Sign in to follow this  
Northern Canary

Line up and predictions for the Spurs match?

What are you expecting for the match on Sat? and what line ups would you use?

Greeno

Eddie   Fleming   Charlton   Drury

Bentley  Francis  Mulryne/Safri
                                        Huckerby

Jonson   Mckenzie

Subs: McVeigh, mulryne/safri, Helveg, Doherty, Ward

Thats assuming that Francis and Mullers are fit for the match.

I think we could manage a 2-1 win but i feel its more likely to be 1-1.

I wouldnt play doherty as i feel the main threat is Defoe, not the biggest of players and probably too agile for Doc.

Thoughts....? 

I think I''d go for:

Greeno

Eddy  Flem  Doc Charlton

Bents  Safri Francis* Hucks

Leon Jonson

* = if Franny isn''t fit I''d probably play Mullers

Can''t see us getting anything from this one though

OMG!

One bad result against Chelsea and we are changing tactics & players.  Last week the 4-5-1 formation was the best thing since sliced bread.

Personally I couldn''t ever justify playing Hux on the left.  He gets doubled up on and is far less threatening. 

A tactical change could be needed as Leon can not play the lead man like Sven did against Bolton. However we have to stick with the 4-2-3-1 that did so much to secure us those three points.

The only area of the pitch that needs tightening up is the defence. 32 goals in 18 league gamnes, no clean sheet since WBA in mid Oct in a run of 11 games that comprises of our relegation competitors yet conceeded 20 goals. That is not just bad but relegation defending. Flem is shocking at the moment and should be dropped, Eddie Does was Eddie Does - run around heaadlessly, bless ''im, but forgets that he should actually defend - they are the Holt and Leon of our defence. Its too soon to drop the doc but I am not convinced he is good enough either. Charlie should go back of the middle to partner Doc, Drury back at left back and Helveg at right back if Damo is fit/mentally ready to play. If we keep Laurel and Hardy in the side I cant see us keeping a clean sheet before the West Ham game and probably long after that too.

In midfield the deep pair should be Damo and Safri (the latter is also not up to it) sitting in front of McVeigh, Bentley and Huckerby. If Damo is not fit Helveg keeps his place. My preference remains Helveg and Francis but Safri in the middle and Helveg right back is by far better than keeping Eddie in the starting 11. I agree Hux is wasted on the left and this formation does give him more space and gives us midfielders who can expolit any space left when Hux is double marked. Jonson to lead the line as there is no alternative...

Or we could go 4-4-2. Sorry, having thought about it, no, we can''t; if Damo is injured we simply do not have the quality of central midfield to do the job we need. Safri Helveg? Like Mullers Helveg against Fulham there isnt enough energy to support the strikers in this pairing - the same for Mullers Safri - an abomination of a partnership waiting to be tried. Bentley in central midfield might work but would nullify his threat going forward and leave us a little lightweight in midfield, Hendo, McVeigh or Jonson are not options. We could play Shackell (isnt that what you were told Susie b??) there but there are no further options although Worthy could surprise us with another player out of position - maybe Ward or Jarvis!.

We simply have to start with a 4-2-3-1 (or 4-5-1) reverting to 4-4-2 simply wont give us the threat we need to win a game.

My prediction? 1-1 if we go 4-2-3-1; 0-2 if we go 4-4-2.

OTBC

Green                            

Edworthy                         Doherty                              Fleming                         Charlton

Helveg                         Francis                      Bentley

Huckerby

McKenzie                        Jonson

There is absolutely no point in being defensive at home. When we play at our ''attacking'' best, we''re capable of causing almost any team in this division problems, definitely Tottenham. There is enough mobility and intelligence in that midfield for us not to be dominated in the centre of the park, so lets take a chance. Yes, Spurs are playing well at the moment, but it''s against teams like Spurs where we have a decent chance.

