Sign in to follow this  
Butterbean_Canary

Player Rationg Please....

Everyone about 6.5.3-1 flattered us a little today, we looked very much off the pace and made hard work of things.Still, if we can play crap and still win....

[quote user="morty"]Everyone about 6.5.

3-1 flattered us a little today, we looked very much off the pace and made hard work of things.

Still, if we can play crap and still win....
[/quote]

Probably fair. Doc didn''t do too much wrong, Drury was solid and Korey and Lappin worked hard but no-one really stood out for me.The front three will ceratinly have better games, despite the goals.

Thought we looked a bit lethargic today. 6.5 all round would be about right.

An awful lot of  " nearly" balls which didn`t quite come off.

Maybe if we had scored a the first bit later then some urgency would have been injected...but, Hey it`s another three points and Holty now has 22 ...so it can`t all be bad

A strange game,  when we went forward we looked like we could score when we wanted;  good movement passing etc;  however the whole team suffered a case of over elaboration so made the job harder for ourselves.

Defensively the team were let down by the midfield.  They sat far deeper than we have seen all season and showed far less energy;  Katie next to me said its like watching a roeder midfield - and she was not far wrong.  The whole negative aspect of today performance is that we did not close them down fast enough nor put in enough tackles to win the ball back.   Their danger was through tehir number 4 and 11; in the first every bit of their danger involved that pair and not once did our russell step forward to restrict the number 4s space.  As I said once we had the ball we could hurt them.

Forster  8 my motm  2 excellent saves in the first half kept us in the lead, and some fine save in the second too.  Proving to be an excellent signing and my underrated player of the season

Martin 6  Left exposed by his midfield more than most as the 11 was given time and space to exploit;  Struggled today but remained positionally solid

Doc 7 In control and rarely under threat

Nelson 6 Does what he does,  a pure stopper

Drury 7 Defensively solid again,  did not get forward as well as he has this season

Smith 5 Below par today,  esp in the first half

Rusty 5 looked like he expected an easy day - sat v deep and allowed them to dictate the central area too often. Disappointing but allowed an off day given his performances so far this season

Lappin 6 Same low energy defensive game as  his midfield colleagues but the quality of his ball in was better

Martin 7 Most consistent striker today;  good movement and our best player first half;  deserved his goal and like he played in the hole in a more traditional diamond once Oli came on;  can see him doing well there

Holt - 7 Energy as usual but thought he was really off the ball first half but two goals and an assist tells its own story.

Hoolahan 7.  Lack of support from the middle restricted his options and so he seemed to dally and lost possession more than usual.  2 superb assists that no one else at the club could have delivered today

Johnson 7 Taller than I thought tells me why we bought him, Gave the crowd a lift with some good ball skills;  just hope his reminding me of Akibiyis debut does not persist through the rest of his career.

Pretty much agree with the 6.5 in general idea, Holt deserves at least 7.5 for scoring twice as it is his main job and Russell deserves a 5 imo. Sat way to deep all game and didnt seem to get at players like he usually does, allowing them alot of space to pass it around the edge of the area.

I thought we had some good attacking play at times which was only let down by trying one pass too many instead of having a shot, most of the problems Exeter caused us were brought on by our own sloppy defending which seemed to spread through the back four like a rash at times. Exeter had a couple of good spells at the end of the first half and midway through the second but even though we were far from convincing I thought we still did enough to merit the 3 points. 6.5 for most players seems about right but I''d give Wes and Holty a 7 and martin a 6.