Sign in to follow this  
InLambertWeTrust!

Defence sorted?

Could argue that we need a full time gk to replace Foster if we cant get him perm but hes here for the season at least so with that in mind:GK: Forster, Rudd, Steer (not including skippy). Cant complain with those 3.Rb: Otsemobor and Russell Martin Lb: Wiggins and DruryCB: Doherty, Whitbread, Nelson AskouNow I''m quite aware that I am telling you what you already know but when you look at the defensive squad, the defence looks very strong (albeit by league 1 standards). My back 5 starting line up would be:                         ForsterDrury Whitbread Doherty Martin.I think that back 5 COULD do a great job in the championship. What say you?

[quote user="Flashman"]Why retain our biggest weakness? Replace Doherty with Askou.[/quote]and one of our best players this season? for me would be askou and doc with whitbread as sub

It will be interesting to see where Lambert goes with his centre halves. I would assume Whitbread will end up first choice because he is the only natural left sided of the four. Which leaves Askou, Doherty and Nelson to fight for the other place. Doc''s in front of Nelly for me but we have never seen Askou play on the right side. It probably boils down to who looks like forging the best partnership.

Agree with Whitbread plus one.Although i''m a huge fan of Askou ... cant deny Doc is playing well.

[quote user="promotion chasing CT "]Could argue that we need a full time gk to replace Foster if we cant get him perm but hes here for the season at least so with that in mind:

GK: Forster, Rudd, Steer (not including skippy). Cant complain with those 3.

Rb: Otsemobor and Russell Martin

Lb: Wiggins and Drury

CB: Doherty, Whitbread, Nelson Askou

Now I''m quite aware that I am telling you what you already know but when you look at the defensive squad, the defence looks very strong (albeit by league 1 standards).

My back 5 starting line up would be:
                        Forster

Drury Whitbread Doherty Martin.

I think that back 5 COULD do a great job in the championship. What say you?
[/quote]

SPILLANE?

[quote user="Stevie Wonder"]

[quote user="promotion chasing CT "]Could argue that we need a full time gk to replace Foster if we cant get him perm but hes here for the season at least so with that in mind:

Now I''m quite aware that I am telling you what you already know but when you look at the defensive squad, the defence looks very strong (albeit by league 1 standards).

Forster

[/quote]

SPILLANE?

[/quote]

Cheap backup, no more than that.

Hard to see where his career is going to go really, while he''s here. He''s plenty old enough to be playing first team football now but it would seem Russell Martin has been brought in to be first choice right back.

[quote user="GJP"][quote user="Stevie Wonder"]

Forster

[/quote]

SPILLANE?

[/quote]

Cheap backup, no more than that.

Hard to see where his career is going to go really, while he''s here. He''s plenty old enough to be playing first team football now but it would seem Russell Martin has been brought in to be first choice right back.

[/quote]

Possibly but he was playing very well before his injury. I think he is a very useful player to have around and Lambert seems to like him, he obviously fits the young and hungry mould!

He had a couple of decent games at right back against very average sides. That''s about it.

I can''t see Spillane ever doing much. He''s ok to have for backup but I doubt there''s much more to come from him.

Look at him and Chris Martin. Chris Martin is in the first team because he''s cutting it at this level. Would Lambert have been so keen to bring Russell Martin in permanently and play him in the team if he thought Spillane was seriously going to make it?

[quote user="GJP"]

He had a couple of decent games at right back against very average sides. That''s about it.

I can''t see Spillane ever doing much. He''s ok to have for backup but I doubt there''s much more to come from him.

Look at him and Chris Martin. Chris Martin is in the first team because he''s cutting it at this level. Would Lambert have been so keen to bring Russell Martin in permanently and play him in the team if he thought Spillane was seriously going to make it?

[/quote]

Possibly, if he was considering offloading Semmy sooner rather than later...

have seen spillane many times, and in the game when he got injured he was absoloutely streaks ahead of semi, and was going forward well.

He hasn''t had the run Martin has since being out on loan to Luton.

Given a run, I think we would see a similar improvement.

[quote user="The Walking Man walking to Yeovil"][quote user="GJP"]

[/quote]

Possibly, if he was considering offloading Semmy sooner rather than later...

[/quote]

Indeed. We shall see.

I know Semmy has very few fans (if any??) but I doubt he''s thought of as badly by the management as he is by many of the fans. And I''m sure if he does leave he won''t have any trouble getting another club.

[quote user="65Vintage"]have seen spillane many times, and in the game when he got injured he was absoloutely streaks ahead of semi, and was going forward well. He hasn''t had the run Martin has since being out on loan to Luton. Given a run, I think we would see a similar improvement.[/quote]

To be fair we were playing Leyton Orient at home and they really were''t going to do a lot. Plus he got injured because he got done for pace and over-stretched trying to keep up.

He''s returned a better player after his loan trip to Luton but in a Norwich City team on the up I think he''s going to be spending a lot of time on the bench.

[quote user="GJP"]

[quote user="65Vintage"]have seen spillane many times, and in the game when he got injured he was absoloutely streaks ahead of semi, and was going forward well. He hasn''t had the run Martin has since being out on loan to Luton. Given a run, I think we would see a similar improvement.[/quote]

To be fair we were playing Leyton Orient at home and they really were''t going to do a lot. Plus he got injured because he got done for pace and over-stretched trying to keep up.

He''s returned a better player after his loan trip to Luton but in a Norwich City team on the up I think he''s going to be spending a lot of time on the bench.

[/quote]

Actually...it was Bristol Rovers he got injued against, I think. One of those two games anyway.

Drury at RB?! :-P

GJP I don''t get your points on Spillane - in 1 breath you''re saying he may have looked good, but it was against poor opposition and in the next breath you''re bigging up Chris Martin for cutting it at this level. From where I was sitting, Spillane was more than cutting it before he got injured, poor opposition or not.

[quote user="Salford City YELLOW"]Drury at RB?! :-P GJP I don''t get your points on Spillane - in 1 breath you''re saying he may have looked good, but it was against poor opposition and in the next breath you''re bigging up Chris Martin for cutting it at this level. From where I was sitting, Spillane was more than cutting it before he got injured, poor opposition or not.[/quote]

You''d agree that Chris Martin is currently what we''d call a "first choice" player, wouldn''t you? In that when everyone is fit you still expect Lambert to pick him.

Do you think Mickey Spillane would be a first choice player in the starting line up if he was fit?

I don''t think so.

(on a side note - it''s amusing that you''ve mentioned I''m "bigging up" Chris Martin because normally I get a bit of stick for not singing his praises)

I think it''s hard to say. Spillane''s injury came at a bad time for him, when it looked as though he may get a run in the team. Though I do not think this would have effected Russell Martins arrival, I do think if Spillane had been fully fit, Semmys pending exit would be sooner rather than later. In saying that, I wouldn''t mind seeing Semmy played at RM when we are defending a lead. Although the diamond has worked well so far, I feel that the full backs have no outlets and reverting to 4-4-2 to see games out may not be a bad idea. With Macnamee on the left and Semmy on the right we''d have bags of pace getting back and going forward. I''m by no means "anti diamond" but I would like to see players like Macnamee having a more active role on a match day so that none of the current team ethos is lost.