Sign in to follow this  
lincoln canary (& Golden Coppel)

If the diamond had to be changed.....

And it is a realistic possibillity that sooner or later it may have to be as teams get harder to break down, Lambert will have to make a couple of big decisions on who to drop to accomodate a more orthodox 4 4 2.

My 4 4 2 would be;

Forster

martin    doc     nelson ( whilst others are unfit) drury

Macnamee    Hughes    Russell     hoolahan

holt           martin

[quote user="morty"]Didn''t hoolahan hopelessly fail on the left wing when played there previously?
[/quote]

he was pretty succesful there for blackpool, but your right he has struggled there for us, but how could you drop the man?! thats what i mean to change our shape if needed would result in good players being droped. Big decisons!

I wouldn''t drop SmithAnd I definitely see no point in playing McNamee on the right when he''s a left winger, and Hoolahan on the left when he isn''t a left winger.

[quote user="judderman"]I wouldn''t drop Smith
And I definitely see no point in playing McNamee on the right when he''s a left winger, and Hoolahan on the left when he isn''t a left winger.
[/quote]

i dont think it makes much difference if your a winger your a winger right or left. As i said previously hoolahan played his whole career left wing befor this season.

[quote user="lincoln canary"]

[quote user="judderman"]I wouldn''t drop SmithAnd I definitely see no point in playing McNamee on the right when he''s a left winger, and Hoolahan on the left when he isn''t a left winger.[/quote]

i dont think it makes much difference if your a winger your a winger right or left. As i said previously hoolahan played his whole career left wing befor this season.

[/quote]And he''s playing better in this position? Yes [Y]

[quote user="morty"]Didn''t hoolahan hopelessly fail on the left wing when played there previously?[/quote]He certainly struggled, despite some inspired moments.Problem is his positioning was dreadful, and we often saw him drift out to the right wing. He struggled when the opposition had the width to compete with his role in our system, and he gave minimal support to the defence.Hoolahan needs space for his talent and ability to flourish, and he is lacking when he''s competing with others physically. That is why he fits into his current role so well, seeing as it''s the only position on the pitch that so suitably matches his preferences.I believe, as unthinkable a thing it would seem to do now, that he''d have to take his place on the bench if we were to change the system. To move McNamee away from his preferred position on the left wing for the sake of having Hoolahan on the pitch doesn''t quite seem worth doing if you ask me, despie the undoubted class he has.

[quote user="Big Bad John"][quote user="morty"]Didn''t hoolahan hopelessly fail on the left wing when played there previously?[/quote]He certainly struggled, despite some inspired moments.Problem is his positioning was dreadful, and we often saw him drift out to the right wing. He struggled when the opposition had the width to compete with his role in our system, and he gave minimal support to the defence.Hoolahan needs space for his talent and ability to flourish, and he is lacking when he''s competing with others physically. That is why he fits into his current role so well, seeing as it''s the only position on the pitch that so suitably matches his preferences.I believe, as unthinkable a thing it would seem to do now, that he''d have to take his place on the bench if we were to change the system. To move McNamee away from his preferred position on the left wing for the sake of having Hoolahan on the pitch doesn''t quite seem worth doing if you ask me, despie the undoubted class he has.[/quote]I would rather not speculate to be honest, I just feel safe in the knowledge that Mr Lambert knows more about it all than I do![:D]

If we want to be succesfull we cannot even consider having Hoolahan on the wing. He was hopeless there last season, he drifts too much and leaves our flank exposed. Aprt of the reason he hass been doing so well this season is because he is in a position where he can roam, yet has Russel behind him in case he looses posession. I agree though that we should switch things around more if its not going to plan, but I would take Martin off and put Hoolahan just behind Holt in a 4, 4, 1,1.

