Sign in to follow this  
Sir Ecat

School Teachers at Carrow Road Today

[quote user="Fernando Derveld"]Snow or no snow, I''d consider heading back to school this week, if I were you.As a pupil, obviously.[/quote]You part of the Watchmen or something ?Only i cant help thinking your a comedian..............

Look mate, i dont come into McDonalds and tell you how to do your job do I ?

BTW it is being suggested, as happens in some parts of the USA that days lost to snow should be deducted from other school holidays. What do you think of that!

[quote user="mnc"][quote user="RUDOLPH HUCKER"]Kids or no kids there is nothing to stop teachers taking themselves to their work places and finding things to do.[/quote]Teachers will have had plenty of school work to be getting on with at home as the majority take home a whole boot full of stuff every night anyway.[/quote]Hello hello hello what''s all this then, taking home a whole boot of stuff every night? This might go a long way to explaining why a teacher friend of ours has managed to build a life sized replica of the Kremlin in his back garden using nothing more than rulers, rubber bands, paperclips and copies of "Lord of The Flies".

[quote user="RUDOLPH HUCKER"]Nexus, I''ll ignore the grammar and just ask why teachers should not report to their place of work, kids or no kids?[/quote]Frankly any and all of my work that is not teaching based ie: lesson planning and scheme writing can be done from home.The only reason Id have to go to work would be to pick up any essays or work that I could mark.Also schools dont close because the teachers cant make it to work. Teachers like any other professional will struggle or not depending where they live. Im sure doctors, engineers, office workers etc have all made it into work or not because of the snow.The schools are closed because the site manager / head caretaker has "rulled" that the site is unsafe.The Head teacher will generally do all in his power to open but will conceed to the site manager because of this little thing called Health and Safety.

See if the school opens and there is heavy snow or ice, little Jimmy sneaks out at break time ( despite being told the play ground is out of bounds cos of the ice ) little Jimmy then falls on his fat ass and breaks it having to go to A&E.Now little Jimmys mater and pater belive little Jimmy is an angel and dont think he would EVER not do what hes told. Sooooooo the fact he broke his ass is evidently the schools fault.IF they knew there was all this ice then they should have closed.Insert court caseInsert Media coverage , perhaps nationalInsert local if not national enquiryInsert Fecking big head ache for all involvedIm afraid its the world we live in now and it has nothing to do with lazyness mate.

[quote user="RUDOLPH HUCKER"]BTW it is being suggested, as happens in some parts of the USA that days lost to snow should be deducted from other school holidays. What do you think of that![/quote]Have you ever tried teaching ?you think its 9 - 3 ??My average day is work from 8 am - 9 pm as i have to plan lessons and make sure that the effort i am about to put into educating kids is the best i can possibly do.If ive got essays to mark or coursework i might well lose my weekend.On average my "big friday night out" involves a beer and a pizza with some mates and in bed by 9 - 10 cos im whooped from work.Then sat i have to do mundane stuff like shoppingthen Sunday ive gotta plan for monday...Some of you people really need to stop pissing and moaning about pay / holidays etc teachers get. Try the job and 9 out of 10 of you would fail as teenagers especially are hard work in schools.Im not saying i could do your job but i bet you couldnt do mine !Simple.

[quote user="RUDOLPH HUCKER"]BTW it is being suggested, as happens in some parts of the USA that days lost to snow should be deducted from other school holidays. What do you think of that![/quote]For the record I think that is a Fecking joke and you would see the unions go mad.Then you would be complaining cos we were picketing instead of teaching ;)

I heard a health and safety expert remark this week that when people cite health and safety they actually mean ''I don''t know.''

All health and safety requires is ''reasonable'' actions to deal with risk, nothing is ever absolute and there needs to be a policy - what do NCC advise?

I wrote an ironic thread about the compensation culture families but quite honestly a number of teachers, like others in the public service need to ''grow some'' and articulate their decisions and be positive in those decisions.

Do you know of any stated cases of compensation paid for children suffering injuries in snowed up schools?

There is also a vicious circle here as one school in an area will not open because others are closed and they fear this will weigh against them. How is it then that a few schools go against the grain?

[quote user="RUDOLPH HUCKER"]I heard a health and safety expert remark this week that when people cite health and safety they actually mean ''I don''t know.''

All health and safety requires is ''reasonable'' actions to deal with risk, nothing is ever absolute and there needs to be a policy - what do NCC advise?

I wrote an ironic thread about the compensation culture families but quite honestly a number of teachers, like others in the public service need to ''grow some'' and articulate their decisions and be positive in those decisions.

Do you know of any stated cases of compensation paid for children suffering injuries in snowed up schools?

