Sign in to follow this  
Splendid Rush

Please respond to this ignorant journalist

I''ve just e-mailed him.  Here''s my twopenneth for what it''s worth:

Dear Mr. Woolnough,

Further to your article in the Star about Norwich not being worthy of being in the top flight,I would like to apologise for everything that my club stands for, i.e. togetherness (that''s everyone, including the fans and the board, and not just the players), friendliness, passion and doing the absolute best they can on a relative pittance. I realise now that it just isn''t in the spirit of the game and we should hang our heads in shame at trying to battle against the odds and perform on the highest stage. What were we thinking?

It''s shameful, even disgraceful as you might say, that we should be taking advantage of winning the First Division so emphatically last season and I''m sorry that you think we smell so bad that other Premiership teams might start to notice and decide not to turn up in case they are sick. (By the way, that''s actually our only ploy to win any games this season as we''re clearly incapable of winning by any other means, so dreadful is our attitude). Would that we were Crystal Palace and West Brom right now as they are streets ahead of us in the spirit department, no doubt. I wish we had Bryan Robson in charge of us as I''m sure he would be doing much better than Nigel Worthington is,and I''m sure all Norwich fans would love to sell the entire squad to get Andy Johnson on board, after all our players clearly don''t have the stomach for any sort of fight...except for one withyour good self, perhaps, should you decide to visit ''the sticks'' in the near future.

As for your kind wishes that we return to where we belong with your good riddance to help us on our way, I''m sure we will, without a whimper, oblige you and make the greed league a much nicer and more colourful place in the process.

Again, my aplogies for thinking that we could be a real club in the true sense of the word, even in today''s world where money speaks volumes and poisons all that is good and true in the game.

Wishing you a Happy Christmas in the capital where you will no doubt be.

Regards

Susie

P.S. All of the above, except for the qualities that MY club has in abundance (paragraph 1), is about as plausible as the words you so kindly wrote about us in your article. (You will of course note that being ''from the sticks'' and made of unstern stuff, like a Norwich person, doesn''t make me resort to personal insults or derogatory remarks about things I don''t know anything about).

Much as I understand all the indignation caused by this ill - informed and pompous individual, please remember which newspaper he writes for and ask yourself if you wrote for such a crap excuse for a paper would you be entirely happy with your life.  Incidentally, he occasionally appears on Swedish TV over here to give him comments from an English point of view - he is just a headline seeker, and due to lack of real knowledge or journalistic ability just tries to gain attention to his over - sensationalisation.  Embarrasing and pathetic, best to ignore him and discourage anyone stupid enough to buy the Star

I hear whay you''re saying Steve but he is PAID to write therefore there is some gratification to the drivelling that he does, so his unhappiness should not be naturally assumed!

Below is what I asked Joe Ferrari on the Offical site:

FAO Joe Ferrari: Regarding Brian Woolnough.
Henmeister General @ 20-DEC-04 06:31 PM

I am interested to know whether Brian Woolnough has been to Carrow Road this year? And also if you have it in your powers to maybe ban him and any of his colleagues from reporting at our games?

His outburst is way over the top and unnecessary. I can only hope that it spurs on the players to winning on boxing day. (no pun intended)!

Re: FAO Joe Ferrari: Regarding Brian Woolnough.
Joe Ferrari @ 21-DEC-04 10:15 AM
I can confirm that Mr Woolnough has not been to Carrow Road for at least the last couple of seasons.

Whilst no-one at Norwich was impressed with his remarks in Monday''s Star we will not be banning him or any of his colleagues from enjoying the normal warm, friendly and professional welcome the media receive when they visit Carrow Road.

I note meanwhile that both Nigel Worthington and Craig Fleming have been quoted as saying they place a lot more stock on the post-match comments praising City from Jose Mourinho.

As for an official invite to Mr Woolnough to attend a match here to see what sort of ''stuff'' the the people of Norfolk are ''made of'' for himself, I shall be doing this in my column on Boxing Day and in person to whoever the Star sends to cover the match.

All the best,

Joe F

Easy to believe that the piece of garbage has not even paid us a visit lately. Cant see him coming in the future now either. Hopefully not anyway

[quote]I''ve just e-mailed him. Here''s my twopenneth for what it''s worth: Dear Mr. Woolnough, Further to your article in the Star about Norwich not being worthy of being in the top flight,I would like to ...[/quote]

For what is worth, I agree with him!.

He is in fact a very nice, lovable man, all us long term inmates love him dearly!. 

In fact I was talking to him today over breakfast only today, Ok, so we are both in the same ward for the mentally deranged, and we don''t get out much, but what does that matter!.

I was amazed he managed to smuggle out a pencil for his report though, because normally we arn''t allowed anything sharp in here!.

I am, in my opinion only joking!

Seriously, I haven''t bothered to email him because

A. Thats what he wants.

B. I have better things to do with my time.

C. He doesn''t understand joined up writing.

And some of you thought I was nasty and bonkers!.

[quote]Kent Canary, i think the guy you are refering to on the Jimmy Hill programme was big fat hairy Martin Samual. Another london hack who never ventures outside the capital, and also a very good friend of...[/quote]

Cheers Chas, the problem this they all merge into one steaming pile of **** journalism..!

Wouldn''t it be better to send emails to the editor complaining about this fat Christmas turkey''s football review? That way they might, with enough public outrage, make him write an apology - or better still they may do away with his services as a journalist. As a training-to-be-a-journalist (I''m studying it at Uni) the worst relationship a journalist can damage is the one between him/herself and their editor, so if we bombarded the editor with complaints and threats to stop buying the paper, then maybe this idiot may have to rethink what he''s written and what he subsequently writes in the future.

