Sign in to follow this  
Gaz Milno

Norwich Closing In On Oli Johnson

[quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="Getalife"][quote user="Gaz Milno"]According To Sky Sports.

He is from Stockport. Striker. Aged 22.
[/quote]
If he turns out as useful as  Ollie Burton (born 11 November, 1941 who is a member of the Norwich City F.C. Hall of Fame.
then Whoopeee.
How many recall seeing this NCFC striker ? - A class player.
[/quote]

Ollie Burton was indeed a good player. But in midfield. Not a striker.[:)][/quote]

PC, I see that on Wikipedia he is also listed as a striker. That''s news to me. He was only ever in the midfield when I watched him, but he was a good player. 

[quote user="YankeeCanary"]

[quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="Getalife"][quote user="Gaz Milno"]According To Sky Sports.He is from Stockport. Striker. Aged 22. [/quote]If he turns out as useful as  Ollie Burton (born 11 November, 1941 who is a member of the Norwich City F.C. Hall of Fame.then Whoopeee.How many recall seeing this NCFC striker ? - A class player.[/quote]Ollie Burton was indeed a good player. But in midfield. Not a striker.[:)][/quote]

PC, I see that on Wikipedia he is also listed as a striker. That''s news to me. He was only ever in the midfield when I watched him, but he was a good player. 

[/quote]Indeed, Yankee. He may very occasionally (although I don''t remember it) filled in up front in an emergency, but week in, week out he played in midfield. And very well.

[quote user="AVFC-NCFC"]Why sign him if he has scored 1 goal?[/quote]FFs mate, you cant allways sign 20 gaol a season proven strikers can you. every heard of potential? You may aswell say why did Arsenal sign Fabregas if he had never played a game for Barcelona 1st team!

[quote user="Dion Dublin Legend"][quote user="ZippersLeftFoot"]

So we are signing a stockport sub?  with on goal all year?  It strikes me as a really odd signing!

So which of our strikers is going?    Personally it feels like Cody has not impressed Lambert.   He is not a Holt replacement (leeds rumours continue to reach me, should beckford leave) and we have three sub strikers in cureton, McDonald and Daley.   Why do we need a third young striker with some potential?   As a striker I would have preferred someone with experience and a greater physical presence.

Anyone elses thoughts?

[/quote]

There is another way of trying to assess this lad''s talent Zipp... you''ve gone with "He''s only been on the bench for Stockport, who are bottom of the league, so he''s probably not much good." That''s perfectly reasonable, but you could go with the strongly rumoured interest Roy Hodgson had in him this summer as an indicator that he''s got something special about him. Perhaps given SCFC''s financial troubles there''s some clause that if he plays or starts a certain number of games a payment is triggered to his previous club, which they can''t afford?

Time will tell which is right, but I''m going to have to trust Lambert!

[/quote]

Very much possible but at 22 he is not going to be on a lot or at stockport have a large appearance fee.  And if he is good enough for hodgson to express an interest I am sure his stock would have been good enough for a mid level champs team to be sniffing around. 

My real point is why a 22 yo striker when we have two pacey talented youngsters with potential already in the squad who have scored with as much frequency and made similar a appearance profile - ie primarily from the bench.  He will have to be something v special for him to be in ahead of our current two.   And if we were to sign a striker it should have been as a holt cureton replacement - more experienced and with some height...

Just seems an unusual signing to me thats all

[quote user="Smudger"]

[quote user="Tunica Molesta"]Americanos blue jeans and chinos
[/quote]

haha he is probably about as much use on the pitch as the 49yr old Scouse lead singer of FGTH would be... what a joke of a signing... may as well of planned to keep hold of Cureton!

[/quote]

You condascending twat. You know nothing of this lad.

[quote user="ZippersLeftFoot"][quote user="Dion Dublin Legend"][quote user="ZippersLeftFoot"]

So we are signing a stockport sub?  with on goal all year?  It strikes me as a really odd signing!

So which of our strikers is going?    Personally it feels like Cody has not impressed Lambert.   He is not a Holt replacement (leeds rumours continue to reach me, should beckford leave) and we have three sub strikers in cureton, McDonald and Daley.   Why do we need a third young striker with some potential?   As a striker I would have preferred someone with experience and a greater physical presence.

Anyone elses thoughts?

[/quote]

There is another way of trying to assess this lad''s talent Zipp... you''ve gone with "He''s only been on the bench for Stockport, who are bottom of the league, so he''s probably not much good." That''s perfectly reasonable, but you could go with the strongly rumoured interest Roy Hodgson had in him this summer as an indicator that he''s got something special about him. Perhaps given SCFC''s financial troubles there''s some clause that if he plays or starts a certain number of games a payment is triggered to his previous club, which they can''t afford?

[/quote]

Very much possible but at 22 he is not going to be on a lot or at stockport have a large appearance fee.  And if he is good enough for hodgson to express an interest I am sure his stock would have been good enough for a mid level champs team to be sniffing around. 

