Sign in to follow this  
singing canary

i dont understand..

why so many of you (and much as i respect your thoughts).. give gunny a hard time .

lets look at the facts .

gunn took over half way through last season with no player budget and was on a hidding to nothing .

he bought players in like askou , holt , keeped hold of hoolihan brought back martin . though season friendlies we did not lose a game infact we looked good . i must admit the colchester game shocked me , i thought theo was poor.

but then we went and won 4-0 away from home and gunn was sacked..!!

lambert has taken all the credit and gunn is a waste of space .

lambert is a far better than gunn i will admit , but what gets me is thew stick gunn still gets when through him and hid ideas we have got better players than we had through roeder.

he was a legend here and as much as you lot slate him as a manager he found something that city have lacked for ages since earnshaw left ... a proven striker .

roeder killed this club and gunn has taken the stick .

im my eyes he is still a canary legend and without his signings we may not be where we are today .

i know im about to get stick for this post but to be honest im not bothered.

why ... if it was not for gunn we would not have the players who got us here .

lambert is a great manager ,and im pleased he is here . but give gunny some credit as im fed up with hearing how crap he was . he had one bad result after he put the team together he wanted and it cost him and his career .

im ready for the abuse..!!!

oh no - not this again!

why do some people feel the need to dig this up again?

You and we have to accept Gunn failed and miserably and the former board members who re-employed him their gamble didn''t pay off. McNally had some balls and got rid.

We currently sit in 2nd place, have a healthy looking squad and a ''manager'' in charge, why (for want of a better word) dig up Gunn again?

Sweet Jesus, where do I start?Okay, firstly, Gunn''s commitment to Norwich is without question.He was a half, no maybe quarter way decent scout but he was no manager. He had doubts himself if he was really up for the job but the board at the time thought his status within the club would see us through (wrongo!!!)He was stupid to think he could have managed the job, the inept board thought they could do it on the cheap and it backfired spectacularly.I can''t be arsed to look but how many of his signings, as a percentage, are now first team regulars?Wrong man for the job, full stop. You only have to see the difference under a proper manager since he went to realise Gunny''s shortcomings.

because everyone think lambert is god . no one gave gunn a chance .

holt is gunns signing .gunn was kicking off about keeping hoolihan . and gave martin another contract and chance.

look at the tree of them now , thay was not lamberts choice ..it was gunns .

all im saying is everyone is thinking lambert is god . its not the team he picked or signed .

it was gunn .

[quote user="singing canary"]because everyone think lambert is god . no one gave gunn a chance .

holt is gunns signing .gunn was kicking off about keeping hoolihan . and gave martin another contract and chance.

look at the tree of them now , thay was not lamberts choice ..it was gunns .

all im saying is everyone is thinking lambert is god . its not the team he picked or signed .

it was gunn .[/quote]I put it to you, that you are talking utter bollocks.Are you actually Gunny?

agreed 100 percent . lambert is a better manager ,and knows how to get the best from the players but ... as much as everyone is not going to like it , lambert has got there with a team made by gunn .

[quote user="singing canary"]agreed 100 percent . lambert is a better manager ,and knows how to get the best from the players but ... as much as everyone is not going to like it , lambert has got there with a team made by gunn .[/quote]Lambert is a better manager, your words.Argument over.Just in case you want to carry it on though, find me stats on players who Gunn signed who are first team regulars now please.

That''s for want of a better word again B***0cks.

Gunn is not picking the team at the moment, he is not motivating the players to a 7-1 loss against Colchester at home (thank god)

Holt may of been Gunn''s signing, but he didn''t sign Hoolahan or Martin. Gunn couldn''t see Hoolahans best position and Lambert could (just behind the front two in case your unsure)

Everyone thinks Lambert is a good manager who has taken Norwich to 2nd in 4 months, it is his team because he picks it each week and he works with the players everyday, to say it''s not his team is actually in insult!

[quote user="singing canary"]so in the postion we are in now ... how many players has lambert singned for us to be there ..?

none ... so was gunn that bad..?[/quote]Yes, he was fucking awful, check his stats.Seriously, are you Gunny?

[quote user="singing canary"]so in the postion we are in now ... how many players has lambert singned for us to be there ..? none ... so was gunn that bad..?[/quote]

Yes he was unfortunately.

Lets see:

Forster - Lamberts first signing?