[quote user="morty"][quote user="Big Bad John"][quote user="morty"]Didn''t hoolahan hopelessly fail on the left wing when played there previously?[/quote]He certainly struggled, despite some inspired moments.Problem is his positioning was dreadful, and we often saw him drift out to the right wing. He struggled when the opposition had the width to compete with his role in our system, and he gave minimal support to the defence.Hoolahan needs space for his talent and ability to flourish, and he is lacking when he''s competing with others physically. That is why he fits into his current role so well, seeing as it''s the only position on the pitch that so suitably matches his preferences.I believe, as unthinkable a thing it would seem to do now, that he''d have to take his place on the bench if we were to change the system. To move McNamee away from his preferred position on the left wing for the sake of having Hoolahan on the pitch doesn''t quite seem worth doing if you ask me, despie the undoubted class he has.[/quote]I would rather not speculate to be honest, I just feel safe in the knowledge that Mr Lambert knows more about it all than I do![:D][/quote]True. [Y]I think we should forget debate this season and just trust Lambert has got this one covered! [url=http://www.mysmiley.net/free-sick-smileys.php][img]http://www.mysmiley.net/imgs/smile/happy/happy0005.gif[/img][/url]

And it is a realistic possibillity that sooner or later it may have to be as teams get harder to break down, Lambert will have to make a couple of big decisions on who to drop to accomodate a more orthodox 4 4 2.

My 4 4 2 would be;

Forster

holt           martin

[/quote]We would have to revert to a 4-4-2 as I really don''t think we have the players for it. Something like a 4-2-3-1 would suit our players and add width.             ForsterMartin  Doc  Askou  Drury        Smith     RussellC Martin  Hoops    McNamee                 HoltSmith and Russell act as holding midfielders. C Marin, Hoops and McNamee can switch around in these positions and get to the bylines.I think the diamond is working out very well for us so shouldn''t be changed for the sake of change, but a Plan B is good to have and the 4-2-3-1 adds a little extra attacking dimension without leaving gaps at the back.

[quote user="judderman"]I wouldn''t drop Smith
And I definitely see no point in playing McNamee on the right when he''s a left winger, and Hoolahan on the left when he isn''t a left winger.
[/quote]

[/quote]

Absolute BS of course. I can think of loads of one-sided wingers who you would not dare to switch to their weaker side.

I attended the game yesterday and it''s not a question of ''if'' - it''s a must.McNamee can be utilised on the right, but as a left-footed player he''s obviously more effective on the left-flank where he doesn''t have his runs broken down by constantly cutting inside like Huckerby use to do - It''s an attacking 4-4-2 formation I''d prefer to be deployed (or at least have the option of) and two pacey out & out wide men on their natural flanks are imperative for that formation to work effectively. And it goes without saying that the wingers have to protect their fullbacks.Is there a place within an attacking 4-4-2 for the ''Trequartista'' that is Hoolahan, I hear people cry? Well, possibly - field him on the left-side of central midfield to support the forward pair whilst Russel plays the holding role.During the course of games it''s easy enough to revert to the 4-4-2 diamond or an alternative formation - especially with seven subs on the bench.

We need Albert Adomah.

Forster

R.Martin            Doherty         Nelson         Drury

McNamee         Smith             Russel          Lappin

Hoolahan

Holt

Seems a good option to me.

Well then if he cant play left wing, then why sell him? As im sure he''s not gonna go to a diamond playing team.

[quote user="Shyster"]I attended the game yesterday and it''s not a question of ''if'' - it''s a must.McNamee can be utilised on the right, but as a left-footed player he''s obviously more effective on the left-flank where he doesn''t have his runs broken down by constantly cutting inside like Huckerby use to do - It''s an attacking 4-4-2 formation I''d prefer to be deployed (or at least have the option of) and two pacey out & out wide men on their natural flanks are imperative for that formation to work effectively. And it goes without saying that the wingers have to protect their fullbacks.Is there a place within an attacking 4-4-2 for the ''Trequartista'' that is Hoolahan, I hear people cry? Well, possibly - field him on the left-side of central midfield to support the forward pair whilst Russel plays the holding role.During the course of games it''s easy enough to revert to the 4-4-2 diamond or an alternative formation - especially with seven subs on the bench.

We need Albert Adomah.[/quote]

Seriously now - it hurts to be telling you all ''I told you so''.

