Sign in to follow this  
ZLF

Time for a defensive change

Given the fact that in the last 11 games city have failed to keep a clean sheet and have conceeded 20 goals despite playing mainly fellow relegation candidates the time has come to make some wholesale changes to the back four. Unfortunately the club simply does not currently have the cover in the squad to do just that with only Brennan (not as good as Drury) or Shackell (destined to be overlooked while at city). I cant see worthy doing what is needed which would be to have a back 4 of Helveg, Shackell, Charlie, Drury - 4 players who can defend and pass a ball.

The focus has been on our strikers for the lack of goals but the real problem is at the back - they do not appear to know how to defend, do not talk to each other unless its to cast some blame on a team mate or to start a slanging match (so professional) and lack a true organiser to who can get the shape right and space and players marked. The sloppy play of the back 4 is having an effect on Greeno, potentially the best keeper the club has ever had, who is looking indecisive on crosses. Greeno deserves some protection.

Which defenders should Worthy be looking to sign in Jan? A centre back and probably a right back (helveg will never be given the over-genorous fair hearing that Eddie has had) are essentials in my view and far more needed than a striker. Ideally we should sign all three but we all know that the budget is not there for that.

The only rumours so far are Henchoz and Bramble - both of who would improve our defence but one is way past his best and the other is simply an ex blue. Joleon Lescott could be worth an investment but I expect his wages at wolves are high, as are Kellys at leeds. Other than that I am struggling to name anyone else.

Help please?

OTBC

ZPL

Only help I can give you is moral support. I concur with your views about the short term best back 4. I think its time Fleming had a little break as Worthy would say, and believe Charlton and Shackell - experience and youth, physically short and tall but both mobile, could work out. Would also prefer to see Helveg in his more customary position. Would tighten the defence and make way for someone else in midfield.

Agree middle defence is a January priority but can''t say who. Suspect Bramble is being considered - but please no, not because he''s ex-Tahn but simply because he''s a lumbering carthorse. No better than Doc.

How about a complete radical re-think about our defence.

1.start defending corners?

2.start defending free kicks?

3.lets get really radical .. when we have the ball in defence lets attempt to pass it out to someone wearing yellow !

Like it no legs LOL. I had hoped that is what Worthy and his coaching team have been doing for the last few months and had just assumed that the players simply couldnt do it - go on worthy give it a go - it may work!OTBC

Wow, no complaints with the defence?!

You are an easily pleased supporter, Northern Canary!

I have a lot of complaints, but they are exactly the same as Zippers'' so I shall just say I agree - something HAS to be done.

Couldn''t agree more Zipper.  To win all our home games this season we would have roughly had to score between 2-4 goals.  Personally I think we will have to score at least 3 to beat the Spuds because I can see them getting 2 against us.

I think Lescott would be a good buy and if he is fit Dean Richards could be a bargain but it all depends.  It’s the same problem as the striker debate.  Can we afford to take a risk on someone like Gabbidon who has potential, go for an experienced Premiership defender like Henchoz or try and loan someone like Huth?

Yes to the argument of this thread.  It''s been my opinion after most of the games I''ve seen this Autumn that we needed some new qualities in defence.  Like many I am pinning my hopes on the January sales but am mentally prepared to be disappointed!