Sign in to follow this  
Sir Ecat

School Teachers at Carrow Road Today

How is it that when I was at school we never got days off for snow?  We had to walk in from home 2 miles away with snow almost coming to the tops of your wellies, teachers made it in, kids made it in, parents went off to work, everyone happy.

Actually I did a very good job and enjoyed it. And I assure you that whilst it was challenging and required some hard work it was a walk in the park compared to the hours I do now. I did not leave because I was not any good but because I found a higher calling...

[quote user="jas the barclay king"]

[quote user="kilroyslefteyebrow"]As a teacher I thank you for your sincere concern and would like to let you know that I am OK. If your posts are a sarcastic dig at school closures then I would let you know that most schools make the decision to close in adverse weather conditions because they are terrified of litigation should any of your darlings fall and hurt themselves on school premises. Most parents are complaining about the school closures round here because it means that they actually have to look after their own kids for a change and cant spend the day in the pub and shop lifting.[/quote]

enjoying the 40 grand a year and 12 weeks holiday?

[/quote]

I only get paid when I work. Short term contracts. If I don''t work, I don''t get paid. I also do not get paid holidays at all.

[quote user="WeAreYellows49"]

How is it that when I was at school we never got days off for snow?  We had to walk in from home 2 miles away with snow almost coming to the tops of your wellies, teachers made it in, kids made it in, parents went off to work, everyone happy.

[/quote]

So true !! I can remember 1963 vividly. 

[quote user="WeAreYellows49"]

[/quote]

Litigation, dumbing down and a nanny state caused by successive Government, WAY.Mainly Labour.

[quote user="kilroyslefteyebrow"][quote user="jas the barclay king"]

[quote user="kilroyslefteyebrow"]As a teacher I thank you for your sincere concern and would like to let you know that I am OK. If your posts are a sarcastic dig at school closures then I would let you know that most schools make the decision to close in adverse weather conditions because they are terrified of litigation should any of your darlings fall and hurt themselves on school premises. Most parents are complaining about the school closures round here because it means that they actually have to look after their own kids for a change and cant spend the day in the pub and shop lifting.[/quote]

enjoying the 40 grand a year and 12 weeks holiday?

[/quote] I only get paid when I work. Short term contracts. If I don''t work, I don''t get paid. I also do not get paid holidays at all.[/quote]

Same here. It''s time to kick the nanny state into touch and at least deduct a percentage of pay for ''snow'' absenteeism.  

[quote user="Sir Ecat"]A well deserved mention to all the Norfolk school teachers who so bravely ventured out today to watch the match at Carrow Road. It can''t have been easy having to dig yourselves out of your snow bound houses and we salute your sterling efforts.

Have a safe journey home and look after yourselves next week. We all appreciate how hard it is travelling in this weather especially when there are so few options beyond car, bus, train, walk. If any readers on this forum live near any teachers then do knock on their door to make sure they are coping OK and see if there is any shopping or essentials they need. God bless em![/quote]Surely you mean head teachers? Teachers don''t make the decision to close the schools. Infact my partner who is a teacher was at her school when her head teacher decided to close it on Thursday. There is more to it than the teachers being able to make it into school.As for them being slackers. 12-14 hour days is not unusual for a teacher these days. And that is just the time spent at school. A lot of marking is done at home and many teachers dont earn what a policeman or Dr earn.I bet there are plenty of people on here who earn as much for doing a lot less. As for slackers, in my experience electricians are the biggest slackers. Get paid a huge hourly rate and work as slowly as they can and have more cups of tea than you would see in one afternoon at a WI gathering!

[quote user="crafty canary"]I''d also like to thank all the dustmen who have not been near since before Christmas. [/quote]Where the hell do you live then? My bins have been collected on time every week and our binmen actually knocked on the door of a couple of our neighbours when they hadn''t put their bins out on the rescheduled collection days over Christmas. Lovely chaps.......if a little smelly [;)]

[quote user="Shyster"][quote user="WeAreYellows49"]

[/quote]

Litigation[/quote]I''ve amended your post for you Shyster mate.1/10 - See me after class [;)]

[quote user="Shack Attack"][quote user="crafty canary"]I''d also like to thank all the dustmen who have not been near since before Christmas. [/quote]Where the hell do you live then? My bins have been collected on time every week and our binmen actually knocked on the door of a couple of our neighbours when they hadn''t put their bins out on the rescheduled collection days over Christmas. Lovely chaps.......if a little smelly [;)][/quote]

They were knocking on doors because they''re after Christmas tip money, Shack. I can guarantee they''d have left the bins otherwise.

I work in schools

I love my snow days, no heating days, shedloads of holiday and free trips abroad.