What a bizzare comment to make Shyster since your post we have got 31 points out of 39, what you are saying is presumably we would have won all 13 games playing 442. Would that not have been sussed out by now. Should you not be saying I got it totally wrong good job Lambert is manager. I am sure if Lambert thinks it is time to change it he will, but I dont think he feels we have the players to win playing 442 especially with Drurys injury.

The one of the striking three that needs to be dropped is Holt;  his last three performances for us have been appalling,  and Martin and Hoolahan far better.  However none of the three should be dropped - they are the reason we sit where we still do in th etable.  The question is can we accomodate the three of them any other way?  CMArtin on the righ flank or Wes on theleft?   Be honest, BOTH of those options weaken them and therefore us.

The options in midfield are not good to be honest.   Smith is our best current midfielder, and prob deserves a central spot,  but is also the best wide right option.  Lappin with Drury is a good partnership (and f/b wide set ups in 442 are about partnerships) and you gain that from that pair over the introduction of McNamee. Hughes is far superior to Gill but v similar  to Russell.

So to go to 442 we compromise ourselves by playing one of our best three players (strikers) out of position and we compromise both flanks with less than ideal options.   442 is an option,  but it is more flawed than the diamond.

If we were to go 442 the best team would could put out would be

Spillane  Doc  Whitbread Drury

Smith     Hughes  Russell  Hoolahan

Martin  Holt       

Translate that into what is available on Tuesday and we have

Martin  Doc  Nelson  Rose

McNamee  Smith  Hughes Hoolahan

Martin  Holt

and suddenly that is a lot weaker defensively.

Compare both to

Spillane Doc  Whitbread  Drury

Smith  Russell Lappin

Hoolahan

Martin  Holt

and its clear why the diamond stays - that bottom team is far far superior 

We dont need albert adomah;  Jason Puncheon is far better;   as were all the midfielder in stripes yest.

Our problems are not with pace or flair,  but with strength,  we won too few tackles and were not physcial or hungry enough in the centre of the park. 

[quote user="ZippersLeftFoot"]

We dont need albert adomah;  Jason Puncheon is far better;   as were all the midfielder in stripes yest.

Our problems are not with pace or flair,  but with strength,  we won too few tackles and were not physcial or hungry enough in the centre of the park. 

[/quote]Similar to you my opinion is that yesterday was down to lack of work rate, not the system.

[quote user="morty"][quote user="ZippersLeftFoot"]

[/quote]Similar to you my opinion is that yesterday was down to lack of work rate, not the system.[/quote]

It''s also your opinion that McNamee is ineffective, yet it is he via second half substitutions in recent matches that saved/garnered at least 4 points.

[quote user="Shyster"][quote user="morty"][quote user="ZippersLeftFoot"]

[/quote]Similar to you my opinion is that yesterday was down to lack of work rate, not the system.[/quote]

It''s also your opinion that McNamee is ineffective, yet it is he via second half substitutions in recent matches that saved/garnered at least 4 points.

[/quote]Do you think he made a difference yesterday?

[quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"][quote user="lincoln canary"]

My 4 4 2 would be;

Forster

holt           martin

[/quote]We would have to revert to a 4-4-2 as I really don''t think we have the players for it. Something like a 4-2-3-1 would suit our players and add width.             ForsterMartin  Doc  Askou  Drury        Smith     RussellC Martin  Hoops    McNamee                 HoltSmith and Russell act as holding midfielders. C Marin, Hoops and McNamee can switch around in these positions and get to the bylines.I think the diamond is working out very well for us so shouldn''t be changed for the sake of change, but a Plan B is good to have and the 4-2-3-1 adds a little extra attacking dimension without leaving gaps at the back.[/quote]

I like this :)

[quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"][quote user="lincoln canary"]

My 4 4 2 would be;

Forster

holt           martin

[/quote]

We would have to revert to a 4-4-2 as I really don''t think we have the players for it. Something like a 4-2-3-1 would suit our players and add width.

