Sign in to follow this  
singing canary

charlton still slipping..

[quote user="singing canary"]only managed another draw . we still have to play them yet as well . charltons recent form has been poor .

second by the end of play saturday ..? please...!!![/quote]............................................ You sure about that then?

yes charlton have dropped 4 points over the last two games . we do still have to play them and thier current form over the last 8-10 games has been mid table standard.

1 Norwich City (5) 8 6 1 1 19 6 13 2.37 0.75 2.37 19 dWwWlwWW

2 Leeds United (1) 8 5 2 1 16 4 12 2.00 0.50 2.12 17 wWwlWDDw

3 Huddersfield Town (3) 8 5 0 3 19 6 13 2.37 0.75 1.87 15 WWwWlWll

4 Millwall (8) 8 4 3 1 16 7 9 2.00 0.87 1.87 15 LdWWwdWD

5 Colchester United (4) 8 4 3 1 13 8 5 1.62 1.00 1.87 15 dDlWdwWW

6 Southampton (22) 8 4 2 2 20 14 6 2.50 1.75 1.75 14 DLdWwwWL

7 Walsall (10) 8 4 2 2 14 9 5 1.75 1.12 1.75 14 dWwlWlDW

8 Yeovil Town (13) 8 3 4 1 9 9 0 1.12 1.12 1.62 13 DWlwWDdd

9 Swindon Town (9) 8 3 3 2 11 9 2 1.37 1.12 1.50 12 wwlLDwdD

10 Hartlepool United (12) 8 3 3 2 11 10 1 1.37 1.25 1.50 12 lWdWwDld

11 Exeter City (15) 8 3 3 2 13 13 0 1.62 1.62 1.50 12 wdWDllWD

12 Southend United (11) 8 4 0 4 10 10 0 1.25 1.25 1.50 12 WlWlWLwl

13 Milton Keynes Dons (6) 8 4 0 4 10 13 -3 1.25 1.62 1.50 12 llWlWWwl

14 Charlton Athletic (2) 8 2 4 2 10 10 0 1.25 1.25 1.25 10 dWldWDdl

15 Leyton Orient (17) 8 3 1 4 7 14 -7 0.87 1.75 1.25 10 WlDlWLwl

16 Oldham Athletic (14) 8 2 3 3 7 8 -1 0.87 1.00 1.12 9 DlLwLdDW

17 Brentford (16) 8 2 3 3 10 12 -2 1.25 1.50 1.12 9 DDlWldLW

18 Bristol Rovers (7) 8 3 0 5 12 20 -8 1.50 2.50 1.12 9 WWlLLllw

19 Carlisle United (19) 8 2 2 4 11 13 -2 1.37 1.62 1.00 8 LlWWlLdd

20 Brighton & Hove Albion (20) 8 2 2 4 11 14 -3 1.37 1.75 1.00 8 LwDLlWdL

21 Gillingham (18) 8 2 1 5 7 14 -7 0.87 1.75 0.87 7 lWlDllWl

22 Tranmere Rovers (24) 8 2 0 6 5 16 -11 0.62 2.00 0.75 6 llLlWLlw

23 Wycombe Wanderers (23) 8 1 2 5 8 16 -8 1.00 2.00 0.62 5 wlLdDlLL

24 Stockport County (21) 8 1 1 6 5 18 -13 0.62 2.25 0.50 4 LlLlLwLD

this was up untill 22nd november john .. and they have not done much since then .

[quote user="singing canary"]the fixture is 17th april 2010.[/quote]

Your original point made it sound like you thought we had not yet played them.  Obviously we still have a game to play against them later on as we play all sides twice and that is normally done once each in the 1st and 2nd half of the season.  Thus the highlghted portion of your orininal point by the other commenter.   But yes, Charlton seem to be sh!tt!ng the bed lately so a win at Wallsall would have put us in 2nd.

Charlton hardly seem to be coming apart at the seams. They are unbeaten over the past nine games, averaging just over two points a game ( promotion form ). They have dropped points in their recent two home games but their opposition were not exactly at the wrong end of the table. It is a relative thing because Norwich have been doing so well. We obviously need to keep it up so that we can move above Charlton in the standings. Hopefully, this will happen after Saturday''s games.

the thing is now the confidence norwich must have . our poor form was at the start of the season and with any team it takes time for the players and management to gell. charlton flew out of the blocks and at one point it looked as if it was a two way race between them and leeds. charlton had two players sent off saturday and must be getting a bit nervous with norwich chomping at thier heels. i just have a feeling charlton will now lose alot of pace over the next couple of months .

