Sign in to follow this  
InLambertWeTrust!

I'm prepared for the abuse BUT

Is catching Leeds really that important? It would be wonderful if we could over-take them but surely finishing in the top 2 is just as important as aiming to win the league? It has been argued that Leeds'' point tally and position is something we should use to aim for but lets not forget the chasing pack (namely COL WHO!? and Charlton).Pull away from the chasing pack and then think about leeds. Am I totally wrong?

I don''t think this post would warrant abuse mate. We''ll all just be happy to get out of this league. As Champions would be an added bonus but as long as we''re in the Championship next season I couldn''t care how we do it.

I don''t really think it was a big issue for anyone until a certain Leeds fan came on here to wind everyone up saying we couldn''t possibly do it. Would of course be nice to get a little trophy at the end of the season, but Championship football next season is the most important thing.

[quote user="promotion chasing CT "]Is catching Leeds really that important? It would be wonderful if we could over-take them but surely finishing in the top 2 is just as important as aiming to win the league? It has been argued that Leeds'' point tally and position is something we should use to aim for but lets not forget the chasing pack (namely COL WHO!? and Charlton).Pull away from the chasing pack and then think about leeds. Am I totally wrong?[/quote]Don''t understand why you would want to worry about someone who is behind you - you''re ahead of them, so all you''ll be focussing on is worrying about losing points and lettign them catch you - you''ve got to be aiming for the next target in front of you, which, in this case, is Leeds. Sure - it''s not important if we don''t get 1st, and stay in second - but you have to aim for it, simply to keep motivation up.

[quote user="promotion chasing CT "]Is catching Leeds really that important?

It would be wonderful if we could over-take them but surely finishing in the top 2 is just as important as aiming to win the league?
It has been argued that Leeds'' point tally and position is something we should use to aim for but lets not forget the chasing pack (namely COL WHO!? and Charlton).

Pull away from the chasing pack and then think about leeds. Am I totally wrong?
[/quote]

Would total disinterest in whatever you''re running on about be preferable?

If so count me in.........

It is important to keep the momentum.Slacking off and thinking we have second spot in the bag would be very dangerous.Footballers, on the whole, aren''t the sharpest lads, bless em, and they need clear direction and something to aim for.

Its not important but the fact is some silverware would be nice. If your going to go up it would be nice to do it as champions and gain momentum for next season look at Leicester at the moment they are still riding high on their promotion wave and doing very well in the Championship

Winning the title of league 1 would be slightly embarassing . 2nd will do just fine .

[quote user="yoda"]Winning the title of league 1 would be slightly embarassing . 2nd will do just fine .[/quote]Surely it would be more embarassing for a club of this size being in league one and not winning it?

[quote user="The Duke"][quote user="yoda"]Winning the title of league 1 would be slightly embarassing . 2nd will do just fine .[/quote]Surely it would be more embarassing for a club of this size being in league one and not winning it? [/quote]

Living in deep suffolk and parading a league 1 trophy around no it wouldn''t !

[quote user="promotion chasing CT "]Is catching Leeds really that important? It would be wonderful if we could over-take them but surely finishing in the top 2 is just as important as aiming to win the league? It has been argued that Leeds'' point tally and position is something we should use to aim for but lets not forget the chasing pack (namely COL WHO!? and Charlton).Pull away from the chasing pack and then think about leeds. Am I totally wrong?[/quote]You''re totally right! [Y] [:)]

[quote user="promotion chasing CT "]Is catching Leeds really that important? It would be wonderful if we could over-take them but surely finishing in the top 2 is just as important as aiming to win the league? It has been argued that Leeds'' point tally and position is something we should use to aim for but lets not forget the chasing pack (namely COL WHO!? and Charlton).Pull away from the chasing pack and then think about leeds. Am I totally wrong?[/quote]No, I agree with you on this.  As long as we go up automatically I really don''t mind if it''s in 1st or 2nd place.

