Sign in to follow this  
a1canary

Enough striker speak - we need a TALL defender!

At the start of the season, we all comented one way or another about the height, or lack of it, in our central defence. Many thought it may not be too much of a problem since most teams in the premiership play it to feet. I thought this too.

But on relfection, that''s rubbish. Yeah they play it to feet, but they can put a cross in or lump it long if they want, and more often than not a premiership team has the sort of quality player who can bring down a punt up field and hold it up or stick it straight in the net. And any manager with the slightest bit of nouse about them will look at us and go, "blimey, what a bunch of short a***s they''ve got back there, stick Duncan Ferguson on" or "stick it back post from the corner to Hierro and Jaidi" or if they''re Alan Curbishley, "lets work out some nifty set plays that exploit their lack of height at the back."

Nearly all the teams in the prem have someone in defence who commands the area and is invariably first to the ball - Campbelll, Terry, Weir, Jaidi, De Zeeuw, Hypia, Mellberg, Upson, King - they''re all men mountains. Where''s ours? We need one. I can''t help wondering about our Malky, he was that kind of player. Although he doesn''t seem to be getting any games for WHU - is he injured?

I think Jason De Vos is useful - that would wind ''em up down there if we could get him across the border! Unlikely though. What about Michael Dawson? He was the next bright England prospect not so long ago - now he''s managerless and on the verge of division 2.

What puzzles me is, Worthy was obviously thinking along these lines when he went after Primus - he was exactly what we needed. But when we didn''t get him, he seemed to give up the search for a similar kind of player. I thought maybe he was going to give Shackell his chance but he just won''t do that and i don''t understand why. I can''t decide now if it''s more important that he comes up with a 6ft 4in monster defender in January or an exciting, maybe equally big striker.

Wasn''t that what the Doc was bought for? Irrespective of what you think of him and whether he was a post Primus panic buy, if indeed it was in the thinking and the reason behind it, surely he''d have played him in position before early December?

Providing height brings presence rather than bulk and muscle alone, then we need it in our central pairing - I agree. Whether this is the Doc - too early to tell.

ive heard of a great player called Jason Shackell

HE young but could turn out to be a great player. I reckon we could sign him for aobut £2,500 from the reserves.....

Cmon people, think!!!, whats the point of wasting money on a new player when we have a load of players who fit the pitcher sitting in our own backyard?????

Yes i did notice we signed Gary Doherty - and? I''m not here to crucify him. He''s just not good enough.

The only thing he has on his side is youth (if he''s not lying about his age!) but he needs to improve VERY quickly if he''s to be our answer at the back.

Doc is a tall defender - but I agree with the last couple of posters I have doubts he will come good for us, but at the moment he remains a better option than Fleming.The Doc feels a lot like Malky - hard working, good in the air but too slow and lacking quality on the deck. The one thing Malky had was leadership (desperately missing in the defence this season) and if Doc can overcome Flem glares and lead the line we will improve immeasurably. Will he dare talk to the flem?OTBC