Sign in to follow this  
ricardo

Heavy Snow in Norwich

Its really started to come down heavily now and with a forecast of more overnight and tomorrow I very much doubt if we will be at Carrow Road this weekend. The pitch may be ok but road conditions will become terrible pretty quickly.

They say that the weather pattern is very much like 1963 when the FA cup third round took 66 days to complete. If thats so, then we may be in for a long footy-less break.

Somehow managed to get the train to the Office in Bosham (near Chichester) this morning, but it has been, and is, still snowing heavily and have decided to evacuate, so everyone is being sent home!

Never seen snow as heavy as this "down South" before-in Brancaster, particularly 1981, yes, here-no. Just been told that the local Sainsbury''s is clean out of bread and milk!

If trains not running, have a 15 mile walk home, not welcoming, but preferable to dossing down here!

Hope everyone is OK.

Its only Wed, it could all be gone by then [:)] but then maybe not looking at the forecast for Norwich for Friday.

Got a good covering in Dereham, but getting out of our road you take your life in your hands.

The A47 traffic is slow but moving freely.  And then there is the usual ''panic'' for break and milk in Morrisons. [:)]

[quote user="WeAreYellows49"]

Got a good covering in Dereham, but getting out of our road you take your life in your hands.

The A47 traffic is slow but moving freely.  And then there is the usual ''panic'' for break and milk in Morrisons. [:)]

[/quote]Our road coming out of Gressenhall is like an ice rink...i only have a moped until i get a car...wasn''t gonna get to college today im afraid! [:O]

[quote user="hogesar"][quote user="WeAreYellows49"]

[/quote]
Our road coming out of Gressenhall is like an ice rink...i only have a moped until i get a car...wasn''t gonna get to college today im afraid! [:O]
[/quote]

I can well believe it, before we moved here we lives in Brisley and that road was always the same, icy and untreated.

Best not risk going out, especially on 2 wheels, 4 is bad enough.

If the snow comes as forcast then I doubt there will be any football Saturday.

[quote user="WeAreYellows49"]

[/quote]

We paniced yesterday mate![;)]

[quote user="Gingerpele"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

It''s a bit early to panic Captain Mainwaring[;)]

But the heavy snow is forecast for Friday according to the trusted BEEB[st]

http://news.bbc.co.uk/weather/forecast/24

[/quote] Accuweather is better :P[/quote]

If Exeter team and fans have trouble to get here they may have to call it off .

[quote user="WeAreYellows49"][quote user="hogesar"][quote user="WeAreYellows49"]

[/quote]Our road coming out of Gressenhall is like an ice rink...i only have a moped until i get a car...wasn''t gonna get to college today im afraid! [:O][/quote]

I can well believe it, before we moved here we lives in Brisley and that road was always the same, icy and untreated.

[/quote]Honestly, I was out and about on my push bike in 6" of snow in Manchester yesterday!  It has much thinner wheels than any motor vehicle as well (32 mm).Sideways cycling is soo much fun.

[quote user="cityangel"]

Its only Wed, it could all be gone by then [:)] but then maybe not looking at the forecast for Norwich for Friday.

[/quote]

Fingers crossed!! If there''s quite a bit of snow around on Saturday, the game could be called off - regardless of the condition of the pitch - for the safety of spectators arriving and leaving the stadium as much as anything.

With the cold weather expected to last for another 10 days, I wouldn''t be surprised if our next 3 games are all called off.

Exeter this Saturday is the one I think will most likely be on, Exeter players will fly I assume, so that will just leave the fans. Walsall, not much chance of that being on in my opinion, and Col U looks pretty doubtful to me too.

[quote user="7rew"][quote user="WeAreYellows49"][quote user="hogesar"][quote user="WeAreYellows49"]

[/quote]
Our road coming out of Gressenhall is like an ice rink...i only have a moped until i get a car...wasn''t gonna get to college today im afraid! [:O]
[/quote]

[/quote]

Honestly, I was out and about on my push bike in 6" of snow in Manchester yesterday!  It has much thinner wheels than any motor vehicle as well (32 mm).

Sideways cycling is soo much fun.
[/quote]

Like speedway then, but on ice [:D]

[quote user="7rew"][quote user="WeAreYellows49"][quote user="hogesar"][quote user="WeAreYellows49"]

[/quote]
[/quote]

[/quote]

Honestly, I was out and about on my push bike in 6" of snow in Manchester yesterday!  It has much thinner wheels than any motor vehicle as well (32 mm).

Sideways cycling is soo much fun.
[/quote]

Thinner wheels are better in the snow [^o)] .