Forster
Martin  Doc  Askou  Drury
        Smith     Russell
C Martin  Hoops    McNamee
                 Holt

Smith and Russell act as holding midfielders. C Marin, Hoops and McNamee can switch around in these positions and get to the bylines.

I think the diamond is working out very well for us so shouldn''t be changed for the sake of change, but a Plan B is good to have and the 4-2-3-1 adds a little extra attacking dimension without leaving gaps at the back.
[/quote] Looks a good option the only problem is everyone is assuming it''s the formation that''s wrong why can''t it just be that the players are not performing? The diamond has taken us from nowhere to the top and all of a sudden it''s no good.

[quote user="morty"][quote user="Shyster"][quote user="morty"][quote user="ZippersLeftFoot"]

[/quote]Do you think he made a difference yesterday?[/quote]

Do you think McNamee was ineffective as a sub coming on against Brentford, Walsall & Brighton? All RECENT matches that we would''ve lost points in but for a change in formation with the former playing a vital role.Now stop acting like a numb-skull, I kind of expect better of you.

[quote user="Shyster"][quote user="morty"][quote user="Shyster"][quote user="morty"][quote user="ZippersLeftFoot"]

Do you think McNamee was ineffective as a sub coming on against Brentford, Walsall & Brighton? All RECENT matches that we would''ve lost points in but for a change in formation with the former playing a vital role.Now stop acting like a numb-skull, I kind of expect better of you.[/quote]Ah right, I''m a numb skull because I don''t agree with you?Yes, in some matches he has given us an extra dimension, but he was ineffective yesterday. And I don''t think he''s anywhere near getting a start either.

[quote user="morty"][quote user="Shyster"][quote user="morty"][quote user="Shyster"][quote user="morty"][quote user="ZippersLeftFoot"]

Do you think McNamee was ineffective as a sub coming on against Brentford, Walsall & Brighton? All RECENT matches that we would''ve lost points in but for a change in formation with the former playing a vital role.Now stop acting like a numb-skull, I kind of expect better of you.[/quote]Ah right, I''m a numb skull because I don''t agree with you?Yes, in some matches he has given us an extra dimension, but he was ineffective yesterday. And I don''t think he''s anywhere near getting a start either.[/quote]

McNamee can''t realistically start because there isn''t an effective or realistic formation to accommodate him - Why? Because like I''ve been saying all season, except now I feel I''ve got to shout to get the message through once and for all, WE HAVE NO PACE ON THE RIGHT-HAND SIDE OF THE F*CKING FOOTBALL PITCH!!

[quote user="Shyster"][quote user="morty"][quote user="Shyster"][quote user="morty"][quote user="Shyster"][quote user="morty"][quote user="ZippersLeftFoot"]

Do you think McNamee was ineffective as a sub coming on against Brentford, Walsall & Brighton? All RECENT matches that we would''ve lost points in but for a change in formation with the former playing a vital role.Now stop acting like a numb-skull, I kind of expect better of you.[/quote]Ah right, I''m a numb skull because I don''t agree with you?Yes, in some matches he has given us an extra dimension, but he was ineffective yesterday. And I don''t think he''s anywhere near getting a start either.[/quote]

McNamee can''t realistically start because there isn''t an effective or realistic formation to accommodate him - Why? Because like I''ve been saying all season, except now I feel I''ve got to shout to get the message through once and for all, WE HAVE NO PACE ON THE RIGHT-HAND SIDE OF THE F*CKING FOOTBALL PITCH!![/quote]Yeah, you''re probably right, but getting all shouty and soiling yourself isn''t going to change it.[;)]

How about Martin on the right? I think he played there for Luton.

Forster

R. Martin     Doc    Askou (If fit)   Rose

C. Martin    Hughes   Smith     Mcnamee

Hoolahan

Holt 

We must play Chris Martin, with Hughes and Smith protecting the back four, we could just let the front four do the attacking, they are more than enough to score in this league. This is of course if Russell isn''t playing, if he does then him in for Smith, I think Smith needs a well deserved rest. Anyone know when Drury is likely to be back?