Sign in to follow this  
First Wazzock

Lambert's signings

“He''s shopping in the market of people who he wants to develop and be Championship footballers with a desire to play for the club and not in the market of mature, established players.”

I have noticed that he is in the market for young players, who obviously want to play for the club have some hunger and are people he feels he can mould into a team. He has obviously seen something in the players that we are all saying ''Who?'' about.

Seeing the impact Lambert has had I can only say, Great stuff.

Agree 100%.  I trust the guy therefore don''t need to question his team line ups or signings.   That is something I havent felt since Worthy was here.

It seems to me that Lambert very carefully hand picks his signings instead of buying someone for the sake of having a larger squad,

Can you see any further transfer movement if we sign Oli and Whitbread?

I cannot see that we would make any permanent signings, Maybe a winger or two on loan?

[quote user="First Wazzock"]

“He''s shopping in the market of people who he wants to develop and be Championship footballers with a desire to play for the club and not in the market of mature, established players.”

I have noticed that he is in the market for young players, who obviously want to play for the club have some hunger and are people he feels he can mould into a team. He has obviously seen something in the players that we are all saying ''Who?'' about.

[/quote]

Couldn''t agree more Wazzy. The difference between this regime and it''s two predecessors couldn''t be more marked. No longer are we getting the "bleeds yellow and green" crap, or fading pros looking for a last payday. Martin, McNamee and Johnson all have the bulk of their careers ahead of them and, as you say, have a hunger. If Whitbread signs (and I understand that he''s already had  a medical) I will be delighted.

[quote user="First Wazzock"]

[/quote]Isn''t this similar to Roeder''s "inbetweenies" philosophy?Going for the young talent route is very difficult, and you can waste a hell of a lot of money on guys who never step up. I''m not having a dig as I certainly think this is the route for us to go in, we don''t have mega bucks and we need players that can cope in the Championship (if we get there next year), but will also be happy to play in League One if all things go wrong. I hope Lambert has a good eye for potential and a good scouting network. He struck gold with Foster, Russell Martin was a known quantity for him and we are yet to see with McNamee, but so far so good. Whitbread seems a no brainer but we are all head scratching over Oli Johnson a bit. Would be a shame if we got promoted and found out a lot of these guys can''t cut it in the Championship (both McNamee and Martin have been there and to some extent "failed") 

[quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"][quote user="First Wazzock"]

[/quote]

Isn''t this similar to Roeder''s "inbetweenies" philosophy?

Going for the young talent route is very difficult, and you can waste a hell of a lot of money on guys who never step up. I''m not having a dig as I certainly think this is the route for us to go in, we don''t have mega bucks and we need players that can cope in the Championship (if we get there next year), but will also be happy to play in League One if all things go wrong.

I hope Lambert has a good eye for potential and a good scouting network. He struck gold with Foster, Russell Martin was a known quantity for him and we are yet to see with McNamee, but so far so good. Whitbread seems a no brainer but we are all head scratching over Oli Johnson a bit. Would be a shame if we got promoted and found out a lot of these guys can''t cut it in the Championship (both McNamee and Martin have been there and to some extent "failed") 
[/quote]

I don''t agree with that at all.  Young talent is cheap, can be signed on a short contract and can be dropped at the end of a contract if they fail, whereas good experienced pros will expect top wages, long contracts and can cost hefty transfer fees. If you sign a few youngsters and only one makes it, the money made in one sale can cover the lost outlay on a few others.   

[quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"][quote user="First Wazzock"]

[/quote]

Isn''t this similar to Roeder''s "inbetweenies" philosophy?

Going for the young talent route is very difficult, and you can waste a hell of a lot of money on guys who never step up. I''m not having a dig as I certainly think this is the route for us to go in, we don''t have mega bucks and we need players that can cope in the Championship (if we get there next year), but will also be happy to play in League One if all things go wrong.

I hope Lambert has a good eye for potential and a good scouting network. He struck gold with Foster, Russell Martin was a known quantity for him and we are yet to see with McNamee, but so far so good. Whitbread seems a no brainer but we are all head scratching over Oli Johnson a bit. Would be a shame if we got promoted and found out a lot of these guys can''t cut it in the Championship (both McNamee and Martin have been there and to some extent "failed") 
[/quote]

Didn''t McNamee win promotion with Watford into the Premiership?

[quote user="Beauseant"][quote user="First Wazzock"]

[/quote]

Couldn''t agree more Wazzy. The difference between this regime and it''s two predecessors couldn''t be more marked. No longer are we getting the "bleeds yellow and green" crap, or fading pros looking for a last payday. Martin, McNamee and Johnson all have the bulk of their careers ahead of them and, as you say, have a hunger. If Whitbread signs (and I understand that he''s already had  a medical) I will be delighted.

[/quote]

I suppose the "proof of the pudding will be in the eating" but I too agree with this. And it''s testament to the confidence the fans now have in Lambert that there''s no crying about "cheap options" that we would have had in the last few seasons if we''d made these signings. As I said on the other thread, this is the way we have always operated. It was only in the last couple of seasons where we tried to be "cleverer than the rest" and gone down different roads.

However it remains to be seen if these are more of Mr Carrows cheap options whch are false economy.