Sign in to follow this  
Brendo

Zack Whitbread and Oli Johnson.

Right, been out all day, and just seen we''ve signed these two. [:)]I know I could research it, but were both these first team regulars? And how well they done this season?Also, how do you think they will fit in here? Start them, reserve, impact player from bench?[Y]

This from one of the speedways fans on the players.

2 very good signings,whitbread is by far the best defender in league 1,i was gutted we didn''t sign him in the summer but he was asking for over 12k a week so our chairman said eff off basically,and last season oli johnson looked like he was gonna go on and score loads this year but i guess playing in a struggling stockport team doesnt help

and i''m still suprised we sold russell martin to you when we don''t have another right back at the club

[quote user="Brendan"]Right, been out all day, and just seen we''ve signed these two. [:)]

I know I could research it, but were both these first team regulars? And how well they done this season?

Also, how do you think they will fit in here? Start them, reserve, impact player from bench?

[Y]
[/quote]

Try googling them [:D]

[quote user="Brendan"]Right, been out all day, and just seen we''ve signed these two. [:)]

I know I could research it, but were both these first team regulars? And how well they done this season?

Also, how do you think they will fit in here? Start them, reserve, impact player from bench?

[Y]
[/quote]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oli_Johnson

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zak_Whitbread

I did before reading that, and he''s scored 6 in 40 for Stockport, quality record, ay? [;)]

[quote user="Brendan"]And only 1 this season. Sounds like he''s gonna be banging them in. [/quote]he''s already worked with Lambo........so if it''s anything like Hooloahoop and his resurgency then I trust Mr Paul Lambert (a stylish and wonderful man)

[quote user="Brendan"]And only 1 this season. Sounds like he''s gonna be banging them in.
[/quote]

There''s just no way of knowing. to be fair he''s going to be playing with better qaulity players than he was, so Lambert must have seen some raw ability that makes him think he''s going to be at least as good as Cody.

Of the 40 appearances, 17 were as sub, so it''s difficult to assess how much playing time was involved. I suspect Lambert sees Johnson backing up Holt by coming on as sub or occasionally starting to give Holty a rest. It''s also possible that he could be the third up front in a 4-3-3 alternative to the diamond.

Whitbread''s signing leaves me wondering where Spillane might fit into Lambert''s plans. It''ll all be interesting anyway!

[quote user="Brendan"]I did before reading that, and he''s scored 6 in 40 for Stockport, quality record, ay? [;)][/quote]

I don''t think we have the money to bring a proven goalscorer (Barnard etc). Oli is only 22 and as raw as they come. from what I can understand he will be a tricky speedy player to bring on when opposition players are tiring. Lets keep our fingers crossed for him.

I''ve heard Whitbread described as the best defender in the league ... lets hope so.

What I want to know though is ...

when will he be fit and ready to go? He hasn''t played a match this season.

[quote user="scrimmage"]Lambo ain''t stupid mate.
[/quote]

We cant judge, he hasnt been here for a transfer window yet. Results are looking okay though

[quote user="Yelloow Since 72"]

Of the 40 appearances, 17 were as sub, so it''s difficult to assess how much playing time was involved. I suspect Lambert sees Johnson backing up Holt by coming on as sub or occasionally starting to give Holty a rest. It''s also possible that he could be the third up front in a 4-3-3 alternative to the diamond.

Whitbread''s signing leaves me wondering where Spillane might fit into Lambert''s plans. It''ll all be interesting anyway!

[/quote]

With Whitbread Lambert now has 9 defenders. RB = Martin/Otsemobor/Spillane. CB = Whitbread/Doc/Askou/Nelson. LB = Drury/Whiggins.

Only now are we fully covered in all positions (we can afford to drop Otsemobor in the summer now). It also means that the weakest (missing!) link in Michael Nelson can now be only used in emergency.

[quote user="Yelloow Since 72"]

[/quote]I think Lambert would of recognised (and has gone on record as having done so) Spillanes form at right back prior to his injury. I fully expect to see Spillane ahead of Otsemobor in the pecking order by the time he has fully recovered. And considering the performances Spillane put in at centre back when compared to those he demonstrated at right back, i''d think it safe to say any incoming centre back will scarcely effect Spillanes position at the club.As a consequence, Zak Whitbreads arrival would leave me wondering about Otsemobors career at Norwich far more than that of Spillanes.

[quote user="Broadstairs Canary"]

It also means that the weakest (missing!) link in Michael Nelson can now be only used in emergency.[/quote]

Bit harsh on the guy.

Unsurprisingly after a run of games he''s looked a bit more settled. His City career may have got off to a bad start but he''s doing ok now.

I think the Doc is relatively safe on the right side of central defence and that really leaves it between Nelson, Askou and Whitbread to partner him. At the moment I don''t think Nelson is doing anything to suggest he''ll lose his place.But it''s nice to have cover and competition...

[quote user="Brendan"]What about Whitbread? Was He No.1 for Milwall?
[/quote]

No he was a defender. Don''t know the name of the goalkeeper.