Sign in to follow this  
lincoln canary (& Golden Coppel)

great signings but 1 more is essential!

[quote user="Smudger"]

Current asking price for Barnard is £250k.

I think that if we signed him then you would be looking at a value of £1.5 million plus being on Barnards head come the end of the season.

I think that you could quite easily bring him in for Martin or Holt and am pretty sure that he would not mind battling for his place in a team that was aiming for automatic promotion and then planning to build a squad capable of aiming for the play-offs in the Championship the following season.

I do not hink that we will find a strker with so much ability at such a bargain price for a very long time and should be doing our best to attract him to Carrow Road.

I would also like Lambert to bring in a right winger (Albert Adomah or Joel Grant of Crewe maybe) so that we may revert to 4-4-2 when the inevitable does happen and teams start to cancel out the effect our diamond formation has been having.

Spend a tiny bit more in bringing in two players and I think promotion is in the bag.  Add a few more players to that mix and we could have a side capable of competing for a play-off spot in the Championship.

If the right players are out there at the right kind of prices then you have to snap them up there and then.  If we don''t sign Barnard now then we will be looking at spending 4 times as much to bring in a striker of his quality come the summer.

[/quote]

SOUTHAMPTON have tabled a £150,000 offer for Southend United’s top goalscorer Lee Barnard and Leeds are also interested.

Top scorers in the country;  first season in lord knows how many years that we have had a striker score more than 20,  even longer since we had three players hit double figures, its still only Jan and we still want another striker?  Who do you drop to make way?   Hoolahan?,   too creative,  Martin?  Hardly - he compliments the team well and finishes so well,  or holt??

Johnson has started promisingly and I know have fewer concerns about missing holt because he is here, and he can cover martin.   In a way it seems he can cover Hoolahan too as it seems Martin is being groomed to cover the hoolahan role by dropping deeper when the latter is subbed.

Do we have £150k to speculate?  Or would we be better signing someone who can truly perform at champs level bearing in mind holt, martin and johnson are already unproven at that level?

if we had the 250k for barnard we would have bought him tho i think he will prefer top dog leeds if beckford goes. as he is likely to be staying at leeds , then southampton seem to be best placed. before we brought in oli j i though that we were in the running. we have the best attack in the league and good back up , as has been stated. the hunt for a forster type keeper would be my priority over the coming months. would you leave southend to sit on a bench and watch holt get 30 goals this season?

With Johnson signing we wont be in for Barnard. I think we have enough to get us up (although of course i would like Barnard) already.

The player I would love us to sign next season IF we go up is Billy Sharp.... he would be brilliant for us.Joel Grant is a good shout...

[quote user="lincoln canary"][quote user="CANARYCHARGE"]cody scoress most times he comes on....what are you on about?[/quote]

No he Doesnt, Hes only scored 3 goals for us in the best part of a year. Jeez get a grip!

[/quote]How many starts has Cody had ?I havent got the exact math but hes gotta be something like12 apps3 goals3-5 assistsTbh whoever said the bold pats is a bit of a spanner.

I know he has been banging them in for the youths/reserves - but if there was a few injuries, it would not surprise me if Lambert gve Danny Kelly a go - he has proven not to be scared of giving the youngsters a go!

[quote user="lincoln canary"]

[quote user="bjg123"]Is that Lincoln Canary from the SI boards? On subject, it''s not essential, we currently have 5 strikers on the books, plus Hoolahan, I''d have preferred a proven goalscorer to come in instead of Oli though.[/quote]

SI Boards??

Well apart from holt and martin the other three either havnt or cant find the net. I also feel that without holt martin would not have scored half the goals he has this season.

[/quote]

And Holt would have had 22 if Hoolahan wasn''t dropping balls right onto his head or putting him through on goal?

[quote user="Nexus_Canary"][quote user="lincoln canary"][quote user="CANARYCHARGE"]cody scoress most times he comes on....what are you on about?[/quote]

No he Doesnt, Hes only scored 3 goals for us in the best part of a year. Jeez get a grip!

[/quote]

How many starts has Cody had ?
I havent got the exact math but hes gotta be something like

12 apps
3 goals
3-5 assists

Tbh whoever said the bold parts is a bit of a spanner.
[/quote]

Is he a spanner?  He has only scored 3 goals in a year, which part of that is wrong?

Its 27 appearances  (all bar 4 as sub) for 3 goals and 4 assists.  

We have enough with 3 players in double figures, plus Johnson and MacDonald. save the cash for potential team strengthening next season. The team spirit is great at the moment and we do not want more good players who cannot get a game

[quote user="ZippersLeftFoot"][quote user="Nexus_Canary"][quote user="lincoln canary"][quote user="CANARYCHARGE"]cody scoress most times he comes on....what are you on about?[/quote]

[/quote]How many starts has Cody had ?I havent got the exact math but hes gotta be something like12 apps3 goals3-5 assistsTbh whoever said the bold parts is a bit of a spanner.[/quote]

Is he a spanner?  He has only scored 3 goals in a year, which part of that is wrong?

