Sign in to follow this  
dpit

Poll - posts deleted

How many people have received on of those chirpy little emails that tells them thy have had had posts deleted for ''no reason given'' (or even apparant)? If someone is breaking the Code of Conduct then by all mean delete away but before you delete on a whim, please think about the implications with regards to censorship.

[quote user="dpit"]

How many people have received on of those chirpy little emails that tells them thy have had had posts deleted for ''no reason given'' (or even apparant)? If someone is breaking the Code of Conduct then by all mean delete away but before you delete on a whim, please think about the implications with regards to censorship.

[/quote]I have received a few. And on occasion mailed back to ask exactly why, as it hasn''t always been particularly obvious, and received no reply.I understand the need sometimes that things have to be deleted, and I also understand the mod''s reticence to enter into debate about why, but it doesn''t make it an less annoying!

I have posted on this before but this is actually a serious issue. We are supposed to have a code of conduct, if posts are deleted for any other reason than violation of the code it flies in the face of the the concept pof freedom of speech. I don''t expect a personal reply but I do expect and indeed demand a statement of policy.

Code of conduct

1. Do not advertise products or services on the message boards. Any advertising without permission will be removed.

2. Keep to the topic of the original thread and do not post multiple threads on the same subject.

3. Users must not post messages which:

• Are insulting, abusive, racist, sexist, or

derogatory in any way to others, whether they are individuals or

companies, social or religious groups or people of a different

background, users of the Forum or not.
  • Threaten, intimidate, victimise or harass others.

• Make libellous comments about individuals or

companies, including Archant newspapers, magazines or websites, and

their staff or contributors. The law against defamation protects

individuals or organisations from attacks on their reputation. This

means the publication of any statement which: exposes them to hatred,

ridicule or contempt , causes them to be shunned or avoided, discredits

them in their trade, business or profession, or generally lowers them

in the eyes of right thinking members of society. Unlike other charges,

the onus is on you in cases of libel, as the author, to prove your

statement or comment is legal.
  • Result in contempt of court – do not post

anything which could prejudice court proceedings currently or in the

future. It is basically contempt of court to comment on any crime once

someone has been arrested for it, even if they have not yet been

charged. That is when proceedings become active and potential jurors

may be swayed by what they read.
  • Contain explicit language or vulgarities

• Use foreign languages 

• Impersonate or represent any person or entity in an attempt to deceive, harass or otherwise mislead another member.

• Incite illegal activity including the glorification of terrorism or incitement to racial hatred. 

• Infringe intellectual property rights or

transmit any material that you don''t have the right to transmit under

law (such as copyright or trade secrets)
  • Link to and/or references content not allowed under these guidelines.

• Use the service in a manner deemed inappropriate by Archant.

• Impede or disrupt the flow of the discussions in the Forum.

• Include personal information about others,

or publish private correspondence or report conversations where there

has been a reasonable expectation of privacy from other parties
I think that covers just about everything including "Use the service in a manner deemed inappropriate by Archant"

[quote user="morty"]

Code of conduct

1. Do not advertise products or services on the message boards. Any advertising without permission will be removed.

2. Keep to the topic of the original thread and do not post multiple threads on the same subject.

• Are insulting, abusive, racist, sexist, or derogatory in any way to others, whether they are individuals or companies, social or religious groups or people of a different background, users of the Forum or not.

• Make libellous comments about individuals or companies, including Archant newspapers, magazines or websites, and their staff or contributors. The law against defamation protects individuals or organisations from attacks on their reputation. This means the publication of any statement which: exposes them to hatred, ridicule or contempt , causes them to be shunned or avoided, discredits them in their trade, business or profession, or generally lowers them in the eyes of right thinking members of society. Unlike other charges, the onus is on you in cases of libel, as the author, to prove your statement or comment is legal.

• Result in contempt of court – do not post anything which could prejudice court proceedings currently or in the future. It is basically contempt of court to comment on any crime once someone has been arrested for it, even if they have not yet been charged. That is when proceedings become active and potential jurors may be swayed by what they read.

• Use foreign languages 

• Impersonate or represent any person or entity in an attempt to deceive, harass or otherwise mislead another member.

• Incite illegal activity including the glorification of terrorism or incitement to racial hatred. 

