Sign in to follow this  
Canary Boy

GET RID OF HELVEG!!!

Supporter - noun - a person who backs a sports team and those associated with that team.

Fickle - adjective - changeable in purpose or affections.

Is there such thing as a fickle suppporter or are the two terms too much of a contradiction to be bedfellows?

Specifically on topic, if we get rid of Helveg we need to be asking questions like: who do we replace him with and how much will that cost us?  But, if you ask me, even considering those questions now is unfair.  The guy played well against Bolton and pretty poorly at times yesterday.  It''s the Southamptons, Palaces, West Broms and Blackburns of this world we have to be beating, not the Chelseas, Arsenals and Man Utds.  Anything against everyone else is a bonus as they are in playing in a different league in some ways to us right now...and the top three always will be, such is the influence of money in the game.  Like it or not, that''s the way it is.  Being so damning of one player (yet again by some on here) is just counterproductive to what all of us surely want come May next year. 

[quote]I''ve made a note of all the anti Helveg posters on here, purely because when he comes good, and he will!, I''m gonna have some fun. And if you start praising him, and saying that you never doubted him...[/quote]

Unidentified life form eh?

Well at least I am realistic and not sat in front of a crystal ball guessing what and what might not happen. That is sad.

I''m glad you''ve taken note of the HELLveg doubters, please include me and when he hits form consistently and starts playing like a normal footballer who can pass I shall fairly call a truce with you.

Helveg made A mistake, Wiz has made mistakes on this board, so have I. 

I think wiz was a little rough on the poster on this thread,that poster could''nt possibly help that stupid remark, could he?

I made a prediction that we would beat Chelsea 1.0 yesterday. How way out was that?

Lets analyse Helveg''s bloomer please, it was a simple back pass where he expected his own defender to be backing him up after making an interception.  But his own defender had gone AWOL back tracking as usual towards his penalty area, Helveg made a back pass based on pure footballing instinct, that some one would be obviously backing him up.

Helveg played well apart from thinking that backing up would an unwritten facet of our simple game. He showed what will be a class act for our club if his mates are able to do the obvious and concentrate. I also think Docherty will improve. Our defenders need to attack the high balls more aggressively in the penalty area if they are to win a percentage of them.

We were a little reluctant to go into the tackle yesterday, and we were still inclined to ball watch instead of running into spaces while watching and concentrating a bit better. Over all we are improving.  Sad to loose Svensson just as he was about to make his mark. OTBC!!!!

I still rate Helveg.

Did we call for Greenos head against Forest? when Johnson "loitered" behind him, then nicked the ball and scored! Basics, Basics, Basics....Who''s gonna be the scapegoat after Boxing Day? I sat in the chill wind in the Jarrold stand, watching the game, and had to show immense restraint, after having to listen to two middle aged "defecating orifices" for 90mins, bleating and banging on "Helvig this and Helvig that!" Yeah OK, the guy gave the ball away and they scored, but they did beat us by 4 goals not one. Helveg should play against Spurs, and Shackell should play, with Fleming ''resting'' on the bench.  OTBC and "Keep the Filth!" ;~)   

Being at the game yesterday, I would say that Helveg was our best player by a long way. He did make a simple error when giving the ball away, but apart from that he was superb. Its easy to critisise him, but there were alot of poor performances out there

Helveg is a class act and i can''t believe the amount of people on here giving him so much grief. Ok, he made a misplaced pass yesterday that led to the first goal but it was by no means a simple tap in for Duff, he still had plenty to do and the finish was first class. This is exactly the point. CHELSEA ARE A FIRST CLASS ACT!!. Against perhaps 16 other teams in the league the mistake would have gone unpunished. Norwich didn''t even play that bad, Chelsea were just unbelievably good. Did people actually believe we would go to chelsea and win? In the scheme of things  4-0 against the best team in europe wasn''t that  bad. Look at the other results, Baggies stuffed at Brum, Saints stuffed at Spurs etc. I know who i would prefer to get spanked by!! Who cares if Helveg has a dodgy game against the top sides in the league, as long as he produces against the lesser teams like he did against Bolton last week, then thats fine with me. After witnessing his display last week it became clear to me that Helveg is going to be a very large part of our survival plans for the rest of this season and i for 1 will give him my full support. Perhaps the hypercritical moaners on here should do the same!

I''d like to add my support to the pro-Helveg crew. I''ve skimmed through the posts and what no one has pointed out is that Doherty was actually going backwards whereas the rest of the defence were static/moving forward for the first goal. Had he moved forwards, he would have had a better chance of picking up what was, admittedly, a mis-hit pass. Has anyone had a go at Doherty for his error?

There''s no point repeating the "Danish captain", "10 years in Serie A" (although I just have!) because you either believe in the bloke or you don''t. What he gives us is a ready and willing outlet in midfield most of the time. Look at how he marshalls the others in a match and compare where the midfield generally sit in recent games compared to where they sat a month or so ago- basically a back 8 at times.

