Sign in to follow this  
Chopper Harris

man u game 1970's

I remember a game a carrow road against Man Utd in the late 70''s. I was standing at the river end. I think we won 2-1. the away fans were in what is now the Barclay end and some of them got onto the top on the stand and started ripping the roof off. I was only young at the time and am not really sure i remember it as clearly as i think. Does anybody else remember the game and can you fill me in on the details?would be great if anybody who was there can help my feeble memory.cheers

The BBC made a documentary about this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jN9djmp_sjk&feature=related

and also...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qoDi8Ya-7XY&feature=related

...those were the bad old days and this was about as bad as it ever got in Norwich...I was about 17 at the time and a regular in the Barclay...but not on this occasion.

I remember   that game as well I was there travelled down from the midlands on train  and it  was  like  being  in manchester when I got to carrow road there was so many of them I would  normally  have  gone  to the  barclay but had  to go into the river  end  I was 23  at the time  so had  the haircut  and  fashion of the  day  but  I know  it  was the worst I have  ever  seen at  carrow road

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NF-68uFJWTM&NR=1

Blimey the Man U fans had 3 sections of the Barclay and invaded the Norwich section before kick off. Frightening, the bloke who fell through the roof got knocked of his strectcher by angry Norwich fans...

[quote user="Rupethebear"]Blimey the Man U fans had 3 sections of the Barclay and invaded the Norwich section before kick off. Frightening, the bloke who fell through the roof got knocked of his strectcher by angry Norwich fans...[/quote]

The Man Ure fans kicked all the asbestos sheeting from the back of the barclay and were hurling it at us at the bottom of the barclay grass slope like giant killer frisbees ! That was the first time I experienced that level of football violence...........worse than Millwall

I was there also - bloody animals - main reason I have such a hatred of them to this day.

Ripped the planks off the back of the Barclay, bloke did indeed fall off the roof and was kicked off the stretcher by Norwich fans.

My abiding memory of that day is that the police in attendance were covered from head to toe in gob!

Remember it well , quite scary it was too . I was standing outside the barclay and stuff was being thrown around everywhere . as for the game , i have a feeling kevin reeves scored both goals but i''m not 100 % on that .

Yes I was there (it was April 77). I remember Tommy Docherty coming on the pitch to try and placate the fans - to no avail. To this day I''m still annoyed that the violence overshadowed a brillant City performance.

i remember that day really well, I remember the bloke falling through the roof. He got such a kicking!. I also remember that scum throwing half bricks, oranges with razor blades in em and all sorts.