Its 27 appearances  (all bar 4 as sub) for 3 goals and 4 assists.  

[/quote]Thats neither a terrible or brilliant return, I think its ok, about what we should expect from a cheapo non league signing.  

I''d rather see players leaving than coming in at the moment. eg Cureton, Whalley and Gill. Free some wages up so we have more money for signings next year.

[quote user="AVFC-NCFC"][quote user="lincoln canary"]

[quote user="bjg123"]Is that Lincoln Canary from the SI boards? On subject, it''s not essential, we currently have 5 strikers on the books, plus Hoolahan, I''d have preferred a proven goalscorer to come in instead of Oli though.[/quote]

SI Boards??

Well apart from holt and martin the other three either havnt or cant find the net. I also feel that without holt martin would not have scored half the goals he has this season.

[/quote]

And Holt would have had 22 if Hoolahan wasn''t dropping balls right onto his head or putting him through on goal?

[/quote]And also I think that''s particularly unfair, as a lot of Martin''s goals been good solo goals - hits from outside of the area, after cutting in and beating a few defenders. I think he''s as important as Holt to our front line.

What is it with Norwich fans and "I think we have enough"???

If a player is there who can strengthen your squad at such a bargain price then do you sign him or let him sign for one of your main rivals?

Barnard is a striker who is worth over £1 million right now if you get him on a 2 year contract.  He is a player who will both help us on the run in this year and be ready to compete for a starting place in a squad that would only need a few signings at the back and down the wings to compete for a play-off spot in the Championship the following year.

Mark my words that we will need another decent striker in our ranks if we are promoted and we are unlikely to find one who is better value for money than Lee Barnard for some considerable time!

For example... was adding Svensson, McKenzie and Huckerby to a squad which was sitting 2nd in the table in the Championship at the an error?

Was it a further error that we let an aged striker go in Iwan and did not sign Ashton until Christmas in the Premiership?

Add quality to the squad at the right price when you can!

[quote user="Smudger"]Add quality to the squad at the right price when you can![/quote]Can''t disagree with that smudger but............

Have we any money? [:^)]

[quote user="Smudger"]

For example... was adding Svensson, McKenzie and Huckerby to a squad which was sitting 2nd in the table in the Championship at the an error?

Was it a further error that we let an aged striker go in Iwan and did not sign Ashton until Christmas in the Premiership?

[/quote]

In both those examples smudge we did not have any strikers of our own up to the task.   WIthout Svennson or Mckenzie we were left with???  And without Ashton we failed to score goals anyway and Iwan struggled to compete in the champs that season let alone been any use in the prem.  And Ashton did not start scoring until he got some decent service from Bentley and Safri,  weeks after he signed. 

Its not the same this season,  we have a sound midfield base feeding three good league one strikers and a new one that has surprised me but may yet be a flash in the pan, as well as Daley, Cureton and McDonald.     Lambert does not like over big squads and we currently have 7 strikers.

If Barnard was worth £1m on a 2 year contract there would be more interest in him - and we should snap him up as an investment, tell him to go on holiday and sell him in the summer.  He may be worth that, he may not.     And we could be left in a situation where we have 8 strikers none of whom are proven at champs level

[quote user="ZippersLeftFoot"][quote user="Smudger"]

[/quote]

In both those examples smudge we did not have any strikers of our own up to the task.   WIthout Svennson or Mckenzie we were left with???  And without Ashton we failed to score goals anyway and Iwan struggled to compete in the champs that season let alone been any use in the prem.  And Ashton did not start scoring until he got some decent service from Bentley and Safri,  weeks after he signed. 

Its not the same this season,  we have a sound midfield base feeding three good league one strikers and a new one that has surprised me but may yet be a flash in the pan, as well as Daley, Cureton and McDonald.     Lambert does not like over big squads and we currently have 7 strikers.

If Barnard was worth £1m on a 2 year contract there would be more interest in him - and we should snap him up as an investment, tell him to go on holiday and sell him in the summer.  He may be worth that, he may not.     And we could be left in a situation where we have 8 strikers none of whom are proven at champs level

[/quote]I take your point with Svennson and McKenzie somewhat... although we still went out and got Hucks on a permanent deal when we had a front 3 who had just sent us top of the league at Portman Road.Let us see how much value Southampton place on Barnard if him and Lambert provide the goals for a late surge in to the play-offs shall we?Leeds and Southampton were interested and knew they were getting a good player at a bargain price.  Who knows maybe Millwall were the mystery 3rd club that was showing interest or maybe it was us and he did not want to sit on the bench and bide his time waiting for a chance at Carrow Road?I hope that if we are promoted that our 3 musketeers plus Oli can score the goals in the Championship, because I think that we have let an absolute bargain striker who I believe could of produced at a higher level slip by at a value for money price that we are not likely to see again for a long time.

