Sign in to follow this  
Pi$$ed As A Mattress

Statement From Charlton Website

The pigs were going to leave it till 2pm again today to call the game off. They dont learn do they.

Below is a statement from Charltons website.

Parkinson, who returned to the stadium for the second inspection, added: "The ref had to take the safety of the players into consideration.

"There was talk of leaving the decision until 2pm in the hope it would improve, but it was felt that wasn''t fair on fans.

"Of course, we wanted to play the game, and I feel for all those supporters who were no doubt on their way already, and had probably even arrived in the area already.

To an extent these things are always going to happen - it is what happens after that is important, ie refunds/free travel etc. and imo our club never lets us (or oppo fans, when our floodlights failed) down.

Has to be said that it can be far worse in cricket, I''ve travelled quite long distances to sit waiting about for 4-5 hours only for absolutely nothing to happen!

[quote user="Branston Pickle"]To an extent these things are always going to happen - it is what happens after that is important, ie refunds/free travel etc. and imo our club never lets us (or oppo fans, when our floodlights failed) down.

Has to be said that it can be far worse in cricket, I''ve travelled quite long distances to sit waiting about for 4-5 hours only for absolutely nothing to happen![/quote]Tell me about it! In 1979 I went to Lord''s for the England v India Test match - after just half an hour the heavens opened and Lord''s suffered the heaviest rainfall ever recorded for a Test match![8-|]

I won''t be surprised if Walsall complain that Lambert influenced the referee on this occasion as well - giving us the ideal opportunity to leapfrog Charlton.

[quote user="Mr_Chimp"]I won''t be surprised if Walsall complain that Lambert influenced the referee on this occasion as well - giving us the ideal opportunity to leapfrog Charlton.[/quote]

My sentiments exactly. Today''s Walsall postponement is undoubtedly the work of Paul Lambert.

Why cant they just use a bit of common sense and call the thing off in the morning instead of leaving it till that last minute?Also as other people have stated surely Walsall need to apologize to us and charlton as putting those barrels on the pitch on monday was bad enough but to not get it properly sorted out twice in a week is pathetic and to blame it on lambert was very low

[quote user="seby1991"]Why cant they just use a bit of common sense and call the thing off in the morning instead of leaving it till that last minute?

Also as other people have stated surely Walsall need to apologize to us and charlton as putting those barrels on the pitch on monday was bad enough but to not get it properly sorted out twice in a week is pathetic and to blame it on lambert was very low
[/quote]

Perhaps they were expecting the temperature to go up enough to defrost the pitch by mid afternoon.  Barring a cold front moving in, temperatures typically rise during the day until late afternoon. That''s science.  I read it in a book.

[quote user="Tim Allman"]

From a Walsall site -

http://www.walsall.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=183237[/quote]Not sure what his problem is, to be fair.  His Club have been unable to fulfill fixtures on two consecutive occasions, with their backroom/playing staff using every opportunity to promote the idea that we ordered the game to be called off and, the latest one, we simply ''didn''t fancy it'' rather than admitting their cold weather provisions are totally inadequate. All a bit too sensitive.

[quote user="Mr_Chimp"][quote user="Tim Allman"]

From a Walsall site -

http://www.walsall.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=183237[/quote]

Not sure what his problem is, to be fair.  His Club have been unable to fulfill fixtures on two consecutive occasions, with their backroom/playing staff using every opportunity to promote the idea that we ordered the game to be called off and, the latest one, we simply ''didn''t fancy it'' rather than admitting their cold weather provisions are totally inadequate.

All a bit too sensitive.

[/quote]

I see a big fine coming on for them,

[quote user="pete_norw"][quote user="Mr_Chimp"][quote user="Tim Allman"]

From a Walsall site -

http://www.walsall.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=183237[/quote]Not sure what his problem is, to be fair.  His Club have been unable to fulfill fixtures on two consecutive occasions, with their backroom/playing staff using every opportunity to promote the idea that we ordered the game to be called off and, the latest one, we simply ''didn''t fancy it'' rather than admitting their cold weather provisions are totally inadequate. All a bit too sensitive.

[/quote]

[/quote]I''m not sure of that but they can surely expect some kind of comeback seeing as they reported us to the Football League (?!)

[quote user="Mr_Chimp"][quote user="pete_norw"][quote user="Mr_Chimp"][quote user="Tim Allman"]

From a Walsall site -

[/quote]

[/quote]I''m not sure of that but they can surely expect some kind of comeback seeing as they reported us to the Football League (?!)[/quote]Unfortunately they didn''t actually report us, so the FA can''t respond as though they did. They simply made their feelings known.

[quote user="judderman"][quote user="Mr_Chimp"][quote user="pete_norw"][quote user="Mr_Chimp"][quote user="Tim Allman"]

From a Walsall site -

[/quote]

[/quote]I''m not sure of that but they can surely expect some kind of comeback seeing as they reported us to the Football League (?!)[/quote]Unfortunately they didn''t actually report us, so the FA can''t respond as though they did. They simply made their feelings known.[/quote]Ah, my mistake.  Still very silly to take it anywhere ''officially''.

"Not all the clubs in League One had been in the Premiership and do not have undersoil heating, and neither do they have the fund to do so."

Well why the bloody hell hasn''t your club budgeted for one, they''re not a new invention!

We sold David Phillips to install ours-or so the story goes! FFS, that was in 1993 and we were pretty late catching on ourselves!

They had the money to pay for the gimmick that was appointing Paul Merson as their Manager-and enough to pay him off when he was sacked. Maybe if the board had been a bit more circumpsect at that time, they''d still be a Championship club?

They got £1 Million for one of their players a couple of years ago-where did that all go?

Paying back the debts from the Merson fiasco I expect.

They are looking to blame anyone they can aside from their poor infrastructure and lack of planning and aforethought, especially as goes a pretty standard ground facility. They are pathetic.

I think if there is any chance a game could be off they should give 24 hours notice to the travelling fans if possible.

As a speedway supporter we have rain off''s, but normally the meetings are called off in the morning or sometimes the night before if the forcast doesn''t look good to stop fans travelling, or travelling too far. 

Do these football club owners/managers not look at the weather forcasts?

[quote user="Old Shuck"]"Not all the clubs in League One had been in the Premiership and do not have undersoil heating, and neither do they have the fund to do so."[/quote]Wonder how they can explain Wycombe''s undersoil heating then...

i know premiership clubs need undersoil heating - but surely measures need to be put in place for all league clubs? Its stupid that games get called off so regular at this time of the year - we know its going to freeze!