Sign in to follow this  
Canary Boy

GET RID OF HELVEG!!!

I cannot believe that he is playing ''HELL''veg in midfield!!! He basically has lost us the game today because he cannot pass a ball to a team mate.

I can do that, I used to do it at school all the time...it''s very simple and easy. And he is being paid thousands to do it!!!

Sounds like you still are at school mate with a comment like that.

Helveg will prove to be a quality player for us IF we dont give up on him,  and his experience can be key in keeping us up this season.

The only thing he will do for us ''mate'' is send us down to the Championship.

Passing a ball to a team mate is the most simple, basic and straight-forward action in football and HELLveg can''t do it.

I agree - get rid of him - he is past it and not upto the premier league - I am not at school but the way Hell road played and the stupid mistakes he made "he is"..... Apart from that the boys do bl--dy well and should be proud.

He didn´t play well tonight AND he gave a goal away. But did Huckerby have a great game? Did Fleming have an outstanding game?? Everyone makes misstakes, unfortunatley it cost us their first goal but don´t make him the black sheep just because that!

Helsinki: Let me get this right. Helveg has played and against the best players in the world throughout his career in Serie A and captained his national team in Euro 2004 where he was statistically the best defender. But despite this he is ''not up to Premier League''... Good One. Sorry but you are talking a load of crap. He is vastly experienced and in the past few games he has shown what quality he has.  Helveg will be one of our key players in our relegation fight after christmas. Yeah he has misplaced a few passes but so does everybody. If you wanted every guy out of the team when they pass to the opposition we would have lost all our players by now. People make mistakes. Deal with it.

Dear oh dear...some people aren''t happy at all. Peter - you should censor all of these anti-Helveg posts
I am with Rob on this one...you can''t totally blame Helveg for the goals today; we were simply outclassed which is what you should expect from a team costing at least 5 times more than Delia''s lifetime earnings. Chelsea are in a different league as it is said every week by the managers (top 4, middle 8 and bottom 8 I think is the general idea of the Premiership split) so it has come to be expected that Chelsea will hammer anyone below 10th place. Helveg is a class player, but you need a team of class players to succeed and we simply don''t have the resources.

Canary Boy - Schoolboy comments...your playground is a lot different to FCR or any other professional ground and I daresay you have given the ball away many times during lunch-break!

Helveg is a top quality player. He was excellent today. So he made a mistake - whoopsy woo. But does anybody congratulate him when he is constantly hassling players. No. When he performs a superb pass. No. Give him a break. I agree with the last post - he is essential to our future. Everyone went on and on about the brilliance of Bentley last week - have they forgotten his shocking start to the season. What did Bentley do today after the first fifteen minutes. Oh apart from nibble pathetically at peoples ankles. Norwich some great new players. Give them a chance and stop moaning.

See No Ipswich Hear No Ipswich Play No Ipswich - lets keep it that way.

damn right Rob,

He IS class but he needs time to learn the speed and ferocity of the premiership! He''s played in Italy for 10 years and it''s nothing like the premiership!! How can he get up to speed if he has 2 games and then gets dropped!!!!!!

Anyway, he''s meant to be a right back not a central midfielder...... anyway, best let him have a bad day against someone who we had no chance of beating than someone who we can beat!!!!

Bring on Tottenham, it''ll be tough but the boys can do it!!

Just think, could be West Brom!!!!

i really do think he should defently be dropped!

Safri and Francis to start next week!

Why in the world did worthy take SAFRI off for mcveigh, i mean it was clearly HELVEG who needed to come off

so people have gone from saying how well he played last weekend that he was become a class player for us which i still think is ture

to saying he is rubbish and that we should get rid of him

come on guys please less of the jumping the gun

[quote]Helsinki: Let me get this right. Helveg has played and against the best players in the world throughout his career in Serie A and captained his national team in Euro 2004 where he was statistically th...[/quote]

Rob

Norwich City are playing in the Premier League.  Here.  Now.  TODAY.  I couldn''t give a s**t if Helveg was good in Euro 2004 or Serie A- He is not good in the Premiership and that is the only point that counts.  You are basing him on his reputation.  Reputation doesn''t win games.