It''ll be interesting to hear if there are any chants made up for the clown in question - shame he won''t be about to hear them, as he''ll be in the Capital, brown-nosing as someone mentioned earlier.

Also, he seems to have a dig at the people of Norwich as well as the supporters, which is what really peeves me, as a non-native of Norwich I have often felt the warmth of Norwich people when visiting relatives and when I lived there briefly recently. Norwich is an area of the United Kingdom like no other, its both vibrant and relaxing, picturesque and with plenty to do and see - unlike the Capital (my place of birth) which is dank, claustrophobic, enhances feelings of anonymous-ness and is simply dirty and undesirable. Of the two, I''m sure you know where I''d love best to be right now..?!

I guess the majority of real turkeys will be safe from slaughter now. The last remaining turkey needing a good stuffing is the fat, ageing, Woolnough ''turkey'' and by his remarks - he''s fair game... Slay, murder, kill my beauties... slay, murder, kill! (in the non-literal sense)!?

Hi..I''m sure this has already been discussed a lot but just wanted to
show you all what I emailed to the journalist at Daily Star..

"Dear" Brian

What kind of journalist are you? Journalists are meant to portray news
items in a fair and balanced way or were you never taught this? How
dare you make personal and detrimental comments about Norwich City
Football Club and the city itself?

I am originally from Norwich and a season ticket holder of the football
club and proud to be. If you really knew anything about the area and
its club you would know how proud we are all of it and what the club has
achieved we don''t have millions being poured by some billionaire.

You are now trying to worm your way out of what you said but I quote
"Where is the character? I thought the people of Norwich were made of
sterner stuff" how is that related to football? As I hope you are finding
out now people of Norwich ARE made of sterner stuff this is why I am
emailing you now to show you how I, and everyone else just won''t put up
with your rudeness!

Your opinions are a total waste of time and idiotic - why don''t you
just apologise for getting far too personal...oh isn''t it amazing we have
computers "in the sticks" grow up!!!

Sally Comer
NCFC Forever
(we are not just glory hunters we always support our team)

[quote]Wouldn''t it be better to send emails to the editor complaining about this fat Christmas turkey''s football review? That way they might, with enough public outrage, make him write an apology - or better...[/quote]

Why should he apologies about his opinions. He felt we rolled over, he expressed his views - it''s his job.

Smudge, his actual football views were far overshadowed by the personal insults about people from Norfolk in general.  Things like making the place stink and good riddance are not good journalism.  They guy was obviously hurt from the press conference and has made himself look pretty childish and stupid by using his column as a vehicle to seek revenge on Nigel, totally pathetic.

I haven''t lived in Norfolk for over 16 years now, but I was so angry when I read that.

If you read my email to him again Smudge you will see why I felt so angry....personal comments about people from Norwich have NO place in football reviews...it was very unprofessional.

The idiot Woolnough has done this before to Crystal Palace in 1997-98 according to this Palace Forum...

(Excerpt from http://forums.cpfc.org/showthread/t-10971.html)

Tell you another ****** who always tries to get a cheep laugh out of Palace. The geezer who writes in the Sun, Brian ********* can’t think of his name right now but he is a real big ***** *****. Yep I really hate him as well.
:grrr:

----------------------------

No seriously, Brian Woolnough is his name. I''ve seen him on Sky a few times and he thinks he''s something but he writes for the Stun so he is really a nothing, more like Brian WoolNOUGHT.

If memory serves me right wasn''t this the same bloke who back in the 1997-98 season when we were in the Premiership said that we when we go down it would be good riddance. :grrr:

----------------------------

(Excerpt from http://forums.cpfc.org/showthread/t-1923.html)

The media were out to get us that season, remember Brian Woolnough aka Mr Punch, saying on Sky, he couldn''t wait to see us get relegated, that the club was rotten and quote: "Good Riddance" unquote

I cannot believe people are getting so worked up over a comment referring that the team go back to the "sticks". The way people have taken offence to this remark and the way people have replied in anger is laughable. In his opinion he did not think the team showed as much sprit as people from Norwich - how is this offensive??. After reading about two Emails he''s probably filed them accordingly.

This journalist is entitled to his opinion and I respect that. So, maybe he will respect my opinion. Woolnough, you are a ****ing a*se! Maybe you should take off your Chelsea tinted spectacles and realise that there is more to the premiership than a rich ruskie buying anything that can walk. If you think we are bad, try watching West Brom!

For your information smudge..the "journalist" has received over 500 emails...please re-read his comments and try and understand that this is not professional...anyone can see that. Opinions on football are one thing....personal remarks against people from Norwich and where we live are unrelated...how would people from other areas feel if journalists said "everyone from up north likes gravy" in a footy review! (just for the record I am from Norwich and now live in Leeds and they don''t!!)

Dear oh dear...lets not give this journo any more attention...ridiculous...hope his email has locked up!!

Smudge, if you read Rick Waghorn''s excellent piece in tonight''s EEN I think it might give you some idea of why so many City fans have been moved sufficiently to write something to this ignoramus, regardless of what his response (or lack of it) is and regardless of how those replies will be interpreted by the ''man'' (and I use the term loosely) himself or any other people who write in the public domain for a living.  I''d like to think that if I was privileged enough to be paid for doing something I love doing, i.e. writing about sport, that I would be a darned sight more objective and professional than he has been!