Sign in to follow this  
Jim Smith

Lets not get too carried away yet

Yes its possible that we could catch Leeds (although unlikely in my view) but I think talk of doing so is getting somewhat ahead of ourselves. Personally I will take second and, although it may be ridiculous to say this after our recent run, I am still not totally convinced that the level of our current performances is good enough for us to get it. Although yesterday you always felt we had another gear if necessary, I remain concerned that we still only play in patches in games and give average teams far too many chances. They don''t tend to take them as they don''t have the strikers but any team with half decent strikers would have scored 2 or 3 goals against us yesterday and at times in the second half their midfield was running rings around us. If Wycombe could shoot they might also have had a couple last week and with the 3 Yeovil got and the first half performance against Huddersfield I still think we have a lot of work to do.

Lambert has done a remarkable job but we should not get carried away. If we play like we did yesterday against Colchester we will probably lose. Wallsall away (if it happens) will not be easy and Millwall and Brighton away at the start of Feb are also tough games. I guess the hope is that with the bigger games the players will be more focused and less complacent but if our midfield drops deep like they did at times yesterday or the defence continues allow opposition players to stand unmarkd in our penalty area then sooner or later we will get punished and we may not be able to get ourselves out of jail as we have done on a few occasions recently. Hopefully Whitbread or the return of Askou will help tighten things up at the back but Martin (R) also needs to cut out his current habit of one good game, one bad game which he seems to have developed at the moment. Unusually he seems to be better away than at home!

Last week we completely dominated Wycombe in the second half. In the first half it was pretty even and they had a number of sitiuations where better teams might have scored because they either took the wrong decision or their shooting was poor. I accept we will normally have enough about us to get out of jail as most teams cannot cope with Holt, Hoolahan and Martin but my point was that when we play away at Col U and Millwall in the next couple of weeks we will get punished if we turn in the same sort of display as we did yesterday and sooner or later the front 3 will not get us out of it!

[quote user="Jim Smith"]

Yes its possible that we could catch Leeds (although unlikely in my view) but I think talk of doing so is getting somewhat ahead of ourselves. Personally I will take second and, although it may be ridiculous to say this after our recent run, I am still not totally convinced that the level of our current performances is good enough for us to get it. Although yesterday you always felt we had another gear if necessary, I remain concerned that we still only play in patches in games and give average teams far too many chances. They don''t tend to take them as they don''t have the strikers but any team with half decent strikers would have scored 2 or 3 goals against us yesterday and at times in the second half their midfield was running rings around us. If Wycombe could shoot they might also have had a couple last week and with the 3 Yeovil got and the first half performance against Huddersfield I still think we have a lot of work to do.

Lambert has done a remarkable job but we should not get carried away. If we play like we did yesterday against Colchester we will probably lose. Wallsall away (if it happens) will not be easy and Millwall and Brighton away at the start of Feb are also tough games. I guess the hope is that with the bigger games the players will be more focused and less complacent but if our midfield drops deep like they did at times yesterday or the defence continues allow opposition players to stand unmarkd in our penalty area then sooner or later we will get punished and we may not be able to get ourselves out of jail as we have done on a few occasions recently. Hopefully Whitbread or the return of Askou will help tighten things up at the back but Martin (R) also needs to cut out his current habit of one good game, one bad game which he seems to have developed at the moment. Unusually he seems to be better away than at home!

[/quote]I agree with your points JS, as we''re only just over halfway through the season. From what I''ve seen from the posts on other Leeds related threads, I think that it is Leeds fans who are getting more carried away. Spainboy constantly says that Leeds will win the title (and I think that they probably will) when it is still possible (although very unlikely) for them to finish outside the play-offs. I agree that it will be unlikely for us to catch Leeds, but it is far too early for fans of any club to get confident about the title/promotion as we all know what can happen

Good observations, Jim.

For me Leeds are doing well on the basis of good defence while we are lacking there and with the players Lambert found himself with we are attack orientated and are undoubtedly the most attractive attacking unit in the league.

I also think we allow teams to come onto us, fine if we don''t drop too deep and then hit them on the break with through running strikers.

Lambert is building other options but hasn''t needed them.....yet!