[quote]I cannot believe that he is playing ''HELL''veg in midfield!!! He basically has lost us the game today because he cannot pass a ball to a team mate. I can do that, I used to do it at school all the tim...[/quote]

Get rid of Canary Boy and his kind now!.

I thought posts like this might pour in, but not this quickly.

Thomas and the Doc, know they messed up, and they don''t need moronic idiots like you to remind them.

Be honest, you were just waiting for the slightest chance for your childish rant.

Its Christmas, and we still ain''t in the bottom 3, be bloody grateful for that!. 

[quote]Rob Norwich City are playing in the Premier League. Here. Now. TODAY. I couldn''t give a s**t if Helveg was good in Euro 2004 or Serie A- He is not good in the Premiership and that is the only poi...[/quote]

DumbleWhoGivesaDamn:Have you actually seen him play? I guess not unless it is what you see on the edited highlights from your armchair.He was class against Bolton and apart from the first goal had a good game today.As I said before his experience is vital to us. We do not have many players who have much top flight experience and he has that in abundance. No not in the Premier League granted but if he continues to play for us we will improve. I am getting fed up with the likes of you who cannot see through a few mistakes. I bet you do not notice how many times Drury or Edworthy are caught out of position or how many times Holt gives away possession.The guy plays for NCFC and if you are a supporter you would give him a real chance and not be on his back after just a couple of errors.

[quote]Get rid of Canary Boy and his kind now!. I thought posts like this might pour in, but not this quickly. Thomas and the Doc, know they messed up, and they don''t need moronic idiots like you to remind...[/quote]

1st Wizard? Are you still going to be singing Helveg''s praises in the Championship next season? Just how bloody long are you going to give him?

It is quite clear that he is NOT up to Premiership standards...he has been largely disappointing from day one. You saw today how just one slip up can result in punishment and we keep punishing ourselves every week.

Sorry, but your permissive approach will surely end us up in relegation whereas a more disciplined, hard look at one or two of our players performances needs to be addressed. Either we pass the ball properly and stay up or we pick players who cannot pass a simple ball and go down...that is the harsh but basic truth that you cannot see!

[quote]DumbleWhoGivesaDamn:Have you actually seen him play? I guess not unless it is what you see on the edited highlights from your armchair.He was class against Bolton and apart from the first goal had a g...[/quote]

Excuse me Rob?  All I have done is register my opinion on a player and his performance.  I did not launch a personal attack on you in anyway.  I''d appreciate it if you did the same.  What on earth makes you think I am an armchair supporter?  Because I have an opinion that is different to yours? 

Yes I have seen Helveg play.  A lot.  In fact of all the games that Helveg has contributed in for more than 15 minutes I have only missed Birmingham away and Bolton at home.  I have seen him play a lot and I have been thoroughly disappointed in him.

He was not "class" today.  To make such a statement would be scandalous!  He gave away the ball on numerous occasions, more obviously than any other player.

I''m sorry if I "cannot see through a few mistakes".  But those mistakes are pretty bloody important wouldn''t you say?  We need players in our team who will improve it.

Helveg might have experience, but he has absolutely zero experience of the English game and how we play it.  As soon as he gets this, and gets to grips with the game, he might then be a decent midfielder for Norwich city

Canary Boy, you do not seem to see the qualities that Helveg has. Cant you get it into your head that everyone can misplace a few passes now and then. Even the likes of Beckham and Bergkamp. But for every misplaced pass there are a great deal more good passes. Allow Helveg to have a good run and then judge him. Dont come on here slagging him off after one major mistake.

