Sign in to follow this  
norfolkchance1

Lambert favourite for Burnley

Looks like it might be leeds turn to worry in the morning with the bookmakers. Lambert is now well on the drift but Grayson is being backed heavily. On Betfair if the £14 available went now Grayson would be the new favourite

[quote user="Lambert is King"]Looks like it might be leeds turn to worry in the morning with the bookmakers. Lambert is now well on the drift but Grayson is being backed heavily. On Betfair if the £14 available went now Grayson would be the new favourite[/quote]Now that would be funny if they got Grayson!!!

Radio is reporting this morning that Paul Lambert is odds on favourite for the Burnley job. This is jumping on an old story as they are making things sound what they are not.

They are saying Lambert is oddson favourite and most markets have now closed indicating they are not taking anymore bets. Most of the markets close over night and reopen at 10am this morning. On Betfair that does run 24 hours Lambert is now almost 5/1 with Jewel and Grayson not far behind.

Not very good reporting when we wont know what other bookmakers are offering until 10AM

All the traditional books are now closed on the Burnley job, book remains open with Betfair with Paul Lambert equivilent of 9to2 and Paul Jewel 11to2 but of course this one works in a different way. 

Front page: WHO NEXT FOR THE HOT SEAT?

Names given as being in the running or on any potential shortlist....

Steve Davis (current Caretaker Manager)

Paul Jewell

Peter Reid

Steve Coppell

Ian Holloway

Simon Grayson

I''ve read the front pages and the sports pages and there is NO mention of Lambert.

[quote user="kilroyslefteyebrow"]Front page: WHO NEXT FOR THE HOT SEAT?

Names given as being in the running or on any potential shortlist....

Steve Davis (current Caretaker Manager)

Paul Jewell

Peter Reid

Steve Coppell

Ian Holloway

Simon Grayson

I''ve read the front pages and the sports pages and there is NO mention of Lambert.[/quote]Sometimes it is hard for fans to realise that what they value/is important/recognise doesn''t have a wider currency. I don''t think Lambert is on anyone''s radar at the moment apart from the clubs he has managed before. One failed play-off does not make a Prem manager. Same goes for Hooly & Holt - any manager turning up with them as their big signings would be laughed out of the ground.Which in the current situation is what we would want, isn''t it?

Nothing about Sousa then? Thats jarred me off put money on him yesterday!!

Thats right future dont see why radio Norfolk are reporting that most Companies have stopped taking bets on Lambert - the markets are only suspended overnight as they are with this type of betting everyday

[quote user="colufan"]Although I still don''t think he''s leaving you, the fact that your folks in Burnley don''t know anything about it proves nothing. If you look back I think you''ll find I told you that Lambert was joining you when most of your board was betting on Robins, as was the press.[/quote]

Utter bull... I think you will find it was me who first told this board that Lambert was City''s wanted man earlier this season!

He has already came out and said he is not interested in leaving Leeds, apparently his club and he wants to take them higher.

[quote user="Penfold"]I don''t know why a Premiership club would appoint Lambert unless they knew him. He''s never managed in the Championship let alone the top-flight, and to be objective he hasn''t actually done anything here unexpected. I love Paul Lambert, I think he''s a terrific young manager, but right now it''s hard to quantify how much of our position is down to him and how much is down to momentum and us being bigger than the teams we are facing. Sure he''s turned us around from a poor place, but given the quality of our squad and the level of support we are exactly where we should be - at the top end of the table. This is a poor league and I would expect any resonably competent manager to be able to get Norwich City out it, I don''t see it as a sign of greatness in the making. I believe he will go on to big things, perhaps even greatness, but right now there are managers around who have done considerably more than our Lambo. Look at Nigel Pearson, for example. He got Leicester promoted last year and has continued their good form this year, but he hasn''t even got a mention. Billy Davis has a promotion to his name and now has Forest on the up. Darren Ferguson has two promotions to his name and was available for free, then there''s the Coppells and Curbishleys of this world, who have seen and done it all. Lambert is an illogical appointment for Burnley. You''re only worried because we''re on the up for the first time in years and you''re frightened it''s all going to go wrong. 

[/quote]

Pearson would be a very good man for them to target and I would love them to take him off Leicester.  Just can''t see either Pearson or Billy Davies viewing that Burnley is a better option than where they are though considering both have their teams in the Championship play-offs.  Especially Davies who will possibly be thinking that he can get Forest in to the top two.

I still think Burnley should be making Mark Hughes (who has been there and done it with close rivals Blackburn for many years) their number one target!

[quote user="BigFish"][quote user="kilroyslefteyebrow"]Front page: WHO NEXT FOR THE HOT SEAT? Names given as being in the running or on any potential shortlist.... Steve Davis (current Caretaker Manager) Paul Jewell Peter Reid Steve Coppell Ian Holloway Simon Grayson I''ve read the front pages and the sports pages and there is NO mention of Lambert.[/quote]

Sometimes it is hard for fans to realise that what they value/is important/recognise doesn''t have a wider currency. I don''t think Lambert is on anyone''s radar at the moment apart from the clubs he has managed before. One failed play-off does not make a Prem manager. Same goes for Hooly & Holt - any manager turning up with them as their big signings would be laughed out of the ground.

