on with supporting. We were lucky enough to be on the back row, but the whole away end was full of singing and cheering and a great feeling and atmosphere with chant upon chant of encouragement to the team, many many songs about Paul Lambert and a few towards Mr Cowling.

Pitch was shocking, how is anyone supposed to play football on that? Started slowly, with Col U getting the best of the first 20 minutes, but Martin’s second goal just before half time made the second half very much one sided. Great to see Doc’s classic goal, and more pleasing still to hear so many fans sing his song. What a turn around for him in recent months. New boy Olly very impressive and a great goal. Again both telling and pleasing to see the whole team go over and mob him.

We really are showing great team spirit and at the head of it all and driving it on is Lambert.

I didn’t think I would ever wonder how far we could go this season, after the dire end to the last one and the disgraceful first match of the season - who could possibly have drempt of today?

It was always going to be difficult after the Col U Chairman had behaved like a spoilt child but we played well under the pre match hype and pressure. Yes there were many city fans in the home areas, but it was left to Col U fans to get carried away and act like idiots and get thrown out.

I suppose they must wonder what might have been if Lambert were still there. He’s the difference between the two clubs and we are mighty lucky he wanted to come here. He’s inspired the players we had to become a team and for the club as a whole to mend after recent turbullent times. Not perfect yet, but today was a day when fans there shared something special, the realisation that this is going to be our year.

Oh, and Hucks in the row in front of us - what a guy, what other club has a former player singing and cheering them on on the terraces? Good for you Hucks.

Cheers for that gazza,good read,and glad you enjoyed the day.A lot of us were on here,and watching on the internet,and all we could hear were you lot chanting,and singing. Great result on an awful,awful pitch.Proudest i''ve been as a City fan for a long time[:)]

Hopefully there was no trouble,and happy that Cowling will be crying himself to sleep tpnight.

[quote user="gazzathegreat"]Having not been to many away matches recently, for a variety of reasons, I was lucky enough to get the chance to go today with my daughter and a good friend. It turned into an away day classic. With some degree of local knowledge of the area and the fact my daughter’s father in law is a steward at Col U we were tipped off on likely parking areas etc and managed to find a spot not too far away. Have to say the new venue was very disappointing, is this really an improvement on Layer Road, don’t think so. Why are so many of these souless plastic grounds being built miles from nowhere, no history, no atmosphere, and this one could not cope with a full away end - real crush getting refreshments, but cracking atmosphere at half time as Hucks was spotted in amongst all of us. Have to give a mention to the stewarding which was great, no one tried to get us to sit down and we were just allowed to get on with supporting. We were lucky enough to be on the back row, but the whole away end was full of singing and cheering and a great feeling and atmosphere with chant upon chant of encouragement to the team, many many songs about Paul Lambert and a few towards Mr Cowling. Pitch was shocking, how is anyone supposed to play football on that? Started slowly, with Col U getting the best of the first 20 minutes, but Martin’s second goal just before half time made the second half very much one sided. Great to see Doc’s classic goal, and more pleasing still to hear so many fans sing his song. What a turn around for him in recent months. New boy Olly very impressive and a great goal. Again both telling and pleasing to see the whole team go over and mob him. We really are showing great team spirit and at the head of it all and driving it on is Lambert. I didn’t think I would ever wonder how far we could go this season, after the dire end to the last one and the disgraceful first match of the season - who could possibly have drempt of today? It was always going to be difficult after the Col U Chairman had behaved like a spoilt child but we played well under the pre match hype and pressure. Yes there were many city fans in the home areas, but it was left to Col U fans to get carried away and act like idiots and get thrown out. I suppose they must wonder what might have been if Lambert were still there. He’s the difference between the two clubs and we are mighty lucky he wanted to come here. He’s inspired the players we had to become a team and for the club as a whole to mend after recent turbullent times. Not perfect yet, but today was a day when fans there shared something special, the realisation that this is going to be our year. Oh, and Hucks in the row in front of us - what a guy, what other club has a former player singing and cheering them on on the terraces? Good for you Hucks.[/quote]

It''s no surprise that Hux is such a legend at the Club - he loves NCFC to death!