I work hard, often into the evenings and weekends for no extra, and planning through holidays.

If OFSTED call, I will be expected to be in school from sparrow fart AM until long after most of our kids are in bed.

I don`t give a toss what jealous others think.

I will probably be off on Monday again.

Enjoy your struggle to work [:D][:D][:P]

[quote user="Shyster"][quote user="Shack Attack"][quote user="crafty canary"]I''d also like to thank all the dustmen who have not been near since before Christmas. [/quote]Where the hell do you live then? My bins have been collected on time every week and our binmen actually knocked on the door of a couple of our neighbours when they hadn''t put their bins out on the rescheduled collection days over Christmas. Lovely chaps.......if a little smelly [;)][/quote]

They were knocking on doors because they''re after Christmas tip money, Shack. I can guarantee they''d have left the bins otherwise.[/quote]They have done the same thing previously when there''s been a Bank Holiday. Do people really tip bin men?

Its the no-heating days that wind me up... this week my kids were off school Tuesday and Wednesday, which was to be expected given the conditions up here... but they returned back on Thursday, all good... until we find after school that was going to be closed again on Friday for a ''burst pipe''... are our school buildings so poorly built that at the first sign of bad weather, the pipes and heating all burst, freeze or completely stop working?  Meanwhile, most other public and larger private buildings carry on as normal.  What''s so special about schools that their plumbing can never cope?  Its things like this that make parents like me think that its just done for the sake of an extra day''s holiday... (and yes, I know how hard teachers work, an ex of mine is training to be one and she works harder than anyone I know).

I''m a school governor and if any teachers at my school think they are getting paid when they don''t turn up, they have a shock coming next week!

[quote user="Evil Monkey"]Its the no-heating days that wind me up... this week my kids were off school Tuesday and Wednesday, which was to be expected given the conditions up here... but they returned back on Thursday, all good... until we find after school that was going to be closed again on Friday for a ''burst pipe''... are our school buildings so poorly built that at the first sign of bad weather, the pipes and heating all burst, freeze or completely stop working?  Meanwhile, most other public and larger private buildings carry on as normal.  What''s so special about schools that their plumbing can never cope?  Its things like this that make parents like me think that its just done for the sake of an extra day''s holiday... (and yes, I know how hard teachers work, an ex of mine is training to be one and she works harder than anyone I know).
[/quote]

In a word....yes!!

Education spending never has enough in the pot for this type of thing.

[quote user="whoareyou"]I''m a school governor and if any teachers at my school think they are getting paid when they don''t turn up, they have a shock coming next week![/quote]

That`ll be an argument you`ll be having with the union then?

[quote user="Shyster"]My parents do, but then they live in Thorpe End Garden Village.[/quote]That post was in reply to Shack by the way.

[quote user="McCanary"]

[quote user="Evil Monkey"]Its the no-heating days that wind me up... this week my kids were off school Tuesday and Wednesday, which was to be expected given the conditions up here... but they returned back on Thursday, all good... until we find after school that was going to be closed again on Friday for a ''burst pipe''... are our school buildings so poorly built that at the first sign of bad weather, the pipes and heating all burst, freeze or completely stop working?  Meanwhile, most other public and larger private buildings carry on as normal.  What''s so special about schools that their plumbing can never cope?  Its things like this that make parents like me think that its just done for the sake of an extra day''s holiday... (and yes, I know how hard teachers work, an ex of mine is training to be one and she works harder than anyone I know).[/quote]

In a word....yes!!

[/quote]Sounds like the quality of school plumbing is on a par with the ability of the average teacher to operate a TV...

Haven''t seen a postman since Tuesday!

When I was out and about today, most of the world, civilised or not, seemed to be out-crowding the trains, using the road, packing out the shops-a crush of crowds, packed out everywhere you look, everyone showing off their ski sticks (FFS!) and new coats...

...how many of those people will ring in on Monday morning and say "ahhh, its the snow, can''t get out of the house, sorry..." -a fair few, probably!