My real point is why a 22 yo striker when we have two pacey talented youngsters with potential already in the squad who have scored with as much frequency and made similar a appearance profile - ie primarily from the bench.  He will have to be something v special for him to be in ahead of our current two.   And if we were to sign a striker it should have been as a holt cureton replacement - more experienced and with some height...

[/quote]

Thinking back, did Stockport have Whaley on loan and wanted to keep him but not enough money, is this a swap deal?

[quote user="TheGoogler"][quote user="Smudger"]

[quote user="Tunica Molesta"]Americanos blue jeans and chinos
[/quote]

haha he is probably about as much use on the pitch as the 49yr old Scouse lead singer of FGTH would be... what a joke of a signing... may as well of planned to keep hold of Cureton!

[/quote]

[/quote]

I know he has only scored 7 goals in his entire career so far.

Most of his appearances have been as sub however so maybe he does have some potential. 

This signing may make you happy but it does nothing for me.  We have two young strikers in MacDonald and Daley who need to develop in order to make the step up to regular first team action and could well do without a 3rd in my opinion.  We need to be signing a proven striker at this level and at the value for money asking price of £250k for Lee Barnard City should be pushing the boat out to ensure that we are signing a player who can step up to the mark now!

[quote user="Smudger"][quote user="TheGoogler"][quote user="Smudger"]

[quote user="Tunica Molesta"]Americanos blue jeans and chinos[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Most of his appearances have been as sub however so maybe he does have some potential. 

This signing may make you happy but it does nothing for me.  We have two young strikers in MacDonald and Daley who need to develop in order to make the step up to regular first team action and could well do without a 3rd in my opinion.  We need to be signing a proven striker at this level and at the value for money asking price of £250k for Lee Barnard City should be pushing the boat out to ensure that we are signing a player who can step up to the mark now!

[/quote]I too would rather Barnard but would he come to sit on Norwich''s bench? He isn''t as good as Holt imo and that is the player he is most similar to. You wouldn''t play him instead of Martin as one of the main reasons Norwich have done so well in attack is that the mixture of Martin, Holt and Hoolahan is tpoo much for teams at this level to deal with. I know zilch about johnson but I think in Lambert we (currently!) have a manager that can pick out a player others wouldn''t even consider and make him a decent player. 

Apparently he was all set to move to West Brom in the summer until Mobray went to Celtic and the move fell through. Since then Stockport fans say he has looked like he wants to be elsewhere. Prior to that he was showing signs of promise and looked a real talent.

[quote user="Smudger"][quote user="TheGoogler"][quote user="Smudger"]

[quote user="Tunica Molesta"]Americanos blue jeans and chinos[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]You see, you''ve made the exact same point as before, only in a way that doesn''t instantly get people''s backs up and is conducive to reasonable discussion.  It''s not too hard is it, Smudger? ;)It''s a very fair point, to be fair.  If we have a bit of cash floating about for a striker I would like to see us mixing it with the bigger boys for a Barnard or maybe trying to grab a decent Championship loan - Gary Hooper or someone similar.  That said, I''m sure Lambert has seen something in the lad.  Look forward to seeing what it is!

[quote user="Askounin"][quote user="AVFC-NCFC"]Why sign him if he has scored 1 goal?[/quote]
FFs mate, you cant allways sign 20 gaol a season proven strikers can you. every heard of potential? You may aswell say why did Arsenal sign Fabregas if he had never played a game for Barcelona 1st team!
[/quote]

Because there is a slight difference between not getting into the Barcelona side and not getting into a Stockport side. We will see but who is he back up for? Cody? Who i''m sure could do a better job than him.

According to the Mirror he was also linked to Fulham in November, the article doesn''t give much detail, but he must have something about him?http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Fulham-ready-to-bid-for-Stockport-striker-Oli-Johnson-article30043.html

[quote user="pete_norw"][quote user="ZippersLeftFoot"][quote user="Dion Dublin Legend"][quote user="ZippersLeftFoot"]

Anyone elses thoughts?

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Thinking back, did Stockport have Whaley on loan and wanted to keep him but not enough money, is this a swap deal?

[/quote]

No, he was at Rochdale and then Bradford.

Stockport really need the money, and also to get people off their wage bill.

Possibly,  was starting think whether they owed us some money from somewhere but think briggs was the last movement between the clubs..

Lambert appears to know exactly what he is doing and i agree that if Fulham were looking then he must have something about him.He certainly seems to fit the young and hungry type player that Lambert wants.I for one am quite excited about the young uns he is bringing in Martin,Macnamee and Johnson hopefully followed by Whitbread.Heres one he should have a look at Nathan Luscombe at Sunderland 17 years old but an exciting talent and left sided as well.Am sure Vrucie would help his old club out.

