Sign in to follow this  
Boyo

R.Martin

Don''t want to take the shine off things but who else thought he was useless?  When he gets near the box he is a great overlapping full back but everywhere else we may aswell have Otsemobor there!  Defence wise he is not a good defender at all.  His headers get no distance on them and more often than not seem to go staright to an opposition player due to the fact he pays no attention to the defensive rule of don''t play anything across goal.  He often gets the ball taken round him far to easily and is either really weak in a tackle or to reckless, and his distribution is terrible.  Time and time again today he left Russel short in the centre of midfield causing Russel to slide in and either give away possesion or give away a free kick.  He also played plenty of long balls which went to no one and his balls down the line were more often than put out of play or played far to hard.

Personally I do not think he is a good player and I''m dissapointed that we have signed him as I think he has been like this since his first game.  But those are just my thoughts and it would be interesting to hear yours because most people I speak to think he is pretty good and I just can''t see where they are coming from and I would really like to know if the is anyone else who has my same opinion.

I didn''t notice any of that, I didn''t think the team played that well, but I wouldn''t single him out as especially bad.

i thought that russell martin was poor today. I think that although when he plays his best he would be a better choice than otsemobor, but  oday semi would have been better in my opinion - i also prefer semi [;)]

Ok, he didnt play well today. I''ll give you that.Cannot believe for a moment you actually think that Otsemobor is a better option [:O]Martin is mostly pretty solid defensively from the home games i''ve seen him play. Good tackling, decent positioning and good distribution. He seems to be good going forward also, usually linking well with whoever is on the right side.I would say however, that Spillane would be my preferred choice at RB. He seemed to be growing into the position and the system until injury.

I''ve seen him play at Southend and Wycombe and he definitely seems a lot more reliable than Otsemobor. Apparently he made a vital goal-line clearance today so his performance couldn''t have been too bad.

he was very erratic.......he made some very poor mistakes, but also did some very good things (a few good passes/interceptions....)

I don''t think the team was poor, i though Exeter where pretty good, and deserve a lot of credit, we where not quite up to par, but not poor....

It''s not that I am a fan of Otsemobor, because I am not, it''s just that I think R.Martin is no better than him.  I can''t wait to have Spillane back.

[quote user="Boyo''"]

He had a poor game today boyo, was left to deal with a few two on ones though, his passing was dodgy, but to be honest nobody played to their best today so  personally I wouldnt single him out for stick. 

[quote user="thefutureisyellow"][quote user="Boyo''"]

He had a poor game today boyo, was left to deal with a few two on ones though, his passing was dodgy, but to be honest nobody played to their best today so  personally I wouldnt single him out for stick. 

[/quote]

Not sure why that happened?

He had a stinker today. However I thought he played alright in the previous games.Everybody has a bad game from time to time. Let hope he doesn''t make a habit of it.

[quote user="thefutureisyellow"][quote user="Boyo''"]

[/quote]

Not sure why that happened?

I honestly dont think Russel Martin was that bad at all today, yes he did make one or two mistakes, but overall he was fine.

Also was very positive going forward at times as well as clearing one off our line.

I wont deny it wasnt his best game, but he certainly wasnt useless, and was a damn sight better than one of Otsemobors off ''days''

Definitely wasn''t the best 90 minutes of football Russell Martin has ever played. Defensively he was the weakest of the back line and his general use of the ball was quite often poor.

Had Otsemobor turned in a performance like that he''d have come in for a lot of criticism.

To begin with I thought Martin was no improvement on Semmy, then I thought he had 2 or 3 good performances but today I didn''t think he was up to much.

[quote user="Boyo"]It''s not that I am a fan of Otsemobor, because I am not, it''s just that I think R.Martin is no better than him.  I can''t wait to have Spillane back.[/quote]

I''d pick both Otsemobor and R Martin over Spillane.

He looked slower than Doc today and, man that''s bad.

We seem to be playing well as a team, but one or two are giving cause for concern. Nelson''s first four touches all went to the opposition. I feel he will be on his way if we win promotion.

So Martin is going to be the new scapegoat then? I was going to say that there hasn''t been one for a few weeks. But he was poor, but he has been good.

[quote user="Gingerpele"]he was very erratic.......he made some very poor mistakes, but also did some very good things (a few good passes/interceptions....) I don''t think the team was poor, i though Exeter where pretty good, and deserve a lot of credit, we where not quite up to par, but not poor....[/quote]

I would say that the whole starting eleven were erratic.

I am not convinced he is any better than Semmy. I''ve heard and read how well he played against Wycombe, but I wasn''t there. If he was to perform like he did today again I would expect him to come in for a lot of stick, it could be costly for us. Fingers crossed.

OK boyo - are you ots??  How many posts this week is that having a dig at R martin?

He had a poor spell in the first half, which was left exposed by the midfield who did not do their usual defensive duty today.   Ots has also been turned inside out as he was once by their winger near the snake pit.

He was far stronger in the second half when their 11 had far less impact on the game.  Positionally he was better than Ots and I no longer fear the far post cross as I have confidence that martin will both be in the right position AND be able to win the header.

I can see why Martin may not be good enough for the champs,  but for me his positives outweight the negatives in this league, and he is better than we previously had.

[quote user="Mello Yello"]

The speedy Exeter number eleven, did Martin for pace every time....

[/quote]

....he went past him....

Defenders errors, like goalies, shine out much more than those of forwards.

Holty could miss 4 or 5 chances, but, if he stuck one out of six away, and we won-he''d be the hero.

Martin can mess up a tackle, else be out of posiiton, thus leading to a chance for the opposition-but, even if we still win, its remembered-as the example here shows.

Our defence has done very well this season, how many goals conceded in last four games-1, and that for a keepers error, not one of the back four. Forster has been playing well, but no stick for him.

Martin will be OK, stick with him.

Martin had his poorest game yet for us yesterday, but was still looking for the ball rather than hiding away.

Even on a bad day, he''s preferable to a thousand Otsemebors.

[quote user="First Wazzock"]

He looked slower than Doc today and, man that''s bad.

We seem to be playing well as a team, but one or two are giving cause for concern. Nelson''s first four touches all went to the opposition. I feel he will be on his way if we win promotion.

[/quote]I think Whitbread will replace Nelson and the first choice CBs will be Doc & Askou, then Whitbread, Spillane as utility and Nelson on his way to Darlington.

A couple of us thought he was better at CB. He seemed to get caught out of position a lot, particularly in the first half though often the diamond was stretched because the play had spread wide and he was caught in no-man''s land deciding whether to plug the gab and go to the attacker or wait for the player to come to him.