Sign in to follow this  
FatboySlimfast

Andy Marshall?

I couldn''t help noticing the good reports marshall got for millwall in the game against Burnley. They raved on about him on sky sports and 1 of the nationals even gave him 9 out of 10 for his display. It then occured to me that blue scums next home game is against millwall. Will he be allowed to play (lua lua recently springs to mind) or has sheepshagger put a clause in the contract? Do we want him to play? If he is allowed i think he may be out to prove a point to old potato head! Then again, he may just play his normal game and let the scum score from every attack.

Come on let''s be fair on the lad, he made one massive mistake by joining our friends down the road.We all wanted him to fail they wanted him to fail and the media followed his every move (local Media) this lad was the England youth keeper whilst at Norwich. He has undoubtedly got talent he just needs to find the right place to play, May be Millwall or further a field my guess he''ll be a good keeper for somebody but never Ipswich.

Can we now leave him alone and push the claims of our Greeny to be in the England set up.

He could do a LuaLua on them and save everything (highly improbable I know...) ensuring that Ips*** lose, and then get sent back to Ips*** when his loan ends.
Imagine his first training session back at Portacabin Road if he dented their promotion prospects, I bet it''d be quite hilarious to witness the conversations.

What if he did a REAL LuaLua and score the winning goal in the 90th minute. Then that what be funny wouldnt it?

I heard the good reports about Marshall on sky.
He was a good reflex keeper but very gaffe prone so he flatered to deceive.

He was partially to blame for both Shef Utd goals last night, the dropped free kick was
a real howler.

Is there any chance Marshall could come back as Citys No. 2 when we take on the premier boys next season? I can think of a few pluses ,played at city etc.. but would there be too many negatives if any?

Marshall come back to city?

pluses: played for city, good shot stopper.

Negatives: can''t kick, can''t catch, parries too many, lacks confidence, gives away too many goals from silly mistakes and one final big fat negative...................HE LEFT US TO GO AND PLAY FOR THE SCUM DOWN THE ROAD. He will never be welcome back here as far as im concerned, just like he was never really welcomed at portaloo road because he came from Norwich.

DD,
I have got to like you and your posts,until you said ''you hope Andy Marshall crashes and burns''. Now its late and I''m tired so I''m hoping I have misread your post so please clarify for me.Surely you wouldn''t wish that on any human being.
cityangel

Cityangel let me clarify: I of course mean no harm on the individual. I would in no way wish for Marshall to have any hideous car crash or anything like that. I just hope he doesn''t have a successful career. I do not like the man one little bit and what he did in my opinion was probably the worst thing a player can do: Disown the club he has played for since he was a school boy, who nurtured him, created him into the player he is and then after receiving player of the season leave to join their biggest and deadliest rivals. He knew the concequences. The only reason he left us was greed: More money. I''m glad his career is down the tube and if we never heard of him again I wouldn''t be too disappointed. I''m sincerly sorry if you think my views are overly harsh or if I''ve offended anyone but this is my view of that man.

DD, I knew what you meant... career-wise rather than literally crashing and burning... I totally agree with what you have said, Marshall commited ''professional suicide'' in my opinion by signing for Ips**t after building his career and reputation with us here.
He made his bed and now he must lie in it. He deserves no sympathy or praise in my opinion.

Crashed and burned is a very popular phrase with people out on the pull! One of my mates has aquired the nickname goose (top gun). Spots a potential love match, moves in for the kill, gets rejected, crashed and burned!! Hope this helps clear this up for you cityangel.

*laughs* brings back fond (?) memories of my ''need to pull'' days... Think everyone''s ''crashed and burned'' in that respect... Guess thats cleared that misunderstanding up...?

Thanks higgler for clarifying what crash and burns means and this is why I asked for clarification before I went in guns blazing at DD
I know and understand why Andy is not popular and I''m sure when Andy signed on that dotted line for Ipswich he knew the consequences of his action and as you say he made his bed and must lie on it.But then I ask you if you worked for a company and they paid you say £5000 pa and a rival company down the road offered you say £18000 to do exactly the same job and you were just about to get married and maybe start a family what would you do? Its a short career for a footballer and he must have thought he should take the opportunity which came his way,just unfortunate for him, that the opportunity only came from Ipswich
I know I am probably on my own here fighting a losing battle and I know the majority hate Ipswich and everyone and everything connected to it but I never will feel that hatred in the same way as some of you do.Yes I love to beat them,yes I love them to lose,yes I cheer when they are losing and yes I desperately want them to finish below us but thats it.To me its a local derby no more no less.
I know that several of the players keep in touch with Andy,I know that Malky and the Ipswich coach are good mates and although they know what it means to the fans,I guess as Huckerby said to them its another 3 pts and another game to win.
I''ve rattled on far too long,but have known Andy for many years so I am biased,again I appreciate how you feel about him but knowing him would never feel that way.
I''m expecting a battering from some of you now so have drawn down the hatches, please be gentle with me!!