Stick with him and get Francis back for Sunday.

On Saturday, a City player had the class, talent, skill and composure to deliver a delightful 40-yard cross-field ball to Huckerby. Bet you can''t guess who though as everyone seems more interested in one mis-placed pass...

Personally I like Helveg and I like his style, but I thought had a nightmare for much of the game yesterday apart from few decent passes and some good pressure. Watching Fox Sports Latin America, the Argentine commentators (who incidentally are really very knowledgeable about English football) were also ademant that it wasn''t Helveg''s day and he should go off.

I think it''s quite reasonable to have a go at him - that pass was played totally blind and was nowhere near a yellow shirt. However, although many of you seem to think that a misplaced pass isn''t really that important and after all we lost by 4, you''d do well to remember that until they scored we were looking quite good and coping quite well, but after Duff was gifted the ball 30 yards from goal against 2 backpedalling and distant defenders, there was no doubt what the pattern of play would be.

As for 1st W******''s rude and pathetic comments about Canary Boy, I think they were totally uncalled for and once again, have confirmed what a small and pathetic mind he has. It''s a shame that one can''t post one''s opinion on here without being abused and insulted by those who think they have a divine right to insult whoever disagrees with their own tedious opinions day after day.

Someone the other day said these pages wouldn''t be the same without 1st W***** and I agree - they''d be a hell of a lot better.

i don''t think the opinions on Helveg are based on one misplaced pass. rather i think they''re based on his performances to date in general.maybe both his supporters and detractors are both biased but considering the hype from the former I would have expected more than I''ve seen so far. As far as I''m concerned he starts with a clean slate at each kick-off but Bolton match apart (when they all played well) i think he''s belied his pedigree

At the end of the day Helveg has made a basic error that did lead to a goal. However for the rest of the game he was equal or better than just about every other city player on the pitch.

You are right Peter - city fans are WAITING for this sort of error then overlook the contribution he makes for the rest of the game - this seasons Hendo sums it up to me.

That goal is only one of 32 in 18 games so far this season - and at the end of the game did not cost us any points. If these Helveg haters are going to be consistent why do we not see the same vitriolic over-reactional non-sensical posts after the Charlton, Everton, Blackburn games when popular members of the defence repeatedly fail to do their jobs and did costs us valuable points? What about the abysmal defending for the Drogba goal Flem, Doc? If you want a scapegoat for our league position it is not Helveg; listen to Hux (& Greeno who is less than happy with the performance of the back 4) who confirm we have to defend far better.

The whole team were poor today. City were beaten by a better team that cost 40 times our own squad. The city team have to perform far better - that is not down to a disproportionate contribution from 1 player. Helveg did OK but cost us a goal. In the end we lost to the far betters ide who could have put us to the sword had the really WANTED a big score in the second half. Its time to move on.

Remember how down we were after the Fulham game? Bolton came after that and last weeks euphoria was equally over the top. Get a grip guys - we are no worse off than last week and there are several long months of ups and downs to come. Enjoy christmas, have several drinks to drown our sorrows and come back in full voice for an improved city next Sunday.

KICK IT OFF...

It was a terrible abberation at any level of football, and quite simply, we were doomed from the moment the ball hit the net. People around me at Carra Rud, were blaming Doherty for the second, conveniently erasing from their memories Mckenzies punt back into our danger area from inside the Chelski half, Doherty then got to the loose ball first only to give it to a blue shirt! Crowd favourites make errors  too. However when a crowd favorourite makes an error its writtten off or ignored.    

It wasn''t just the misplaced pass Peter, he stumbled over the ball when in easy possession giving it away, he hoofed the ball into touch when he meant to tap it to the winger, he had an awful game.

I, along with most others, was jumping around in delight when I heard Helveg had signed in the summer, but in reality, and nobody can contradict this, for the majority of the time he has been ineffective on the pitch.

If another player was not playing well, (McVeigh, Holt, Drury etc.) people can say get them out of the team and that is OK.  But people seem offended when it is someone with Helveg''s ''calibre''.  Yeah, Helveg played for Inter Milan last season, but this season he has been poor.  Yeah, he was the best defender in Euro 2004, but this season he has been poor.  He shouldn''t be picked because of his past achievements.

Some people were on Helveg''s back earlier on in the season, and I defended him feeling that he needed some time to adapt to the Premiership, but for what we must be paying him a week, he has had enough time and I have lost patience with him.  I''m not saying Helveg out, he simply needs to be dropped from the team, his performances not warranting a shirt.  If later in the season he recovers some form, great, he deserves another chance.  But quite simply, at the moment, his is not playing well enough to warrant a place in a Premiership football team.