Chicken  As for slackers, in my experience electricians are the

biggest slackers. Get paid a huge hourly rate and work as slowly as

they can and have more cups of tea than you would see in one afternoon

at a WI gathering!Us sparkies are not slackers and we charge an highish, so it seems hourly rate because we have to buy expensive VDE handtools, drills, testers, get part p, van upkeep ect.. this is certainly not cheap we have to find £600 a year to keep part p registered, pay out for our testers to be calibrated and if they fail get them repaird or buy new set costing £700+ for a decent kit, do silly update courses every so often, get insured £1000+, hand tools are not cheap roughly £30 for vde screwdrivers, £15 for side cutters, £400 for sds drills which has to be pat tested yearly along with chasing machines, van up keep. and unfortuantly we have to pass these costs on to the customers. Most of us actually don''t work slow we do our work to good standard if a sparky rushes then you can expect problems later on with a loose terminal which might cause an breaker to nuisence trip. It certainly not clean work either i very often come out of lofts black, and sweating my nuts off, so a couple of teas are thankfully appreciated during working.As for teachers when i was at school a couple of mine would just sit there and often sleep and eat and drink. I never missed a day due to snow, but mainy teachers wouldn''t turn up and we had to do self study in the hall with 2 teachers looking after about 5 different classes. 

[quote user="Evil Monkey"][quote user="McCanary"]

[quote user="Evil Monkey"]Its the no-heating days that wind me up... this week my kids were off school Tuesday and Wednesday, which was to be expected given the conditions up here... but they returned back on Thursday, all good... until we find after school that was going to be closed again on Friday for a ''burst pipe''... are our school buildings so poorly built that at the first sign of bad weather, the pipes and heating all burst, freeze or completely stop working?  Meanwhile, most other public and larger private buildings carry on as normal.  What''s so special about schools that their plumbing can never cope?  Its things like this that make parents like me think that its just done for the sake of an extra day''s holiday... (and yes, I know how hard teachers work, an ex of mine is training to be one and she works harder than anyone I know).
[/quote]

In a word....yes!!

[/quote]
Sounds like the quality of school plumbing is on a par with the ability of the average teacher to operate a TV...
[/quote]

?????????

[quote user="McCanary"][quote user="Evil Monkey"]Sounds like the quality of school plumbing is on a par with the ability of the average teacher to operate a TV...[/quote]????????[/quote]Surely I''m not the only one who was always astounded at school by the inability of the teacher to get a video working in class... there they were surrounded by 10 year old''s who could probably wire up a telly and VCR, but instead struggled on and took half an hour just to get a fuzzy picture?? Just me??

[quote user="smiley"]Chicken  As for slackers, in my experience electricians are the

at a WI gathering!Us sparkies are not slackers and we charge an highish, so it seems hourly rate because we have to buy expensive VDE handtools, drills, testers, get part p, van upkeep ect.. this is certainly not cheap we have to find £600 a year to keep part p registered, pay out for our testers to be calibrated and if they fail get them repaird or buy new set costing £700+ for a decent kit, do silly update courses every so often, get insured £1000+, hand tools are not cheap roughly £30 for vde screwdrivers, £15 for side cutters, £400 for sds drills which has to be pat tested yearly along with chasing machines, van up keep. and unfortuantly we have to pass these costs on to the customers. Most of us actually don''t work slow we do our work to good standard if a sparky rushes then you can expect problems later on with a loose terminal which might cause an breaker to nuisence trip. It certainly not clean work either i very often come out of lofts black, and sweating my nuts off, so a couple of teas are thankfully appreciated during working.As for teachers when i was at school a couple of mine would just sit there and often sleep and eat and drink. I never missed a day due to snow, but mainy teachers wouldn''t turn up and we had to do self study in the hall with 2 teachers looking after about 5 different classes.  [/quote]

Pah!Any of you people considered how many hours and sheer toil your average chef puts in? 13 hour days 7 days a week are not unheard of and many of ''em are paid poxy salaries that don''t include the overtime.I put those kinds of hours in for nigh on 22 years until my labour came to fruition with the hard earned leaseholds on couple of restaurants where I put in even more hours. Only when those restaurants became successful could I alleviate my working week by employing trustworthy staff.Work! Most of you f*ckers don''t know the meaning of the word.

[quote user="smiley"]Chicken  As for slackers, in my experience electricians are the

