Sign in to follow this  
norfolkchance1

Lambert favourite for Burnley

[quote user="kdncfc"]

[quote user=" Baldrick"]paul lambert now odds on with most bookies. 5/2 with betfair. Taken fron a Burnley fans site.[/quote]

Seem to remember Paul Jewell being favourite to get our managers job and it didn''t happen, bookies are often wrong when it comes to the managerial merry go round.

[/quote]Seem to recall Boothroyd was one of the favourites to replace Gunn, and apparently Roeder and Lambert weren''t linked with us at all when they came. So you''re right, bookies are often wrong

Just shows how easily these odds drop! I put a fiver on sousa 10 mins ago wiv skybet at 20/1 just checked odds and now 16/1!!

[quote user="kdncfc"]

[quote user="claud"]If our club, with Lambert at the helm, is to be remotely successful again then we are going to have to get used to him being linked with every job that''s going at a ''bigger'' club. He might end up taking one of them, but I fully expect that he''ll be linked with/turn down more.
[/quote]

If he was linked with a job at a bigger club I could accept it, even though Burnley do have a distant history they have been behind is in the pecking order for most of the last 35 years and even though they''re in the prem I still don''t see them as bigger than us.

[/quote]

Not come on here to argue but two divisions do seperate us.

Still would prefer not to poach another manager and surely us taking Lambert would not do his reputation any good?

Obviously the fact that Burnley are currently prem puts them above us in the pecking order, but how on earth they could be considered bigger mystifies me.

[quote user="burnleyfan"][quote user="kdncfc"]

[quote user="claud"]If our club, with Lambert at the helm, is to be remotely successful again then we are going to have to get used to him being linked with every job that''s going at a ''bigger'' club. He might end up taking one of them, but I fully expect that he''ll be linked with/turn down more.[/quote]

If he was linked with a job at a bigger club I could accept it, even though Burnley do have a distant history they have been behind is in the pecking order for most of the last 35 years and even though they''re in the prem I still don''t see them as bigger than us.

[/quote]

Not come on here to argue but two divisions do seperate us.

Still would prefer not to poach another manager and surely us taking Lambert would not do his reputation any good?[/quote]It''s just bookie talk burnley.  Who would you like to see ?  Being a fan of a team currently in the prem, who do you think is the right candidate ?

Kdncfc, I agree with you about the bookies, and Lambert wont go, but to say we are a bigger club than Burnley is a bit wide of the mark.

Burnley has a lot of history, it also only has a population of 80,000 and has the highest population to fan fanbase in the country. They are also in the premiership, we are in league one, I would like to think of us as a bigger team than wigan who have a poor support {being a rugby town} and were in the non league not too long ago, sadly though we are not bigger than wigan and currently are not bigger than Burnley. If Burnley made a bid for Hoolahan would you deny him this move or is your thinking management based and not player based? Could you honestly deny any player in League One the chance to play in the Premiership? Look at Jermaine Beckford, poised for promotion with Leeds but set for Newcastle. And no im not trying to take the p;ss mate.

Wigan, Hull, Stoke, Burnley etc are in the premiership so yes they are bigger than Leeds at the minute.

Who has more pull in the transfer market, Leeds and Norwich in League One, or the lIke of Burnley, Stoke and Wigan in the Premiership?

Players and managers will choose the premiership over league one all the time, its the best and biggest league in the world mate.

This whole bigger than debate is relative to where clubs are likely to be over the next few years, and have been in the past few. In my view we''re not really much different to Burnley but aren''t as big as Wigan, let me explain.

In the past 5 years we''ve been in the same division as Burnley, all of that time considered bigger than them, and more attractive to prospective players/managers, next year/year after chances are we''ll be in the same league as them. Whilst they can lure better players (obviously) I don''t think managers will see them as being much better than us, if both positions were vacant they''d choose Burnley over us, all other things being equal such as pay etc, but a manager of Norwich wouldn''t have enough motivation to move to Burnley.

Wigan are different, they''ve established themselves in the Premiership and would be likely to return were they relegated (if we ignore DW losing interest in the club and not having the same money available). A manager will see them as a much more attractive option than us, regardless of their support.

[quote user="Arthur Whittle"]Wigan were a non league outfit till 1978, not that long ago, are they a smaller club than Norwich then mate?[/quote]Yes, absolutely.

the big club debate is something that only happens when teams fall from grace. every team deserves to be where they are at any given time.

the only teams that talk about how big their club is rather than how well it is doing in the league are leeds, forest, man city for a time about a decade ago, southampton, sheff weds, and now you lot.

bjg123, I can see where you are coming from, but the facts are, we could still be in this league next season and beyond while Burnley continue in the top flight.

MR_Chimp, do you seriously believe Norwich are bigger than Wigan? Who is more ambitious? Can we outbid Wigan for players? Can we offer players premiership football? Would a manager choose Norwich over Wigan? Dont think so mate. Wigan, Burnley etc are a premiership team because they have earned that right, they are not there by fluke or mistake, the same goes for Norwich, we are a League One club, not through a conspirecy or bad luck, because we deserve to be there. If we had a bad couple of seasons and done a Luton and ended up in League Two or the conference would you still consider City to be bigger than Wiga, Burnley etc???

