Sign in to follow this  
Splendid Rush

Please respond to this ignorant journalist

People like this prat make me sick. Good riddance? So next season Wigan Reading and ipswipe will do soooo much better than us? West Brom under Robson will battle away? Probably the most stupid comment of the lot. 4-0 at Brum sorts that out. As for Crystal Palace have spirit... yes and not a lot else.

Typical lazy journo scum, they either ignore us completely or ridicule us, half the time they haven''t even been at the games ....... we''ll have the last laugh come the end of the season, that''s when we should e-mail him!

Brian

Yes, very objective piece of "journalism", did you actually attend the game? I think that you''ll find that we''re not the first team to be savaged by Chelsea this season and we certainly won''t be the last. I find your comments particularly bitter and quite childish, if West Brom and Palace are better than us why are they below us in the league? Do you maybe think that they will go to Chelsea and win this season? Your mocking of a promoted club is lazy journalism and a cheap shot without appearing to know anything about Norwich City, yes we''ll struggle but we''ll be happy to take 4th from bottom this season, or perhaps you think that there is no place for the small club in the Premier league and you think we should be replaced by the likes of Reading or Wigan?

Good riddance to you     

That is the mail I sent the scumbag, I had to be very restrained, I think the police would have got involved if I''d actually sent what I wanted to say!!!!

And here''s one I sent earlier:

I know that you''re job is to be contentious to help sell papers through provoking a response, but I have not read such un-educated and blatantly bigoted drivel as your comments on Norwich City in todays paper.

You clearly have not ventured out of the cosy boxes of Chelsea and Arsenal very much to appreciate the passion, effort and all round sense of community that supporting a club like Norwich is all about. Ask Jonathan Pearce his views after coming to Carrow Road the previous week when we beat Bolton? But I guess he''s a football supporter not a pretentious hack.

You clearly watched the game with a strange set of spectacles - even Jose Mourinho was more  gracious in his views of our performance, and recognises effort, endeavour and the degree of skill that a 4 million pound squad put in on the day (add a nought to that for the value of the Chelsea bench): but then again what would he know?

I will be looking forward to e-mailing you at the end of the season once we have retained our position in the Premier league, and in the meantime suggest you get out more, and in touch with what football is really about to the majority of the country (including your readers strangely enough).

I must be out of touch...I didn''t realise anyone actually bought the Star ,I always thought it was in the shops in case they ran out of Andrex.

Christ, what an *******e. I look forward to

(a) Him being banned from Carrow Road so that his seat may be given to someone more deserving

and

(b) a challenge being set. If we stay up he has to eat an entire copy of the Daily Star in the centre circle.

Actually, going back to (a), I think the club should publicly make a show of giving the seat he would normally get to a deserving fan be they handicapped or of limited means etc for the rest of the season. I''m sure he won''t mind having to come out to ''the sticks''

Dear Sir,

I''m writing to express my suprise at your article concerning Norwich City.

It makes me wonder how articles like this can make it into widely distributed and read newspapers such as The Daily Star. Despite the majority of the general public not caring a bit about your paper and its views (as can be seen by the paper''s rather lacklustre sales) it still should be said that many (perhaps misguided) people turn to your paper for accurate and fair judgements on general news, sport and entertainment gossip. For that reason, I''d like to set you straight on your article concerning Norwich City.

Firstly, yes, Norwich played Chelsea on Saturday and lost 4-0. But if you remember, just two weeks before, Chelsea played Newcastle. Chelsea won by the same scoreline. Did you tear into Newcastle with such venom then? I don''t think so. Perhaps this is because you''re afraid of being castrated by several hundred geordie Newcastle fans, and maybe you thought that East Anglian folk aren''t so frightening a crowd. Whatever the reason, my argument is still valid - we lost by the same amount as Newcastle did, yet you still think we embarrassed ourselves, and Newcastle didn''t.