[quote user="YankeeCanary"]Charlton hardly seem to be coming apart at the seams. They are unbeaten over the past nine games, averaging just over two points a game ( promotion form ). They have dropped points in their recent two home games but their opposition were not exactly at the wrong end of the table. It is a relative thing because Norwich have been doing so well. We obviously need to keep it up so that we can move above Charlton in the standings. Hopefully, this will happen after Saturday''s games.[/quote]

3 points in 3 games is not promotion form. Compared to the previous 6 games you cite, they are sh!tt!ng the bed quite badly at the moment, and I would not be at all surprised if they are looking over their collective shoulders right now.

[quote user="Houston Canary"]

[quote user="YankeeCanary"]Charlton hardly seem to be coming apart at the seams. They are unbeaten over the past nine games, averaging just over two points a game ( promotion form ). They have dropped points in their recent two home games but their opposition were not exactly at the wrong end of the table. It is a relative thing because Norwich have been doing so well. We obviously need to keep it up so that we can move above Charlton in the standings. Hopefully, this will happen after Saturday''s games.[/quote]

3 points in 3 games is not promotion form. Compared to the previous 6 games you cite, they are sh!tt!ng the bed quite badly at the moment, and I would not be at all surprised if they are looking over their collective shoulders right now.

[/quote]

You need to learn to stop stating the obvious Houston ( we are all aware of your highlighted comment ) and look at the bigger picture. Charlton are still doing well for the reasons I stated. Three games does not a season make. Otherwise Chelsea would have packed their bags when drawing a few games recently like Charlton did. You need to look at how Charlton are performing when speaking to form. They are putting on good performances. It''s not just the result over three games. That''s why the word "form" is part of "perform."

Only one poster that I am aware of expected Norwich to gain 26 points from their last 30. That''s why Charlton are looking over their shoulder. Not because they are doing what you suggest in the bed.

the thing is as i said charlton flew out the blocks to start with . saturday they lost two key players who will be suspended . charltons form in november was not anything to write home about . colchester are the team we should be worried about .

[quote user="YankeeCanary"][quote user="Houston Canary"]

[/quote]

You need to learn to stop stating the obvious Houston ( we are all aware of your highlighted comment ) and look at the bigger picture. Charlton are still doing well for the reasons I stated. Three games does not a season make. Otherwise Chelsea would have packed their bags when drawing a few games recently like Charlton did. You need to look at how Charlton are performing when speaking to form. They are putting on good performances. It''s not just the result over three games. That''s why the word "form" is part of "perform."

Only one poster that I am aware of expected Norwich to gain 26 points from their last 30. That''s why Charlton are looking over their shoulder. Not because they are doing what you suggest in the bed.

[/quote]

The most recent form of Charlton has been less than acceptable.  Who said 3 games a season makes?  9 games does not a season make either, Genius. Why are you assuming I mean things that are in no way present in my comments?  Does it make you feel smart to take what I say out of context and then criticize it?  Regardless of who they were playing,  they are Charlton FC and entrenched in 2nd place in the Division by a comfortable margin. In the last few games, that margin has dwindled down to 1 good result by us.

Charlton are looking over their shoulders now MORE THAN EVER because of that 1 result difference.  There is no mutli-game margin of safety for them, thanks to Millwall''s extremely late equalizer (or their extremely late choke).  Okay, Millwall are not bottom 3, but we beat them quite handily, didn''t we. We have timed our losses well, coming during cup matches.

Who expected us to get 26 out of 30 points anyways?  Who was looking that far ahead that long ago?  What does he see for us in May?

I don''t think I took your comment out of context Houston. Take a good look at it yourself, and also try to get an understanding of how a football manager assesses his teams performance ( or anyone who understands football for that matter ) then read your words and see if they make sense. Here I''ll play your words back to you in larger font ( although I''m not sure it will help you ):

"they are sh!tt!ng the bed quite badly at the moment"

My response was, "No, they are not, for the reasons I have stated." Nothing out of context there regarding your very clear words. The Charlton comeback to tie against Swindon was after going down to nine men at the end of the first half. Apart from that tie, Swindon had won six of their previous seven games. Brentford had been going at a pace of almost two points a match for their past several games when they tied Charlton. It''s not necessary to be a genius to understand situations but it is advisable to put your brain in gear before using extreme words to incorrectly define how a club is performing.

[quote user="Houston Canary"][quote user="YankeeCanary"][quote user="Houston Canary"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

The most recent form of Charlton has been less than acceptable.  Who said 3 games a season makes?  9 games does not a season make either, Genius. Why are you assuming I mean things that are in no way present in my comments?  Does it make you feel smart to take what I say out of context and then criticize it?  Regardless of who they were playing,  they are Charlton FC and entrenched in 2nd place in the Division by a comfortable margin. In the last few games, that margin has dwindled down to 1 good result by us.

Charlton are looking over their shoulders now MORE THAN EVER because of that 1 result difference.  There is no mutli-game margin of safety for them, thanks to Millwall''s extremely late equalizer (or their extremely late choke).  Okay, Millwall are not bottom 3, but we beat them quite handily, didn''t we. We have timed our losses well, coming during cup matches.

