Sign in to follow this  
Duncan

Another goal from a corner

Just as against Bolton we conceded a goal against Chelsea from a corner when Craig Fleming was outjumped. Is the answer to replace Fleming with Jason Shackell?  Well, possibly but those were two great headers and perhaps there is something else that should be looked at. With Greeno reluctant to come off his line, that puts a lot of pressure on the defenders to make the headed clearance. For both goals we had plenty of men in the box but each time no one on the front post, only a defender on the back post. With a defender stationed on the goal line at the front post, both ''goals'' would probably have been cleared.  Of course neither would have affected the overall result but it could be crucial in games to come.

Exactly Duncan, just made the same point on a different thread. You would think somebody who was a defender all his career would insist on people on the posts, but this is obviously a direct order from Worthington. I can''t believe the players would be so neglectful unless they had been told specifically not to by the manager.

Chas - have you seen citys defending this season - I am confident that they are that neglectful! The Drogba goal shows how little confidence Greeno has in his back 4 (justifiably) and how much Flem has to be rested. His antics on the pitch suggest that he is not happy with teh attention that Charlie has been getting and is now being devisive for the team - some communication has to return. It is now two months and 11 games since we kept a clean sheet - and chelsea are the only quality team in that run...As far as Shacks is concerned his age means he will need some coaching - if no one is talking to him then we could ruin a good prospect for good - leave him out of it and wait for some defensive signings in Jan. I am wary of Henchoz as I understand he is past his best but anything has to be an improvement on what we currently have.OTBC