Sign in to follow this  
Excited Canary

My view of our business in the January window

So, after such a great start to the campaign people may be thinking there is no need to add to our squad. However, I can assure you there is definitely room for improvement, whether it is in the form of back up or a potential first teamer, " We need a bit of help " as Paul Lambert would phrase it. As we approach the business end of the season it is going to be so very hard to maintain or improve on our handsome position, as hard as it was to get up to 3rd in the first place. An injury of some sort, to Holt, Hoolahan, you name them could define our season, for the worse. Our promotion contenders will be strengthening in January and we need to keep up the pace, so this is why the January transfer window is a MAJOR point in our season. You may not think it but the older ones of us will know that with Norwich anything could happen, we cannot get complacent or that could be our downfall. 2nd place is a must, Play Offs is just a lottery and anything lower than that will be seen as a big failure.

This is what I think we need to be doing in January, and remember there is probably going to be less buying then selling, we need to get rid of our dead wood that are just knawing away at our finances and giving us nothing in return. Sorry Wiz [;)]

Baring in mind our little budget this is how we should handle the window, IN MY OPINION:

As I said, we need to be getting rid of our dead wood, but keeping our star players is a must, so...

Outs:

Jamie Cureton - However much he bleeds yellow and green, he is simply not good enough. Whether it is a loan or a permanent move, we must get rid as from what I have heard he is on a healthy wage too.

Jon Otsemobor - Now don''t get me wrong this guy has major potential, he just hasn''t got the brain or heart to go with it. The amount of times he appears to have a ''snooze'' in a match is unbelievable. I did like him at first but sorry Jon, you are too much of a liability and with Micky Spillane coming back from injury and the lad from Peteborough performing well and hopefully joining on a permanent, you will soon be surplus to requirements.

Paul Mcveigh - He just isn''t getting a look in at the moment and I am sure a move to a League 2 side, on loan or permananent, will be good for both sides. WLY can get some playing time and we can free up some finances! I''m sorry it hasn''t worked out he just deservedly so is not getting within distance of the first team and therefore, is no longer needed.

Owain Tudor-Jones - LOAN. We have not seen enough of him to say ''Get rid'', and on the other hand we have not seen enough of him to get a regular first team start. A loan will help both parties, so we can keep a closer look at him in match circumstances and he can get some minutes under his belt. If that doesn''t work out then we can safely ''Get rid''. He obviously hasn''t been doing enough in training to warrant a place even on the bench, let alone first team! Or is he just injured? If so then he is obviously, injury prone as I am aware of a long lay-off earlier in his career, ''Get rid''.

However, disgarding all these transfers it is a  MUST that we keep ALL our key players, the likes of Hooly, Holty, Askou, Russell, Hughes, Martin, Doc etc, etc. These are the players that have got us to where we are now and they need to and WILL finish the job off Too much buying and selling will disrupt the whole team, leaving many unsettled.

Ins:

Russell Martin - This lad is certainly no world beater, but he does his job and does it well. If Otsy does go it is only on the basis that we sign Russell as we would be too thin on the ice without either. I''m sure he wont cost too much, if not a freebie?

Anthony McNamee - EXTENDED LOAN. We have not seen much of McNamee and we don''t want him to become one of those ''Expensive flops'', so his loan extended to the end of the season would be the most sensible option, so we can see a bit more of him and his ability. We can then go from there.

Charlie Austin (Swindon) - A bit like Cody this lad was found firing in the non leagues. Since then he has been an instant success at Swindon, managing 7 goals in the last 7 games. I know this aqusition is unlikely with Swindon being a promotion rival, but I am sure if we can tempt them with a bit of dosh, they might, just might accept. If one of our front three gets injured then it would be a disaster, but with Cody and Charlie there for cover then I might sleep a bit lighter. We could possibly give them Curo and 150k [;)] An offer simply irrefusable. If not that then maybe a loan deal like we have done with McNamee.

If we suceed in the window and maybe concur one or two of these moves then that would be a great success. I am sure there is more people could add on to both lists but remember you have to bear in mind the cost of these players.

