Sign in to follow this  
Its only my opinion

Should we be looking to strengthen our 1st team not the squad?

I think we should try and find the money to stregthen the 1st team. I know it''s easier said than done and there is always a risk of things going wrong. But i would rather see us spend a little bit extra on a couple of players that will be good in the championship, than waste money on someone to sit on the bench and not be good enough if we go up. Am sure we can attract players from most championship teams considering the position we are in?? If we try n take the cheap option and go with the team we have, with a few back up players i can see all the hard work done already this season going to waste with a few injuries.Then we will never attract players in the summer and also lose some of our better squad players from this season.We don''t want to do a leeds and get stuck here. Is it, too big of a risk to budget the money we will get if we go up in this transfer window than wait till the summer when it might be to late...?

Would you class mcnamee as a 1st team player? Russell Martin would be. I would like to see an out and out striker too but I can''t see our board putting the money there.Would it have been a to big a risk to have try''d to tempt Ricky lambert here at the start of season aswell as Grant Holt  am sure with saint''s 10 point deduction we could have tempted him whats a million pound on vertually garenteed promotion. I would also like to see us sign a quality championship standard centre back. I hope at the end of the season we don''t miss out on promotion saying if only we had took a risk in january and signed quality players...

But you have to have the money to spend it. Sorry for repeating myself. If there is still a chance of not going up, we can''t go and spend 5 million only to then have no way of paying come the end of the season. If we were in Leeds'' position then maybe it would be ok to spend big money in this window, but until our promotion place is secured we shouldn''t overspend.

[quote user="scrimmage"]But you have to have the money to spend it. Sorry for repeating myself. If there is still a chance of not going up, we can''t go and spend 5 million only to then have no way of paying come the end of the season. If we were in Leeds'' position then maybe it would be ok to spend big money in this window, but until our promotion place is secured we shouldn''t overspend.
[/quote]

Are you Doncaster in disguise?

If we looked nailed on certs to go up what would be the point of buying in the january window when consensus is that prices are artificially inflated? Why not wait until the summer and build our squad then? It''s exactly because the top four are so competitive and that promotion is far from certain that we ned to go and spend some money and gamble on promotion this season because it seems from the statement coming out of the club that if we don''t we''ll be in the sh*t (pardon my french) anyway. A few hundred thousand spent on a player like Barnard really won''t matter either way if we don''t get promoted so why not take the risk and at least say that the club gave it their best shot. I find it ironic that someone with a "Delia out" signature is advocating that the club behave in a way now for which they have been lambasted in the past and which has contributed significantly to our current predicament.

Then do a Carl Moore, put your hand in your pocket and give the money to the club.

We have no money so where is this extra money supposed to come from? The bank? I doubt it.

What annoys me most about this is your advocating spending money but not saying anything about where we''re supposed to get the money from.

Davo

[quote user="Davo"]Then do a Carl Moore, put your hand in your pocket and give the money to the club. We have no money so where is this extra money supposed to come from? The bank? I doubt it. What annoys me most about this is your advocating spending money but not saying anything about where we''re supposed to get the money from. Davo[/quote]

Delia could sell a kidney? I realise that we have no money and i''m not saying that it will be easy to find but ultimately it will have to come from somewhere. I have no idea where from I''m not a financier and have no clue how these things work but what I have been led to believe is that basically the club is fucked if we don''t go up so some one somewhere is going to have to stump up! Another point is that if we don''t go up we''re likely to lose our best players to championship suides and so will be in an even worse postion than we are now.

And thanks for the advice about putting money into the club but I''ve been doing that for 15 years and if I had a few grand spare then I would.....

I think there is a bit of cash about, if not that much. Lambert does also have players he wants to offload who can be used as makeweights (though presumably they will only be wanted by sides in our division or lower).

The problem is that as others have said - if we go for broke and over-extend our finances only for it to fail, it could set us back several years. Whatever we do, it has to be done at least with an eye on that possibility.

I agree, but why fix what''s not broken, i hope we sign players that will look to break into our team. The diamond might crack eventually too! Lee barnard would be an excellent signing, but i''d want us to persevere with Holt and Martin and let Barnard blend in.