Sign in to follow this  
taintedtom2000

East Anglian International Team

I was thinking about this the other day, whilst watching an old Northern Ireland on youtube I started to think about the reasons behind the different levels of acheivement and performance in relation to the pool of players that international sides have. It got me thinking about how good an International side from East Anglia would be? If hypothetically we were a separate state of the UK.

If you were to include the entirity of East Anglia (with the boundaries being the North Sea and the line from The Wash through Peterbourgh, Northampton and milton Keynes and following the line of The M25 and Thames back to the North Sea) who wouold make up the current hypothetical ''East Anglia'' International squad? And How many of them would be City players?

Obviously we''ll have to stick with those players born in East Anglia as it''ll get silly trying to find those ''Andy Townsend'' types whose grannies granny was born in the country of choice!

Just thought it might be an interesting one to ponder :-)

I''ll start, I think Adam Drury (Born in Cottenham, Cambrigeshire) would be a shoe in at left back!!

has danny mills retired? lol

we might have to start thinking bout using the jarvis brothers and hendo...im really struggling with this one!

It will be a cold day in hell before I would include Milton Keynes and Northampton as part of East Anglia. East Anglia is an ancient Kingdom within England not an ITV region.

Og and Rob Green was born in Surrey

East Anglia comprises the Counties of Norfolk and Suffolk and the Isle of Ely (through the marriage of Princess Ethelreda). No Cambs, Peterborough, Lincs, Essex, Milton Keynes etc just Norfolk, Suffolk and Ely. It''s more to do with the ancient kingdom of the East Angles than tv regions as somebody further up pointed out. Is Birmingham in Wales or Newcastle in Scotland? They may be relatively close but they do fall outside those historical kingdoms It would however be quite correct to describe people from Lincolnshire, and the old county of Peterborough simply as ''Anglians'' since the former were part of the ''Middle Angles'' kingdom, the latter the part of the ''South Angles'' kingdom. Cambridgeshire and Essex came under ''East Saxons'' (Essex) and South Essex/Greater London came under ''Middle Saxons''(Middlesex) and so those from these parts are not true ''Anglians'' by any description or stretching of historical boundaries.And Milton Keynes?.......... Well that didn''t exist until the 1960''s let alone during the Saxon age.

here''s a probable partial list of players i can think of... (forgive me if I have left anyone out!)

GK: Andy ''Judas'' Marshall, Mark Tyler, Joe Lewis, Declan Rudd, Jed Steer, Aaron Lee-Barrett, Richard Wright

DF: Matt Upson, Adam Drury, Alex Bruce (although I think he has declared himself for Ireland)

MF: Matty Gill, Tom Adeyemi, Ed Upson, Keiron Dyer,

ST: Chris Martin, Justin Hazell,

Looking through Wikipedia and like flown from the barclay, I am really struggling with players of note who where born in east anglia!

The team would probably have to be filled with youth team players and maybe some who have only just retired!!!

Good thread though, passed some time at work!!!

Andy ''Judas'' Marshall was born in Bury, the Bury near Manchester though so he would not sully this team.

Can we give people citizenship if they''ve lived in the area for long enough? The Japanese team have included naturalised Italians and Brazilians in the past.

I think it would be a bit like Athletic Bilbao who only pick Basque players.

If we did nationalise players then they would have to have played for an East Anglian club, therefore people like Finidi George, Matthias Svennson, Marc Libbra, Fabien Wilnis, would be the type of players included.

I''m afraid I couldn''t support a team with Fabien Wilnis in it though.

[quote user="Buckethead"]East Anglia comprises the Counties of Norfolk and Suffolk and the Isle of Ely (through the marriage of Princess Ethelreda). No Cambs, Peterborough, Lincs, Essex, Milton Keynes etc just Norfolk, Suffolk and Ely. It''s more to do with the ancient kingdom of the East Angles than tv regions as somebody further up pointed out. Is Birmingham in Wales or Newcastle in Scotland? They may be relatively close but they do fall outside those historical kingdoms

It would however be quite correct to describe people from Lincolnshire, and the old county of Peterborough simply as ''Anglians'' since the former were part of the ''Middle Angles'' kingdom, the latter the part of the ''South Angles'' kingdom. Cambridgeshire and Essex came under ''East Saxons'' (Essex) and South Essex/Greater London came under ''Middle Saxons''(Middlesex) and so those from these parts are not true ''Anglians'' by any description or stretching of historical boundaries.

And Milton Keynes?.......... Well that didn''t exist until the 1960''s let alone during the Saxon age.
[/quote]

Ok, was just going with the T.V style ''Anglia'' remit to give us at chance to get some players....Its my hypothetical country, I''ll say who''s hypothetically included!! lol!! [:P]

Very good post though as I had no idea that Cambridgeshire was never seen as part of Anglia [:$]

[quote user="norfolkchance1"]Could you include anyone whose played for two or more East Anglian clubs (and nationalise them) Alan Lee and Kevin Lisbie.[/quote]

Nice idea, but who wants Lisbie in their squad! lol