Sign in to follow this  
Salopian

Finished, and good, business

Four signings in a week by PL, all reasonably priced in view of our financial situation.One we have seen play, and been impressed, one has been with us and done well in training apparently, one has a good reputation and will tighten up central defence, and only one is relatively unknown. Johnson, the last, has blistering pace and gives us options which our present trio up front do not provide.So we have not signed Barnard, Dagnall, Seebourne, etc - these could have been expensive. The thing which I like is that spending has been relatively small, - £700k or £800k at most, which means that there should be money for signings when we are promoted. It''s all looking good!

It''s all looking very good, but I think a lot of people are assuming that Whitbread and Johnson are going to be outstanding!  I think we should give them a couple of games before saying if they are good signings or not. 
Also personally I think R.Martin is no better than Otsemobor, so I am not overly impressed with that signing.  McNamee has hardly played 15 minutes so he needs time.  Johnson is quite unknown and I think when you look at his goal scoring record you have to take into account he is playing in a very poor side.  And Whitbread from whenever I''ve seen him play he looks quite good, but how many times has a player come to Carrow Road who we all think is quite a good player but turn out to be rubbish!  He also needs time.

I know I have probably looked at these signings in an dim way, but I think I am being realistic and I think we should defiantely see them play a few games before jumping to conclusions.

[quote user="Salopian"]Four signings in a week by PL, all reasonably priced in view of our financial situation.

One we have seen play, and been impressed, one has been with us and done well in training apparently, one has a good reputation and will tighten up central defence, and only one is relatively unknown. Johnson, the last, has blistering pace and gives us options which our present trio up front do not provide.

So we have not signed Barnard, Dagnall, Seebourne, etc - these could have been expensive. The thing which I like is that spending has been relatively small, - £700k or £800k at most, which means that there should be money for signings when we are promoted.

It''s all looking good!
[/quote]

\How do you know how much was paid..arent they all undisclosed?

Yeah they all have potential but remember all of gunny''s signings where we all thought gill was a cracker and maric would score goals for fun at the moment I can only see whitbread making it to the first team. the others are backup, good back up, but just that. lets not get too carried away eh.

[quote user="city4eva"]

[quote user="Salopian"]Four signings in a week by PL, all reasonably priced in view of our financial situation.One we have seen play, and been impressed, one has been with us and done well in training apparently, one has a good reputation and will tighten up central defence, and only one is relatively unknown. Johnson, the last, has blistering pace and gives us options which our present trio up front do not provide.So we have not signed Barnard, Dagnall, Seebourne, etc - these could have been expensive. The thing which I like is that spending has been relatively small, - £700k or £800k at most, which means that there should be money for signings when we are promoted. It''s all looking good![/quote]

\How do you know how much was paid..arent they all undisclosed?

[/quote]That''s a fair assumption based on our current financial plight

[quote user="Boyo"]

It''s all looking very good, but I think a lot of people are assuming that Whitbread and Johnson are going to be outstanding!  I think we should give them a couple of games before saying if they are good signings or not. 
Also personally I think R.Martin is no better than Otsemobor, so I am not overly impressed with that signing.  McNamee has hardly played 15 minutes so he needs time.  Johnson is quite unknown and I think when you look at his goal scoring record you have to take into account he is playing in a very poor side.  And Whitbread from whenever I''ve seen him play he looks quite good, but how many times has a player come to Carrow Road who we all think is quite a good player but turn out to be rubbish!  He also needs time.

I know I have probably looked at these signings in an dim way, but I think I am being realistic and I think we should defiantely see them play a few games before jumping to conclusions.

[/quote]

To be fair i thought the same of Russell Martin too, but i thought he did very well at Wycombe but defensively and offensively.

Hold on Boyo!!

To say that Martin is just as good/bad as Semmy is outrageous!! Semmy is woeful at best and liability. I would pick Marting ahead of him every time.

Agreed though that I will reserve my judgement on the new players once I have seen them play. There have plenty of "good" players come here in recent times and done naff all... but we have Lambert now so my expectation is slightly better.

[quote user="B-ru"]Hold on Boyo!!

To say that Martin is just as good/bad as Semmy is outrageous!! Semmy is woeful at best and liability. I would pick Marting ahead of him every time.

[/quote]

I''d pick my Nan to play ahead of Semi.

QUOTE: Also personally I think R.Martin is no better than Otsemobor, so I am not overly impressed with that signing. 

Anyone who thinks Russell Martin is no better than Otsemobor is either blind or stupid.

There are those who have blind faith with certain players. 

I''m just glad the person above''s name isn''t Paul Lambert!