Sign in to follow this  
singing canary

i dont understand..

[quote user="singing canary"]he got relegated with a team of players who did not want to be here ,did not belong to us .roeders loan flops.[/quote]So his motivational skills were lacking, his tactical skills were terrible and he failed entirely.Yeah, you''re right, he was a great manager.

[quote user="JTG"]Unfortunately Gunn was one of the worst (if not THE worst) manager in our club''s history.

We all wanted him to succeed when he took over from Roeder even though we all knew at the time that this was a crazy appointment given our position. He promptly took us in to the relegation zone and down to the third tier of English football for the first time in 50 years. I did not like him for this.

But I now pretty much hate the bloke for applying for, pretty much begging for the job for the new season. Obviously I am angry with the board as it was at that time for the inexplicable appointment. Thank God for McNally!
[/quote]

These are the sort of unfounded comments that perpetuate the myth. You seem to be implying that the board almost felt sorry for him. There were other (much better) candiates for the job. The board took the Gunn option, based on what I''m not really sure, certainly not fan pressure.

Why can''t we move on from this.

[quote user="singing canary"]he got relegated with a team of players who did not want to be here ,did not belong to us .roeders loan flops.[/quote]Hah! I see. So were discounting the 8 loan players he brought in in January then?(How many bloody times are we going to discuss this!?) [url=http://www.mysmiley.net/free-tongue-smileys.php][img]http://www.mysmiley.net/imgs/smile/mad/mad0090.gif[/img][/url]

[quote user="singing canary"]wigan ..? crystal palca ,exeter away..?[/quote]I assume you meant Yeovil away.Oh and friendlies don''t count. Any fool can make a team play well in a pre-season game where there is no pressure or interest.And please remind me how many loan players he signed last January? Roeder might have been guilty of it to start with but Gunn was quite happy to carry it on, signing players who barely even got on as a sub.A proper mananger would have kept us up, end of.

[quote user="singing canary"]holt . askou, hughes, decided to keep martin . how many up untill recently have been lamberts signings..??[/quote]#For the 75th million time, he was a half decent scout, nothing more.The real skill of a manager is motivating players and getting tactics right.

i have and im pleased our team is doing well . i just fed up with almost every day someone is giving gunn such a hard time consideriing how he was treated and what he has done for this club .

you cant make poor players good , especially poor quality loan players .

[quote user="singing canary"]i have and im pleased our team is doing well . i just fed up with almost every day someone is giving gunn such a hard time consideriing how he was treated and what he has done for this club .

you cant make poor players good , especially poor quality loan players .[/quote]YOU are the one who started the thread, I haven''t heard his name mentioned on this message board in weeks lol.

[quote user="singing canary"]the damage had been done considering the rest of the team we had was full of loan players .[/quote]I give up lol.

[quote user="singing canary"]its mentioned every day . how bad gunn was .

our worst mistake of the decade for one example .[/quote]Debate the point with yourself, you are clearly unable to listen to reasoned facts.

[quote user="morty"][quote user="singing canary"]holt . askou, hughes, decided to keep martin . how many up untill recently have been lamberts signings..??[/quote]#For the 75th million time, he was a half decent scout, nothing more.The real skill of a manager is motivating players and getting tactics right.

[/quote]Can''t say i agree on that. As far as i''m concerned John Deehan takes credibility for most of the successes (and responsibility for most of the failiures) in that department.He was a very decent scout, and Birmingham thought highly enough of him not to want to let him go. I find it far more comprehendible that Deehan was accountable for our activity in the transfer market in the summer rather than Gunn.