Thank you for reading, I have put my hate on now fire away [:$]

[quote user="Norwich"]

So, after such a great start to the campaign people may be thinking there is no need to add to our squad. However, I can assure you there is definitely room for improvement, whether it is in the form of back up or a potential first teamer, " We need a bit of help " as Paul Lambert would phrase it. As we approach the business end of the season it is going to be so very hard to maintain or improve on our handsome position, as hard as it was to get up to 3rd in the first place. An injury of some sort, to Holt, Hoolahan, you name them could define our season, for the worse. Our promotion contenders will be strengthening in January and we need to keep up the pace, so this is why the January transfer window is a MAJOR point in our season. You may not think it but the older ones of us will know that with Norwich anything could happen, we cannot get complacent or that could be our downfall. 2nd place is a must, Play Offs is just a lottery and anything lower than that will be seen as a big failure.

This is what I think we need to be doing in January, and remember there is probably going to be less buying then selling, we need to get rid of our dead wood that are just knawing away at our finances and giving us nothing in return. Sorry Wiz [;)]

Baring in mind our little budget this is how we should handle the window, IN MY OPINION:

As I said, we need to be getting rid of our dead wood, but keeping our star players is a must, so...

Outs:

Jamie Cureton - However much he bleeds yellow and green, he is simply not good enough. Whether it is a loan or a permanent move, we must get rid as from what I have heard he is on a healthy wage too.

Jon Otsemobor - Now don''t get me wrong this guy has major potential, he just hasn''t got the brain or heart to go with it. The amount of times he appears to have a ''snooze'' in a match is unbelievable. I did like him at first but sorry Jon, you are too much of a liability and with Micky Spillane coming back from injury and the lad from Peteborough performing well and hopefully joining on a permanent, you will soon be surplus to requirements.

Paul Mcveigh - He just isn''t getting a look in at the moment and I am sure a move to a League 2 side, on loan or permananent, will be good for both sides. WLY can get some playing time and we can free up some finances! I''m sorry it hasn''t worked out he just deservedly so is not getting within distance of the first team and therefore, is no longer needed.

Owain Tudor-Jones - LOAN. We have not seen enough of him to say ''Get rid'', and on the other hand we have not seen enough of him to get a regular first team start. A loan will help both parties, so we can keep a closer look at him in match circumstances and he can get some minutes under his belt. If that doesn''t work out then we can safely ''Get rid''. He obviously hasn''t been doing enough in training to warrant a place even on the bench, let alone first team! Or is he just injured? If so then he is obviously, injury prone as I am aware of a long lay-off earlier in his career, ''Get rid''.

However, disgarding all these transfers it is a  MUST that we keep ALL our key players, the likes of Hooly, Holty, Askou, Russell, Hughes, Martin, Doc etc, etc. These are the players that have got us to where we are now and they need to and WILL finish the job off Too much buying and selling will disrupt the whole team, leaving many unsettled.

Ins:

Russell Martin - This lad is certainly no world beater, but he does his job and does it well. If Otsy does go it is only on the basis that we sign Russell as we would be too thin on the ice without either. I''m sure he wont cost too much, if not a freebie?

Anthony McNamee - EXTENDED LOAN. We have not seen much of McNamee and we don''t want him to become one of those ''Expensive flops'', so his loan extended to the end of the season would be the most sensible option, so we can see a bit more of him and his ability. We can then go from there.

Charlie Austin (Swindon) - A bit like Cody this lad was found firing in the non leagues. Since then he has been an instant success at Swindon, managing 7 goals in the last 7 games. I know this aqusition is unlikely with Swindon being a promotion rival, but I am sure if we can tempt them with a bit of dosh, they might, just might accept. If one of our front three gets injured then it would be a disaster, but with Cody and Charlie there for cover then I might sleep a bit lighter. We could possibly give them Curo and 150k [;)] An offer simply irrefusable. If not that then maybe a loan deal like we have done with McNamee.

If we suceed in the window and maybe concur one or two of these moves then that would be a great success. I am sure there is more people could add on to both lists but remember you have to bear in mind the cost of these players.

Thank you for reading, I have put my hate on now fire away [:$]

[/quote]

This seems to be a bit of a summary of many different previous threads.

You seemed quite certain that our squad needed strengthening but have listed only one signing (i think we''re all reasonably certain Russell & McNamee are staying), and he has only just turned pro...... would he seriously give you more confidence? Also, no matter what anyone thinks about Semmy surely it wouldn''t be too clever to get rid of a defender without bringing in a replacement would it?