at a WI gathering!Us sparkies are not slackers and we charge an highish, so it seems hourly rate because we have to buy expensive VDE handtools, drills, testers, get part p, van upkeep ect.. this is certainly not cheap we have to find £600 a year to keep part p registered, pay out for our testers to be calibrated and if they fail get them repaird or buy new set costing £700+ for a decent kit, do silly update courses every so often, get insured £1000+, hand tools are not cheap roughly £30 for vde screwdrivers, £15 for side cutters, £400 for sds drills which has to be pat tested yearly along with chasing machines, van up keep. and unfortuantly we have to pass these costs on to the customers. Most of us actually don''t work slow we do our work to good standard if a sparky rushes then you can expect problems later on with a loose terminal which might cause an breaker to nuisence trip. It certainly not clean work either i very often come out of lofts black, and sweating my nuts off, so a couple of teas are thankfully appreciated during working.As for teachers when i was at school a couple of mine would just sit there and often sleep and eat and drink. I never missed a day due to snow, but mainy teachers wouldn''t turn up and we had to do self study in the hall with 2 teachers looking after about 5 different classes.  [/quote]I know a lot of the expenses involved - but I think you will find that every job has expenses involved.So far as I am aware a cheap-ish electrician is going to cost at least £25 an hour - and that is pretty much base line so far as I know. Some will give you a days work for around £200, again if you are lucky. Thats 8 hours. They could work more. In addition to this if you register for some schemes that can call you out on emergancies at un-earthly hours you can charge a fee just to be ''called out''.Now I am no great mathmatician but its possible that in one week if an electrician is popular they could earn £1k pre tax. Again that is at a very basic rate and based on 8hrs a day when its possible to work more.Its not rocket science to work out that in 40 weeks a sparky could earn 40k - more than a teacher earns. In fact you are talking a deputy head teacher or in some small schools a head teachers sallery for that.There are also other people out there that earn as much money as a teacher but can earn overtime. Teachers don''t get paid overtime. They can work additional hours in some cases to do after school tutoring but its limited.Most of the teachers I know also work, on average from around 7-7.30am until around 17.00-17.30 and as I said before that doesn''t include the marking or class planning they do at home. So you are talking 12 hours a day minimum I would say - thats four hours more than your average 9-5. So for every two days they have worked they have effectively worked an additional days hours compared to most. Work that out over how many school days they have and I think you will see how much they get through in reality.And as I pointed out before there is nothing more they can do to earn more other than to take on more responsibilities in senior management positions or step up to be deputy heads or even head teachers which often requires more time.Sure there are some poor teachers out there. There are poor workers in any line of work. The conditions have prevented people from getting to work full stop, there are also many people from different walks of life claiming to not be able to get to work because of it.Personaly both me and my partner go to work if work itself is open for buisiness. As I said, my partner even went into school only to be faced by the decision after she had arrived that the school would be closed. Infact of the schools I regularily have contact with quite a few were late in making that decision on Thursday - some have been blamed for making that decision too prematurely on Friday which in hindsight may look like the case.However I can pretty much assure people that in most cases it had nothing to do with whether the teachers could make it or not. And the final decision lays at the feet of the head-teachers. Its a bit un-inventive to blame the soldiers when the generals make the decisions . . . .

Im a teacher (albeit in Bristol) and I had two days off work on wednesday and thursday, and quite frankly I couldnt give a toss if you guys have a problem with that. I''ll think of you on monday morning from under my duvet when the next snow day is called and you''re at work.

[quote user="Shyster"][quote user="smiley"]Chicken  As for slackers, in my experience electricians are the

at a WI gathering!Us sparkies are not slackers and we charge an highish, so it seems hourly rate because we have to buy expensive VDE handtools, drills, testers, get part p, van upkeep ect.. this is certainly not cheap we have to find £600 a year to keep part p registered, pay out for our testers to be calibrated and if they fail get them repaird or buy new set costing £700+ for a decent kit, do silly update courses every so often, get insured £1000+, hand tools are not cheap roughly £30 for vde screwdrivers, £15 for side cutters, £400 for sds drills which has to be pat tested yearly along with chasing machines, van up keep. and unfortuantly we have to pass these costs on to the customers. Most of us actually don''t work slow we do our work to good standard if a sparky rushes then you can expect problems later on with a loose terminal which might cause an breaker to nuisence trip. It certainly not clean work either i very often come out of lofts black, and sweating my nuts off, so a couple of teas are thankfully appreciated during working.As for teachers when i was at school a couple of mine would just sit there and often sleep and eat and drink. I never missed a day due to snow, but mainy teachers wouldn''t turn up and we had to do self study in the hall with 2 teachers looking after about 5 different classes.  [/quote]

Pah!Any of you people considered how many hours and sheer toil your average chef puts in? 13 hour days 7 days a week are not unheard of and many of ''em are paid poxy salaries that don''t include the overtime.I put those kinds of hours in for nigh on 22 years until my labour came to fruition with the hard earned leaseholds on couple of restaurants where I put in even more hours. Only when those restaurants became successful could I alleviate my working week by employing trustworthy staff.Work! Most of you f*ckers don''t know the meaning of the word.[/quote]Having worked in a kitchen whilst at uni to enable me to afford my rent I have total respect for Chefs. Appart from anything else they appear to keep coffee, redbull and pro-plus in buisiness by themselves. Pretty much the only people at work on Christmas day too!

whats with all this anti teacher rubbish?

im a student, and all i can say is that teachers (in most cases) do a lot of work and cant help whether its a snow day or not.

so grow up.