Cityangel,

I totally respect your opinion of your view of the Binners and in some way I envy you. I think I''d like to be able to respect I****h for the football club they are, but i can''t! I still see them as our number 1 rivals and as soon as a player becomes a Binner I don''t like them. Possibly a bit sad, but that''s football. Being an Ipswich player is one thing, but jumping ship from your biggest rivals is another. I can see why Marshall did it and in any other profession I''m sure I''d allow it. But it''s just I have so much passion for Norwich city. They have been such a huge part of my life for so many years and (sounds a bit corny!) but they make me so happy. When Norwich are playing well, I''m good- I''m happy. I can''t imagine life without Norwich City. Therefore when someone betrays my football club I instantly dislike them. I know I shouldn''t and that I''m very prejudice but I can''t help it! I''m sure over the years I''ll simmer down and become a more placid supporter! Here ends my (overly emotional on reflection!!) rant. Maybe we''ll have to agree to disagree cityangel but hope we will continue to be friends.

Cityangel this is not simple an issue of Marshall leaving Norwich or of him joining our rivals.

It is the snidey, deceitful and underhand way in which he behaved over his contract.

If ipswich had wished to sign him properly then they would have had to pay a transfer fee that reflected his market worth.

This money would have compensated us for the loss and also reimbursed us for the money spent in his development. Nothing unusual here, pretty standard practise. By refusing to sign a contract he was effectually denying us what was morally ours.

By signing a new contract he would have still been able to move on and would still have been paid at the same wage level.

He lied and lied and lied again.

It is for that deceit, dishonour and lowlife behaviour that he is despised by City fans. It was not an irrational act in the heat of the moment but a cold hearted pre meditated deceipt.

Most players moving on have been welcomed back to City. Everyone recognises the need for a player to play at the highest level and get paid the best he can.

Ipswich have blown nearly £20m on wages and fees to Le Pen, Sereni, George and Reuser.
All an absolute waste of space. Chuck in another £2m plus for young Marshall and you may grasp that it would not have been too difficult for them to have paid what was due to us.

So let him take his millions and perhaps reflect on the word integrity when next he takes a moment off from whinging about how unfairly he has been treated.

And maybe, for his sake, hope that nobody behaves as dishonourably towards him as he did towards us.

DD/City Angel

i too would not wish anyone any pain, at least not physical, so the crash and burn scenerio should not be applied to a person, even someone who has offended us as much as Andy Marshall. To use the slang version of being rejected while out on the pull, okay, but remember not everyone on here is familiar with certain words or phrases, there is a very diverse age range on this message board.

I totally agree with the sentiments that he has committed professional suicide by signing for ipswich, having said that, i never rated him as a keeper anyway, so to me he was no great loss, seeing we had greeno ready in the wings to take over.

DD, football, while bringing out the passion in everyone is at the end of the day, just another job, and whatever profession you are in, wouldn''t you move to a rival company for double the money for doing exactly the same job, i think most of us would. Loyalty to a fan base must have come pretty low on the agenda while AM was making his decision, it hasn''t turned out well for him, but that''s life, we all make mistakes.

Of course i am passionate about norwich city - like you DD, but i don''t hate ipswich, i delight in beating them, but i have many friends who support ipswich and the reason they are my mates are not football related, so the fact they support a different team from me shouldn''t worry me, we all enjoy a bit of banter before and after a derby match, and yes, i have a few digs about flapper with them, but no more than that. Hate is a wasteful and totally pointless emotion that hurts you far more than the people it is aimed at - andy marshall was disloyal up to a point, but only human and probably is at a club where he can now kick start his career. He still has to face ipswich in the league too so will get a lot of stick for that.