[quote user="Arthur Whittle"]MR_Chimp, do you seriously believe Norwich are bigger than Wigan? Who is more ambitious? Can we outbid Wigan for players? Can we offer players premiership football? Would a manager choose Norwich over Wigan? Dont think so mate. Wigan, Burnley etc are a premiership team because they have earned that right, they are not there by fluke or mistake, the same goes for Norwich, we are a League One club, not through a conspirecy or bad luck, because we deserve to be there. If we had a bad couple of seasons and done a Luton and ended up in League Two or the conference would you still consider City to be bigger than Wiga, Burnley etc???[/quote]I think that yes, we are bigger than Wigan.  The other points have nothing to do with that.  Leeds, Forest, Saints etc. are all much bigger than Wigan.

Whats the point in arguing who is the bigger club. You are league one. Your big game is with Colchester this season.

Reading some of your posts I hope we stick clear of another potential ship jumping boss

[quote user="burnleyfan"]Whats the point in arguing who is the bigger club. You are league one. Your big game is with Colchester this season.

Reading some of your posts I hope we stick clear of another potential ship jumping boss[/quote]

Thanks for that, now go back to your tin pot forum with your tin top club etc etc....

lambert''s still drifting in the betting market - out to 7/2 now  - but hey, let''s not let this get in the way of a good old panic

Look mate, If you look through the archives you will see I used to have the same thinking as you, we were a bigger club blah blah blah. But relegation changed my thinking, nobody is bigger than the league they are in. you are in that league for a reason, you deserve to be there.

My last word on this subject is this.

You are only as big as the team you are playing..........we are at Home to Exeter saturday.

Says it all.

My final word on this big club little club crap.

[quote user="Darren Lamb.... Agent"][quote user="burnleyfan"]Whats the point in arguing who is the bigger club. You are league one. Your big game is with Colchester this season.

Reading some of your posts I hope we stick clear of another potential ship jumping boss[/quote]

Thanks for that, now go back to your tin pot forum with your tin top club etc etc....[/quote]

Look at the 16th. We''re going to Manchester United

You''re going to Colchester United.

[quote user="burnleyfan"][quote user="Darren Lamb.... Agent"][quote user="burnleyfan"]Whats the point in arguing who is the bigger club. You are league one. Your big game is with Colchester this season.

Thanks for that, now go back to your tin pot forum with your tin top club etc etc....[/quote]

You''re going to Colchester United.[/quote]And?Your not a big club just because you spend a year in the Premiership.

[quote user="burnleyfan"][quote user="Darren Lamb.... Agent"][quote user="burnleyfan"]Whats the point in arguing who is the bigger club. You are league one. Your big game is with Colchester this season. Reading some of your posts I hope we stick clear of another potential ship jumping boss[/quote] Thanks for that, now go back to your tin pot forum with your tin top club etc etc....[/quote] Look at the 16th. We''re going to Manchester United You''re going to Colchester United.[/quote]

if he was to go tho why is he buying these players etc still ??? surely he wudnt be all that bothered about getting all these players in etc.....

really dont want him to go !

[quote user="eddy melito"]the big club debate is something that only happens when teams fall from grace. every team deserves to be where they are at any given time. the only teams that talk about how big their club is rather than how well it is doing in the league are leeds, forest, man city for a time about a decade ago, southampton, sheff weds, and now you lot.[/quote]

Good point there Eddy.I am getting rather embarassed by this "we''re bigger than you" nonsense.So we have lots of fans,that''s great,but we''re still in the third bloody division!

First Post so here goes !

I can see him leaving , although I sincerely hope he doesn''t. The club are being naturally very guarded at the moment saying there has been no approach.

I think Paul Lambert has given this club what it has needed for years- focus on the field of play , whether he thinks Burnley is another step up is for him to say but the steps are slippery and we''ve run out of salt. Mike Walker - Everton ring any bells?  

[quote user="burnleyfan"]

You''re going to Colchester United.[/quote]Easy tiger, dont come in here throwing that kinda crap about.I mean.... where is Burnley anyway ?I couldnt find it on a map if i wanted to.... and your punching above your weight being in the Prem even.Hope your preparations are in place for Championship football next season, ours are ;)( But i will agree at the LOL whothehell are Colchester part )

Someone''s still putting money on Lambert though. His odds keep shortening. He''s at evens with Skybet, and almost evens with BetFred and Paddypower. I think there must eb something in it. Hopefully not too much though.

http://www.oddschecker.com/football/football-specials/burnley-specials/next-permanent-manager

Worrying reading to be honest. It would appear (well...i''m guessing) that they''re probably interested at the least.

[quote user="Nexus_Canary"][quote user="burnleyfan"]

You''re going to Colchester United.[/quote]Easy tiger, dont come in here throwing that kinda crap about.I mean.... where is Burnley anyway ?I couldnt find it on a map if i wanted to.... and your punching above your weight being in the Prem even.Hope your preparations are in place for Championship football next season, ours are ;)( But i will agree at the LOL whothehell are Colchester part )[/quote]To be fair, he was defending his club against the pitchfork wielding yokels who think we''re bigger than Burnley because we won the League Cup and once beat Bayern Munich.  Whether on history or current form, Burnley are the bigger club.