Secondly, have you heard of a gentlman named Jose Mourinho? Currently manager of aforesaid Chelsea? Yes, the arrogant man who has previously stated that Manchester Utd and Arsenal have no chance of winning the title over his team? Well, he actually came out and stated we were the better team in the first half. How can a team who is better in the first half, "arrived with the attitude that Chelsea would win and hope that it wouldn''t be too embarrassing"?. I tend to think that a man who has managed a team to the European Championship knows a bit more than your average sports journalist - especially as it appears Jose was actually at the match.

Next, how many games have you seen by Norwich, Crystal Palace and WBA? Yes, Palace have some fight in them (although maybe not as much since being beaten last week by Spurs 5-1 - a team we drew against? Do you remember?), but I can''t believe you think WBA have a better attitude than we do. A cursory glance over message boards nationwide will reveal to you that fans already call for Robson''s head, and after losing a whopping 4-0 to fellow strugglers Birmingham (yet another team we drew against, I''m beginning to see a pattern here!) those calls are just getting louder.

Meanwhile, Norwich are doing much better. There''s a reason we are fourth from bottom, and that''s because we''ve gone to places such as St James Park, White Hart Lane and St Andrew''s (for the uninformed, that''s Newcastle, Tottenham and Birmingham) and force draws. Palace and WBA have both lost to these teams - and some of them at home.

And let''s not forget, we''re missing four of our regular first team members on long term injuries. How do you think Palace would be doing with Andy Johnson and Wayne Routledge in their side, out on long term injuries?

What I''d also like to know is why release this article now? If you''d have released it after the Charlton match, it would''ve been accepted - that day we were awful. Against Fulham as well we were terrible. We''ve also had some good matches - do you remember Man Utd v Norwich? We lost 2-1, but gave a good account for ourselves. What about Newcastle v Norwich where we clawed back from 2-0 down to 2-2 for a good point? And Tottenham v Norwich where we held an on-form Spurs (with Jermaine Defoe on fine form) to a draw? And Norwich v Bolton, where we beat the on-form team of the moment (excluding Everton) to a 3-2 victory? All these games showed character of the highest order, and have staked a claim as to why we deserve to be here.

As for your comment "I hope they go down, and good riddance" - well everyone''s entitled to an opinion. But next season when we''re playing Chelsea at Carrow Road, we''ll be sure to give you a big welcome.

Thanks a lot,

Andrew Nickerson

Don''t buy The Star everyone! Not that many people did anyway I''m sure. The people of Liverpool managed to wipe out The Sun''s circulation in their city (although the insult was obviouly much greater on that occasion). 

I e-mailed the following to Brian W :

I read with disgust a section of your article in the Daily Star which appeared on the official Norwich City website.  From your comments it is obvious that you have seen very few of our matches this season otherwise you would have witnessed a team giving their best week after week.  We may not have the best players in the league but we do try and pass the ball and play some good football.  We also have one of the best discipline records in the Premiership.  As for the Chelsea game, we were well beaten but Jose Mourinho in comments after the match stated that Norwich had surprised his team in the first half  with bright passing football and that Chelsea, despite the scoreline, did not have control of the first half. 
I realise that your article is deliberately designed to stir things up in order to try and sell more copies of the paper but I have never bought the Daily Star and writing such as this convinces me that  I should avoid your publication in the future.

unbelievable - what a tit. even if he wrote that about palace or the baggies i wouldn''t be impressed. was he not on the planet for the bolton game? he is a football journalist after all. what is coming from behind twice to win if not figthing spirit, grit and determination?

i would respond but i don''t think i can be bothered to spare the idiot the time. and it seems you fine people have already done a good job responding to him. well done!

Here is what i sent to this pathetic journalist

I think your comments are well out of order and you are disgrace to your profession. laceName>NorwichlaceName> laceType>CitylaceType> has played with real commitment this season and has also tried to play football at the same time. Of course the gulf between the multi millionaire clubs and poor clubs like City is huge – what do you expect????  The biggest problem in the premiership is the clubs like Chelsea and Arsenal who fill their teams with foreigners and deprive our English youngsters from developing. As far as we are concerned dump Chelsea, Arsenal and Man Utd out of the Premier – send them packing to Europe and then lets get on with our wonderful game and where dirty Russian money doesn’t rule the game.