Which in the current situation is what we would want, isn''t it?
[/quote]

For once we agree BF [;)]

[quote user="Smudger"]

[quote user="Penfold"]I don''t know why a Premiership club would appoint Lambert unless they knew him. He''s never managed in the Championship let alone the top-flight, and to be objective he hasn''t actually done anything here unexpected. I love Paul Lambert, I think he''s a terrific young manager, but right now it''s hard to quantify how much of our position is down to him and how much is down to momentum and us being bigger than the teams we are facing. Sure he''s turned us around from a poor place, but given the quality of our squad and the level of support we are exactly where we should be - at the top end of the table. This is a poor league and I would expect any resonably competent manager to be able to get Norwich City out it, I don''t see it as a sign of greatness in the making. I believe he will go on to big things, perhaps even greatness, but right now there are managers around who have done considerably more than our Lambo. Look at Nigel Pearson, for example. He got Leicester promoted last year and has continued their good form this year, but he hasn''t even got a mention. Billy Davis has a promotion to his name and now has Forest on the up. Darren Ferguson has two promotions to his name and was available for free, then there''s the Coppells and Curbishleys of this world, who have seen and done it all. Lambert is an illogical appointment for Burnley. You''re only worried because we''re on the up for the first time in years and you''re frightened it''s all going to go wrong. 

[/quote]

Pearson would be a very good man for them to target and I would love them to take him off Leicester.  Just can''t see either Pearson or Billy Davies viewing that Burnley is a better option than where they are though considering both have their teams in the Championship play-offs.  Especially Davies who will possibly be thinking that he can get Forest in to the top two.

I still think Burnley should be making Mark Hughes (who has been there and done it with close rivals Blackburn for many years) their number one target!

[/quote] I just can''t see Hughes wanting the job. He has a decent reputation at the moment and was unlucky to be sacked by Man City.  

Re: Betfair Market - it''s so weak that up until a few moments ago, I

could have crashed his back price back down to under 3/1 just by

backing back that which I layed on him yesterday. Until the volumes are

greater, which is unlikely with this type of market as information will

be at a premium, even Betfair represents an imprecise market. I layed him based on a hunch, and equally I could back him on a whim, and both without knowing anything at all more than is publically available.

[quote user="Smudger"]Pearson would be a very good man for them to target and I would love them to take him off Leicester.  Just can''t see either Pearson or Billy Davies viewing that Burnley is a better option than where they are though considering both have their teams in the Championship play-offs.  Especially Davies who will possibly be thinking that he can get Forest in to the top two.

[/quote]Agreed, but I don''t see what would lure them.  I honestly think Burnley are going to have to go for one of the perennial names mentioned when these stories come about.  Coppell, Curbs etc.  Curbishley would be a decent appointment - he''s a good manager with time on his side.

I read somewhere yesterday that there is no way Grayson would leave Leeds for Burnley - he''s a Leeds'' fan with a much bigger fanbase. The only issue in the case of Leeds and Norwich of course is the ridiculous cash that any Premier League side can pay a manager, but I''d be amazed if even that could sway Grayson.

I can''t see it.

Grayson is Leeds through and through, and can fulfil all his ambitions with them. Leeds are of course a far bigger club than Burnley - it just wouldn''t make any sense, especially considering he left a Championship club to join them in the first place

[quote user="Mister Chops"]http://boards.footymad.net/forum.php?tno=104&fid=297&sty=2&act=1&mid=2123346942

Is Lambert even on a proper contract?
[/quote]

I posted about this yesterday Chops.

Several poseters claimed that his rolling contract was a one year rolling contract, although nobody has been able to produce any evidence of this.

I am on the understanding that the contract is more of a weekly/monthly contract as I remember the news reports and Lamberts reaction to questions by the press when he signed for us.

If this is the case then NCFC need to get Lambert on a decent contract as soon as possible, because it will only be a matter of time before somebody comes and takes him off our hands for nothing.

I can understand that the board were scared of giving a contract to a manager before he had proven himself to us, after their recent history of disasterous choices.  Surely Lambert had done enough during his first few months in charge to suggest that he was the man to lead us forwards and  he should of been offered a two year contract at the start of December imo.

That would be great news...

http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Burnley-target-Leeds-boss-Simon-Grayson-to-take-over-from-Owen-Coyle-article280743.html

Although this doesn''t sound good "Flood has a short-list of three names with Norwich’s Paul Lambert a surprise contender."

I guess we just have to hope they get a couple of great wins as "Caretaker Steve Davis is also a possibility, especially if he gets off to a winning start."

[quote user="BigFish"]

Sometimes it is hard for fans to realise that what they value/is important/recognise doesn''t have a wider currency. I don''t think Lambert is on anyone''s radar at the moment apart from the clubs he has managed before. One failed play-off does not make a Prem manager. Same goes for Hooly & Holt - any manager turning up with them as their big signings would be laughed out of the ground.

[/quote]

Agree 100%

[quote user="JF"][quote user="Smudger"]

[/quote]

[/quote] I just can''t see Hughes wanting the job. He has a decent reputation at the moment and was unlucky to be sacked by Man City.  [/quote]

Hughes may have a fairly good reputation, but it is for keeping teams up or in mid-table in the Prem, he couldn''t produce any more at Man City.  I would say a club that is looking to stay in the Premiership would be ideal for Hughes and of course it is just up the road for him.

How many better options is Hughes likely to get? 

He may think that he is too big for Burnley after managing at Man City, but he failed at Man City.  He prob won''t get the job, but surely if I was sat on the Burnley board then he would be my number one target.