Who expected us to get 26 out of 30 points anyways?  Who was looking that far ahead that long ago?  What does he see for us in May?

[/quote]

Could it of been CT''s forecasts by any chance?  [:^)]

If so then maybe he could tell us what he sees from our results between now and the middle of March and also what he sees Chartlon and Leeds doing in that time???

I fully agree with what Houston is saying.  Once the gap between clubs gets to under 5 or 6 points with a number of games still to play then the team who once had set the pace usually starts to feel a little edgy and you can often see this within their game.  Take our promotion season and some of the nervous performances in March (West Ham at home and Crystal Palace away amongst others) as an example.

[quote user="Smudger"][quote user="Houston Canary"][quote user="YankeeCanary"][quote user="Houston Canary"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

If so then maybe he could tell us what he sees from our results between now and the middle of March and also what he sees Chartlon and Leeds doing in that time???

I fully agree with what Houston is saying.  Once the gap between clubs gets to under 5 or 6 points with a number of games still to play then the team who once had set the pace usually starts to feel a little edgy and you can often see this within their game.  Take our promotion season and some of the nervous performances in March (West Ham at home and Crystal Palace away amongst others) as an example.

[/quote]

It was indeed I who forecasted that we''d remain unbeaten in the last 9 or so games. If you want I''ll predict our January fixtures?

Oh and btw I''m going to take mondays called off game and see it as a draw (is how I predicted it after all [;)]).

[quote user="YankeeCanary"]

I don''t think I took your comment out of context Houston. Take a good look at it yourself, and also try to get an understanding of how a football manager assesses his teams performance ( or anyone who understands football for that matter ) then read your words and see if they make sense. Here I''ll play your words back to you in larger font ( although I''m not sure it will help you ):

My response was, "No, they are not, for the reasons I have stated." Nothing out of context there regarding your very clear words. The Charlton comeback to tie against Swindon was after going down to nine men at the end of the first half. Apart from that tie, Swindon had won six of their previous seven games. Brentford had been going at a pace of almost two points a match for their past several games when they tied Charlton. It''s not necessary to be a genius to understand situations but it is advisable to put your brain in gear before using extreme words to incorrectly define how a club is performing.

[/quote]

I know you took my comment out of context, YC, because it is my comment and your responses to it are way off base. Though clearly written using simple words, you have a burning desire to impose meanings that are in no way implied.

Having 2 men sent off in the same game at a time when your team is under pressure to maintain their separation from the nearest challenger is a a fine example of sh!tt!ng the bed.  Gaining 3 points in 2 home and 1 local games after averaging so much more than that is another example of falling apart, choking, losing it, whatever you want to call it.

How a football manager assesses his team''s performance?  WHAT!?  What does that have to do with this discussion?  Over the last 3 games, high flying Charlton have dipped down considerably. Is their manager wondering what to do 9 games from now, of is he focussed on this Saturday?  It''s not even the point here, but on that front you are way off topic, too.  Stop commenting here. You''re making Americans look stupid. [;)][:D]

[quote user="Houston Canary"][quote user="YankeeCanary"]

[/quote]

I know you took my comment out of context, YC, because it is my comment and your responses to it are way off base. Though clearly written using simple words, you have a burning desire to impose meanings that are in no way implied.

Having 2 men sent off in the same game at a time when your team is under pressure to maintain their separation from the nearest challenger is a a fine example of sh!tt!ng the bed.  Gaining 3 points in 2 home and 1 local games after averaging so much more than that is another example of falling apart, choking, losing it, whatever you want to call it.

How a football manager assesses his team''s performance?  WHAT!?  What does that have to do with this discussion?  Over the last 3 games, high flying Charlton have dipped down considerably. Is their manager wondering what to do 9 games from now, of is he focussed on this Saturday?  It''s not even the point here, but on that front you are way off topic, too.  Stop commenting here. You''re making Americans look stupid. [;)][:D]

[/quote]

Ahh!! You''re an American. [:D]

[quote user="singing canary"]14 Charlton Athletic (2) 8 2 4 2 10 10 0 1.25 1.25 1.25 10 dWldWDdl  this was up untill 22nd november john .. and they have not done much since then .[/quote]Other than improve?
6Charlton Athletic (2)8440171162.121.372.0016dDDwWwWd
Current form would have us catch them very soon,
1Norwich City (3)8620216152.620.752.5020WWdWwWdW
but can we keep it up?

[quote user="promotion chasing CT "][quote user="Smudger"][quote user="Houston Canary"][quote user="YankeeCanary"][quote user="Houston Canary"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

It was indeed I who forecasted that we''d remain unbeaten in the last 9 or so games. If you want I''ll predict our January fixtures?

