Sign in to follow this  
Sir Ecat

School Teachers at Carrow Road Today

[quote user="Buckethead"]Lord Horn.

Is this perceived blight upon the teaching profession an inevitability of permitting the working classes acces to a University education?
[/quote]

Absolutely, my teaching by failed WWII veterans who mainly graced the catering corps has held me in good stead for a number of years - taught me how to blag my way through life and career....toodle pip!

Does nexus include himself in the majority of teachers he says are lousy?

It was not all that long ago that to become a teacher, all you had to do was apply for the job. College certainly was not required. The edu-crats have tried to turn teaching into something way different than what it is, the result being that teachers waste way more time on useless "professional development" seminars and pointless paper work in the class. Any time students have a day off for teacher training, I tell them that we all suck and they are going to show us how we should be doing our jobs.

Being a skeptic and sarcastic makes these seminars a laugh riot. If you sit with the right group of teachers, it is non-stop laughing at the ridiculous conepts they try to flog. One time we were told to play "new age" music in class! I asked another teacher if I could borrow his new age CDs since I didn''t have anyone and the place blew up with laughter. WHO HAS NEW AGE MUSIC? I mean, really! The bad teachers are the ones who try to implement all these seminar lessons into their teaching. If you can''t teach, a seminar isn''t going to help. You can either do it, or you can''t. Being a decent teacher is innate, but the people in charge have tried to turn it into something way more than that which has gotten our education systems into the mess they are. No red ink, social promotions, don''t tell students their work is not good, reward for trying, namby pamny nonsense. If you are honest with them and they care, they will do better. If you are honest and they don''t care, then being nicey nice won''t make them care, it just gives them a way to play the system.

[quote user="Lord Horn"]

[quote user="paul moy"]There''s a good argument to extend this school term by a week or so to allow pupils to catch up and teachers to make up their lost days. Most private industry folk will be working time in lieu for days taken off for snow, so it''s only fair isn''t it that the public sector do the same.  [/quote]

...and what job is it that you do again Mr Moy????

[/quote]

I would say that your question is rather irrelevant to this argument Lord Horn. [:D]

Thoroughly enjoyed reading all the informed observations about those of us fortunate to teach. Theres no doubt I consider myself very fortunate to have spent my working life teaching. I do a job I love, its pretty well paid, and it has been rewarding to see the majority of pupils make good progress and get on in life. I''ve worked with some great colleagues and have been able to take early retirement on a good pension. I still teach part - time (not because I have to but want to), and have time to enjoy following the canaries and getting into the gym to try and keep fit! Of course like all the contributors on this forum I had a choice regarding what career to follow, and was prepared to undertake whatever training was necessary to achieve it. I was also lucky enough to have the qualities required to teach and manage a class of thirty plus 16 year olds, and to take on senior management responsibilities as my career progressed. So if some of the contributors on this forum are cheesed off that teachers have such a great job with fringe benefits, and actually enjoy what we do, then get applying for training, but make sure you can not only control a group of thirty plus 16 year olds last thing on a Friday, but also have the subject knowledge and teaching ability to keep them interested. Finally, try not to get all bitter and twisted about a job you know nothing about, and in return I''ll not comment on your occupation. OTBC!

"its pretty well paid" - that''s a first, I don''t think I have ever heard a teacher say that. Out of curiosity. what was your last annual salary and is your pension scheme a "final salary" scheme ? My experience of teachers is that some were good and some were poor but then that''s the same in any walk of life. I didn''t go into teaching at the time I was making my career choice because the money wasn''t good enough and I didn''t regard it as sufficient of a vocation to compromise on my quality of life.

Nice to read a reasoned response. I didn''t go into teaching in 1972 for the money, but it was a career I always wanted to enter. Twenty years into my career I became a senior manager and the salary reflected the additional responsibilities, so by the time I retired I had accumulated a good final pension and lumpsum. Its a face that the teachers pension scheme is one of the best, but we do contribute to it from day one of starting the job. I use to manage new entrants into teaching and know that the vast majority work very hard for what they earn, and managing pupils takes real skill and subject knowledge. Most parents I chat to wouldn''t swap their job for teaching, and are petrified at the prospect of a class full of teenagers!

So you must be in your late fifties I guess. I would love to take early retirement on a decent pension and spend more time doing things that I want to do but I made my bed and I''ve got to lie in it ! It''s not too bad really but what you have to factor into the equation when you read people''s opinions about teachers is the good old fashioned green eyed monster of jealousy ! Good luck to you is what I say and, yes, you are right, the thought of getting up every day and having to face and try and motivate 30 16yr olds at 9.00 every day of my working life scares the hell out of me ! My dad was a teacher and I know how much time he spent working every evening and at weekends so I know the old "well, teachers have a short working day and look at their long holidays" nonsense is just that.

Why do you feel the need to defend your profession on a football forum.

Athough I may well be mistaken, this thread seems rather antagonistic to me.

Im pleased you enjoy your career though, hopefully Il enjoy mine too, whatever that may be (off to uni next year), 8+ hours a day is a big chunk of your life to be doing something you hate! :)

I never agreed with all the teacher bashing that went on this site. My daughter is ateacher and works very hard and most of my memories of school so far as teachers go are fond ones. There are good and bad in any job and it is not appropriate to make wide generalisations against any profession or other group/Nationalitiy etc. I do think in the longer term the issue of pensions will change. I am fortunate to have also worked in the public sector and as such have a final salary scheme. Many youngsters now have no scheme at all and many many others, decent working people in the private sector have poor ones and the balance between public and private sector schemes is too wide and unfair. An analogy to be frank is that the public sector pension provision is not sustainable in the same way  as footballers wages are not. well done to the teachers and everyone else that works hard with the exception of the fat cat bankers at the very top!

Definately not meant to sound antagonistic Forever Yellow; just making a point to those who state teaching is a breeze. I''ve had to listen to these clowns for the past 38 years; time to change the record.