I too was thrilled when he signed for us, but, ignoring the occasional highs (like the 40 yard pass Peter mentioned) and lows (the "other" pass), and looking at his average contribution, it hasn''t been up to expectations. He may well have underestimated how hard he would have to work, with lower grade players around him than he''s used to, but given his ability and experience he should be capable of adapting. I think it''s just a question of whether he can be bothered to.

I must admit I have been less than complimentary about Helveg on this site over the last few weeks,however I have tried to look at him more objectively in the last couple of games,and yes THAT pass was a shocker,conversely a lot of his his game was constuctive.Overall I  am coming round to the fact there is a place for him in the team,but at present [due to injuries]the mid-field partnerships aren''t working ,roll on the return of "the phantom".

I''m sorry, I know I''m spectacularly in the minority here but when the only thing a player does in a game which fans can take positives from is make ONE good pass or do ONE good tackle, it is not good enough.  I could name several occasions on Saturday when Helveg gave the ball away, not just for the goal. 

For a player to succeed in the Premiership he needs to perform for 90 minutes, not have flashes of inspiration

[quote]Personally I like Helveg and I like his style, but I thought had a nightmare for much of the game yesterday apart from few decent passes and some good pressure. Watching Fox Sports Latin America, the ...[/quote]

"Without 1st Wizard...these boards would be a hell of a lot better!".

Well spit blood BIC, it aint gonna happen mate!!. 

GET RID OF HELVEG!!!  

if writing in capitals (which means you are shouting) and writing such a pathetic comment is not childish I don''t know what is.   BIC you have leapt to the defence of Canary Boy stating that Wiz is childish.   I think you were just waiting for a chance to have a go at Wiz and have failed to notice what a dumb ass Topic this is anyway.

As a supporter of the team, I would like to see Positive Criticism, not blatant school boy rubbish.   Had Canary boy posted something along the lines of "Hevleg had a shocker" and then continued the thread by stating his opinion is that Helveg should be dropped then I would have much more time and respect for him, but this drivel is pointless and unstructered and only shows he doesn''t have a great deal of knowledge of football.

With fans like this on your back I wouldn''t care how much money I was earning a week.  What really annoys me is that Drury and Edworthy have had shockers weeks in week out this season and of late Flemming has joined them, but nobody wants them dropped.   Eddy was torn apart all match and is often out of position on set pieces.  Helveg should be playing right back.

Someone said why did Safri go off over Helveg?  Hahaha, Safri was chasing shadows all game, I can''t remember a thing he did that was noticeable, that''s why.   Some of you really show how little you know about football sometimes.

At the end of the day he gave the ball away a few times against the best team in England (possibly Europe), so what?  Helveg has brought strucure to the midfield, they no longer step on the toes of the back four and they look more organised whilst retaining possession a great deal more.  Once the passing is perfect 80% of the time then it will be a well oiled machine.  Also once Franics is back over Safri (who has now disappointed in every chance he has been given) things will start to look allot better.  A much bigger problem is the defence and its lack of organisation at times.

FANS please stop finding one player to blame over defeats, its pathetic.  Some people did it with Holt (I never blamed him, just thought he was poor), some people did it with Hendo and now its Helveg.  It''s a TEAM game and that goes for the fans too.

I''ve been harsh on Helveg recently too and I think a lot of it is just down to dissapointment. As has been said, I, like virtually every Norwich fan was really excited when he signed in the summer. Maybe we just expected too much from him.

I love all the "I was happy when Helveg signed but I have been disappointed"  What a load of S***.  Disappointed by what exactly?  Sounds to me like a lot of people convinced themselves that signing Helveg would Guarantee  us staying in the PL and he would singlehandedly win us matches. 

I think we have to realise that he needed time to get adjusted to English football and now he is NOT playing in his preferred position. 

Well I must say thank you to Barclay in Chile for your support. Personal attacks on this forum do not go unnoticed and is not really required. Saying that, I have said (in retaliation only) one or two things about 1st Wizard, but only through being frustrated that he thought my comments about Hellveg were unfounded.

As for the Stevenage Fan, well, what can I say? What right have you to say I know nothing about football? Tell me what your right is, we''d all like to hear it. I don''t like your superior, jugdemental attitude either and think you should drop it for future posts.

We are all entitled to an opinion and are allowed to share it on here. Me, Barclay in Chile, you, 1st Wiz, Dumble, No Legs and all the rest of us. It even spices things up when Peter Raven comes on and relates his opinion. I am not sure whether he is supposed to be neutral or not (I hope not) but it keeps the place alive.

I''m sure this post and the thoughts on here have all originally come from Helveg''s outburst (plus the national coach of Denmark) saying that Thomas should be playing for a better team somewhere else. Yeah right! On Saturday''s performance, I believe Kidderminster need a hand at the bottom of Division Two.

superior me?    never intended to come across like that.