It is imperitive Huckerby is given a free role to do whatever he wishes, he should have license to go wherever he wants; right, left, through the middle...as long as he is causing the Spurs team to think and not know where he is going to pop up next, then we''ll do well. Huckerby is not being played ''left-ish'' at all, he''s been playing left wing, and he''s suffering as a result. Too much tracking back. Whenever Huckerby gets the ball at present, not only does he have to get past the right midfielder but the right back also, and sometimes even a central midfielder comes across.

It is vitally important that we have great movement; McKenzie will run all day, Jonson should interchange with Bentley and Huckerby regularly, Francis will get forward as usual...we need to be buzzing. Two-touch football where possible, k

Two superb posts from Zipper and Campbell.  From the two I would personally go for Zippers tactics but both great with lots of details.

I agree with both though that Jonson should have a go up front.  I said about a month ago when there was lots of talk about what striker we should buy that we should try what we already have.  Have you seen his strike-rate as a forward?  I know it''s in Scandanavia but it''s still impressive and he must have an eye for a goal!

Now''s the time to really re-visit that defence - ZLF has been almost alone on his views re eddy and to a lesser extenbt Flem this season - the latter has to be rested imo: too much glaring, shouting abuse at others (saw bentley get the lash only 10-15 mins into the game on Sat) and maybe Drury will be fired up after his "rest" now and can replace him (Charley moving to partner Doc). Worthy will only make 1 change at a time in the back 4 though so Eddy will stay.

There''s been a lot of Boxing Day repeat wishes on here, so hopefully it''ll be Francis returning, to replace Mackenzie, allowing Jonsson up front - he will lead the line more constructively imo for all the fantastic endeavour and effort Leon puts in, it''s not a role he''s suited to.

My preference as a result is:

Green

Eddy    Doc    Charlton    Drury

Helveg    Francis   Safri

Bentley

Green

Helveg

Doherty

Fleming

Charlton

Jonsson

Francis (If Fit)

Bentley

Safri

Huckerby

McKenzie

play 4-5-1 and I predict a score draw.

Zippers not been alone, I think Eddy has been terrible too, Drury not much better and Flem not far behind Drury.  The Doc apart from a couple of mistakes has been okay and Charlton is superb the majority of the time.   Shackell has impressed every time he has played and Helveg should re-visit the right back position.   Nobody on here has actually explained what Helveg did wrong against Palace and United, everyone just keep saying he hasn''t impressed.  I thought he was no worse in both games than Eddy has ever been.

As other have said there is little chance that Worthy will change more than 1 defender at a time, but lets say he does:

Green

Helveg        Doc         Shackell       Charlton

Mullers

Bentley       Francis        Safri        Hux

Jonson

I would love to see that team tried maybe Hux with more of a free role telling Safri and Mullers to cover him when he switches and drives forward.   As before though the chances of the defence taking that shape are very slim, so either of Zippers or Campbells ideas are good with me.   Jonsson should be given a crack upfront soon.

I would go with:

Green

Ed     Flem   Doc    Charlton

Bentley  Francis Safri  Hucks

Jonsson   McKensie

Just hope and pray Fran is fit.....  Score - if Fran is playing we will sneak a 1 nil win - if not then a nil nil or 1-1 draw     

WE should I feel stick to the Bolton line up, (no Sven, naturally), that played so well then and also played well against Chelsea except for a couple of moments of madness.

This team has a solid and purposeful look about it and one or two of the players will have learned much and benefitted from the Chelsea experience.

Continuity is now our main hope I feel, changes based on single games would be unwise. I M V H O

I think Gorleston''s spot on with the team selection,those players who gifted the goals know better than us who was responsible should be given the chance to make amends

4-5-1 worked great. I think Stevenage fan has got it absolutley spot on again. I dont usually post on these ''what tactics would you play'' threads but I hope worthy sees this line up too and goes with it!

Nice work!

I think with Sven injured and possible returns from Francis and mullers we should try and go on something like the line up we used against Soton but with Jonson replacing Sven. No need for Doc as he is not too agile and theres no point in height when you`re up against Defoe