• Infringe intellectual property rights or transmit any material that you don''t have the right to transmit under law (such as copyright or trade secrets)

• Include personal information about others, or publish private correspondence or report conversations where there has been a reasonable expectation of privacy from other parties

I think that covers just about everything including "Use the service in a manner deemed inappropriate by Archant"
[/quote]

No, not enough I''m afraid. If Archant deems that a post falls into this category they must at least offer an explanation. If not, we are posting on an ópen forum'', which is not open at all.

[quote user="Mister Chops"]Reading that little lot, it''s a miracle any posts are allowed to stay.
[/quote]

Precisely.

This is a debate that needs to be had. Archant?

By the way, I will keep bumping this thread until it is deleted (in which case, I will start a new one) or we get some  sort of response from Archant. If I am banned, let my absence speak for me.

[quote user="dpit"][quote user="morty"]

Code of conduct

• Are insulting, abusive, racist, sexist, or derogatory in any way to others, whether they are individuals or companies, social or religious groups or people of a different background, users of the Forum or not.

• Make libellous comments about individuals or companies, including Archant newspapers, magazines or websites, and their staff or contributors. The law against defamation protects individuals or organisations from attacks on their reputation. This means the publication of any statement which: exposes them to hatred, ridicule or contempt , causes them to be shunned or avoided, discredits them in their trade, business or profession, or generally lowers them in the eyes of right thinking members of society. Unlike other charges, the onus is on you in cases of libel, as the author, to prove your statement or comment is legal.

• Result in contempt of court – do not post anything which could prejudice court proceedings currently or in the future. It is basically contempt of court to comment on any crime once someone has been arrested for it, even if they have not yet been charged. That is when proceedings become active and potential jurors may be swayed by what they read.

• Use foreign languages 

• Infringe intellectual property rights or transmit any material that you don''t have the right to transmit under law (such as copyright or trade secrets)

• Include personal information about others, or publish private correspondence or report conversations where there has been a reasonable expectation of privacy from other parties

I think that covers just about everything including "Use the service in a manner deemed inappropriate by Archant"[/quote]

No, not enough I''m afraid. If Archant deems that a post falls into this category they must at least offer an explanation. If not, we are posting on an ópen forum'', which is not open at all.

[/quote]I think its pretty straight forward. At the end of the day, its their trainset and they run it how we like. We don''t pay for this service so we abide by their rules. We have no right to any explanation as the mods would spend about 27 hours a day arguing with people why their post is deleted.Believe me, I use a few forums, including being a mod on one, and it really has to be this way.

[quote user="dpit"]By the way, I will keep bumping this thread until it is deleted (in which case, I will start a new one) or we get some  sort of response from Archant. If I am banned, let my absence speak for me.[/quote]Do you think people will rise up against Archant if you are banned? Believe mee my friend, the internet has a very short memory, you may be disappointed.What particular axe do you have to grind? Do you have an example as to when you were treated wrongly, in your opinion, by the mods?

[quote user="morty"][quote user="dpit"][quote user="morty"]

Code of conduct

• Use foreign languages 

[/quote]

[/quote]

I think its pretty straight forward. At the end of the day, its their trainset and they run it how we like. We don''t pay for this service so we abide by their rules. We have no right to any explanation as the mods would spend about 27 hours a day arguing with people why their post is deleted.

Believe me, I use a few forums, including being a mod on one, and it really has to be this way.
[/quote]

Why? The concept of an internet forum allows for freedom of speech. Their ''trainset'' should have this as its modus operandi. By using the forum, we make Archant money - what do you think those bits of text at the bottom of each page are? I don''t want an argument, I just don''t want petty censorship carried out by high handed little twerps who have no sense of the wider implications of their actions.

[quote user="dpit"]I have posted on this before but this is actually a serious issue. We are supposed to have a code of conduct, if posts are deleted for any other reason than violation of the code it flies in the face of the the concept pof freedom of speech. I don''t expect a personal reply but I do expect and indeed demand a statement of policy.[/quote]This ain''t America, we don''t have a Bill Of Rights.But as this is a message board, run by a private company then they have every right to remove what they want. You may have the Freedom of Speech, but not the Freedom of Broadcast. Basically, you can say what you want but no one has to allow you the medium to do it.The key is not to make statements about individuals or companies (of which Norwich City is of course one) with the "cover your back" statements of "allegedly" or "in my opinion". Libel Law in the UK is very much set up to protect people/companies in the public eye, and anything you say on here could result in a libel case for the Archant.