My my, we are all up in arms tonight, what a difference seven days make!? I guess the inquests into the Chelski defeat have started early and everyone''s clambering to get their points across - and its clearly evident in some cases how some people view Helveg''s performance today. Let the war of words commence..!?

i think a lot of people on here are critisising each other for there opinions. everyone on this board has not the same knowledge of football as each other. i personally believe we could of spent our money better than on helveg. i was excited to see him come here in the summer but has made a degree of school boy errors and i think a few people are starting to get very frustrated with him although im not doubting hes a good player, i just believe we have built him up a great deal before the season because of his experiance and reputation that he was always going to get knocked, im a great believer of giving a player there fair chance but i just feel we are losing out on time and a different player could do a better job than helveg in the immediate future.

Safri did nothing, that''s why he came off.

Helveg stayed on because we needed his experience and leadership. He was the only player who was shouting at the players to liven up and keep battling when we were 4-0 down; Helveg was the only one of our midfielders with the desire to still compete and hustle in the last 20 minutes.

From what I can tell, Helveg''s main jobs in midfield is to: A) Get it from the back four and give it simple B) Break up play and pressure the ball C) Organise and talk to the other players (We don''t have enough talkers)

Against Bolton, Helveg did all three superbly well...Who was it who tackled Jay Jay Okocha superbly half way inside the Norwich half and helped keep the ball for a great succession of passes before Svensson''s goal? Yes, that would be Thomas Helveg.

Helveg wasn''t that bad today, and you must remember that he was playing against two of the best midfielders in the world (Makelele and Lampard)

The biggest thing for me that keeps my faith in Helveg to be a great player for us is that he is a good, honest professional. Those who accuse Helveg of being lazy and simply here for a last easy pay day must be watching a different player to me. Helveg does not want his legacy to be tarnished by a ''disastrous'' spell in England. He could have taken the easy option; he could have signed for OB in the summer and strolled around, being the most famous and highest paid player at that club. Instead he opted to come and work in a new country...in a game vastly different to the one he is used to. Thomas Helveg wants to prove to himself that he is good enough for this division, and he wont stop until he has proved all of you doubters wrong.

It does take time to settle in England, some players take longer than others. Juan Pablo Angel is a great example of how long it can take players to settle. I know Norwich City need the ''real'' Thomas Helveg right now, but if we as fans keep persevering and giving our support, as well as Helveg (Whose performances have got much better recently) then come the last 10 games, Helveg could prove to be the difference between staying up and relegation. Helveg really can be that influencial. He has grit, determination, and a great understanding of the defensive side of the game...could be vital.

Don''t write off Helveg just yet!

On another note, I''m delighted to see Jonson is finally settling in. I think today was the first time he stayed on for the full 90? I think he just needs a goal now and we''ll see even more from him.

Out of the bottom three at Christmas...not bad going at all. West Brom are gone, Southampton are close to going, so its out of us, Crystal Palace and Blackburn for that other spot...going to be very close I think; maybe even the lowest points total for staying up...around 34 perhaps. 6 home wins a few points on our travels and we''ll be fine!

Come on CITY!!!

For those who arnt looking from it at an overall view:

He did play quite a good game, was involved with the ball alot, made some good tackles and also played some good balls here and there. And ok, he made a few mistakes, but doesnt anyone?

I mean its not a reason to throw him out of the club, he played very well last week and not so well this week. Chelsea are a team who will pick up on peoples mistakes and bang it into the net, and they will also score some great goals (ala, their 3rd, great passing move!) And we just have to admire their class. Ok, lets look at bolten, palace etc. they are all teams that arnt really too dangerous, yes we made mistakes against them BUT they didnt pick up on them like chelsea with a big sqaud of expensive players who will obviously band the ball in the net if they had the chance. Norwich played some great football against a great team and helveg was involved with a lot of it.

Welcome to the premiership people, the teams here are obviously better than us and you have to accept that. Players are goign to have on-off games, but thats life. Sure if you want to drop Helveg, i can see where your coming from. BUT we should not sell him in January. He WILL turn out to be a class player when he adapts, like jonson for example, playing his best football atm.

I think this formation is bringing the best out in most of our players (joson, bently, svennson) but unfourtuantly Helveg isnt one of them........

You have to look at the good and the bad, and not just the bad.

Just wait and judge Helveg after a good run, like jonson after a while mhe may turn out to be one of the best players at the club.

