Sign in to follow this  
BlyBlyBabes

Half-way....46 points from 23 matches.

Now will our average of 2 points per game for the season to date be enough for automatic promotion if maintained? That would give us 90 points.

Anybody have the stats on the last 10-15 seasons on what has been the points totals histoically required?

OTBC

[quote user="BlyBlyBabes"]

Now will our average of 1.96 points per game for the season to date be enough for automatic promotion if maintained? That would give us 90 points.

Anybody have the stats on the last 10-15 seasons on what has been the points totals histoically required?

OTBC

[/quote]

* Sorry [:$]

Corrections above. thyay''s why we need an edit button![;)]

OTBC

I know that Leicester won the league on 96 points last season BlyBly and that Peterborough were probably a good 10 points or so behind them.

This season though I expect the points totals to be a little higher for those teams at the top, so am expecting that you will need to aim for at least 90+ points for automatic promotion.

We are definitely on course to do that with Leeds, Charlton and Colchester still being our only competitors for the automatic spots.

Point totals for the 2nd placed team for the last few years in League One:2009: Posh 89 pts2008: Forest 82 pts2007: Bristol City 85 pts2006: Colchester 79 pts2005: Hull 86 pts2004: QPR 83 pts2003: Crewe 86 pts2002: Reading 84 ptsSeems so.

The second placed teams in this league for the last 10 seasons are as follows ~

08-09 Peterborough 89 points

07-08 Nottingham Forest 82 points

06-07 Bristol City 85 points

05-06 Colchester Utd 79 points

04-05 Hull 86 points

03-04 QPR 83 points

02-03 Crewe 86 points

01-02 Reading 84 points

00-01 Rotherham 91 points

99-00 Burnley 88 points

In 07-08 and 06-07 the top 3 teams went up automatically. So only Rotherham had more than 90 points!

Although not quite 2 points a match (another win is needed for that), 45 points again in the last 23 would yield 90 points for the season which generally has been enough for one of the automatic promotion places. After Charlton''s draw at Brentford, City at last have their fate in their own hands. No longer do we have to ''catch'' Charlton, we only have to match them for the rest of the season and keep our goal difference above theirs (and Colchester''s, come to that).

Still a lot of ups and downs to go, but it''s an even race now and we must be just favourites on goal difference! Beating both Charlton and Colchester away would help!

[:$] NO! the top 3 teams didn''t go up automatically, but the 3rd placed team won the Play Offs. (Sorry!) So in the last 10 seasons only 2 of the third placed teams got promoted.

Best to look up the points tally of this Divisions runaway leaders and see what points the runners up garnered.

Considering Gunn and Butterworth dropped 8 out of 9 points in the first 3 league games of the season, and it took 7 or 8 games under Lambert for us to really find our feet and get that team and formation that has proved so fruitful over the last 19 games or so, i have a feeling that we have a great oppertunity in the second half of the season to really improve on some majorly poor form at the beginning of the first half of it.Due to that poor form, and on the premise that we won''t drop 24 points this next half of the season, i see no reason why we can''t end up with a point tally exceeding 90.

[quote user="Big Bad John"]Considering Gunn and Butterworth dropped 8 out of 9 points in the first 3 league games of the season, and it took 7 or 8 games under Lambert for us to really find our feet and get that team and formation that has proved so fruitful over the last 19 games or so, i have a feeling that we have a great oppertunity in the second half of the season to really improve on some majorly poor form at the beginning of the first half of it.

Due to that poor form, and on the premise that we won''t drop 24 points this next half of the season, i see no reason why we can''t end up with a point tally exceeding 90.
[/quote]

Exactly, take Gunn out of the equation and we should be able to yield another 50 pts or so.

I agree that this present team keeping its form for the rest of the season is capable of ending with well above 90 points. The 8 points lost in the first 3 games shouldn''t happen again, but other ups and downs will happen (remember Hoolahan''s long-term injury last season). If Holt picked up a serious injury, the potential would change dramatically. I feel sure that Lambert is aware of that and will try to plan for contingencies. I feel fairly confident now that City can outpoint both Charlton and Colchester but those away games at each will also play a big part.