Here''s to beating the suffolk crew on sunday then 3-0

totally agree with DD, down to each and every word... and I too hope that I haven''t incurred the wrath of cityangel..? you (cityangel and so tto DD) seem a sensible and thoroughly decent poster on here so I have no intentions for running you down for your feelings, after all, we''re all City fans in the great scheme of things...

DD,
Thanks for replying to my post but I never said that I had respect for Ipswich,what I said was I didnt hate them or their fans.I too have a great passion for Norwich having had a season ticket for 25 years + and they play a huge part in my life too but when players leave us I dont feel betrayed because as in any job people move on to further their career and thats a fact of life.In Andy''s case it hasn''t worked out for him but thats the risk he took and he has to move on now and put it behind him.He was in a no win situation,Norwich fans hated him for going to Ipswich,Ipswich fans hated him because he came from Norwich.It doesnt affect us what Andy does now as we are lucky, we have Greeno and he''s the greatest goalie around in my opinion and far better than Andy ever was.
What really puzzles me is the sheer hatred some people have for Ipswich and their fans.I go to the Derby games and its like we''re fighting in world war 2 looking at some peoples faces,I know its the local derby and no-one wants to beat them more than me but its just a game at the end of the day.I work with some great Ipswich fans and we have lots of friendly banter,I sometimes pop into the tractor boys message board as does my mate Gazza and they are a really friendly bunch and have welcomed us with open arms,can it be so hard for us all to be a little bit more civilised to each other,life can be so short lets not waste it with hatred for our fellow human beings.
And to all of you who replied to me of course I didnt take offence,I respect all your opinions because I know you respect mine.
My prediction for Sunday Norwich 4 Ipswich 1,hope I get it right this week!

cityangel, not yet back from South Africa so time is limited, but I had to just respond and say that I am 100% with you on everything you have had to say on this thread. I love controversial input as much as anyone but I would like to see us elevate our thought processes as we engage in controversy.

Cityangel,

I think this is a sign of the times. Some people take football very very seriously. Too seriously. I''m one of them. My weekend happiness hinges on a football result on a Saturday afternoon! Of course I wouldn''t take my passion to the extreme of beating someone up. Anyone who would do that has crossed a line (they crossed the line a long time ago!) and is just a thug. I know that a group Ipswich fans are just like the fans of anyother football club. I don''t hate the fans of Spurs or Luton or Carlisle at ther end of the day. Why should I hate Ipswich fans? It''s just the rivalry. They hate us, we hate them. I think a big part of it is that because I know they don''t like us and because I know they want us to fall flat on our faces that''s why I don''t like them. Sounds incredibly childish I know. But rivalrly is a big part of football in my opinion. Taking it to the extremes and violence is, of course, taking it too far. But I don''t think football would have the same appeal if we didn''t have a huge rivalry with another club. It''s part and parcel of the footballing make up. I apologise to Yankee and to you cityangel if I''m sounding like a bit of a thug here. But I can''t see myself thinking any differently. I''m sure in years to come and when I''m older and wiser and setting an example to children of my own I won''t be like this. I''m not trying to start a fight with either cityangel or Yankee, I just wanted to express my opinion. Cheers

Yankee,
I am overwhelmed that you and I have agreed on something at last,just joking,and am glad to see you back on this board,if only briefly,don''t collapse with shock but I was beginning to miss you.
cityangel

DD,
I''ll make this my last post on this thread as i dont want people to get bored with this subject.I too take my football very seriously,always have done and always will do but at the end of the day its just a game and as you grow older and get past your 20s and 30s you tend to change your attitude by realising that you need to make the most of every day and in my book that means that life is too short to fill it with hatred.I treat people the way I wish to be treated and all the Ipswich fans I know,5 in my dept at work and about 6 other friends all tease me and join in friendly banter especially on a Monday morning but theres no dislike,no hatred, just a mutual respect for each others feelings and loyalties.
I''ll be honest my views and attitudes have changed since I was in my 20''s,maybe then I might have agreed with you but now,as I''ve said I just like to see people get on and although the local derby means more to me, as well as you I will just be happy to get 3 points and concentrate on where we are headed rather than worry about Ipswich and their results.
Delia said onwards and upwards and thats where we are going lets just concentrate our energies in supporting our team to make that happen and let them down the road worry about themselves.
I''ve enjoyed debating with you DD,enjoy the game I know I will