I disagree with charlie austin. Cody McDonald can do the same job if not better. What we need is Chris Dagnall[img]http://www.rochdaleonline.co.uk/uploads/f1/news/img/20081025_20641.jpg[/img]

Not pushing your neck out to far with the in''s are you? However I am struggling too!

Still have to agree with the outs, altough more could go without being missed.

Why not add Cody for a short loan if Austin (or Dagnall from Rochdale) come in. Cody could benefit from a long run somewhere else (preferably a lower team in the division that can cause some damage to our rivals hopes).

Don''t forget we have yet to move on the Klit as well, he needs to go and another Keeper in as cover until Rudd is fit at least.

Looking at other bit part squad players do Daley, Wiggins and Stephens need to stay - certainly a loan to get match fit might be worth a bit in business? Whaley should be permanently shipped out too.

But even so who would you bring in who would actually improve the squad at the moment? Apart from Dagnall / Austin, Adomah is someone that was linked with us and might help give us options if the Diamond stops working.

However when fully fit our main spine looks more than capable and as long as not too many are out at once, then the squad seems strong enough, even without those players mentioned above going, to get us to the Champs.

[quote user="shefcanary"]Not pushing your neck out to far with the in''s are you? However I am struggling too! Still have to agree with the outs, altough more could go without being missed. Why not add Cody for a short loan if Austin (or Dagnall from Rochdale) come in. Cody could benefit from a long run somewhere else (preferably a lower team in the division that can cause some damage to our rivals hopes). Don''t forget we have yet to move on the Klit as well, he needs to go and another Keeper in as cover until Rudd is fit at least. Looking at other bit part squad players do Daley, Wiggins and Stephens need to stay - certainly a loan to get match fit might be worth a bit in business? Whaley should be permanently shipped out too. But even so who would you bring in who would actually improve the squad at the moment? Apart from Dagnall / Austin, Adomah is someone that was linked with us and might help give us options if the Diamond stops working. However when fully fit our main spine looks more than capable and as long as not too many are out at once, then the squad seems strong enough, even without those players mentioned above going, to get us to the Champs.[/quote]

The Klit has signed for Melbourne Heart Shefcanary. A new team starting the Australian League. Never saw any word of transfer money or anything though, just that he''d signed.

[quote user="yellowarmy"]

in

Glenn Murray ( Brighton)

Lee Barnard ( Southend)

Richard Brodie ( York City )

[/quote]

Wouldn''t mind Barnard (ex Spurs?)[Y]

[quote user="CallsignViper"]

[quote user="shefcanary"]Not pushing your neck out to far with the in''s are you? However I am struggling too! Still have to agree with the outs, altough more could go without being missed. Why not add Cody for a short loan if Austin (or Dagnall from Rochdale) come in. Cody could benefit from a long run somewhere else (preferably a lower team in the division that can cause some damage to our rivals hopes). Don''t forget we have yet to move on the Klit as well, he needs to go and another Keeper in as cover until Rudd is fit at least. Looking at other bit part squad players do Daley, Wiggins and Stephens need to stay - certainly a loan to get match fit might be worth a bit in business? Whaley should be permanently shipped out too. But even so who would you bring in who would actually improve the squad at the moment? Apart from Dagnall / Austin, Adomah is someone that was linked with us and might help give us options if the Diamond stops working. However when fully fit our main spine looks more than capable and as long as not too many are out at once, then the squad seems strong enough, even without those players mentioned above going, to get us to the Champs.[/quote]

The Klit has signed for Melbourne Heart Shefcanary. A new team starting the Australian League. Never saw any word of transfer money or anything though, just that he''d signed.

[/quote]No he hasn''t

Out:

McVeigh - Nowhere near the player he was at Norwich before would be best to just offload him.

Cureton - Apparently going to Lincoln, need to free up the wages.

Waley - Not worked out, could use him as a player swap for Dagnall at Rochdale

Theo - Already reported to sign to a new club back in Oz, they value him over there.

In:

Dagnall - Good, young player that could be used as a back-up for Holt.

Another CB - Look for a fairly decent Championship CB not getting games at their club.

