Sign in to follow this  
Sir Ecat

School Teachers at Carrow Road Today

A well deserved mention to all the Norfolk school teachers who so bravely ventured out today to watch the match at Carrow Road. It can''t have been easy having to dig yourselves out of your snow bound houses and we salute your sterling efforts.

Have a safe journey home and look after yourselves next week. We all appreciate how hard it is travelling in this weather especially when there are so few options beyond car, bus, train, walk. If any readers on this forum live near any teachers then do knock on their door to make sure they are coping OK and see if there is any shopping or essentials they need. God bless em!

LOL.

I''d like to second that. Congrats to all of them hopefully the cold weather wont force you in to a sneeze and therefore having to cancel work with a cold on Monday!

[quote user="Sir Ecat"]A well deserved mention to all the Norfolk school teachers who so bravely ventured out today to watch the match at Carrow Road. It can''t have been easy having to dig yourselves out of your snow bound houses and we salute your sterling efforts.

Have a safe journey home and look after yourselves next week. We all appreciate how hard it is travelling in this weather especially when there are so few options beyond car, bus, train, walk. If any readers on this forum live near any teachers then do knock on their door to make sure they are coping OK and see if there is any shopping or essentials they need. God bless em![/quote]I think schools close during the snow to help prevent school buses full of kids crashing off dangerous roads. And with the school run providing a large percentage of all morning traffic it actually makes things safer for everyone.Not to be a kiljoy though, bloody teachers.

As a teacher I thank you for your sincere concern and would like to let you know that I am OK.

If your posts are a sarcastic dig at school closures then I would let you know that most schools make the decision to close in adverse weather conditions because they are terrified of litigation should any of your darlings fall and hurt themselves on school premises.

Most parents are complaining about the school closures round here because it means that they actually have to look after their own kids for a change and cant spend the day in the pub and shop lifting.

[quote user="kilroyslefteyebrow"] Most parents are complaining about the school closures round here because it means that they actually have to look after their own kids for a change and cant spend the day in the pub and shop lifting.[/quote]

That is GOLD!  Ha ha ha, good stuff, kle.[Y][:D]

[quote user="kilroyslefteyebrow"]As a teacher I thank you for your sincere concern and would like to let you know that I am OK.

If your posts are a sarcastic dig at school closures then I would let you know that most schools make the decision to close in adverse weather conditions because they are terrified of litigation should any of your darlings fall and hurt themselves on school premises.

Most parents are complaining about the school closures round here because it means that they actually have to look after their own kids for a change and cant spend the day in the pub and shop lifting.[/quote]

You seriously need to quit your job at Ipswich High School mate!!

When the schools do re-open half the lovely darlings don''t turn up! Parents are upset because the baby-sitting service has been temporarily removed.   

Be fair it is not as if they get much holiday.... only 6 weeks for summer- 2 for easter, 2 for Christmas and a few half terms thrown in

Oh and though many prtend they work during the months away, trust me they do not. I am an ex teacher and did nothing in my hols!!

[quote user="kilroyslefteyebrow"]As a teacher I thank you for your sincere concern and would like to let you know that I am OK.

Most parents are complaining about the school closures round here because it means that they actually have to look after their own kids for a change and cant spend the day in the pub and shop lifting.[/quote]So the teachers themselves are present on days when the schools are closed then if it''s just to protect the children? Yes or no?My daughter runs a pre school nursery, can you guess where the parents of the seven under fives who attended nursery until 6pm on New years eve scratch a living? ( I''ll give you a clue they get allowances from the rest of us to cover the cost of all those hours).

[quote user="crafty canary"]I''d also like to thank all the dustmen who have not been near since before Christmas. [/quote]

I trust that the local councils will not be paying the contracting companies....

That''s it have a dig at teachers because of school closures. Class teachers don''t make the decision, the head does. What about all those other workers who don''t make it in because of the conditions. The number of shops I''ve been in where they are short-staffed, why not have a dig at them? Or what about the lack of trains/buses because their staff can''t get in.

Or the dairy farmers down here in Kent and Sussex who are having to dispose of thousands of litres of milk daily currently because the container lorries can''t get to the farms to collect it? Watch out for the milk shortage over the next few days.

Are those people lazy? Anyone would think it was only teachers who didn''t get to work in these weather conditions.

Even when they are open in these extreme conditions we become a glorified baby-sitting service. Yesterday I only had 6 pupils turn up in my class. 58 pupils for a school with a role of 242. You can''t teach the planned lessons to such a small number because it would have to be repeated when everyone else returned. Therefore you end doing fun things. I got paid to build snowmen and have snowball fights with my pupils yesterday - great fun. We also played games and did wordsearches. As I say, 6 pupils meant it wasn''t worth doing any planned teaching.

Paraphrasing Pink Floyd ''Hey you! Leave us teachers alone!''

As a Hampshire teacher who chose NOT to travel today after three days off I appreciate your concern. So nice of you to pick out teachers from the millions who didn''t get to work owing to the worst snowfall in 30 years. Of course, us teachers made our own decision not to work, it wasn''t head teachers who closed the schools following LEA guidelines. OTBC

Dean Coney''s boots:

Be fair it is not as if they get much holiday.... only 6 weeks for summer- 2 for easter, 2 for Christmas and a few half terms thrown in Oh and though many prtend they work during the months away, trust me they do not. I am an ex teacher and did nothing in my hols!!

Speak for yourself. Some of us do work over the weekend and in the holidays. Why are you an ex-teacher?