Just thought all the personal insults that are flying about were unfortunate and could have been prevented had you been a little more careful and, dare I say without sounding superior, grown up.

Everyone knows that writing in CAPITALs means that you are shouting and to me someone shouting GET RID OF HELVEG after only his 3rd appearance, in a position that is not his chosen one, is ridiculous to say the least.   After the Bolton game people praised him, after the Chelsea game hes out, it''s pathetic and in "my opinion" shows some fans for what they really are.

I respect everyones opinion and you are entitled to yours the same as the rest of us, but you go about it the wrong way.   Just reading your title got me angry before I had even read on.  Try expressing your opinion in a civilised fashion and you might get more buy in from people on both sides of the fence and the whole flow of the debate would be that little more adult.

By the way I never said that you know nothing about football and I never said that I know more than you   Also nobody needs to be given a right to talk about football, its not something you earn, you either know what you are talking about or you don''t, other people can usually decide pretty quickly which it is and I would guess your choice of subject hasn''t helped your cause

Thing is Canary Boy, you''re asking for it with comments like this -

"Yeah right! On Saturday''s performance, I believe Kidderminster need a hand at the bottom of Division Two."

Name the Norwich player that was better than Helveg on Saturday?

And if you can do that fairly, then I would like to see your posts "GET RID OF FLEMING" because he didn''t pick up properly, "GET RID OF DOC" cos he gave the ball away too, "GET RID OF EDWORTHY" because he has forgotten where to stand, "GET RID OF BENTLEY" because he can''t pass, "GET RID OF SAFRI" read Bentley comments, "GET RID OF HUCKERBY" because ... well, was he actually playing on Saturday(?), and "GET RID OF MACKENZIE" because he is a headless chicken.

This thread really has stirred up a hornets nest! Clearly everyone has a right to their own opinion and this site is meant for people to shares these with each other. Those who abuse it with personal attacks on fellow posters is not on imo. Clearly some people think Helveg is great others not - thats fair enough - but to start getting nasty at people because they have a different opionion is just not on. Rant over.

City did us proud on saturday even with the howlers - bring on Spurs and lets give them a hiding.

PS - I am VERY sorry to see Sven out - he was just getting upto to speed - seems our luck is in short supply right now on the injury front

What about the mistake that Eddy made last week to give Bolton their corner from which they scored.  Did''nt hear anybody slagging him off for that.  I think the whole thing of slating Helveg for this mistake is pathetic and so childish it just astounds me that some people can call themselves supporters.  Canary Boy grow up - how many footballers in the league every week makes a poor pass that may result in the opposition scoring - the answer bloody loads.  Has Beckham or Lampard ever put a pass askew.  Has Owen and Rooney or Henry never missed a sitter.  Of course they have and will continue to do so as long as they are playing.

Blimey if it was up to Canary Boy dropping everyone as soon as they made a mistake we would have the Reserves turning out on a saturday cos the first 11 would all be dropped.

I personally do not think Huckerby has set the world on fire this season so does Canary Boy want to drop him (personally it may do him good and give him a breather). 

Stevenage Fan. Ok...thanks for your post and comments.

Who says I am shouting? I am actually sat in my office thinking VERY carefully about what I say. And I didn''t shout VERY or anything else for that matter. Capital letters tend to stand out and I''ve achieved that with this post, don''t you agree? I''ve made some good friends on here and am not about to loose any of them (including yourself) by shouting.

I read most posts on here and that includes yours also. I would like to thank you also for adding to my post a few weeks ago about the CanariesWorld complaints. I included your point when writing to Premium TV and I think that got us all some extra commentary free.

And Bananaman, my get rid of helveg (written in lower-case) post was my thoughts to Thomas'' general play all this season, not just the Chelsea game, although that was pretty bad. I just feel that in all his appearances this year, whether it be a start or from the subs bench, Helveg has been well below par. There have been one or two flashes of football from him, but I think it''s time for him to either shape up quick or ship out! We are half way through the season you know!

I am currently shocked by the punishment you can receive by making just one error in the Premiership. It seems that no matter how much you dominate a game, if you make one mistake, these teams can punish us. We saw it against Everton, Arsenal, Bolton and others. It''s time our players realised that and stop giving the ball to the other team. The reason I am not calling for Hux''s head, Fleming''s or Bentley''s is that because their general play has been VERY good (not shouting!). However, Marc Edworthy, Gary Doherty and Youseff Safri might start to look over their shoulders as they are starting to consistently show signs of poor play, and I have plenty of posts left in me yet!

NavMan....please read my posts. I am not talking about 1 GAME!!!

We cannot afford to keep on giving the ball away to the other team, even NW keeps saying that we are giving the ball away too cheaply...not just me.

I am talking about the fact that we are half way through the season and I''m not judging players on 1 MISTAKE!!!

Get real, look and learn.