There is also a vicious circle here as one school in an area will not open because others are closed and they fear this will weigh against them. How is it then that a few schools go against the grain?[/quote]Last year we actually did the opposite and you have it completely wrong.If one decides to open ( and it was us ) the others feel the pressure and open as well so they are not tarnished.Im thinking a lot of your facts come from news papers as you seem to have grasped things you want from this arguement rather than actually having any particular knowledge about the subject.For example, what job do you do if you dont mind me asking ?I am a 13- 19 English Teacher and extreme learning difficulties co-oridinator.As for "how safe is safe" or health and safety, our site manager kicks off if we put a chair in front of a fire exit.The thing is we are dealing with children here for the most part so the government is hot up our asses for numbers of reasons. We have to have a full advanced CRB before we even step into a building. I know a lady who had "public indency" on her record. She had flashed her boobs while drunk at uni and was arrested for it. This "crime" was commited 10 years previous to her application to work in schools and because of this she failed her CRB.The issue here is the conditions. When STUDENTS not teachers cant get to school because its to dangerous or because the school site is to dangerous.You cant control kids, anyone claiming you can is stupid. Maybe if your lucky you will have a degree of control over your own off spring but as a teacher all of my "control" comes through earning respect from the kids. They do what i tell them because they choose to not because of fear or because im a teacher. Anyone going into it like that will fail.I could tell some of the smartest kids not to go throw snow balls at break and when your 14 and half the school is gonna do it, they will still do it.When they get hit with Ice its the parents that complain and the schools that get the trouble.Blame our "blame" culture if you need to point the finger.Not schools or education.Again, i respectfully want to know what you do for a living and if you honestly think you could hack it as a teacher.

It''s hard to pick one side in this debate and stick to it.  I am a teacher but not in England.  My school has shut down for approaching hurricanes, one of which hit us head on and closed things down for 2 weeks while power was being restored to the city, the previous one in which 99%+ of the population left town (but not me because my house is built to withstand level 3s and this one was level 1 or 2, and I also knew our elevation was sufficient to withstand any storm surge which never happened anyways).  We closed early last month when snow came and there was worry the roads might ice up.  It took hours for snow to accumulate, but it was an early start to the weekend although I didn''t leave campus until my normal time.  None of this closure was based on teachers.  When we missed the 2 weeks, we did have to make up a couple of days when we would have otherwise had days off, but it would have been ridiculous to try to make up the entire time in summer when students and teachers already had trips planned and paid for. Normally if we miss a day for bad weather, we make it up on one of those teacher work days, so really it''s only the students losing a day off.

In our district, the high schools work 7AM to 3PM with 30 minutes for lunch and a 45 minute conference period to call parents or counsellors or what not.  On top of this, we have to make lesson plans, although I share with all the others who teach the same classes as me.  We take turns entering them into the computer, and then I teach what I want, not the feel-good nonsense we are told has t be part of the plan.  They are big on games, folding papers and writing on them, students moving from station to station taking notes and that sort of stuff.  It works well in Utopia, but in the real world few learn much of anything and most learn nothing.  When it comes time to prepare for state testing, we abandon all these researched methods that supposedly work so well (researched by people with PhDs in Education, a.k.a. gullible simpltons) for teaching that everyone knows works, lecture and "drill and kill".   If you are willing to "play the game" as I call it, you can still be an effective teacher if you really are a teacher.  That''s what I am, and that''s why my students generally leave my class with a smile.  I turn something that is mind numbingly boring into something that is interesting or that indirectly relates to them.  Add in a couple of weak punchlines and suddenly they have learned how the 7 Yrs War lead to the American Revolution, where the term "landlord" comes from or that early Olympics involved skills useful in battle, not rythmic gymnastics, and were done naked by men (cue wresltling joke). 

If you feel people have to "stick it" as a teacher, then maybe they should not be teachers. I''ve worked for some pretty lame brained administrators, but my policy is to keep a low profile and focus on the imparting information.  They don''t bother me, I don''t ask them for things the district doesn''t allow and then get bent out of shape when they say "no", my students do well on the state tests, and we''re all relatively happy.  I love the vacation time, I no longer work nearly as hard as  I used to since this is my 4th year teaching the same subject so I know what works and what doesn''t, and I get paid a decent salary although it is populist to complain about how hard done by teachers are in the country.  

The highest rated teachers are often those who "play the game" the best, but don''t actually teach much.  The admin loves the way they get excited about lame things, and how they keep records of all their parent contacts and how many times Johnny left to the toilet each grading period. Teachers get to vote on the campus best teacher, but I have no idea who is good because I don''t watch them since I''m busy working.  When the students hear who it is, more often than not, if they have had that teacher before they will mention how they didn''t learn anything in that class.  Their favorite teachers are the ones who don''t ask much of them and let them screw around.  I will never win anything, and that''s how I want it - low profile.  The only non-low profile thing I do is collect Xmas money from students for 2 weeks for a charity, and the class that donates the most gets to give me a haircut after their semester exam.  Even then, I don''t tell anyone else about it but students talk. 

