Sign in to follow this  
lincoln canary (& Golden Coppel)

great signings but 1 more is essential!

We need another proven goalscorer at this level. For example a lee barnard or billy sharp. I just feel this would complete the team and nearly gurantee us promotion. Without this signing we will servely struggle if either holt or martin got injured.

Get this last singing in and i will be a very happy canary!

[quote user="lincoln canary"]

We need another proven goalscorer at this level. For example a lee barnard or billy sharp. I just feel this would complete the team and nearly gurantee us promotion. Without this signing we will servely struggle if either holt or martin got injured.

[/quote]

get a grip!

[quote user="CANARYCHARGE"][quote user="lincoln canary"]

[/quote] get a grip![/quote]

??

Is that Lincoln Canary from the SI boards?

On subject, it''s not essential, we currently have 5 strikers on the books, plus Hoolahan, I''d have preferred a proven goalscorer to come in instead of Oli though.

[quote user="bjg123"]Is that Lincoln Canary from the SI boards? On subject, it''s not essential, we currently have 5 strikers on the books, plus Hoolahan, I''d have preferred a proven goalscorer to come in instead of Oli though.[/quote]

SI Boards??

Well apart from holt and martin the other three either havnt or cant find the net. I also feel that without holt martin would not have scored half the goals he has this season.

[quote user="bjg123"]Is that Lincoln Canary from the SI boards? On subject, it''s not essential, we currently have 5 strikers on the books, plus Hoolahan, I''d have preferred a proven goalscorer to come in instead of Oli though.[/quote]

SI Boards??

Well apart from holt and martin the other three either havnt or cant find the net. I also feel that without holt martin would not have scored half the goals he has this season.

[/quote]

cody scoress most times he comes on....what are you on about?

[quote user="CANARYCHARGE"][quote user="lincoln canary"]

SI Boards??

[/quote] cody scoress most times he comes on....what are you on about?[/quote]

No he Doesnt, Hes only scored 3 goals for us in the best part of a year. Jeez get a grip!

Although I do understand what you mean Lincoln Canary. The only problem is proven goalscorers in any league are expensive and will want to play week-in, week-out, something that we probably can''t offer at the moment. Every team always has room for improvement and especially those running on limited budgets. Lambert has said that there won''t be anymore players coming in this transfer window and I think we have enough to get us through to the end of the season. If we get promoted there will certainly be need for another striker, but if we are in the Championship then we can go out and get someone of a little more quality than is available to us currently.It is fairly incredible the amount of players we have bought so far this season, so it isn''t a bad thing to hold out a bit and take stock. Our squad is actually quite large and we could certainly do with thinning it out a little bit. If Holt or Martin do get injured and our reserves can''t step up then there is always the possibility of a loan signing.

Are you the Lincoln canary thats on the Football manager forums, the one that started the Ncfc offical thread?

[/quote]

No.Its. Not.

We have 3 of the tope 15 goalscorers in the division with Cody, Cureton and johnson in reserve. What more do people want for gods sake!

[quote user="lincoln canary"][quote user="CANARYCHARGE"][quote user="lincoln canary"]

SI Boards??

[/quote] cody scoress most times he comes on....what are you on about?[/quote]

No he Doesnt, Hes only scored 3 goals for us in the best part of a year. Jeez get a grip!

[/quote]

Cody Scores When He Has Been Played For A Decent Amount Of Time. He Can''t Be Expected To Score When Coming On In The Last 10minutes Of A Game. If He Was Given A Few Starts, His Goal Tally Would Go Up!

Cody has hardly had a fair crack of the whip, and also he would have scored more but for being such a team-player. 

While I agree that one more signing is essential I don''t agree that this is a striker.

IMHO we need an experienced goalkeeper on a permanent transfer (ours), not a loan.  As much as Holt or Hoolahan getting injured could knack our season, if Forster got injured, we are left relying on two teenagers to led us to The Championship. 

[/quote]I agree, Holt was looking a bit Rusty [;)]I cant see anyone really doing a great job in Martin or Holt''s shoes, if they get injured. I dont really know much about Johnson, but another quality goalscorer would be good. [Y]Or Semi up front, I dont mind [:)]

A proven Goal scorer? Has this guy not seen our goals for tally this season? Their are one or two other positions that I would much rather strengthen than our striker department which is currently excellent for this standard.

Current asking price for Barnard is £250k.

I think that if we signed him then you would be looking at a value of £1.5 million plus being on Barnards head come the end of the season.