[quote user="Smudger"]haha he is probably about as much use on the pitch as the 49yr old Scouse lead singer of FGTH would be... what a joke of a signing... may as well of planned to keep hold of Cureton![/quote]Isn''t this the same Smudger, who was slating Hoolahan at the start of the season and said "come back and see me when he''s got 15 goals" (or something like that)? If not I apologise, but if so, I would certainly wait to make an assessment this time mate!

[quote user="SimonOTBC"][quote user="pete_norw"][quote user="ZippersLeftFoot"][quote user="Dion Dublin Legend"][quote user="ZippersLeftFoot"]

Anyone elses thoughts?

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

No, he was at Rochdale and then Bradford.

Stockport really need the money, and also to get people off their wage bill.

[/quote]

Oh hell what was I thinking of, sorry put it down to the snow,

As I''ve previously said on here, I have a soft spot for Stockport and keep an eye on their players - Oli Johnson is a good one. We''ll do well to have him.

[quote user="paul moy"]

[quote user="Pablo Picarsole"]Why is his christian name an anagram of oil?[/quote]

Cos he''s black and slick perhaps ? [:D]

[/quote]

Racist

I would suggest this could be more about Cureton going the other way... perhaps Oli Johnson, a player Lambert is familiar with, was offered the other way to avoid a transfer fee for Cureton. Clearly this Oli guy will be on far less wages, and obviously has some level of quality, moreso than Cureton now.

[quote user="Panic Dem"][quote user="Salopian"]- probably a very cheap bench warmer(I hope) with potential. His record is not very good, but he was once considered for Fulham. Perhaps PL, or one of the others, feels that in time he could develop.Seems the end for Curo, loan for Cody?[/quote]

Very surprising - we need players that we know can make a positive impact now to enhance our chances of promotion not players that may or may not develop in the future. Very odd.[/quote]It''s a marathon not a sprint. We need a selection of players, a squad, for any situation, this guy clearly has pace... could be an impact player from the bench.

Oli can cut it straight away. He''s in a very bad team at the moment, but he''s got enough about him to make an impact. Most definitely.

[quote user="AVFC-NCFC"]

[quote user="Askounin"][quote user="AVFC-NCFC"]Why sign him if he has scored 1 goal?[/quote]
FFs mate, you cant allways sign 20 gaol a season proven strikers can you. every heard of potential? You may aswell say why did Arsenal sign Fabregas if he had never played a game for Barcelona 1st team!
[/quote]

Because there is a slight difference between not getting into the Barcelona side and not getting into a Stockport side. We will see but who is he back up for? Cody? Who i''m sure could do a better job than him.

[/quote]

What exactly is that statement based on?  I doubt you''ve actually seen very much of Cody nevermind Oli Johnson....ridiculous statement!

To be honest i have no doubt he is better than young Cody already. Not really trying to put a dampener on the Mac as wed all love to see him make it. Fact remains that we picked him from non league as a gamble,so far he hasnt done anything of note.  If Roy Hodgson (a very very good eye for a player) saw something in Johnson then id say he already has more in his locker than young Cody.  Id love to see Cody develop but he has a bit of the Aidy Forbes about him, cant fault his effort but he is a bit of a headless chicken. Best to ship him down to L2 or lower reaches of L1 and get him playing regularly and hopefully scoring some goals.I too was mystified by Johnsons name cropping up today but he must have something about him. Lets hope Lambert can get it out.....

Everyone keeps talking about Fulham being interested so he must be a good player. What a laod of rubbish if he was that good Fulham would have snapped him up by now and he wouldn''t have been on the bench at Stockport all season and now joining us, he would be heading to a top champ or a premiership club. It seems as though hes probably a squad player and i for one will be reserving judgement until I''ve seen him play a full season,.thats  if he gets a game.

[quote user="Dead Canary"]Everyone keeps talking about Fulham being interested so he must be a good player. What a laod of rubbish if he was that good Fulham would have snapped him up by now and he wouldn''t have been on the bench at Stockport all season and now joining us, he would be heading to a top champ or a premiership club. It seems as though hes probably a squad player and i for one will be reserving judgement until I''ve seen him play a full season,.thats  if he gets a game.[/quote]Doesn''t sound like you''re reserving judgment.

I know nothing of this Stockport player. However I think we do need backup for our strikers. I''m far from convinced with MacDonald. I don''t think he has the composure in front of goal. Whether this is something that can be coached I don''t know but even for this level I think he needs too many chances per goal - this was certainly the case under Gunn. Cureton certainly does not appear in Lamberts plans though you would have thought he could do a job at this level.

All we can do with this is wait and see. But I really don''t see any point in slagging a player off before we have even seem him play. It is just the usual we get on here - every time we sign someone they are either crap or we have missed out on someone better. Only a couple of months ago people were slagging off Holt, saying how we''d missed out on Dickinson and got second best. I''m pretty sure that this is not their opinion now.

Lambert has so far well for us in terms of tactics, results, and also signings, so I''m willing to trust his judgement on the guy before deciding whether this player is any good, and I suggest others do the same.