[quote user="First Wizard"][quote user="WeAreYellows49"]

[/quote]

We paniced yesterday mate![;)]

[/quote]

Got most of our stuff then too, just popped to Morrisons for 4 more pints of milk and some fresher bread and we are set until the weekend, freezer is stocked up - check, cupboards full to bursting - check, rice and pasta - check, powdered milk, just in case - check........

That''s what comes for living in a village in the middle of nowhere for ages, we are very prepared should the worst happen.

Looks like this winter you folks are sharing the winter conditions we accept as the norm. However, I must say I was watching closely to make sure the latest snow storm we were having in the north-east area of the US did not reach me. It did not thankfully. In one fall it dumped 33 inches of snow in the state of Vermont. Guess what the name was of the small community receiving the largest amount....Colchester.  Sounds like someone up above has been briefed on the name to apply the big chill to. They just need geographic training to get it right. 

Could the location of the ground play a part?

Manchesters ground correct me if I''m wrong is right in the city centre so more chance of accidents outside the ground, whereas Norwich''s is a little bit further out of town so we might be ok.

I noticed Stoke''s game went ahead last night, and Norwich''s and Stoke''s grounds are very similar in terms of the area they are located.

We should be ok, but must prepare that we might not have a game this weekend.

[quote user="YankeeCanary"]

Looks like this winter you folks are sharing the winter conditions we accept as the norm. However, I must say I was watching closely to make sure the latest snow storm we were having in the north-east area of the US did not reach me. It did not thankfully. In one fall it dumped 33 inches of snow in the state of Vermont. Guess what the name was of the small community receiving the largest amount....Colchester.  Sounds like someone up above has been briefed on the name to apply the big chill to. They just need geographic training to get it right. 

[/quote] LOL! That kinda sums us up really! 33 inches in one fall in US and here everything comes to a stop over a few inches! We prob get the wrong kind of snow!!

[quote user="Norfolk Lutonian "]

Manchesters ground correct me if I''m wrong is right in the city centre so more chance of accidents outside the ground, whereas Norwich''s is a little bit further out of town so we might be ok.[/quote]

Not really, Eastlands is probably further away from the City Centre and has much better access.  I think it was called off based purely on the state of affairs yesterday, which were pretty bad up here.  Its stopped snowing now and the main danger is frozen and compacted snow, but the main roads are clear and in hindsight the game could probably have gone ahead with little incident.  It think it was just the clubs and council trying to be proactive, which is fair enough.Did have a wee chuckle at the comments about people panic-buying bread and milk, though... you Southern softies don''t half struggle with this kind of thing, don''t you? [:P] (puts tin hat on) [;)]

[quote user="Yellow Rose of Texas"]Send some bicycles to Exeter then ? How many will they need ?[/quote]

About 3.One of them a tandem to be on the safe side!

[quote user="Evil Monkey"][quote user="Norfolk Lutonian "]

Manchesters ground correct me if I''m wrong is right in the city centre so more chance of accidents outside the ground, whereas Norwich''s is a little bit further out of town so we might be ok.[/quote]

Not really, Eastlands is probably further away from the City Centre and has much better access.  I think it was called off based purely on the state of affairs yesterday, which were pretty bad up here.  Its stopped snowing now and the main danger is frozen and compacted snow, but the main roads are clear and in hindsight the game could probably have gone ahead with little incident.  It think it was just the clubs and council trying to be proactive, which is fair enough.Did have a wee chuckle at the comments about people panic-buying bread and milk, though... you Southern softies don''t half struggle with this kind of thing, don''t you? [:P] (puts tin hat on) [;)][/quote]Still better than being a Nothern Monkey! [;)]

[quote user="Clipped Canary"][quote user="Evil Monkey"][quote user="Norfolk Lutonian "]

Not really, Eastlands is probably further away from the City Centre and has much better access.  I think it was called off based purely on the state of affairs yesterday, which were pretty bad up here.  Its stopped snowing now and the main danger is frozen and compacted snow, but the main roads are clear and in hindsight the game could probably have gone ahead with little incident.  It think it was just the clubs and council trying to be proactive, which is fair enough.Did have a wee chuckle at the comments about people panic-buying bread and milk, though... you Southern softies don''t half struggle with this kind of thing, don''t you? [:P] (puts tin hat on) [;)][/quote]Still better than being a Nothern Monkey! [;)][/quote]*Northern* [:$]

[quote user="Clipped Canary"]

Still better than being a Nothern Monkey! [;)]
[/quote]

Or even a Northern one........[;)]