Martin - Lots better than Otsemobor (who wasn''t signed by Gunn anyway)
Askou - Gunns signing
Doherty - Signed by Worthington in Premiership season
Drury - Signed by Worthington before the Playoff season

Russell - Bought back to Carrow Road by Grant
Smith - Product of the Youth Academy
Lappin - Bought by Grant

Hoolahan - Bought by Roeder
Martin - Product of the Youth Academy
Holt - Gunns Signing

I make that 2 players who were signed by Gunn who are in the starting XI so please explain to me how this is ''Gunn''s team - that he picked and signed''

Equally look at Gunn''s other dealings in the summer:

McVeigh - Flop
OTJ - Flop
Gill - Flop
Wiggins - Never plays
Theoklitos - Flop
Whaley - Flop
Goran Maric - who?
Alnwick - who was useless!
Nelson - OK but not the best

Think I''ve covered everyone there have I?

The above is the definitive answer as to why you are talking b*ll*cks and what a good job Lambert has done in changing the fortunes of Norwich City Football Club.  

[quote user="singing canary"]askou, holt , martin, and gunn kicked off about hoolihan . between then they have got us where we are ..2nd .[/quote]So which of those players did he sign?He was an inept manager, utterly hopeless and with no experience or tactical nouse. I''m struggling to decide here if you are stupid, or completely stupid, is a pretty close run thing.

the fact is im not saying gunn was a better manager , what im saying is its wrong that gunn is given such a hard time .

lambert knows wher to play players .

gunn has walked away and is slated .

the bloke was not given a chance just a mess roeder left , a load of loan players who could not give a toss about this club .

and gunn has taken the stick for it ..

[quote user="singing canary"]the fact is im not saying gunn was a better manager , what im saying is its wrong that gunn is given such a hard time .

lambert knows wher to play players .

gunn has walked away and is slated .

the bloke was not given a chance just a mess roeder left , a load of loan players who could not give a toss about this club .

and gunn has taken the stick for it ..[/quote]Gunn was sacked because he wasn''t up to the job.He was niave to think that he could have been.He now works for a mobile phone company, which shows how much he has decided to use his considerable football managerial experience now.

so the fact he had the brains to buy a striker who would score goals ..and im backing him makes me stupid..!!

im not going to argue with you , you have cast your opinion ,,

[quote user="singing canary"]so the fact he had the brains to buy a striker who would score goals ..and im backing him makes me stupid..!!

im not going to argue with you , you have cast your opinion ,,[/quote]You''re not going to argue with me because you have no basis to do so.I have already stated that he was a half decent scout, so identifying Grant Holt shouldn''t have been difficult. Yes, backing him makes you stupid, he tried and he failed, what more is there to discuss?You started off telling us how it was gunny''s team, and now you are whittled down to basically saying that Grant Holt is his only saving grace. Seriously I could have recommended City sign him, and I know comparatively little about football, though clearly a little more than you.

[quote user="singing canary"]the fact is im not saying gunn was a better manager , what im saying is its wrong that gunn is given such a hard time . lambert knows wher to play players . gunn has walked away and is slated . the bloke was not given a chance just a mess roeder left , a load of loan players who could not give a toss about this club . and gunn has taken the stick for it ..[/quote]

They don''t get it. You''re wasting your time I''m afraid.

OTBC

Unfortunately Gunn was one of the worst (if not THE worst) manager in our club''s history.We all wanted him to succeed when he took over from Roeder even though we all knew at the time that this was a crazy appointment given our position. He promptly took us in to the relegation zone and down to the third tier of English football for the first time in 50 years. I did not like him for this.But I now pretty much hate the bloke for applying for, pretty much begging for the job for the new season. Obviously I am angry with the board as it was at that time for the inexplicable appointment. Thank God for McNally!