[quote user="singing canary"]my point is . the constant grief and how people talk about gunn .

its wrong . if you dont like the post dont answer.

i feel the guy deserves a bit more respect than the constant slagging off the man seems to get . he was hardly given a fair chance and has taken the flak for other managers cock-ups as well .people seem to forget he was sacked after a 4-0 away win , how does that make him a crap manager.[/quote]

I couldn''t agree more with you. I too have been mystified by the unpleasantness directed at Gunn time and time again on this MB. I often read the silly claim that Gunn got us relegated. The club was like a stricken oil tanker heading for the rocks when Gunn took over, there was little chance of avoiding the inevitable. Gunn inherited a hopeless situation but during the summer he cleared out the wannaways, brought in some excellent players and created an excellent squad. the pre-season campaign was the most successful i can remember. Then Colchester United happened. Full house full of expectation, l''il ole Colchester (we all thought here for the slaughter - look where they are now) and Theoklitis - Gunn''s only mistake IMO. One heavy defeat and the McPowers that be seized the opportunity of getting rid of Gunn despite an excellent 4 to zero victory away at Yeovil only a few days later when I witnessed some of the best attacking football from Norwich in years with Hoolahan, Hughes (Gunn acquisition) and Holt (Gunn acquisition) exceptional. Holt of course scoring a hatrick. None of us can prove either way whether or not Gunn would have been a good manager with his own players because he was robbed of that chance but in my opinion he would have done. Enter Lambert who has undeniably done a great job and of course I support him totally. However, the "adulation" he receives from many posters on here does get up my nose. I read yesterday one poster saying "well of course Lambo is the master of man management and it''s him who has got the best out of Holt" ! What botox. It was Gunn who bravely (at the time) spent the bulk of his budget on Holt, it was Gunn who had the vision to realise that Holt would be the next Norwich striker legend and under Gunn Holt had already started to perform. Holt, benefitting from the support of Hoolahan (a man dropped by Lambert for vital matches and a player that Gunn had refused to sell and so made a tartan enemy) scored a scintillating hatrick in 45 2nd half minutes away at Yeovil. Support Lambert by all means, as I do myself, but please stop the rot spewed out on a daily basis about Gunn. it''s ill-informed, misguided, follow the herd, vacuous nonsense. The king is dead long live the king.

[quote user="Big Bad John"][quote user="morty"][quote user="singing canary"]holt . askou, hughes, decided to keep martin . how many up untill recently have been lamberts signings..??[/quote]#For the 75th million time, he was a half decent scout, nothing more.The real skill of a manager is motivating players and getting tactics right.

[/quote]Can''t say i agree on that. As far as i''m concerned John Deehan takes credibility for most of the successes (and responsibility for most of the failiures) in that department.He was a very decent scout, and Birmingham thought highly enough of him not to want to let him go. I find it far more comprehendible that Deehan was accountable for our activity in the transfer market in the summer rather than Gunn.[/quote]I agree, my point was more to illustrate the fact that Bryan Gunn wasn''t (and still isn''t) a football manager.

[quote user="Norfolk Lutonian "]

[quote user="singing canary"]so in the postion we are in now ... how many players has lambert singned for us to be there ..? none ... so was gunn that bad..?[/quote]

Yes he was unfortunately.

Lets see:

Forster - Lamberts first signing?

Martin - Lots better than Otsemobor (who wasn''t signed by Gunn anyway)Askou - Gunns signingDoherty - Signed by Worthington in Premiership seasonDrury - Signed by Worthington before the Playoff season

Russell - Bought back to Carrow Road by GrantSmith - Product of the Youth AcademyLappin - Bought by Grant

Hoolahan - Bought by RoederMartin - Product of the Youth AcademyHolt - Gunns Signing

I make that 2 players who were signed by Gunn who are in the starting XI so please explain to me how this is ''Gunn''s team - that he picked and signed''

Equally look at Gunn''s other dealings in the summer:

McVeigh - FlopOTJ - FlopGill - FlopWiggins - Never playsTheoklitos - FlopWhaley - FlopGoran Maric - who? Alnwick - who was useless! Nelson - OK but not the best

Think I''ve covered everyone there have I?

The above is the definitive answer as to why you are talking b*ll*cks and what a good job Lambert has done in changing the fortunes of Norwich City Football Club.  

[/quote]POTD!