You know, this constant baiting of Helveg is really beginning to get my goat.   What sort of player would we rather have on the team - class or clogger?   But then this is the deep seated mentality of some of the fans who follow Norwich - and they don''t all sit in the City Stand...

It''s the small town mentality of people who claim to be "fans" and who claim to be all knowing about the game who chip and snipe at players and who basically can''t see beyond their own over-inflated sense of importance.  GIVE THE GUY A BREAK.  He is a class act - yes it will take time to get used to the frenetic pace of the premiership after the walking pace of Serie A, but once he has a number of games under his belt - and with the support of equally skillful team mates (and that''s another question) then there is no reason why he should not become a successful part of the team...

And before anyone has a go about not going to any games etc - get a life, and grow up.  Let''s have a bit more mature discussion on this board please.

Rant over.

Have to agree with Rob on this one. Helveg should not be dropped for one poor game. In the match against Bolton he was constantly talking and encouraging players around him. Keep him, the guy is class, but having everybody on his back will not help him. He is a Norwich City player, support him!

It seems a bit harsh to be blaming Helveg solely for yesterday''s performance. Come on, can anyone name a player who stood out yesterday? Who deserves to keep their place for next week? On yesterday''s showing you could justifiably change all 11 players for next week. Does anyone remember Huckerby''s hugely ineffective performance? Fleming often being found in no-man''s land? Jonson''s initial poor ball that by-passed Fleming and left the Doc having to hurry a pass, leading to the second goal? Does anyone remember the poor marking for the third goal, and the lack of anyone prepared to make a tackle? What about the non-existant marking for the fourth goal?

Yes, Helveg was careless with his pass, as were Jonson and the Doc for the second goal. Occasionally, mistakes happen. Most of us expected a sound beating and a sound beating was what we got. I still think Helveg will prove crucial to us if we''re serious about staying up. Maybe it''s time to move him to right back, given that that is actually his strongest position, and that I don''t think Edworthy is any better than a good first division right back.

Let''s forget about this game, and move on to trying and beating a suddenly-quite-good Spurs!

For me Campbell sums it up.

For large parts of the game we stopped Chelsea playing. I was unfortunately with the home fans, but they were mostly complimentary about the way we played. I think we surprised them especially for the first 30 minutes!

We aren''t just hoofing it upfield any more, Helveg links the defence to midfield nicely. Yes it was a terrible mistake, but I didn''t see him consistently losing possession the way some people are suggesting. I think he has played well enough to deserve a decent run, and I believe he will get even better for us as a result.

That was my first time seeing the first team this season, and I came away proud of the team. It wasn''t like Chelsea were rampaging around our penalty area for 90 minutes, which is what a lot of people expected! We didn''t make much of an impression on their goal either, which was disappointing, I felt Huckerby was isolated too much. He needs more support, he frequently had nobody to pass too, and had no choice but to take on 3 defenders.

[quote]Have to agree with Rob on this one. Helveg should not be dropped for one poor game. In the match against Bolton he was constantly talking and encouraging players around him. Keep him, the guy is class...[/quote]

I''ve made a note of all the anti Helveg posters on here, purely because when he comes good, and he will!, I''m gonna have some fun.

And if you start praising him, and saying that you never doubted him, I''m going to come back and hound you, like you have him.

Especially the unidentified life form who started this bloody thread!.

Are you that surprised though Wiz? I get the impression people were praying for the sort of slip-up that happened yesterday, and that is depressing. Forget the fact that he had a better game than most of the other City players...

The same baiting happened with Hendo last season and it doesn''t help the player or the team.

[quote]I''ve made a note of all the anti Helveg posters on here, purely because when he comes good, and he will!, I''m gonna have some fun. And if you start praising him, and saying that you never doubted him...[/quote]

Unidentified life form eh?

Well at least I am realistic and not sat in front of a crystal ball guessing what and what might not happen. That is sad.

I''m glad you''ve taken note of the HELLveg doubters, please include me and when he hits form consistently and starts playing like a normal footballer who can pass I shall fairly call a truce with you.