Sign in to follow this  
Pete Raven

Press conference 2.30pm

[quote user="Bob Franklin"][quote user="Butterbean_Canary"]

[quote user="Big Bad John"][quote user="The 12th Devine"]Can barely contain myself - a one in every six match scoring machine whose only dubious merit is that Fulham once thought (and then forgot) about thinking about signing him. Must trust Lambert... must trust Lambert... must - nope, not working on this one, must just be very cheap.[/quote]

After Martin had hit his obvious early form he only managed 1 or 2 goals in almost 20 appearences or so.

Players can go off the rails, but with the proper management, right atmosphere about the club, and talented players that can act both as role models, and as the catalyst for bringing the best out of the other players on the pitch (in Johnsons case that''d be Russell, Hoolahan and Holt i''d imagine), the performances from then on could be unrecognisable.

I don''t consider it a mere coicedence that Holt, Hoolahan and Martins previous records in football are by far and away uncomparable to their performances so far this season.

If this lad has talent and potential, we have all the means at hand to bring it out. Lambert knows this i think, and the results could be boundless.
[/quote]

Well put BBJ,

People don''t seem to realise that he is coming in as a squad player and not a first teamer. We don''t need a first team striker at the moment. I think this means that Cureton will be going very shortly for a cheap transfer and we will make the savings back on Johnsons wages against what Cureton''s was

[/quote]

Possibilty of Cureton going has been much discussed. The issue is not a fee but whether there is a club out there prepared to take over Curetons remuneration  or, at least, a decent proportion of it. I doubt that there is such a club.

[/quote]

I know what you mean Bob. I am sure the likes of Cheltnaaaam and co run like speedy gonzalez (or Rapid dave) when they see his wage demands. My only hope is that he really does just want to play first team football somewhere and takes a big pay cut 

The Millwall fans on 606 said that he had started full training and only hadnt played because they havent had any reserve fixtures of late.

[quote user="Butterbean_Canary"][quote user="Bob Franklin"][quote user="Butterbean_Canary"]

[quote user="Big Bad John"][quote user="The 12th Devine"]Can barely contain myself - a one in every six match scoring machine whose only dubious merit is that Fulham once thought (and then forgot) about thinking about signing him. Must trust Lambert... must trust Lambert... must - nope, not working on this one, must just be very cheap.[/quote]

After Martin had hit his obvious early form he only managed 1 or 2 goals in almost 20 appearences or so.

Players can go off the rails, but with the proper management, right atmosphere about the club, and talented players that can act both as role models, and as the catalyst for bringing the best out of the other players on the pitch (in Johnsons case that''d be Russell, Hoolahan and Holt i''d imagine), the performances from then on could be unrecognisable.

I don''t consider it a mere coicedence that Holt, Hoolahan and Martins previous records in football are by far and away uncomparable to their performances so far this season.

If this lad has talent and potential, we have all the means at hand to bring it out. Lambert knows this i think, and the results could be boundless.
[/quote]

Well put BBJ,

People don''t seem to realise that he is coming in as a squad player and not a first teamer. We don''t need a first team striker at the moment. I think this means that Cureton will be going very shortly for a cheap transfer and we will make the savings back on Johnsons wages against what Cureton''s was

[/quote]

Possibilty of Cureton going has been much discussed. The issue is not a fee but whether there is a club out there prepared to take over Curetons remuneration  or, at least, a decent proportion of it. I doubt that there is such a club.

[/quote]

I know what you mean Bob. I am sure the likes of Cheltnaaaam and co run like speedy gonzalez (or Rapid dave) when they see his wage demands. My only hope is that he really does just want to play first team football somewhere and takes a big pay cut 

[/quote]

Hate to say this BBC but if was Curo, 34 years old and end of career approaching faster than he can run, I would dig my heels in and take the money !

[quote user="Beauseant"][quote user="Bob Franklin"][quote user="Beauseant"][quote user="Bob Franklin"]

[quote user="Sports Desk - Pete"]All better cheers Sainty, hope you had an enjoyable Christmas and New Year.[/quote]

Very cosy.

[/quote]

Your point being?

[/quote]

Just an observation Sainty.

[/quote]

Well done that man.

[/quote]

Mmm, a poor effort.

What a terrifc day and what a pleasure it is to have a proper manager and proper people at the helm of the club. Its only when you have the real deal that you realise what you have been putting up with. One week into the transfer window, 4 players signed up and squad now has no obvious weaknesses. Excellent.

Coupled with Lambo nailing his colours to the mast could not really be happier with how things are going even with the fanancial situation!

[quote user="Holts Big Toe"]Whitbread will be playing in the no. 31 shirt and Johnson in the no. 32 shirt.[/quote]

I find it weird that number 11 hasn''t been used. Possibly one more signing or is that wishful thinking? [:P] (please be Adomah ... [:D])

[quote user="Mr. Bump"]Team for Saturday

------------------Forster-------------------
--R.Martin--Doherty--Whitbread--Drury--
-------Smith-----Russell-----Lappin-------
----------------Hoolahan------------------
------------C.Martin----Holt--------------

Subs: Steer, Otsemobor, Nelson, McNamee, Hughes, McDonald, Johnson
[/quote]

Everyone predicted McNamee and Martin coming straight in,  but while Martin is now a regular even he missed the first game.  If fit I suspect both will be on the bench,  but otherwise I expect an unchanged side.