Get a life you sad reporter.

This is what I wrote, couldn''t be bothered to be articulate about it:

Mr Woolnough, 

Do you actually know anything about football?

This is what Jose Mourinho had to say about the Chelsea/Norwich game: (Mourinho is the Chelsea manager by the way, I can imagine you didn''t know that...)

Mourinho: "They surprised us. They came with a good attitude, they played some good football and they put pressure on us."

Ah, so Champions League winner Jose Mourinho said Norwich came with a good attitude...oh dear Mr Woolnough, looks like you got it wrong.

Now back to you article, you claim:

"West Brom under Bryan Robson will continue to battle away" Is this the same West Brom that are 5 points behind Norwich and haven''t won under Robson? Is this the same West Brom that got hammered 4-0 by a under achieving Birmingham?

"Crystal Palace have some spirit about them" Is this the same Crystal Palace who got beat 5-2 by Man Utd and are a point behind Norwich? When Norwich played Man Utd at Old Trafford, the result was 2-1 to Man Utd...hmmmm, your article is starting to look rather silly isn''t it Mr Woolnough?

I could pick apart every aspect of you article; a poor journalistic piece, not fit for even The Daily Star...but I will not bother.

Many Thanks...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That''s it...hope he enjoy''s reading it!

I''ve just been talking about this on a Chelsea site and they are amazed at what he''s said.  Hopefully some of them will also e-mail this bile-infested individual and give him a more balanced view of what our club, City and supporters are all about.  Chelsea fans I''ve spoked too were more than impressed despite their win.

Quite agree with that susie - those that we were stuck on the broken down tube with were pretty complimentary and all felt we have the attitude at least for winning our title this season: the won called premiership Survival.

This guy is a disgrace and we should all be emailing him with our protests. I am interested to know whether Joe Ferrari will be barring him from his media area at Carrow Road. Anyways below is what I have emailed the fat Tw*t:

Mr Woolnough,

I have seen a great amount of fellow football supporters have already responded to your disgusting article about Norwich City. Well here is another one for you. I doubt very much that you will read this or any other let alone respond to any but I do not really care about that but it just angers me that you get paid a good salary to inflict your amature views of a game you obviously know nothing about. I would put good money that you have never kicked a ball in your life. I would just like to know how much Football you have actually seen Norwich play this season? Obviously against a side like Chelsea everyone would expect Norwich to get a hammering. Yes If you just look at the result it would appear that we did... but no. We put together a solid display, especially in the first half but were let down by two misplaced passes for the first two goals and subject to an excellent team move for the 3rd goal. You are just having an easy swipe at a small club and  I guess this must make you feel very big and clever. Does it Mr Woolnough?

If you listen to people who do know the game and are widely respected within its circles (everything which you are not) like Jose Mourinho who claimed Norwich were the better side in the first half. These sentiments were also echoed on Sky Soccer Saturday where the pundits have often praised us for the spirit and resolve shown by the team. We have come back from conceding the first goal on 9 occasions this season. Does that sound like a team with no character? Not really does it.

I think it would be a good idea for you to apologise for this unnecessary outburst on Norwich but if you are not man enough to do this how about proposing a Rodney Marsh style challenge where he said he would shave his head if Bradford stayed up. They did and he duly went bald. How about WHEN we stay up you stop reporting and do us all a favour you waste of journalistic space....I am just glad that this article will only appear in the Daily Star so we know only a handfull of people will be subjected to it.

I await in vain for your response

Rob Henry

Im sure this was the guy on Goals on Sunday with Jimmy Hill on Sky Sports One, and he said much the same thing. Jimmy was quite complimentary as was a journo from the Times, saying we would take fourth from bottom and we had done well etc. W******gh tipped Palace, West Brom and Norwich for the drop. Well thats original, I havent heard that before. Im sure it was the Times guy saying the bottom of the league was more interesting than the top and its not about the race to win but the race to stay up (as we all know) though he conceded the gap was widening probably to the detriment of football as a whole. This, whilst not great, is at least a bit more balanced - http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,277-1410190,00.html

I never liked the Daily Star anyway, no great loss, but I doubt W******gh even saw the game.

