Sign in to follow this  
Rupethebear

Beckford off to Newcastle?

I see Newcastle have confirmed their interest in Beckford who is a free agent in the summer. As Bates is well known for his greed he will find it hard to turn away a nice instant cash advance from The Toon. More importantly his agent will start turning his head...!!

i hope he goes it would help our cause. i think beckford is itching to leave leeds and would jump at the chance.

how much is a unproven premiership striker worth .? i think leeds will do everything to hang on to him to be honest .

ha ... since we got relegated i have not kept up to date with the championship..!! (apart from ipswich hanging round the drop zone..) i forgot newcastle got relegated (only for a minute or two) . i have no fear beckford would cut it in the championship.

[quote user="singing canary"]i hope he goes it would help our cause. i think beckford is itching to leave leeds and would jump at the chance. how much is a unproven premiership striker worth .? i think leeds will do everything to hang on to him to be honest .[/quote]

Not the only club either I hear Boro Reading Binners and  Watford were all having him watched.

[quote user="RonDavies"]It''s only really relevant to City if it happens in the January transfer window. He will probably hang on till the summer [:(] when it will be too late to do us a favour.
[/quote]

When he will be out of contract and Leeds will get nothing for him? I don''t think so....

Leeds wont sell for 1.5m. Grayson clearly stated in the summer he will be kept and so far he has. He since came out 3 weeks ago saying that he could never stop speculation but again wont be sold unless a ''silly'' amount came in for him. 1.5m is laughable in todays money.League one or not. Prolific strikers with pace are like gold dust in the championship.Lazy or not, Beckford has delivered 73 goals in 108 games.

Ill put money on that he wont be sold in Jan. I think we will let him walk though when we are promoted back to the championship.

Promotion is indeed worth more than £1.5m but perhaps Leeds will decide that they can have their cake and eat it. 11 points clear of 3rd with a number of other good strikers at your disposal? How much is half a season of Beckford really worth in this position?

same as us . would we sell hoolihan ? keeping him here is worth more than 1.5 million if we get promoted . depends on the money in this food chain of football...!!!

[quote user="Rupethebear"]If an offer of 2 milion comes in then Bates will sell![/quote] Yeah anything over 1.5 million and he will be gone they wont let him walk for free in the summer. But to be honest i still think without him they will just nick the title. I am more concerned with Charlton and Colchester! Forget about Leeds for now lets get in that 2nd spot as long as we go up i dont care what position it is in!

In all honesty only Newcastle have the ability to tempt him away. They look set for promotion back to the Premiership and are probably the biggest club in the Championship.

One thing that could keep Beckford at Leeds is that he could win a medal, something not certain at Newcastle as he might not get the games. Another thing is, moving on a Bosman would make him considerably richer than not doing.

If he wins us promotion and leaves then good luck to the lad, though I highly doubt he is a Premiership striker. I think its very much short-term thinking if Newcastle snap him up.

I remember Jason Scotland of Swansea being in a similar situation a few years ago, he stayed the season after!

We could do with Beckford staying at Leeds to give them more chance of beating everyone around us! As long as we beat them at the Fortress & finish 2nd they can win every other game for the rest of the season for all I care!

Agree with guy before me.

They''re so far ahead that good performances from Leeds can only help take points from other teams around us.

[quote user="blahblahblah"]Surely if Beckford waits till the summer, the less money spent on a transfer, the more goes to him ?  Isn''t that how it works ?[/quote]That''s exactly how it works and exactly why Bates and co will be facing a dilemma in January. Something or nothing that''s the choice they face. I guess that come the end of Jan the Leeds board will evaluate whether they are far enough ahead to be able to cash in on a quick payday from JB. it''s a gamble. on one side they know that they will get nothing in June for him whereas a desperate CCC or Prem side might offer them silly money. JB himself may become unsettled by a team pre-empting his availability in June and offering him a pre-contractual agreement with a large up front payment to himself. Could be an interesting month for JB, although trying not to pish on the bonfire I will point out that he was available last summer and nobody wanted him.[:D]Good striker in this division when supported and fed by a good midfield, unproven at a higher level and IMO too much of a bottler to make it big. Still if the Geordies fancy another Shola Ameobi on £££££''s per week he''s their man I guess. My prediction is that Norwich will benefit more from the recall of the loaned CCC players to their respective clubs from Leeds than the sale of JB.

Excellent Post Blah(x3)

Its a case of which is worth more to Leeds a max of £2m or pomotion, you''d have to say promotion and the club took that stance when they turned down offers for him in the Summer.

Time will tell if they still keep to that...

Your point about the CCC players is true - Max Gradel must have won us 10-12 points on his own in the last 3 months

[quote user="spainboy"]Leeds wont sell for 1.5m. Grayson clearly stated in the summer he will be kept and so far he has. He since came out 3 weeks ago saying that he could never stop speculation but again wont be sold unless a ''silly'' amount came in for him. 1.5m is laughable in todays money.League one or not. Prolific strikers with pace are like gold dust in the championship.Lazy or not, Beckford has delivered 73 goals in 108 games. Ill put money on that he wont be sold in Jan. I think we will let him walk though when we are promoted back to the championship.[/quote]

For once I agree with you spainboy. Can''t see a prem team coming in for him in Jan and he won''t want to miss out on a big, fat signing on fee in the summer.

If Beckford is wanted by Newcastle he is virtually guaranteed Premiership football to some extent next season. I think he will insist upon leaving if Newcastel want him. Leeds are way ahead of the pack but they do rely very heavily on his goals and if he left leeds it could derail them with another 69 points still to play for

Much will depend on Beckford himself. If he''s offered a big contract somewhere i think he will go now, he has already shown he puts himslef ahead of any allegiance or loyalty to a team. And from Leeds point of view, there is no point in keeping a player who doesn''t want to play for you as it will be disruptive to the rest of the team....

And if you were a centre forward, i think Newcastle is as good a place as any to go and be succesful.

Could Leeds do with a better keeper? I wasn''t that impressed with Casper Ankergren. I dread a deal involving Beckford and Forster, but it is one that might be attractive to Leeds given the impact Forster has had on our success. It just depends how interested Newcastle are in Beckford and how tight our loan arrangement is with the Toon.

Except there was alot of discussion a year ago over whether Wigan would cash in on Heskey or let him go for free in the summer.   The argument then was that keeping Heskey would increase the chance of avoiding relegation and hence was worth far more than any transfer fee.   To sell in January would be short term and self defeating.

Heskey moved in January for a decent fee.  In business a bird in the hand is often worth many in the bush.

And Wigan stayed up any way.

Turning to Beckford,

he is very much a confidence attitude player.  Millwall fans jeered him the whole game in their worse ways (!!!!) and he disappeared.   Perhaps if he wants a move he will have to go because he won''t perform if unhappy.

But also, Leeds are very likely to be promoted so if he satys he can get a new contract with a Champ team.... Leeds and bag a signing fee.

It is not especially obvious to me why he would want a move.