I think that you could quite easily bring him in for Martin or Holt and am pretty sure that he would not mind battling for his place in a team that was aiming for automatic promotion and then planning to build a squad capable of aiming for the play-offs in the Championship the following season.

I do not hink that we will find a strker with so much ability at such a bargain price for a very long time and should be doing our best to attract him to Carrow Road.

I would also like Lambert to bring in a right winger (Albert Adomah or Joel Grant of Crewe maybe) so that we may revert to 4-4-2 when the inevitable does happen and teams start to cancel out the effect our diamond formation has been having.

Spend a tiny bit more in bringing in two players and I think promotion is in the bag.  Add a few more players to that mix and we could have a side capable of competing for a play-off spot in the Championship.

If the right players are out there at the right kind of prices then you have to snap them up there and then.  If we don''t sign Barnard now then we will be looking at spending 4 times as much to bring in a striker of his quality come the summer.

Spot on Smudge, I was hoping for someone like Le Fondre instead of Johnson just because he is proven goal scorer but we will wait and see.

Adomah and Barnard (if you can get him at 250k) would be great additions.

[quote user="Legend Iwan"]

Spot on Smudge, I was hoping for someone like Le Fondre instead of Johnson just because he is proven goal scorer but we will wait and see.

Adomah and Barnard (if you can get him at 250k) would be great additions.

[/quote]

Le Fondre is a great player but I believe tha he signed a new contract at Rotherham at the beginning of the season so would not be cheap.

With the exception of Holt and Rickie Lambert I think that Barnard and Le Fondre are the best strikers outside the top two divisions (that includes Beckford who I rate both players higher than).

You''re enjoying it down here in the 1st Smudger aren''t you? I have to say that I am too. expanding my knowledge of footy, getting to know our competition. Feels a lot more like footy than the bloody Prem too. Still want promotion obviously but I''m enjoying the safari!

Agree with Smudger. We''d be stupid not to try and sign someone of Banard''s calibre at that kind of price.

Couldn''t agree more Smudge. Whilst the financial situation is concerning, an outlay of £250K for Barnard would be decent business. Only trouble is if Leeds are in the hunt too, ideal replacement for Beckford and sadly Leeds are a bigger draw than ourselves....

All this sort of stuff makes me weep. Why are you bothering? With no knowledge of what finances you have, and more importantly, for the most of you, any insight into what players are required to get us promoted, just leave it to the guy who knows what he''s doing.

[quote user="Wembley_Canary"]A proven Goal scorer? Has this guy not seen our goals for tally this season? Their are one or two other positions that I would much rather strengthen than our striker department which is currently excellent for this standard.
[/quote]

yes with martin holt and hoolahan being fit all season, my point is that if one of them was to get injured we would seriously struggle. The signing of Lee Barnard or similar would really enhance our chances of going up. If we were to release Mcveigh and Cureton this money would help pay for Barnard.

i like cody but he is never going to be a threat from the start. He has pace and is good to bring on when defenders get tired and isnt awfully technically but he is not a clever footballer and he never will be.

[quote user="Romantic"]You''re enjoying it down here in the 1st Smudger aren''t you? I have to say that I am too. expanding my knowledge of footy, getting to know our competition. Feels a lot more like footy than the bloody Prem too. Still want promotion obviously but I''m enjoying the safari!
[/quote]

Yes surprisingly.  The great thing about us playing at such a level is experiencing some far flung places and grounds you have never been to before and expanding your knowledge of the game.  I even have an idea of a few quality signings that we could make from Div 2 these days.  A few years ago I would never of considered us signing players from such a level, but there are one or two outsanding talents to be nurtured down there and turned in to stars who can make clubs like ours serious money if managed well.

Barnard has been on my radar since the summer and I said to Lambert a couple of weeks after he came in that this guy was going to be an absolute bargain for somebody come Christmas or the end of the season, as I knew that his contract was up for expiry and that he was unlikely to sign a new one given Southends economic circumstances.

I also tried to tell him about the young winger Joel Grant at Crewe who I was impressed with as he hinted that he was looking for wingers at the time.  But seeing as Grant was new to me also at the time I could not remember his name.

Still keeping my fingers on the Barnard one as I believe that he could be worth more than any of our current strikers in a couple of years time if he gets his chance and is playing in the right side... I think that Chris Martin is our hottest talent at the moment with bags full of natural ability, experience and time on his side.

[quote user="Smudger"]Yes surprisingly.  The great thing about us playing at such a level is experiencing some far flung places and grounds you have never been to before and expanding your knowledge of the game.[/quote]Now smudger, now you''re expanding your knowledge of the game, do you still think Hoolahan is plop?[:^)]