[quote user="Nexus_Canary"][quote user="RUDOLPH HUCKER"]I heard a health and safety expert remark this week that when people cite health and safety they actually mean ''I don''t know.'' All health and safety requires is ''reasonable'' actions to deal with risk, nothing is ever absolute and there needs to be a policy - what do NCC advise? I wrote an ironic thread about the compensation culture families but quite honestly a number of teachers, like others in the public service need to ''grow some'' and articulate their decisions and be positive in those decisions. Do you know of any stated cases of compensation paid for children suffering injuries in snowed up schools? There is also a vicious circle here as one school in an area will not open because others are closed and they fear this will weigh against them. How is it then that a few schools go against the grain?[/quote]

Last year we actually did the opposite and you have it completely wrong.
If one decides to open ( and it was us ) the others feel the pressure and open as well so they are not tarnished.
Im thinking a lot of your facts come from news papers as you seem to have grasped things you want from this arguement rather than actually having any particular knowledge about the subject.
For example, what job do you do if you dont mind me asking ?
I am a 13- 19 English Teacher and extreme learning difficulties co-oridinator.

As for "how safe is safe" or health and safety, our site manager kicks off if we put a chair in front of a fire exit.
The thing is we are dealing with children here for the most part so the government is hot up our asses for numbers of reasons. We have to have a full advanced CRB before we even step into a building. I know a lady who had "public indency" on her record. She had flashed her boobs while drunk at uni and was arrested for it. This "crime" was commited 10 years previous to her application to work in schools and because of this she failed her CRB.

The issue here is the conditions.
When STUDENTS not teachers cant get to school because its to dangerous or because the school site is to dangerous.
You cant control kids, anyone claiming you can is stupid. Maybe if your lucky you will have a degree of control over your own off spring but as a teacher all of my "control" comes through earning respect from the kids. They do what i tell them because they choose to not because of fear or because im a teacher. Anyone going into it like that will fail.
I could tell some of the smartest kids not to go throw snow balls at break and when your 14 and half the school is gonna do it, they will still do it.
When they get hit with Ice its the parents that complain and the schools that get the trouble.

Blame our "blame" culture if you need to point the finger.
Not schools or education.

Again, i respectfully want to know what you do for a living and if you honestly think you could hack it as a teacher.

[/quote]

Nexus, I simply pointed out a few of your errors to help you in the future consider how you might improve your own standards so as not to risk negatively impacting so many others.. There are other mistakes as well if you care to check. In my case I''m retired but, prior to retirement, on occasions when I hired young people entering the workplace I was appalled at the poor grammar and spelling experienced with new hires. If you, as an English teacher, are an example of the kind of teaching that is occurring today I can understand why those that leave school do so in such a poorly equipped state.   

[quote user="Nexus_Canary"]Fact you live in the USA speaks volumes.
[/quote]

I don''t think so. Whereas your response speaks volumes about your attitude. Perhaps you would do well to have some healthy exchanges with Houston as a fellow teacher. His attitude seems to be very healthy and he can certainly spell far better than you can. 

[quote user="YankeeCanary"]

I don''t think so. Whereas your response speaks volumes about your attitude. Perhaps you would do well to have some healthy exchanges with Houston as a fellow teacher. His attitude seems to be very healthy and he can certainly spell far better than you can. 

[/quote]Im sick of morons talking about things they dont have a clue about so i thought id be equally as dumb.

Being the spelling police is often the first sign of a lost argument.

We all find our work difficult at times. If it was easy they wouldn''t pay us for it.

I choose to be a teacher and have been for 15 years. It has it''s perks. It has it''s problems as do all of our jobs.

Let''s move on and talk about football now please and let this thread disappear.

[quote user="RUDOLPH HUCKER"]Nexus, I suggest you stop using that shovel to dig a hole for yourself and put it to better use at your school.

Have the last word if you like.[/quote]last word

I can imagine the loud chorus of "NO" if all the non-teachers on this board were phoned up in the morning by their boss and told not to come to work.

[quote user="YankeeCanary"]

[quote user="Nexus_Canary"]Fact you live in the USA speaks volumes.
[/quote]

[/quote]

VOLUMES. I''ve certainly learnt a lot from a teacher tonight in these non football related posts. If someone reveals their profession they are then representing that profession inadvertently or not. In my opinion Nexus cannot complain if he reads comments he doesn''t like about schools or teachers because he has done nothing but harm their reputations.

I am undecided if he has helped or hindered teaching recruitment though, there seems to be good argument for both.