------------------Forster------------------
----R.Martin--Doherty--Nelson--Drury----
-------Smith-----Russell-----Lappin-------
-------C Martin-------Hoolahan-----------
------------------Holt---------------------

[quote user="NCFC_Shaun"]

[quote user="Holts Big Toe"]Whitbread will be playing in the no. 31 shirt and Johnson in the no. 32 shirt.[/quote]

I find it weird that number 11 hasn''t been used. Possibly one more signing or is that wishful thinking? [:P] (please be Adomah ... [:D])

[/quote]Isn''t that Wall-E''s shirt number ?!?

[/quote]Whaley [N]

[/quote]

Whaley wears number 11!

[quote user="Jim Smith"]

What a terrifc day and what a pleasure it is to have a proper manager and proper people at the helm of the club. Its only when you have the real deal that you realise what you have been putting up with. One week into the transfer window, 4 players signed up and squad now has no obvious weaknesses. Excellent.

Coupled with Lambo nailing his colours to the mast could not really be happier with how things are going even with the fanancial situation!

[/quote]and with beckford handing in a transfer request at dirty leeds, things are looking up. For once, i am gonna praise the board, WELL DONE ALL! Promotion at the first attempt, i can see it!

Are both of these players fit and eligible for tomorrow?

Whitbread I think is a excellent signing has a good reputation, especially at this level and if you trust the good old Football manager he should do well here. Johnson I know less about, maybe a bit of a gamble signing but we will see. In Lamber we trust

Jim Smith wrote the following post at 08/01/2010 2:54 PM:

Agreed that we have an excellent manager in Lambert plus solid financial administration compared to the past and I remember too the excitement of Gunn''s quick succession signings. Fair play to the much derided Gunn, he did well on the transfer front and I hope that Lambert''s signings prove as good and successful as Gunn''s. At least Lambert''s signings are joining an existing, strong squad so it won''t be too hard for them to gel into the current set-up. Whitbread is an excellent signing and Jonson definitely looks a good prospect. And no, this isn''t another rant in support of Gunn just another observation !

[quote user="Sheffield uni Canary"]

Whitbread I think is a excellent signing has a good reputation, especially at this level and if you trust the good old Football manager he should do well here. Johnson I know less about, maybe a bit of a gamble signing but we will see. In Lamber we trust

[/quote]

Both eligible but only Johnson is fit for tomorrow.

[quote user="Mr. T"][quote user="NCFC_Shaun"]

[/quote]

Whaley wears number 11!

[/quote]

Damn [:''(] There goes that hope then ...

[quote user="Sports Desk - Pete"][quote user="Sheffield uni Canary"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

When will Whitbread be fit? Do you know? Hopefully ASAP.

[quote user="Bob Franklin"]

Agreed that we have an excellent manager in Lambert plus solid financial administration compared to the past and I remember too the excitement of Gunn''s quick succession signings. Fair play to the much derided Gunn, he did well on the transfer front and I hope that Lambert''s signings prove as good and successful as Gunn''s. At least Lambert''s signings are joining an existing, strong squad so it won''t be too hard for them to gel into the current set-up. Whitbread is an excellent signing and Jonson definitely looks a good prospect. And no, this isn''t another rant in support of Gunn just another observation !

[/quote]Oh come on Bob.....Gunn''s signings were ok. Holt and Hughes i will hold my hands up too (but they were always gonna be a success in this league) and Askou (came highly recommended by Needergaard), but, yes...he did have to persue him. So 3...not bad.Maric, Theoklitos, Whaley, Nelson, Gill, OTJ, Wiggins and Mcveigh have hardly been successful.

[quote user="Sports Desk - Pete"][quote user="Sheffield uni Canary"]

[/quote]

Whats up with whitbread? I was rather banking on us having him available for Col U!

[/quote]

[quote user="can u sit down please"][quote user="Bob Franklin"]

[/quote]

Oh come on Bob.....Gunn''s signings were ok. Holt and Hughes i will hold my hands up too (but they were always gonna be a success in this league) and Askou (came highly recommended by Needergaard), but, yes...he did have to persue him. So 3...not bad.

Maric, Theoklitos, Whaley, Nelson, Gill, OTJ, Wiggins and Mcveigh have hardly been successful.
[/quote]i can beleive you are slating Theo [;)]

This is pleasing stuff!Its even more pleasing to be signing good players at this point in january rather than reactionary buying on the last day.Another point I''d like to make - if we''re pleased with these signings (which it seems we generally are), then you can imagine that Lambo is also extremely pleased. It seems that McNamee, Whitbread and Johnson are players he''s watched for a while and now he finds himself in a position to be able to sign them. With our stature in this league and our form and position, we are a big draw for players around this level. Mr Lambert can now reap the benefits of this: quite possibly the first time in his managerial career that he''s had such power in the transfer market. I think he''s enjoying this as much as we are!I so hope the game stays on for tomorrow!

Bob Franklin

Bob (or Roberta) you have made me brake another New Year Resolution.

Come on - you''ve never been serious have you?

Just an observation you understand