Oh and btw I''m going to take mondays called off game and see it as a draw (is how I predicted it after all [;)]).

[/quote]

Yes please CT... I would be interested to see you predict our own, Charlton,s and Leeds next 9 matches.

I have never seen the initial predictions of our own that you made, but somebody told me how well you had done in predicting our matches at the trip to the non event that was Walsall on Monday.

There you go Smudger, from our forecasting hero as of Sepember 11th. An amazing forecast with all correct heading into the Walsall game.

09/11/2009, 2:16 PM

promotion chasing CT  is not online. Last active: 29/12/2009 22:49:48 promotion chasing CT

Top 25 Posts
Joined on 21/02/2006
cambridge
Posts 6,811

In the lead up to 2010...

Reply Quote

what are your predictions for the next 9 league games?

Mine are as follows:

Tranmere H                   w
Southampton A              d
Brighton H                     w
Southend A                   w
Oldham H                      w
Yeovil A                         d
Huddersfield H                w
Milwall H                        w
Walsall A                         d

so thats 25 + 21 which is 46 points at the half way stage.

What do you guys think>?

YC wrote...Charlton hardly seem to be coming apart at the seams. They are unbeaten over the past nine games, averaging just over two points a game ( promotion form ). They have dropped points in their recent two home games but their opposition were not exactly at the wrong end of the table. It is a relative thing because Norwich have been doing so well. We obviously need to keep it up so that we can move above Charlton in the standings. Hopefully, this will happen after Saturday''s games.

And Unbeaten at home in 18 matches apparently. Not bad is it?

[quote user="Graham Paddons Beard"]

YC wrote...Charlton hardly seem to be coming apart at the seams. They are unbeaten over the past nine games, averaging just over two points a game ( promotion form ). They have dropped points in their recent two home games but their opposition were not exactly at the wrong end of the table. It is a relative thing because Norwich have been doing so well. We obviously need to keep it up so that we can move above Charlton in the standings. Hopefully, this will happen after Saturday''s games.

[/quote]

No, but over the last 2 1/2 seasons, they have not looked so good.  Who cares about the last 18 home games????  I was simply referring to their sudden run of winless games, not any long term or medium term run. For a 2nd place team, 3 points from 3 games, including 2 at home, is not good.  Feeding chicken bones to dogs is not good for the animal. You see, I could argue about non-topic stuff too, if you like but it doesn''t change the fact that I have clearly stated several times in this debate re: Charlton''s RECENT form.  [:^)]

[quote user="Houston Canary"][quote user="Graham Paddons Beard"]

[/quote]

No, but over the last 2 1/2 seasons, they have not looked so good.  Who cares about the last 18 home games????  I was simply referring to their sudden run of winless games, not any long term or medium term run. For a 2nd place team, 3 points from 3 games, including 2 at home, is not good.  Feeding chicken bones to dogs is not good for the animal. You see, I could argue about non-topic stuff too, if you like but it doesn''t change the fact that I have clearly stated several times in this debate re: Charlton''s RECENT form.  [:^)]

[/quote]

....and I have clearly pointed out to you several times Houston that FORM is different from RESULTS over three games. However, your long demonstrated desire to be right on almost any subject will cause you to continue to beat the drum. You could be a Portsmouth supporter. [:D] Now, if you want to focus on someone that is right in this thread, why don''t you drop your own ego and celebrate the input of "promotion chasing CT" who is on an incredible string of predicting correct results.

Smudger, the original target of this thread, was the one who referenced him.  I, the new target, called for input from him.  Now you are asking me to celebrate something I and the original target revived?  Uh uh, I already was. 

You can argue about FORM all you want and what it means to you.  Having 2 men sent off in 1 game is not good form.  Choking away an incredible comeback and lead to tie at home is not good form. Charlton appear to have lost the killer instinct, the ability to shut a team down, something a 2nd place team normally has in order to become a 2nd place team. That is not good form. 

When did you become the arbiter of the definition of "form" anyways?  The results of late are most likely indicitive of their form unless you think the opposition are just lucky.

How''s this to satisfy your ego.  By your definition, you are right and I am wrong.  According to my understanding of what I am saying (and I should know), I am right. I tend to think you are missing something here.  You obviously missed Smudger and I celebrating CT''s omnicience earlier in the thread as you asked me to start celebrating it now.  That''s okay, New Yawk.

Quote houstoncanary

"How''s this to satisfy your ego. By your definition, you are right and I am wrong. According to my understanding of what I am saying (and I should know), I am right. I tend to think you are missing something here. You obviously missed Smudger and I celebrating CT''s omnicience earlier in the thread as you asked me to start celebrating it now. That''s okay, New Yawk."

Sounds to me like it is your EGO that is being fed here rictard(houstoncanary). You do have a pennant for slagging other posters off ,don''t you.