MacNamee and R Martin

RW - Sign a RW on loan just for that extra option.

Most Posh fans say Russell Martin wasn''t good enough for the Championship with them, so I don''t see the point of us actually buying him. Maybe extend his loan until the end of the season if possible.I think it also might be time to start admitting that Cody McD might not be good enough, Lambert has been very reluctant to bring him on. I think Daley has been brought on as a sub more than McDonald. I know he is "raw" and needs time to develop but he has been with us almost a year and at 23/4 isn''t exactly a young professional. Loan him out if we can, but if someone offered us a decent price for him (100k) then sell, sell, sell.

I can''t understand why anybody would want to do that. He might be quick physically but mentally he''s about as sharp as a particularly blunt pencil. Never seen this mythical ''attacking option'' he supposedly provides.

Obviously it looks like R Martin and McNamee are staying.

I also expect we''ll be looking to bring in a central defender and another striker (I''d probably see that as the most important area because if Holt was to get injured we''d be in trouble).

As for players leaving I guess it''ll be a case of finding clubs who will take the likes of Cureton, McVeigh and Theo.

I''d be surprised to see Otsemobor leave (well in this window at least). He''s an experienced player and well...he''s just not as bad as most people like to think. Maybe in the summer with R Martin at right back and Spillane as backup he might move on.

What were the rumours about Curo/Lincoln? The usual Pink''un b.s,or was there some element of truth?

[quote user="Herman "]What were the rumours about Curo/Lincoln? The usual Pink''un b.s,or was there some element of truth?[/quote]

Good question which has not yet been explained.  I am a member of the Supporters Trust at Lincoln and also a minor shareholder and so far there has been no inkling of "Cureton to Lincoln" this end.  A player that Chris Sutton is interested in, on loan, is Chris Dawkin.

The most important question would concern Jamie''s wages, somewhere around £6k a week or so I believe.  Would Norwich really send out a player on loan whose contract is up in June and keep paying his wages because I can assure you Lincoln couldn''t.  We couldn''t even pay half his monthly salary.  Top player at Imps is on just over £1000 a week.

I think that is the problem with Jamie.  With him being on that money, now 34 I believe, and hardly hitting the back of the net it''s a bit difficult to see a long queue to take him off your hands.  Fans talk about getting rid of players and freeing up wages but there''s got to be a buyer for that to happen.  McVeigh isn''t on that much money and you might have more hope with him to perhaps a League Two club but no club can just offload people they don''t want.

Maybe we will just have to take a loss on Jamie.Cancel his contract and let him off into the sunset (which wil cost?).He has his faults,but i can''t see him wanting to do a ''Winston Bogarde''.Then it would be up to him and is agent to find a new club.

Or as you say,let him out on loan,to say Lincoln,and we cover the cost almost entirely.Either way City will not free up any cash with the release of Curo.

This football malarkey is more complicated than it seems[^o)]

[quote user="Herman "]

Maybe we will just have to take a loss on Jamie.Cancel his contract and let him off into the sunset (which wil cost?).He has his faults,but i can''t see him wanting to do a ''Winston Bogarde''.Then it would be up to him and is agent to find a new club.

Or as you say,let him out on loan,to say Lincoln,and we cover the cost almost entirely.Either way City will not free up any cash with the release of Curo.

This football malarkey is more complicated than it seems[^o)]

[/quote]

If Jamie leaves we certainly won''t get a fee for him and would probably have to pay up a portion of his contract. If he is on 6k week as mentioned above and his contract ends June 30th (isn''t this the normal date contracts end?), then a quick bit of Fag Packet Accounting says that his contract is worth 155k (approx). JC must seriously be considering retirement at the moment, not getting games and has lost a lot of form, it''s hard to see who would come in for him.

Jamie has come across as an honest professional and won''t want to be out of our match squad for the remaining part of the season, but he will be considering his own interests. Would you really want to move to a League Two club, with naff training facilities and away from friends etc? I have always been a fan of JC, maybe not his football of late, and would love to see him go somewhere and bang in the goals but I think he will remain at Norwich for this season keeping himself fit and will move on in the summer somewhere for a last hurrah (if a good offer comes in).

The biggest question here is why oh why did Grant give him such a long contract? That man really had no sense in the transfer market.