[quote user="singing canary"]why so many of you (and much as i respect your thoughts).. give gunny a hard time . lets look at the facts . gunn took over half way through last season with no player budget and was on a hidding to nothing . he bought players in like askou , holt , keeped hold of hoolihan brought back martin . though season friendlies we did not lose a game infact we looked good . i must admit the colchester game shocked me , i thought theo was poor. but then we went and won 4-0 away from home and gunn was sacked..!! lambert has taken all the credit and gunn is a waste of space . lambert is a far better than gunn i will admit , but what gets me is thew stick gunn still gets when through him and hid ideas we have got better players than we had through roeder. he was a legend here and as much as you lot slate him as a manager he found something that city have lacked for ages since earnshaw left ... a proven striker . roeder killed this club and gunn has taken the stick . im my eyes he is still a canary legend and without his signings we may not be where we are today . i know im about to get stick for this post but to be honest im not bothered. why ... if it was not for gunn we would not have the players who got us here . lambert is a great manager ,and im pleased he is here . but give gunny some credit as im fed up with hearing how crap he was . he had one bad result after he put the team together he wanted and it cost him and his career . im ready for the abuse..!!![/quote]

have to say that i agree with what you have to say , Gunny is and always will be a city legend and not the scapegoat that most on here seem to think , yes Lambert is a big improvement but Gunny inhereted a poor team mostly of loanee''s and then had only 2 games with his own team although one was a total disaster one off result

My heart wants to agree with the original poster as I will always have a lot of time for Gunny but my head says no. Gunn will always be a legend and rightfully so but his record as a manager was poor, he did pick up some useful players and did an amazing job of building a Norwich team after the Roeder loan debacle. However if Gunn is to be given any credance as a manager then he would still be involved in football, still be looking for his next managerial position. Maybe he is, but taking a job at a Mobile Phone company does not suggest that even he is keen to dip his toes into the managerial waters again anytime soon. Look at Megson, everyone couldn''t wait to get rid of him and at the time he was a pretty poor manager, he might not still be popular with everyone but he has gone on to manage a lot of clubs enjoying a fair bit of success. Until Gunn goes back into management I don''t think anyone can really say for certain that he is an awful manager.

Why blame Gunn? I point the finger at those who appointed him as our permanent ''manager'' - even after he couldn''t buy that win or two that would have kept us up....

Three of those who appointed him are still representing the NCFC board....But fortunately, have less of a say than when they were steering us into ''the perfect storm''....

Doncaster was always on his way anyway....and for Roger? He more or less retired his position, and now looks better for it  - and still sits in the Directors Box.

It wasn''t Melissa and the Internet - or the fact that Gunn wanted the job permanently....It was the previous board going for the cheap option....

Now that Mr Mac, Mr Bowkett and the ''archant bloke'' have been on the bridge....''finances aside'' we seem to be making slow but positive headway through that perfect storm. 

Imagine if Mr Mac and Bowkett had been on the bridge 5 seasons ago?

Don''t blame Gunn.....Although he wanted the job, he didn''t appoint himself. 

Bored of this same old f**king thread coming back to massage people''s ego''s... who gives a sh*t... we have a decent team now, doing well, with an excellent manager... yet people still feel the need to argue over something completely and utterly pointless... PS - Gunn was hopeless. HOPELESS as a manager, and undefendable... we got relegated... we got relegated... we got relegated!Delia Smith and co are equally to blame for putting us in that situation to begin with. Yes.Neeeexxxttt...

my point is . the constant grief and how people talk about gunn .

its wrong . if you dont like the post dont answer.

i feel the guy deserves a bit more respect than the constant slagging off the man seems to get . he was hardly given a fair chance and has taken the flak for other managers cock-ups as well .people seem to forget he was sacked after a 4-0 away win , how does that make him a crap manager.

[quote user="singing canary"]my point is . the constant grief and how people talk about gunn .

its wrong . if you dont like the post dont answer.

i feel the guy deserves a bit more respect than the constant slagging off the man seems to get . he was hardly given a fair chance and has taken the flak for other managers cock-ups as well .people seem to forget he was sacked after a 4-0 away win , how does that make him a crap manager.[/quote]Wheres the constant grief? Yours is the first thread I have seen about it in ages.

[quote user="Michael Starr"]Bored of this same old f**king thread coming back to massage people''s ego''s... who gives a sh*t... we have a decent team now, doing well, with an excellent manager... yet people still feel the need to argue over something completely and utterly pointless... PS - Gunn was hopeless. HOPELESS as a manager, and undefendable... we got relegated... we got relegated... we got relegated!

Delia Smith and co are equally to blame for putting us in that situation to begin with. Yes.

Neeeexxxttt...
[/quote]

It is only 10 20 and already we have the post of the day[Y]

Seriously, how many times?Charlton 4 Norwich 2Norwich 1 Colchester 7Don''t need to go any further than that really (even though that is just scratching the surface...).