[quote user="lappinitup"]

[quote user="Smudger"]Add quality to the squad at the right price when you can![/quote]Can''t disagree with that smudger but............

Have we any money? [:^)]

[/quote]I can only imagine that we do not have any money Lapp... Well either that, or that maybe we spoke to Barnard but he didn''t want to bide his time sat on our bench waiting for a chance of first team action.  Maybe he weighed up the situation and fancied his chances of being first choice upfront with Lambert at the Saints more???If we had any money though I would of thought that we would of brought a winger in before the transfer window closes.  But yet again they will have to accept that they are going to be a bit part player for the rest of this season.

[quote user="Smudger"]

[/quote]

Iwan and Malky were very unlucky in my opinion and a mistake by Worthy on both counts.  With those 2 experienced heads we may have stayed up.

[quote user="norfolkbroadslim"][quote user="Smudger"]

[/quote]

Iwan and Malky were very unlucky in my opinion and a mistake by Worthy on both counts.  With those 2 experienced heads we may have stayed up.

[/quote]I agree... [Y]I did with the Malky one at the time, when I had about a half or quarter page letter (once they had highlighted the headline in bold) printed in the EDP.I have stated for the last few years that in hindsight I would of kept Iwan, even though I thought Worthy was right to let him go at the time I think that he may of got the couple of goals used in the last 20 mins of games from the bench which could of seen us survive.  I wonder if Worthy answered both questions in hindsight if he would admit to getting either of those calls wrong?

Malky asked to leave once told he would have to fight for his place in a higher league - and its difficult to keep hold of a player who simply wants to play due to his age, no longer wants to be at the club or prepared to wait to get his chance (which he would have had as the season went).

So for me Worthy, as much as I have criticised him for many subsequent decisions,  did get the iwan and malky decisions right imo.

[quote user="ZippersLeftFoot"]

Malky asked to leave once told he would have to fight for his place in a higher league - and its difficult to keep hold of a player who simply wants to play due to his age, no longer wants to be at the club or prepared to wait to get his chance (which he would have had as the season went).

So for me Worthy, as much as I have criticised him for many subsequent decisions,  did get the iwan and malky decisions right imo.

[/quote]Clearly... has history has proven! [:$]Worthy on the other hand brought in the pacy Doc to play upfront and those couple of spring chickens Simon Charlton and Thomas Helveg to leave Malky sat on the bench or pretty much told that Worthy did not believe that he was good enough to cut it at the top level.  This still does not mention that many City fans thought that he was better than Flemming who Worthy chose to keep and play until he was sacked pretty much.

[quote user="Smudger"]With all this knocking of Sir Nigel the clock is ticking Nutty!  [O]
[/quote]

I have long realised that you guys need something to moan about so I''m leaving well alone. If complaining about Worthy enhances you''re enjoyment of a season where I think we will get 100 points and score 100 goals then who am I to try and spoil it for you?

Enjoy!!

LOL

Thanks for the loan of the crayons Tangie[;)]

That worthy failed to replace Malky was a failing,  letting an unhappy player go was not.

As the last two months of the prem season showed the attacking line up and midfield worthy signed that season was good enough to avoid relegation - it just took worthy too long to recognise that.

What he never addressed was that the centre backs at the club then were not good enough for the prem;   even when we started winning we still conceeded goals at a shocking rate as the games at palace and soton demonstrated before the fulham debacle.   He should have replaced malky with a leader at centre back;  the replacements he chose did not work.  As fas as flem was concerned he was always better equipped for the prem than Malky but it remains one of the most astonishing features of that season that he remained just about ever present despite being so out of his depth.

[quote user="ZippersLeftFoot"]

That worthy failed to replace Malky was a failing,  letting an unhappy player go was not.

As the last two months of the prem season showed the attacking line up and midfield worthy signed that season was good enough to avoid relegation - it just took worthy too long to recognise that.

What he never addressed was that the centre backs at the club then were not good enough for the prem;   even when we started winning we still conceeded goals at a shocking rate as the games at palace and soton demonstrated before the fulham debacle.   He should have replaced malky with a leader at centre back;  the replacements he chose did not work.  As fas as flem was concerned he was always better equipped for the prem than Malky but it remains one of the most astonishing features of that season that he remained just about ever present despite being so out of his depth.

[/quote]It wasn''t the failure to replace him it was the stupidity of releasing him in the first place.I had a lot of time for Worthy but it was unforgiveable to try to fix something that wasn''t broke.IMO its was that decision that eventually cost him his job.