[quote user="dpit"][quote user="morty"][quote user="dpit"][quote user="morty"]

Code of conduct

• Use foreign languages 

I think that covers just about everything including "Use the service in a manner deemed inappropriate by Archant"[/quote]

[/quote]I think its pretty straight forward. At the end of the day, its their trainset and they run it how we like. We don''t pay for this service so we abide by their rules. We have no right to any explanation as the mods would spend about 27 hours a day arguing with people why their post is deleted.Believe me, I use a few forums, including being a mod on one, and it really has to be this way.[/quote]

Why? The concept of an internet forum allows for freedom of speech. Their ''trainset'' should have this as its modus operandi. By using the forum, we make Archant money - what do you think those bits of text at the bottom of each page are? I don''t want an argument, I just don''t want petty censorship carried out by high handed little twerps who have no sense of the wider implications of their actions.

[/quote]Here''s an idea. Go to your front door, open it, step outside and see if you can find a life. If this is the biggest thing you''ve got to worry about, then you have some serious issues my friend......... [8-)]

[quote user="dpit"][quote user="morty"][quote user="dpit"][quote user="morty"]

Code of conduct

• Use foreign languages 

[/quote]I think its pretty straight forward. At the end of the day, its their trainset and they run it how we like. We don''t pay for this service so we abide by their rules. We have no right to any explanation as the mods would spend about 27 hours a day arguing with people why their post is deleted.Believe me, I use a few forums, including being a mod on one, and it really has to be this way.[/quote]

[/quote]Thats your opinion, and if it was YOUR message board then you could apply YOUR principles of what you consider appropriate. And calling the mods "High handed little twerps" has just lost you any moral high ground you thought you had.

[quote user="Clipped Canary"][quote user="dpit"][quote user="morty"][quote user="dpit"][quote user="morty"]

Code of conduct

• Use foreign languages 

[/quote]

[/quote]

I think its pretty straight forward. At the end of the day, its their trainset and they run it how we like. We don''t pay for this service so we abide by their rules. We have no right to any explanation as the mods would spend about 27 hours a day arguing with people why their post is deleted.

Believe me, I use a few forums, including being a mod on one, and it really has to be this way.
[/quote]

[/quote]

Here''s an idea. Go to your front door, open it, step outside and see if you can find a life. If this is the biggest thing you''ve got to worry about, then you have some serious issues my friend......... [8-)]
[/quote]

I have a life. A full, stimulating and satisfying one. I also have problems, which are much more serious that this. But this is forum...for debate. Give me a justification for this type of action and I will shut my little face.

[quote user="morty"][quote user="dpit"][quote user="morty"][quote user="dpit"][quote user="morty"]

Code of conduct

• Use foreign languages 

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Thats your opinion, and if it was YOUR message board then you could apply YOUR principles of what you consider appropriate. And calling the mods "High handed little twerps" has just lost you any moral high ground you thought you had.
[/quote]

Is it their, or our message board. Is this not the question? I do not seek moral high ground, simply clarity?

[quote user="dpit"][quote user="Clipped Canary"][quote user="dpit"][quote user="morty"][quote user="dpit"][quote user="morty"]

Code of conduct

• Use foreign languages 

[/quote]Here''s an idea. Go to your front door, open it, step outside and see if you can find a life. If this is the biggest thing you''ve got to worry about, then you have some serious issues my friend......... [8-)][/quote]

I have a life. A full, stimulating and satisfying one. I also have problems, which are much more serious that this. But this is forum...for debate. Give me a justification for this type of action and I will shut my little face.

[/quote]Because the world''s a big, nasty place full of mean men who are out to upset poor little you........My god you''re dull. £20 say''s you''re single......

I shall stop quoting as the posts are getting huge.It is Archant''s message board, owned and operated by them. It is not ours in any way shape or form.They have rules that they require us to follow if they break their rules they will take action as THEY deem appropriate.It really is that simple, neither you or I have any say in how they apply their rules.And before you rant on about it unfair, the ultimate answer is "If you don''t like it, you know where the door is"

How can you send it to me?

Happily married, 2 kids, what would be regarded as a desirable and high powered job, smug, have lived all around the world and not personally upset at all.

And I asked you earlier what particular axe do you have to grind here, how have you been so wronged by the mods?Quote your example and I shall explain how it didn''t fit in with their rule guidelines.

