Sign in to follow this  
BlyBlyBabes

Have lessons been learnt?

If we win promotion it is going to be absolutely fascinating to see how the owners go about handling the consequences.

Having made rather a pig''s ear out of the opportunities arising from our last promotion in 2004 what approaches will they take?

Will they show that lessons have been learnt?

What will the over-riding policy be? Prudence with ambition?

All I know is that I hope the views of Lambert, McNally and Bowker win out - and the owners back them and then sit back and enjoy the next stage of the journey. However, the pessimist in me worries that this alliance is brittle; that the ''sin'' of pride will emerge and interfere.

There''s no use leaving it until the last minute. The options need to be weighed from now - beginning with making the right decisions in this transfer window.

I think that all the decisions taken by the club from here on be taken in the context of a clear mission based on the momentum theory of success:

Promotion (by any route) this season.

Minimum of play-offs next season.

And the overall vision must be to ultimately establish ourselves as a Premiership club.

What say you?

OTBC

Agree with the minimum of promotion this year but would be happy with top half next and playoffs at least by season after. Rome wasn`t bult in a day...especially with no cash !!

If we get promoted this season-and it has to be as Champions, more likely 2nd, and if its play off''s-well, can see only heartbreak there again-the club need to make a clear statement about wanting to further progress and move forward.

To say you want to "consolidate" in the Championship is sensible maybe-but not obligatory. Plenty of clubs who might have been expected to do that or have set their stall out that way have progressed-Hull, Burnley-as are more this season, Blackpool are going for the play offs for example, Forest are getting it together as well. I would expect Derby, disappointing this season, to make an impression next season as well-so, say next year, Championship pace setters are Leeds, Derby, Norwich, Charlton, plus one or two of whoever comes down from the Prem this season.

Promotion on the back of good gates and football might encourage more investment. It seems that, maybe, as speculated, Michael Foulger has been helping out, Martin and McNamee signed, Zak Whitbread reportedly on his way here and £500''000 quoted.

Am not going to get too excited. We were eight points clear at the top of the Premiership in December 1993 and finished third-mind you, no-one expected that. None the less, until the players are dancing around the Carrow Road pitch, post match, with that "We''re Going Up" banner, I am expecting nothing but more heartbreak. But, BUT, if we do go up-forward, ever forward has to be the only aim.

[quote user="BlyBlyBabes"]

All I know is that I hope the views of Lambert, McNally and Bowker win out - and the owners back them and then sit back and enjoy the next stage of the journey. However, the pessimist in me worries that this alliance is brittle; that the ''sin'' of pride will emerge and interfere.

There''s no use leaving it until the last minute. The options need to be weighed from now - beginning with making the right decisions in this transfer window.

[/quote]

So what are you worried about? How exactly will she interfere?

[quote user="Mustachio Furioso"][quote user="BlyBlyBabes"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Owners always find it difficult not to interfere.

This is especially so when approaches to issues deemed necesssary and taken by management rub one the wrong way and, perhaps, go against the owners life philosophies (the ''hard, professional and efficient'' approach versus the ''soft, cosy and nice'' approach????)

One also suspects that as successive football managers have significantly wasted their player expenditure budgets (Worthy on relegation, Grant, Roeder and Gunn - to some extent) that it becomes progressively more and more difficult to trust the decisions of their successors.

That is partly why I worry that the alliance is brittle.

The hard part will arise if or when either results drop off suddenly or promotion is gained. I suspect that all involved are floating along on a rather unexpected fluffy cloud at the moment thankful for a pause in the pressures brought about by the unremitting decline over the past five years.

Everybody at the club seems to have settled down and to be doing an excellent job at the moment, and long may that continue.

Now Mustachio are you willing to debate these posts or shall we look forward to the characteristic one-liner?

OTBC 

One also suspects that as successive football managers have significantly wasted their player expenditure budgets (Worthy on relegation, Grant, Roeder and Gunn - to some extent) that it becomes progressively more and more difficult to trust the decisions of their successors.

[/quote]

That''s a good point Babes. But I think the way our owners have reacted to this continual wasting of football budgets is proof that they will stay behind Lambert rather than suggesting they will interfere. These are after all  the same owners who backed all those other managers through failure and then dug deep for another go. Not deep enough for some but they certainly didn''t pull the plug. Contrasting with the "once bitten twice shy" shown by other investors during this period.

[quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="BlyBlyBabes"]

[/quote]

That''s a good point Babes. But I think the way our owners have reacted to this continual wasting of football budgets is proof that they will stay behind Lambert rather than suggesting they will interfere. These are after all  the same owners who backed all those other managers through failure and then dug deep for another go. Not deep enough for some but they certainly didn''t pull the plug. Contrasting with the "once bitten twice shy" shown by other investors during this period.

[/quote]

Do you think that the right lessons have been learmt? Or are things likely to fall apart again once the pressures that will be induced by success come to bear on things?

[ip]

OTBC

[quote user="BlyBlyBabes"][quote user="Mustachio Furioso"][quote user="BlyBlyBabes"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Owners always find it difficult not to interfere.

This is especially so when approaches to issues deemed necesssary and taken by management rub one the wrong way and, perhaps, go against the owners life philosophies (the ''hard, professional and efficient'' approach versus the ''soft, cosy and nice'' approach????)

The hard part will arise if or when either results drop off suddenly or promotion is gained. I suspect that all involved are floating along on a rather unexpected fluffy cloud at the moment thankful for a pause in the pressures brought about by the unremitting decline over the past five years.

Everybody at the club seems to have settled down and to be doing an excellent job at the moment, and long may that continue.

Now Mustachio are you willing to debate these posts or shall we look forward to the characteristic one-liner?

OTBC 

[/quote]

Of course I will.

You''re wrong.

Again.

[quote user="BlyBlyBabes"][quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="BlyBlyBabes"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Do you think that the right lessons have been learmt? Or are things likely to fall apart again once the pressures that will be induced by success come to bear on things?

[ip]

OTBC

[/quote]

What lessons?

I think that if Lambert wastes the next budget we will be back in the same boat. What do you reckon Hindsight Horace?

If we win promotion it is going to be absolutely fascinating to see how the owners go about handling the consequences.

Having made rather a pig''s ear out of the opportunities arising from our last promotion in 2004 what approaches will they take?

I think that all the decisions taken by the club from here on be taken in the context of a clear mission based on the momentum theory of success:

And the overall vision must be to ultimately establish ourselves as a Premiership club.

What say you?

OTBC

[/quote]

Our "saviour" will duly feel "vindicated" should the club bounce back this season and she will then once more milk the "brand" for all it is worth......

SMITH OUT or it will simply be more of the same........

[quote user="Cluck the Purist...."][quote user="BlyBlyBabes"]

What say you?

OTBC

[/quote]

Our "saviour" will duly feel "vindicated" should the club bounce back this season and she will then once more milk the "brand" for all it is worth......

SMITH OUT or it will simply be more of the same........

[/quote]

I think you are a very rude woman.

Shame on you.

What say you?

OTBC

[/quote]

If we are to believe all  our Delia''s words she said at the Valley, we will fight tooth and nail to get this club back to the Championship, so we hope they have been learning 

If we are to believe all  our Delia''s words she said at the Valley, we will fight tooth and nail to get this club back to the Championship, so we hope they have been learning 

[/quote]

Rather Churcillesque I''d say.

4 June 1940

"I have, myself, full confidence that if all do their duty, if nothing is neglected, and if the best arrangements are made, as they are being made, we shall prove ourselves once again able to defend our Island home, to ride out the storm of war, and to outlive the menace of tyranny, if necessary for years, if necessary alone.

At any rate, that is what we are going to try to do. That is the resolve of His Majesty''s Government-every man of them. That is the will of Parliament and the nation.

The British Empire and the French Republic, linked together in their cause and in their need, will defend to the death their native soil, aiding each other like good comrades to the utmost of their strength.

Even though large tracts of Europe and many old and famous States have fallen or may fall into the grip of the Gestapo and all the odious apparatus of Nazi rule, we shall not flag or fail.

We shall go on to the end, we shall fight in France,
we shall fight on the seas and oceans,
we shall fight with growing confidence and growing strength in the air, we shall defend our Island, whatever the cost may be,
we shall fight on the beaches,
we shall fight on the landing grounds,
we shall fight in the fields and in the streets,
we shall fight in the hills;
we shall never surrender, and even if, which I do not for a moment believe, this Island or a large part of it were subjugated and starving, then our Empire beyond the seas, armed and guarded by the British Fleet, would carry on the struggle, until, in God''s good time, the New World, with all its power and might, steps forth to the rescue and the liberation of the old."

Hmmm.

OTBC