Sign in to follow this  
lord montyjones

what was the catalyst for the upturn in citys season ?

[quote user="lord montyjones"]fight back v charlton ? seemed to install belief and they''ve never looked back[/quote]

Good call.But i still think the 1-7! 

Despite being loyal to a fault, Delia and Michael deciding that not only did Munby and Doncaster have to be replaced but with people who had, indeed, been their critics. Although it will be a cold day in hell before many on here admit it, this was the catalyst for ensuring further mediocrity would not be tolerated.

The day that McNally shown that NCFC had some balls and would have their chosen man Lambert as manager no matter what.

This was shortly followed by Lambert ringing the changes in City''s line up and a 5-2 victory at home to Wycombe and then winning 2-0 away at Hartlepool instilling a bit of belief amongst the fans.

that said i have to thank my late father for taking a midlands boy from leicester to carrow road in 74 and starting my love affair with the city and the football team . thanks dad.

Appointing McNallyAppointing Lambert as manager/sacking Gunn.The introduction of the diamond as the best system for the current squad.

For me the big positive move was the appointment of McNally. This of course was preceded with realisation by DS and MWJ that Mumby and, in particular, Doncaster had no more idea about running a football club than they themselves have. Unlike some or maybe most, I don’t really lay all the blame at Delia’s door. She owns the club as a supporter as much as anything and appoints professionals to run the business. I think she was just too trusting and supportive of Mumby and Doncaster for far too long. Our last match in the Championship changed that. 

What amazes me is the how decisive DS/MWJ were in clearing out the board and in finding such a positive replacement. McNally’s first interviews suggested he was very much interested in making football a priority and I guessed he would not be very tolerant of Gunn. I think Gunn may have been on his way earlier if not for the “decent” pre season results.

I think the rest so far is history. It looks like lessons have been learnt, if a little belated.

………………………………………………………………………………………

Is this the right room for an argument?

I told you once!

No you did’nt.

Yes I did.

[quote user="YankeeCanary"]

Despite being loyal to a fault, Delia and Michael deciding that not only did Munby and Doncaster have to be replaced but with people who had, indeed, been their critics. Although it will be a cold day in hell before many on here admit it, this was the catalyst for ensuring further mediocrity would not be tolerated.

[/quote]

Totally agree YC, but the funny thing is it`s largely the people who have never accepted a word against them who won`t admit it- because that would mean admitting they got it wrong in the first place.

It''s Obvious isn''t it when Lambert reinstated our best three players into the team :

Russell, Wes and The Doc

Not sure why he did''nt pick them from the start. Since they have come back and got match fit we have been too good for teams in midfield especially

[quote user="Lambert is King"]McNally being appointed and then sorting the club ie someone who knew what he wanted, had the guts to get it and knows what he is doing[/quote]As above...McNally - Lambert - Diamond - Hoolahan - Holt - Goals - 3rd.......

[quote user="Ulf Ottosson"]It''s Obvious isn''t it when Lambert reinstated our best three players into the team :

Russell, Wes and The Doc

Not sure why he did''nt pick them from the start. Since they have come back and got match fit we have been too good for teams in midfield especially[/quote]Not really the catalyst but one of the main reasons were winning matches. Strong spine. Chuck Holt in there is as well. Replace with Theo, Nelson and Tudor-Jones and is it any wonder Col U thrashed us?McNally appointing Lambert was the catalyst and the diamond formation is the reason were winning. A midfield of Russell, Lappin and Smith behind the strike trio, coupled with a stronger defense has made us unstoppable.Were playing the Chelsea way and its working!

The removal of Theo helped - his mistakes made the nightmare.Confidence was shattered, but they rebounded even before PL took over. They slowly became confident in their own abilities, and a potentially good side, complemented by one or two "unexpected" players, - especially Smith and Lappin, now play patiently and with expectation. In this PL must take credit.Gun assembled some good players - the nucleus of the present team was his legacy, and they might have recovered from the 7-1 drubbing to become a top-half team. PL and his staff have instilled some good attitudes which make them play at their best at times and well enough at others.I don''t think it is possible to point to a single individual or moment. I''m just glad how things have turned out!

[quote user="Herman "]

[quote user="lord montyjones"]fight back v charlton ? seemed to install belief and they''ve never looked back[/quote]

Good call.But i still think the 1-7! 

[/quote]

Agree, this result sent shock waves through the whole club and demonstrated the reality of the dire situation we were in.

Every thing snowballed from there, but I still have to pinch myself when I look at where we are in the league now.[:)]

[quote user="Mr.Carrow"][quote user="YankeeCanary"]

[/quote]

Totally agree YC, but the funny thing is it`s largely the people who have never accepted a word against them who won`t admit it- because that would mean admitting they got it wrong in the first place.

[/quote]

Yankee if you wish to caricature people who had serious concerns about the future of the club for several years and received dogs abuse for saying so, that''s up to you.  I daresay it''ll be a cold day in hell before you admit that their concerns were well founded. [;)]

In the interests of accuracy: afaik it''s never been revealed whether D&M sacked Munby and Doncaster or whether they resigned/jumped ship, but we do know that Doncaster was eyeing up other jobs long before the end of last season and that Munby had serious health problems. 

The decision to appoint Bowkett and McNally was spot on.  But why on earth did they reappoint Bryan Gunn first, instead of waiting until the new Chairman and CE were on board?  By any standards that was disastrously poor judgement. 

Delia hasn''t changed, but now that Bowkett and McNally are in charge she can say things like "I''d rather go to [insert name of League 1 club here] than Chelsea" without it having any effect on the forward momentum of the club, unlike when Doncaster was here.  McNally would rather plunge his head down a blocked lavatory than utter the phrase "We can''t compete" . . . [;)]

Appointing McNallyAppointing Lambert as manager/sacking Gunn.The introduction of the diamond as the best system for the current squad.Totally agree ''Longy''

[quote user="Salopian"]The removal of Theo helped - his mistakes made the nightmare.Confidence was shattered, but they rebounded even before PL took over. They slowly became confident in their own abilities, and a potentially good side, complemented by one or two "unexpected" players, - especially Smith and Lappin, now play patiently and with expectation. In this PL must take credit.Gun assembled some good players - the nucleus of the present team was his legacy, and they might have recovered from the 7-1 drubbing to become a top-half team. PL and his staff have instilled some good attitudes which make them play at their best at times and well enough at others.I don''t think it is possible to point to a single individual or moment. I''m just glad how things have turned out![/quote]Well As its been argued many times, I personally only blame him for 1 or 2 of them. Semi''s backpass is just hilarious.