I wish I had a regular order for this rag, just so I could go out and cancel it !

Congratulations to our excellent posters who sent such well worded emails to this chap, but I rather fear you are all far too eloquent for that crumby columnist !

Well i sent this to him,short,sweet & to the point....um i think.

Well Woolly,you really are a tosser to the highest degree !
Did you actually watch the match,or were you to busy brown nosing it?
Norwich played aswell as anyone who has gone to Chelsea this season & although they didnt muster many chances they had Chelsea flustered for much of the 1st half & probably would have been 0 - 0 at half time if not for some schoolboy error defending.
We loook forward to your next visit to Carrow Road you pleb!

This was my two pennorth'' for the halfwit hack

Dear Mr Woolnough,

After reading excerpts from your article headlined “Canaries not Worthy of the Top Flight” I felt compelled to write to express my utter disdain at what is clearly nothing more than a pathetic attempt to wind up Norwich City FC and its loyal followers.  I take particular exception to remarks like “Norwich’s dreadful attitude…” and “Norwich will stink the place out with similar performances…”  I would be interested to know how many matches you have actually seen Norwich play?  I am also assuming that coming back twice against a team like Bolton (and eventually winning) does not constitute the same kind of “spirit” that Palace have about them, or a “battling” nature that West Brom obviously have in abundance?    

In my opinion, (although I’m sure I am not alone), you have clearly shown yourself to be little more than a pretentious, belittling, bigoted hack.  The one good thing to come out of this nonsense is that the sensationalist red top you “write” for (and I use the term loosely) has probably lost a few more readers…yes, we do get newspapers out here “in the sticks”.  A poor effort at journalism, not worth the paper it was printed on.

...even halfwit is being generous...

ALL THE GEAR NO IDEA?

MR Woolnough or is that woolnumtpy
                      you obviously no nothing about football and only see what your blinkered opinion lets you see you are obviously a very creditble reporter writing for the daily star.

Norwich will finish above your beloved crystal palace and west brom and two or three other teams that are down the bottom of the table i think we only lost 2-1 to man utd not 5-1 and which team in the top three beat bolton none i think

so do your self a favour come to carrow rd and you will some proper honest British football not this shirt pulling swallow diving crap that you normally watch so we had a bad game have you seen every game we have played I bet not don''t be so blinkered with your opinions give nigel worthington £160 million and i am sure we would have done better but then again how much have west brom spent? by the way i am responding to a link on the official norwich website canaries.co.uk

TwoSheds that is quality, lol

I too kept it simple as I couldn''t be bothered to waste more time than was necessary on this idiot:

Hmmmm,

Where is the Character, Norwich will continue to stink the place out?

Have you watched any of our other games this season?

Comparing your opinion to that of the Chelsea Manager is a simple answer to this rubbish that you printed. I know who I think has more of an idea about football and guess what, it isn''t you. Cheap insults buy you no creditability.

Your assumption that Palace''s spirit and West Brom battling will see them do better than us is laughable.

Kind regards,

[quote]Im sure this was the guy on Goals on Sunday with Jimmy Hill on Sky Sports One, and he said much the same thing. Jimmy was quite complimentary as was a journo from the Times, saying we would take fourt...[/quote]

Kent Canary, i think the guy you are refering to on the Jimmy Hill programme was big fat hairy Martin Samual. Another london hack who never ventures outside the capital, and also a very good friend of wooly.

I think Mr. Woolnough will be one of the first reporters  to have  his name chanted at a premier league ground, my money is on Carrow road, boxing day. If my memory serves me correctly Frank Mc Ghee of the Mirror wrote a similar report after a battling draw against Liverpool in our first season in the top flight. As everyone knows we stayed up and reached a cup final with Palace  WBA going down. Let''s hope history repeats itself.