Sign in to follow this  
SnakepitCanary

Norwich to sign Zak Whitbread

Saw it in the Sun that we are set to sign Zak Whitbread for a fee of £500,000. I don''t know where we have got all this money from but he would be a great signing in my opinion. Probably one of the best centre backs in this league, I think he would forge a good partnership with Askou or Doherty.

[quote user="SnakepitCanary"]Saw it in the Sun that we are set to sign Zak Whitbread for a fee of £500,000. I don''t know where we have got all this money from but he would be a great signing in my opinion. Probably one of the best centre backs in this league, I think he would forge a good partnership with Askou or Doherty.[/quote]

Money from Mr Foulger..........oh ye of so little faith![;)]

[quote user="First Wizard"]

[quote user="SnakepitCanary"]Saw it in the Sun that we are set to sign Zak Whitbread for a fee of £500,000. I don''t know where we have got all this money from but he would be a great signing in my opinion. Probably one of the best centre backs in this league, I think he would forge a good partnership with Askou or Doherty.[/quote]

[/quote]

With all due respect Wizard, are you going to claim that Foulger is going to be responsible for all the signings we make, you''ve already given him credit for R Martin and McNamee ''s signings. 

As much as I hate to admit it don''t you think that maybe Delia and her tv shows/new book profits might have helped a little as well as maybe a few others local businessmen who want to remain anon.

[quote user="cityangel"][quote user="First Wizard"]

[/quote]

With all due respect Wizard, are you going to claim that Foulger is going to be responsible for all the signings we make, you''ve already given him credit for R Martin and McNamee ''s signings. 

As much as I hate to admit it don''t you think that maybe Delia and her tv shows/new book profits might have helped a little as well as maybe a few others local businessmen who want to remain anon.

[/quote]

Yes![;)]

[quote user="cityangel"][quote user="First Wizard"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Why do you hate to admit it Angel? You may not like Delia and you may wish for someone else but she has always dug deep, been disappointed and then dug deep again. I''m not sure I would.

would be amazed if it was 500k as he is in the last year of his contract and has been injured all season and most of pre season... I suspect if we sign him it would be 300k in instalments with promotion and sell on clauses attached. for what it is worth, in my opinion, he was the best centre back in L1 last season and would still look the real deal in the champ. the only central defender in league one who was anywhere near as good was neal trotman now on loan  at southampton. If we did sign him though that would mean we have 4 centre backs, doc askou nelson and whitbread, 3 right backs in martin, spillane and semi (plus francomb) so i think we would perhaps sell on a player or two.

[quote user="The Chirp"]would be amazed if it was 500k as he is in the last year of his contract and has been injured all season and most of pre season... I suspect if we sign him it would be 300k in instalments with promotion and sell on clauses attached. for what it is worth, in my opinion, he was the best centre back in L1 last season and would still look the real deal in the champ. the only central defender in league one who was anywhere near as good was neal trotman now on loan  at southampton. If we did sign him though that would mean we have 4 centre backs, doc askou nelson and whitbread, 3 right backs in martin, spillane and semi (plus francomb) so i think we would perhaps sell on a player or two. [/quote]3 Left backs in Wiggins, Drury, and Habergham as well.Me personally though, i wouldn''t sell any of them unless a substantial offer came in.

Southwark News reckons he wants to leave, plus he''s playing reserve footie.Reserves finally back in action!Richard

Shaw''s reserve side are set for their first game since facing Brighton

in mid-November when they travel to QPR next week. Shaw''s reserves will

face a Hoops second-string likely to be managed by ex-Lion Marc Bircham

on Tuesday January 5, 2010 at Aldershot''s Recreation Ground (kick-off

2pm). Wantaway defender Zak Whitbread and recovering full-back Danny Senda are likely to feature.

[quote user="Big Bad John"][quote user="The Chirp"]would be amazed if it was 500k as he is in the last year of his contract and has been injured all season and most of pre season... I suspect if we sign him it would be 300k in instalments with promotion and sell on clauses attached. for what it is worth, in my opinion, he was the best centre back in L1 last season and would still look the real deal in the champ. the only central defender in league one who was anywhere near as good was neal trotman now on loan  at southampton. If we did sign him though that would mean we have 4 centre backs, doc askou nelson and whitbread, 3 right backs in martin, spillane and semi (plus francomb) so i think we would perhaps sell on a player or two. [/quote]3 Left backs in Wiggins, Drury, and Habergham as well.Me personally though, i wouldn''t sell any of them unless a substantial offer came in.[/quote]habergham is doing well in the youth team so i hear and i think wiggins is very unlucky to be here at a time when drury is playing very well. I would sell semi as i feel he not as good as spillane and martin and with francomb in the wings we have more than enough cover.the player i feel we could get the most interest in is darel russell... a lot of scouts are bound to have noticed how he keeps us ticking over...

Name:Zak Whitbread
Nationality:American
Date of Birth:10/01/1984
Height:6'' 2" (188cm)
Weight:11st 4lbs (71.73kg)
Previous 
Clubs:Liverpool, Millwall (loan)
Position: Defender

Zak Whitbread

American born Zak made his senior debut for Liverpool against Millwall in the Carling Cup tie at The Den during the 2004/5 campaign. However, he was finding it difficult to establish himself as a regular in the first team set-up at Anfield and jumped at the chance of a loan move to The Den, with the prospect of playing Championship football. His made an immediate impact in the home game against Leeds United on 26th November 2005, and was virtually ever present thereafter, extending his loan period until the end of the season.
Everyone at Millwall was delighted when he elected to move to The Den on the three year contract in June 2006. Unfortunately an injury sustained in the home game with Northampton in September kept the young defender sidelined for the rest of the season. Zak won his fitness battle after a lengthy absence, and following injury to Richard Shaw in November 2007 established himself as the number one partner for skipper Paul Robinson at the heart of the defence. In spite of further injury setbacks he returned to have an outstanding end to the 2008/9 campaign in which promotion was narrowly missed.
He elected not to sign a new contract in the summer of 2009 and was transfer listed. Following a hip operation he is expected to be out of action until November.

Reckon he would be a really useful addition to our wekest position on the pitch currently and if we can get a player of his calibre in and keep him fit would go a long way to guarenteeing us promotion.......

Our kid is a Millwall fan and he rates him highly.Ive seen him play a few times and i think he would be a great addition, even if he does look like Rhydian from xfactor! It wasnt long ago that Blackburn wanted him.

[quote user="First Wizard"][quote user="cityangel"][quote user="First Wizard"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Yes![;)]

[/quote]Foulger is doing one of those live webchat thingies on the Official

site on Thursday, so First Wizard will be able to get him to confirm he

has paid for Martin, McNamee and (shortly) Whitbread, as well as every

other Norwich signing since the second world war.[:D][;)][:D]PS.

According to Wiki, Whitbread was born in Texas, which would make him a

Houston Canary. Can we cope with two???[:O][;)][:D][<:o)]

[quote user="SnakepitCanary"]Saw it in the Sun that we are set to sign Zak Whitbread for a fee of £500,000. I don''t know where we have got all this money from [/quote]

from Wes Hoolahans agent working hard this window ;)