Back to the subject now I think.

[quote user="The gut"][quote user="YankeeCanary"]

[quote user="Nexus_Canary"]Fact you live in the USA speaks volumes.[/quote]

[/quote]

VOLUMES. I''ve certainly learnt a lot from a teacher tonight in these non football related posts. If someone reveals their profession they are then representing that profession inadvertently or not. In my opinion Nexus cannot complain if he reads comments he doesn''t like about schools or teachers because he has done nothing but harm their reputations.

I am undecided if he has helped or hindered teaching recruitment though, there seems to be good argument for both.

[/quote]With any luck ive hindered it badly, there are already to many idiots sayingOh we have a recession ill become a teacherAnd the majority are lousy at it.

[quote user="Nexus_Canary"][quote user="The gut"][quote user="YankeeCanary"]

[quote user="Nexus_Canary"]Fact you live in the USA speaks volumes.[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

With any luck ive hindered it badly, there are already to many idiots sayingOh we have a recession ill become a teacherAnd the majority are lousy at it.[/quote]This has been a good non-football related thread.I''ve several friends and relatives who are teachers and people who think they do a six hour day and get twelve weeks off to laze around are sadly mistaken. Teaching today is hard work with long hours but strangely enough that didn''t seem to be the case years ago. I know two people who started teaching in the early 1970''s and they rarely, if ever, brought work home in the evenings or did much planning during holiday breaks. With all the new fangled monitoring of children''s progress - which seems to start almost as soon as they leave the maternity ward - there is a lot more paperwork to be completed. If all this really does improve '' desirable outcomes '' then I do wonder how most of us who left school in the 20th century ever learned anything......I do agree with Nexus_Canary that there plenty of poor teachers but it seems to me that providing they make the right noises the poor ones end up in management positions within the school and the really poor ones become OFSTED inspectors.Regarding spelling and punctuation it''s reasonable I think for peaople on here to be curious that you, as an English teacher Nexus _ Canary, post on here in the style you do.

There''s a good argument to extend this school term by a week or so to allow pupils to catch up and teachers to make up their lost days. Most private industry folk will be working time in lieu for days taken off for snow, so it''s only fair isn''t it that the public sector do the same.  

[quote user="Nexus_Canary"]With any luck ive hindered it badly, there are already to many idiots sayingOh we have a recession ill become a teacherAnd the majority are lousy at it.[/quote]2/10: see me after class. Here''s a correct version:
With any luck, I will have hindered teaching recruitment quite significantly. There are already too many idiots saying:
"Oh, we are in a recession, I''ll become a teacher."
The problem is that the majority of these individuals are lousy at teaching.
Like I said, back to your studies. For the prosperity of the next generation, we cannot afford to have you anywhere near the curriculum.

[quote user="Fernando Derveld"][quote user="Nexus_Canary"]With any luck ive hindered it badly, there are already to many idiots sayingOh we have a recession ill become a teacherAnd the majority are lousy at it.[/quote]2/10: see me after class. Here''s a correct version:
With any luck, I will have hindered teaching recruitment quite significantly. There are already too many idiots saying:
"Oh, we are in a recession, I''ll become a teacher."
The problem is that the majority of these individuals are lousy at teaching.
Like I said, back to your studies. For the prosperity of the next generation, we cannot afford to have you anywhere near the curriculum.[/quote]Didn''t Nexus say he was an English teacher as well, God help us?! I''m just waiting for Godwin''s Law to kick in again too... [;)]

[quote user="Buckethead"][quote user="I.S."]Didn''t Nexus say he was an English teacher as well, God help us?! I''m just waiting for Godwin''s Law to kick in again too... [;)][/quote]Another thread about teachersSixth post down.[:D][/quote][:D]Evidently, if arguing your case gets a bit too tough, just call people Nazis and have a little cry. I don''t know about you, but that''s EXACTLY what I want my kids to be taught when they go to school.

[quote user="I.S."][quote user="Buckethead"][quote user="I.S."]Didn''t Nexus say he was an English teacher as well, God help us?! I''m just waiting for Godwin''s Law to kick in again too... [;)][/quote]Another thread about teachersSixth post down.[:D][/quote][:D]Evidently, if arguing your case gets a bit too tough, just call people Nazis and have a little cry. I don''t know about you, but that''s EXACTLY what I want my kids to be taught when they go to school.[/quote]It''s obviously going to happen because all teachers are inherently Commies.

(He said ducking)[:D]

[quote user="paul moy"]There''s a good argument to extend this school term by a week or so to allow pupils to catch up and teachers to make up their lost days. Most private industry folk will be working time in lieu for days taken off for snow, so it''s only fair isn''t it that the public sector do the same.  [/quote]

...and what job is it that you do again Mr Moy????