[quote user="dpit"][quote user="morty"][quote user="dpit"][quote user="morty"][quote user="dpit"][quote user="morty"]

Code of conduct

• Use foreign languages 

[/quote]Thats your opinion, and if it was YOUR message board then you could apply YOUR principles of what you consider appropriate. And calling the mods "High handed little twerps" has just lost you any moral high ground you thought you had.[/quote]

Is it their, or our message board. Is this not the question? I do not seek moral high ground, simply clarity?

[/quote]It''s "their" message board.  It''s part of the Pink Un domain which is Archant registered, owned and maintained, at a cost to Archant, and so they get to define the rules of what is and isn''t free speech.Free speech in any case does need to take into account various UK Government laws, such as incitement, racial hatred etc., which is one reason that message boards are not truly "free speech", but I don''t think this is a bad thing. It''s not China, is it?

[quote user="morty"]I shall stop quoting as the posts are getting huge.

It is Archant''s message board, owned and operated by them. It is not ours in any way shape or form.

They have rules that they require us to follow if they break their rules they will take action as THEY deem appropriate.

It really is that simple, neither you or I have any say in how they apply their rules.

And before you rant on about it unfair, the ultimate answer is "If you don''t like it, you know where the door is"

[/quote]

Yes, indeed. But you are missing the point. I won''t go through it again. Some ''bigger thinking'' about issues of freedom of speech and use of the internet is needed here. You may be a mod elsewhere but I am not sure how much reading about philosophical issues related to the web you have done. If you like I can PM you a reading list.

"and so they get to define the rules of what is and isn''t free speech."

Now that is controversial!

[quote user="dpit"]

[quote user="morty"]I shall stop quoting as the posts are getting huge.It is Archant''s message board, owned and operated by them. It is not ours in any way shape or form.They have rules that they require us to follow if they break their rules they will take action as THEY deem appropriate.It really is that simple, neither you or I have any say in how they apply their rules.And before you rant on about it unfair, the ultimate answer is "If you don''t like it, you know where the door is"

[/quote]

Yes, indeed. But you are missing the point. I won''t go through it again. Some ''bigger thinking'' about issues of freedom of speech and use of the internet is needed here. You may be a mod elsewhere but I am not sure how much reading about philosophical issues related to the web you have done. If you like I can PM you a reading list.

[/quote]No, you are missing my point. You are not nearly as important in all this as you think you are. Its very simple, this is a football forum, if people use it to personally insult other users, deliberately stir up trouble, or just generally be a cock then they will remove the problem.I suggest you go and stand outside Archant HQ with a big banner and protest about their big brother style control methods, I am sure you shall be joined by thousands of others.

[quote user="dpit"]

"and so they get to define the rules of what is and isn''t free speech."

Now that is controversial!

[/quote]Just clumsily worded on my part, which is why I didn''t beat Charles Clarke at the last Labour hustings.Let me try again."They get to define what is and is not acceptable on the message board for which they own the content and are therefore responsible for."Clearly Archant don''t get to define what is and isn''t free speech.  Everyone knows that''s News International.

And are you actually going to reveal how you were so terribly wronged here? Or just mutter on vaguely about "free speech"?

I actually banged out a sentence bemoaning the fact that people on here can''t spell ''lose''. Not big or clever and done on a whim. Wouldn''t even have complained if it was moved to the Ít''s Not Just Football section. But it wasn''t moved...it was deleted....removed. Not because it was racist, offensive or libellous. But because it was (and it was) crap. But that is the point. 95% of what is on here is crap. Granted this crap was in the wrong place. But the issue is not this stupid little post.. the issue is (and here''s a word that will make people spit feathers) is the principle.

[quote user="dpit"]

[quote user="morty"]I shall stop quoting as the posts are getting huge.It is Archant''s message board, owned and operated by them. It is not ours in any way shape or form.They have rules that they require us to follow if they break their rules they will take action as THEY deem appropriate.It really is that simple, neither you or I have any say in how they apply their rules.And before you rant on about it unfair, the ultimate answer is "If you don''t like it, you know where the door is"

[/quote]

[/quote]Don''t get all high and mighty on a football forum of a local newspaper. There are places on the internet that allow for true Freedom of Speech, sites such as WikiLeaks etc. I don''t really think this is an issue on the Pink''Un website.At the end of the day, the Archant are libel for any actionable statements that come through this message board, which will mean at times they remove posts they are unsure about. You agreed to the Code of Conduct when you signed up so can''t really complain when posts are removed. If you want to rant about something in particular start your own website and put it all there and give us a link, then no one can censor you..... until you are sued.