[quote user="Graham Humphrey"][quote user="singing canary"]wigan ..? crystal palca ,exeter away..?[/quote]I assume you meant Yeovil away.Oh and friendlies don''t count. Any fool can make a team play well in a pre-season game where there is no pressure or interest.And please remind me how many loan players he signed last January? Roeder might have been guilty of it to start with but Gunn was quite happy to carry it on, signing players who barely even got on as a sub.A proper mananger would have kept us up, end of.[/quote]It is worth remembering that, despite the scoreline we didn''t perform brilliantly in that game (first half we looked blunt, and scarcely able to compete). Yeovil we''re getting a fair few chances, and the last thing we looked like doing was scoring a goal.The only reason we managed such a result was thanks to a penalty that opened the floodgates at about 55 minutes into the game. After that, the players had gone in to their own, and looked comfortable (and given previous performances, i''d have a hard time believing Gunns ''tactical nous'' brought about that performance, more the result prior to it had a knock on effect on the players to try and get a credible result for once).

[quote user="morty"][quote user="Big Bad John"][quote user="morty"][quote user="singing canary"]holt . askou, hughes, decided to keep martin . how many up untill recently have been lamberts signings..??[/quote]#For the 75th million time, he was a half decent scout, nothing more.The real skill of a manager is motivating players and getting tactics right.

[/quote]Can''t say i agree on that. As far as i''m concerned John Deehan takes credibility for most of the successes (and responsibility for most of the failiures) in that department.He was a very decent scout, and Birmingham thought highly enough of him not to want to let him go. I find it far more comprehendible that Deehan was accountable for our activity in the transfer market in the summer rather than Gunn.[/quote]I agree, my point was more to illustrate the fact that Bryan Gunn wasn''t (and still isn''t) a football manager.[/quote]Indeed, i''d certainly agree with that. [Y]

[quote user="singing canary"]its mentioned every day . how bad gunn was .

our worst mistake of the decade for one example .[/quote]Given we signed someone utterly incompetent, and completely incapable of fulfilling any of the duties in his role at the club, i would not be far stretched to agree with that.

Gunn took over a poisoned chalice last season which established managers wouldn''t touch with a brage pole cause the board would only give a contract till the end of the season. Boothroyd would of come to Norwich had he of been given a long term contract. 1st mistake of the former board.

2nd mistake was appointing him before when they knew they''d be a new CE and other new board members coming in. The new manager should of been appointed with consultation with Mcnally and the other 2 new board members!

I won''t criticise Gunn cause he was a victim of being in the wrong place at the wrong time with a badly performing board. Gunn given his love for the club was never going to say no to the job. Remember also that if the board would of appointed a decent manger instead of the hopeless Grant and Roeder, Gunn would never of been considered and would now still be happily working away at the club!

Very harsh decision on Gunn at the start of the season but hes not in Lamberts League and in Lambert we''ve got our 1st proper manager since Worthington!

[quote user="singing canary"]he lost one game with the team he put together including pre-season games .

that loss cost him his job .[/quote]Yes, thats right, it was all about just losing one game.[:)]

[quote user="singing canary"]he lost one game with the team he put together including pre-season games .

that loss cost him his job .[/quote]"The straw that broke the camel''s back"

[quote user="Big Bad John"][quote user="singing canary"]he lost one game with the team he put together including pre-season games .

that loss cost him his job .[/quote]"The straw that broke the camel''s back"[/quote]Exactly!!!The culmanation of poor decision making and piss poor preperation over the summer!

morty how can it be poor decision when we beat better teams than us in pre-season .

when was the last time we beat crystal palace away ..?

or would you have thought we stood a chance against wigan with the team we went down with .

our success is down to the team and yes the management but lambert has not had to make many big changes .

gunn done the right thing by dropping the keeper for the next game .

what else could he have done ..?

Pre-season does not matter! It''s totally irrelevant other than for players getting fit and getting used to playing together. The results made no difference and especially get forgotten if you go and get smashed 7-1 at home in your opening game. Which in itself suggests that the preperation for the season was nowhere near adequate.

[quote user="singing canary"]morty how can it be poor decision when we beat better teams than us in pre-season .

when was the last time we beat crystal palace away ..?

or would you have thought we stood a chance against wigan with the team we went down with .

our success is down to the team and yes the management but lambert has not had to make many big changes .

gunn done the right thing by dropping the keeper for the next game .

what else could he have done ..?[/quote]Pre season means precisely nothing!!!! How many league points did we get for beating Palace exactly?