Me neither. All I want is automatic promotion, as the play-offs worry me a bit. Though of course everyone prefers 1st, not 2nd

theres being 2nd best and theres being champions... if you accept second best then you will never be anything in life..

[quote user="The Duke"]Its not important but the fact is some silverware would be nice. If your going to go up it would be nice to do it as champions and gain momentum for next season look at Leicester at the moment they are still riding high on their promotion wave and doing very well in the Championship
[/quote]

Liecester we''re a completely different kettle of fish though. They went down with a VERY good young squad and had one of the best defensive records in the league. We however had an awful defence and have had to re-build our squad. 

As far as the OP goes, I will be happy just to get out of this bloody league. Yes don''t look back and focus on top spot but if we finish in second then great, up we go.

[quote user="jas the barclay king"]

theres being 2nd best and theres being champions... if you accept second best then you will never be anything in life..

[/quote]

Yea, Dan''l Lewin must be beside himself...

[/quote]Thanks for that, Andy McNab.  The point is, we can''t influence what Leeds United do in their remaining games.  All we can do is keep on winning.  If we keep winning, and Leeds keep winning, then we can''t catch Leeds so we would have to accept second place.  No shame in that at all.  I''m sure we started the season under Gunny''s management expecting to win the league... actually, I''m not sure if we did, I think that was part of the problem and the reason we got caned 7-1.

[quote user="yoda"]Winning the title of league 1 would be slightly embarassing . 2nd will do just fine .[/quote]

Yah, would we actually put the thing on display or just use it as a doorstop or paperweight?  If the latter, then let''s go get ''em.

[/quote]I''d cancel the subscription to '' Only A Winner '' magazine if I were you Jas.That sort of stuff fills your head with c*ap and can seriously damage your health........especially if you''re a Norwich City supporter.

you have to admit ct would be great to go up in style ..as champions on the silverware ... us fans deserve something to shout about after recent years.

i bet lambert would want first divsion champions in first season in charge on his cv.

[quote user="promotion chasing CT "]Is catching Leeds really that important?

It would be wonderful if we could over-take them but surely finishing in the top 2 is just as important as aiming to win the league?
It has been argued that Leeds'' point tally and position is something we should use to aim for but lets not forget the chasing pack (namely COL WHO!? and Charlton).

Pull away from the chasing pack and then think about leeds. Am I totally wrong?
[/quote] As long as we go up i don''t care if it''s 1st or 2nd there is no real glory in winning the 3rd division. But now having Leeds within touching distance is massively important. The chase is on now and that chase should pull us away from the pack.

Over the next few weeks would certainly like to see Leedsbeat Colchester Charlton and Swindon as I would rather finish 2nd than have a close fight between 5 of us for 2 places.

Lets keep winning and see where it puts us.

I''m probably wrong but I have a feeling that the runners up have tended to do better following promotion, than have the champions. Anyone got the stats for the past decade?

[quote user="Lambert is King"]Over the next few weeks would certainly like to see Leedsbeat Colchester Charlton and Swindon as I would rather finish 2nd than have a close fight between 5 of us for 2 places.

Lets keep winning and see where it puts us.[/quote]I would prefer those to be draws as it could see us getting even closer to Leeds, but my 2nd choice would be for Leeds to win, as it would hold the others behind us and keep us heading for automatic promotion, even if it is via 2nd place

[quote user="Binky"]I''m probably wrong but I have a feeling that the runners up have tended to do better following promotion, than have the champions. Anyone got the stats for the past decade?[/quote]It varies. Until recently I seemed to notice that with the sides promoted to the Premiership, the play-off winners so often went straight back down the next season as they just aren''t good enough (because they can only manage promotion via the play-offs). However the season we went up, West Brom were 2nd and they stayed up, and Southampton won the play-offs and finished bottom (as did Watford and Derby). But a few seasons back West Brom 1st, Stoke 2nd, Hull P/Os and West Brom finished bottom whilst Stoke and Hull both stayed up, so thats a v good point. Really I think it depends more on the confidence of the players and the management though.