[quote user="kilroyslefteyebrow"]As a teacher I thank you for your sincere concern and would like to let you know that I am OK. If your posts are a sarcastic dig at school closures then I would let you know that most schools make the decision to close in adverse weather conditions because they are terrified of litigation should any of your darlings fall and hurt themselves on school premises. Most parents are complaining about the school closures round here because it means that they actually have to look after their own kids for a change and cant spend the day in the pub and shop lifting.[/quote]

enjoying the 40 grand a year and 12 weeks holiday?

[quote user="improper fraction"]

Dean Coney''s boots:

Be fair it is not as if they get much holiday.... only 6 weeks for summer- 2 for easter, 2 for Christmas and a few half terms thrown in Oh and though many prtend they work during the months away, trust me they do not. I am an ex teacher and did nothing in my hols!!

Speak for yourself. Some of us do work over the weekend and in the holidays. Why are you an ex-teacher?

[/quote]

He probably decided to get a proper job.....  [;)]

That''s it have a dig at teachers because of school closures. Class teachers don''t make the decision, the head does. What about all those other workers who don''t make it in because of the conditions. The number of shops I''ve been in where they are short-staffed, why not have a dig at them? Or what about the lack of trains/buses because their staff can''t get in.

Or the dairy farmers down here in Kent and Sussex who are having to dispose of thousands of litres of milk daily currently because the container lorries can''t get to the farms to collect it? Watch out for the milk shortage over the next few days.

Are those people lazy? Anyone would think it was only teachers who didn''t get to work in these weather conditions.

Even when they are open in these extreme conditions we become a glorified baby-sitting service. Yesterday I only had 6 pupils turn up in my class. 58 pupils for a school with a role of 242. You can''t teach the planned lessons to such a small number because it would have to be repeated when everyone else returned. Therefore you end doing fun things. I got paid to build snowmen and have snowball fights with my pupils yesterday - great fun. We also played games and did wordsearches. As I say, 6 pupils meant it wasn''t worth doing any planned teaching.

Paraphrasing Pink Floyd ''Hey you! Leave us teachers alone!''

[/quote]

ah yes but how many of those short staffed shops were due to parents having to take days off because they had to look after kids who shouldve been at school, i for one was one of those that wouldve gone to work but couldnt because i had to look after my son, oh and unlike a teacher, i had to take a days holiday in order to get paid otherwise i wouldve lost a days income,

Sadly, not many people can get a ''proper job'' unless they''ve received some form of education from us lazy teachers.

If teaching''s so easy and such a doss, why aren''t you lot teachers then?

Sadly, not many people can get a ''proper job'' unless they''ve received some form of education from us lazy teachers.

If teaching''s so easy and such a doss, why aren''t you lot teachers then?

[/quote]Because they''ve got proper jobs.... duh! [H]

Thought this message board was about football, apparantley not, why are you all so pathetic, lets keep discussing things that actually matter, like city going after dirty leeds.

I think teachers do a very good job and in trying circumstances (govt interference, OFSTED, stroppy kids et al) however...

...it is also true that, whilst loads did not make work, schools ARE gaining a rputation for shutting at the first sign of a snowflake. that is why the singling out-

and why did I leave? Well I found a life I enjoy more and I got totally fed up with ducational psychobabble, unecessary paperwork and red tape. Teaching by formula rather than passion and intellect

[quote user="Sir Ecat"]A well deserved mention to all the Norfolk school teachers who so bravely ventured out today to watch the match at Carrow Road. It can''t have been easy having to dig yourselves out of your snow bound houses and we salute your sterling efforts. Have a safe journey home and look after yourselves next week. We all appreciate how hard it is travelling in this weather especially when there are so few options beyond car, bus, train, walk. If any readers on this forum live near any teachers then do knock on their door to make sure they are coping OK and see if there is any shopping or essentials they need. God bless em![/quote]

Funny how schools can close at the first sign of frost or snow but if you want to take your children on a family holiday thats frowned upon - double standards perhaps.

Concern noted and appreciated.

As a teacher this topic was just too tempting to avoid. We all make out career choices and I choose a career where you get 13 weeks hols but have to work most evenings to do prep and mark. That is the nature of the job. What is a “proper” job?? 74% of the population work in the tertiary sector pushing paper!!

Guarantee, it we will be in on Monday with half the kids attending because the parents are not interested.

Not to mention the twelve weeks free holiday they get a year, working hours of 9am-3:30pm, lots of fit young trainee teachers to cop off with...What''s that?  Pre-school classes, Ofsted inspections, endless preparation and planning, paperwork paperwork paperwork, marking exams into the early hours of the morning, constant assessment and the removal of any meaningful discipline from the little darlings when they threaten to stab or rape you, not to mention the frequent threats of physical violence handed out at parents evenings because it can''t be the kids faults....Yeah, bloody teachers.

I love it when people who aren''t teachers have a dig at those who are in the profession about holidays, snow days etc

The best thing to do colleagues is let it go for two main reasons:

1) Unless you work in education you have NO IDEA how hard you have to work to be an effective teacher. I second the question put to ''Ex-teacher'' Coney''s Boots as to why is that the case? Excluding retirement it''s probably because you didn''t put enough time in out of hours and enjoyed the ''perks'' too much!

2) This complaining is, at the end of the day, jealousy. Perhaps instead of complaining so bitterly put in the time and effort yourself to become a teacher. Or perhaps you can''t because you didn''t work hard enough at school and are now frustrated in your work with 20 days holiday a year?

School closures are decided by the Headteachers of schools and very often their hand is forced by bus companies stating they will not travel to villages etc. At the heart of the decision is ALWAYS the well-being of YOUR children. Believe me with all the targets we are set to imprive standards and pass rates we want as much time in the classroom with students as is possible.

I wouldn''t dream of commenting on any of your jobs, please try and afford myself and fellow professionals the same respect!

Cue sarcastic responses...